• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superstitions have got nothing to do with religion or science.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Much that presentes itself as religion is plain superstition.

As a matter of fact, very often it presents itself specifically as revealed religion.

True religion (as I understand it) is not based on revelation at all, but rather on insight and dharma.
The real source of , knowledge, insight and dharma (eternal law of the cosmos) is Revelation.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Any held belief that cannot be supported by facts is called a superstition.

Superstitions aren't always fictitious nor are they always wrong. Just to prove they are real and right takes some justification; and, because there are none, that is the only reason why it's called a superstition.

It's not a bad word.

For example, I don't schedule anything more than a week in advance if that. Every single time I do 100 percent of the time something happens and I have to reschedule.

I am superstitious in that I believe the time I schedule my appointments affects whether or not my appointments would be canceled. If I don't listen to my "voice of reason" (what some call god and others call gut) something always goes wrong.

So, there is nothing wrong with my superstition even though it isn't based on reality. It is how I experience life and because I cannot support how time has anything to do with whether or not an schedule appointment won't be canceled, it is called a superstitious belief.

I call it a fact. That's me based on my experience. But by definition, it is not a fact because I cannot prove it. It's a belief. It can't be proven one way or another.

So if someone wants to call me superstitious, so be. But at least I don't spend two or three hours on bus and metro going to a two week ahead schedule appointment to realize the doctor I needed to see is sick but later I found I could have scheduled it the next day in my area when he was doing just fine.

It is what it is. People use belief, faith, religion, superstition, spirituality, interchangeably. But unless you can support it by facts, it is what it is.
"Any held belief that cannot be supported by facts is called a superstition."
I like and agree with the above sentence.
The result one obtained from the later illustration of changing the schedules is formed from experience, and is not superstition however.
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The result one obtained from the later illustration of changing the schedules is formed from experience, and is not superstition however.
Regards

It is superstition. Scheduling an appointment three weeks in advance doesnt double my chances of keeping the appointment if it were scheduled two days in advance. The two are not connected. However, based on my Experience, they are. It has became a superstitious belief that the time I schedule my appointments has anytbing to do with the natural cause and reaction of events. It doesnt objectively thats why its called superstition.

Can you proove how if I time my appointment a day before the holidays I will have less chance of cancellation than if I did two weeks before the holidays?

-

God is a "held belief" that cannot be supported by facts. When something good happens that cannot be justified, it is considered the work of god. When the "miracle" can be proven, it isnt. That is a superstition.

It has nothing to do with the justification being truebor false. It just means can you find universal justification to proove god exist (for example) without relying on personal experiences and perspective.

If you cannot, its considered superstition. Nothing wrong with that.

Whats wrong with the word superstition?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Regards

God is a "held belief" that cant be supported by facts. Its considered a superstitious belief.

Just because it cant be proven doesnt mean its false or fiction.

So whats wrong with the word superstition?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
God is a "held belief" that cant be supported by facts. Its considered a superstitious belief.

Just because it cant be proven doesnt mean its false or fiction.

So whats wrong with the word superstition?
Do the Atheism accept that their "no-god" position/no-position is based on superstition?
Religion is based on rational thinking and on rationality. Please
Regards

Shad

Veteran Member
The superstitions are based on ignorance , weak thinking and are whimsical.
The truthful religion is based on Revilation a valid source of knowledge. Science is based on application of scientific method devised by philosophy.
Superstitions have got nothing to do with religion philosophy and or science. Right? Please
Regards

Considering your religion contains not only the idea of magic but that magic is a reality your point is moot.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Do the Atheism accept that their "no-god" position/no-position is based on superstition

No. God does not exist. There is no position to be made. It is the same as saying Sabbeodro does not exist. The only reason we say it does not exist because the claim is said that it does. We are just saying "We believe the opposite".

If Thor does not exist to you, how do you consider that position a superstition?

Nothing exists. How can you place attributes and opinions on a non existant thing?

Religion is based on rational thinking and on rationality.

Some is and some is not. Buddhism is based on rational "thinking" because it focuses on developing the mind to a healthy unsuffering state and condition.

Deity-religions are not that of thought but of heart and faith. It is a superstition because it is not justified by facts but by beliefs. They are justified to you but the definition of superstition is talking about justification as a whole not how you justify your faith.

God does not exist. Thats a fact. I need no claim. It is what it is. Spirits exist but I cant claim it a fact based on MY experiences. Its a fact to me but if it is not justified universally, it is considered a superstition.

Nothing wrong with that. I go on with my day Knowing my family in spirits exist and help me. You can call it zumbowaki for all I care.

What is wrong with the word superstition?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
Do the Atheism accept that their "no-god" position/no-position is based on superstition
No. God does not exist. There is no position to be made. It is the same as saying Sabbeodro does not exist. The only reason we say it does not exist because the claim is said that it does. We are just saying "We believe the opposite".

If Thor does not exist to you, how do you consider that position a superstition?

Nothing exists. How can you place attributes and opinions on a non existant thing?
Here Atheism make a blunder. Instead of searching and comparing the attributes of different concepts of G-d and then accepting the right one, they resort to become altogether superstitious to deny Him.
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Here Atheism make a blunder. Instead of searching and comparing the attributes of different concepts of G-d and then accepting the right one, they resort to become altogether superstitious to deny Him.

How do you have superstitious beliefs on something that does not exist?

Maybe you are having trouble understanding how a person does not believe in god without needing to compare other god concepts to get to that conclusion?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
How do you have superstitious beliefs on something that does not exist?

Maybe you are having trouble understanding how a person does not believe in god without needing to compare other god concepts to get to that conclusion?
As do the Atheism believe in "no-god" concept without any positive justification.
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As do the Atheism believe in "no-god" concept without any positive justification.
Regards

God is a held belief that is not supported/justified by facts.

Atheism can be supported and justified by objective facts.

The former is superstition. Nothing wrong with that. The latter is not superstition by concrete definition. It can be supported by facts even if believers disagree with the facts presented.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Regards

Please follow me:

I have two palms out. The left holds an invisible cup. The right holds nothing. Using objective facts, support and justify how I have an invisible cup in my left hand?

And then support how I have nothing in my right hand.

Which one can you support, with what, and why do you think one is easier to support than the other when you can't see anything in my hands with your physical eyes?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
God is a held belief that is not supported/justified by facts.

Atheism can be supported and justified by objective facts.

The former is superstition. Nothing wrong with that. The latter is not superstition by concrete definition. It can be supported by facts even if believers disagree with the facts presented.
If one can justify Atheism and give positive and reasonable arguments, then why one does not believe in it to be true? Please
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If one can justify Atheism and give positive and reasonable arguments, then why one does not believe in it to be true? Please
Regards

Because a lot of Us believe in superstitions (beliefs, if you prefer) that help us with our well-being without the need for it to be proven by our five senses. We dont need objectivity to prove the authenticity of our beliefs. If we can admit its OUR belief not everyones, we are a step closer to unity among diversity. But muslim and christian beliefs are political; so, I dont think that will happen soon.

I see it a waste of time for christians and muslims and.... (well, Nichiren Shoshu buddhist to add a Joker in there) to try to convince their beliefs are facts.

The very nature of supernatural religions rely on superstition.

Your beliefs are not false.
They are not fictitious.

They just dont have objective justifable means to authenticate their truth to ALL people. They are not universal.

Let me turn he question around,

If your beliefs are not superstitious and can be justified by facts, why doesnt everyone KNOW they are true regardless if they want to believe in them or not?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The superstitions are based on ignorance , weak thinking and are whimsical.
The truthful religion is based on Revilation a valid source of knowledge. Science is based on application of scientific method devised by philosophy.
Superstitions have got nothing to do with religion philosophy and or science. Right? Please
Regards
would that include.....beads in your hand?
turning to Mecca when praying?
nodding your head at a Wall?
transforming bread and wine into body and blood?