• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court Justices Say the Darndest Things

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Just a reminder not to honor the source of a pronouncement over what your own heart and mind tell you. Smart and powerful people make huge mistakes, too.

From Oliver Wendell Holmes in Buck v. Bell, justifying a eugenics statute that required forced sterilization of "mentally retarded" people:

We have seen more than once that the public welfare may call upon the best citizens for their lives. It would be strange if it could not call upon those who already sap the strength of the State for these lesser sacrifices, often not felt to be such by those concerned, to prevent our being swamped with incompetence. It is better for all the world, if instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime, or to let them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit from continuing their kind. The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes . . . Three generations of imbeciles are enough.

From Chief Justice Roger Tawney, in Dred Scott v. Sanford, explaining . . . well . . . it's pretty self-explanatory, but making sure there was no legal protection for escaped slaves:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The question is simply this: can a negro, whose ancestors were imported into this country and sold as slaves, become a member of the political community formed and brought into existence by the Constitution of the United States, and as such become entitled to all the rights, and privileges, and immunities, guarantied by that instrument to the citizen . . . [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]It is difficult at this day to realize the state of public opinion in relation to that unfortunate race, which prevailed in the civilized and enlightened portions of the world at the time of the Declaration of Independence, and when the Constitution of the United States was framed and adopted. But the public history of every European nation displays it in a manner too plain to be mistaken.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]They had for more than a century before been regarded as beings of an inferior order; and altogether unfit to associate with the white race, either in social or political relations; and so far inferior, that they had no rights which the white man was bound to respect; and that the negro might justly and lawfully be reduced to slavery for his benefit. He was bought and sold, and treated as an ordinary article of merchandise and traffic, whenever a profit could be made by it. This opinion was at that time fixed and universal in the civilized portion of the white race. It was regarded as an axiom in morals as well as in politics, which no one thought of disputing, or supposed to be open to dispute; and men in every grade and position in society daily and habitually acted upon it in their private pursuits, as well as in matters of public concern, without doubting for a moment the correctness of this opinion[/SIZE][/FONT].

Strict historical construction of the law is a lovely vehicle for the most reprehensible of human evils.

doppelganger

You should have the year for these...
The particular issues were decided the way they were as a product of their times, but the mode of reasoning is a timeless assault on compassion and love and goes on today in the form of strict constructionism.

Buck was 1927
Dred Scott was 1857

doppelganger

Also, I think it's worth noting that this is the intellectual soup in which Ayn Rand was writing. There's a strong eugenic undercurrent to her philosophy.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It's what happens every time we fail to acknowledge the dignity of every human being.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
doppelgänger;2498263 said:
Also, I think it's worth noting that this is the intellectual soup in which Ayn Rand was writing. There's a strong eugenic undercurrent to her philosophy.
Well there's an interpretation of Rand's writing I hadn't seen before.
Never got that out of her works myself....but then, I only read a few (tedious stuff).
Anyway, if you're arguing that strict constructionism is behind the despised quotes in the OP, then I don't buy it.
Looks like more justices espoused personal opinions rather than citing Constitutional references.
(Perhaps you're referring to stare decisis instead.)
If your goal is to bash Rand or that judicial philosophy, you haven't made a cogent argument yet.
Evil will use whatever tools are at hand, be they strict constructionism, stare decisis, original intent, amendment by fiat, the "living Constitution", or any other philosophy.

Last edited:

doppelganger

I'm not referring to "stare decisis."

This pretty well sums up Rand's eugenic leanings:

Daily Kos: Ayn Rand, Eugenics, and "Lesser Breeds"

BTW, just listened to dramatic readings of several of Clarence Darrow's closing arguments, including his argument in the Leopold and Loeb case and the Sweet case. He was a brilliant orator.

If you're interested in mysticism and the philosophy of religion, check out the Darrow-Lewis debates on the "Theory of Non-resistance to Evil." It's fascinating to see what Darrow does with religion in that debate.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
doppelgänger;2498370 said:
I'm not referring to "stare decisis."
How are the justices' quotes in the OP a result of strict constructionism?

This pretty well sums up Rand's eugenic leanings:
Daily Kos: Ayn Rand, Eugenics, and "Lesser Breeds"
I started reading your linked article, but it seems just another bilious & empty polemic.
(It reminds me of the strained arguments by Darwin's foes that he inspired Hitler.)
Perhaps in your own words, & more briefly, you could show that Rand supported eugenics.
Certainly, if she did, she would've said so, & quotes could be found. That gal did speak her mind.

Wasn't her book, Anthem, against eugenics?

Last edited: