• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superstitions have got nothing to do with religion or science.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The superstitions are based on ignorance , weak thinking and are whimsical.
The truthful religion is based on Revilation a valid source of knowledge. Science is based on application of scientific method devised by philosophy.
Superstitions have got nothing to do with religion philosophy and or science. Right? Please
Regards

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
What is something that you would say is superstitious, and what process did you go through to get to that conclusion?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The truthful religion is based on Revilation a valid source of knowledge. Science is based on application of scientific method devised by philosophy.
Superstitions have got nothing to do with religion philosophy and or science. Right? Please
Regards
Ha, but there is still superstitious beliefs going on, hell, devils, sin, and on and on it goes, don't try to wriggle your way out of it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Regards

There are superstitions in religion, science, just as there are in any other facet of our individual cultures and reality. Saying "good luck on the game" with the belief that by saying this will give him/her good luck is a form of superstition. Crossing one's fingers or "knocking on wood" are forms of superstitions.

While religiously, depending on the observer, superstitions can be how one blesses their food. Believing that god will bless your food and knowing he does are two different things. Believing someone will have bad luck if you break a mirror is different than knowing someone will when you break a mirror. The former is superstition-based on unjustified belief. The latter based on facts.

Religion is usually unjustifiable given that it's personal and each person's evidence isn't equivalent to another. It's based on a lot of superstition.

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
There are superstitions in religion, science, just as there are in any other facet of our individual cultures and reality. Saying "good luck on the game" with the belief that by saying this will give him/her good luck is a form of superstition. Crossing one's fingers or "knowing on wood" are forms of superstitions.

While religiously, depending on the observer, superstitions can be how one blesses their food. Believing that god will bless your food and knowing he does are two different things. Believing someone will have bad luck if you break a mirror is different than knowing someone will when you break a mirror. The former is superstition-based on unjustified belief. The latter based on facts.

Religion is usually unjustifiable given that it's personal and each person's evidence isn't equivalent to another. It's based on a lot of superstition.
Yes that is good, but sadly it isn't personal, but if only it was, praise the lord.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What is something that you would say is superstitious, and what process did you go through to get to that conclusion?
Anything not based on Revelation in Religion , anything not reasonable/ rational in philosophy and or anything believed to be true without application of the scientific method in science is superstitious. Right? Please
Regards

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Anything not based on Revelation in Religion , anything not reasonable/ rational in philosophy and or anything believed to be true without application of the scientific method in science is superstitious. Right? Please
Regards
But most of religion is based on superstition, like have you ever read the scriptures ??.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There are superstitions in religion, science, just as there are in any other facet of our individual cultures and reality. Saying "good luck on the game" with the belief that by saying this will give him/her good luck is a form of superstition. Crossing one's fingers or "knowing on wood" are forms of superstitions.

The truthful religion is devoid of any superstition rather it is against doing anything on whims.
Similarly science is also devoid of any superstition.
Regards

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The truthful religion is devoid of any superstition rather it is against doing anything on whims.
Regards
Of course science is devoid of superstition, don't bring it down to the religious level.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Regards

Superstition is just a wildly held unjustified* belief.

It is usually connected to religion and mythology. As long as there are humans there are always superstitions. Religion is no exclusion.

On that note (for example), give a non personal example that god blesses you; and, justify it's validity by facts.​

If you can do that, it's no longer a superstition. It's a fact. If you cannot for any reason, it's a superstition (a wildly held unjustified belief).

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with either. I don't see why it's wrong to live off superstition if it doesn't hurt others and I don't see why it's wrong to live in a visible world as long as it doesn't hurt others. No bias. Play fair.

*Justification meaning universal not personal justification

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Superstition is just a wildly held unjustified belief.

It is usually connected to religion and mythology. As long as there are humans there are always superstitions. Religion is no exclusion.

On that note (for example), give a non personal example that god blesses you; and, justify it's validity by facts.​

If you can do that, it's no longer a superstition. It's a fact. If you cannot for any reason, it's a superstition (a wildly held unjustified belief).

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with either. I don't see why it's wrong to live off superstition if it doesn't hurt others and I don't see why it's wrong to live in a visible world as long as it doesn't hurt others. No bias. Play fair.

*Justification meaning universal not personal justification

I agree with what I have colored in magenta.
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I agree with what I have colored in magenta.
Regards

Yes. Many religions are not justified beliefs; so, they are considered superstitious just as any other part of life humans put belief in without needing and/or wanting to know if there are objective facts behind its authenticity.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Regards

Any held belief that cannot be supported by facts is called a superstition.

Superstitions aren't always fictitious nor are they always wrong. Just to prove they are real and right takes some justification; and, because there are none, that is the only reason why it's called a superstition.

It's not a bad word.

For example, I don't schedule anything more than a week in advance if that. Every single time I do 100 percent of the time something happens and I have to reschedule.

I am superstitious in that I believe the time I schedule my appointments affects whether or not my appointments would be canceled. If I don't listen to my "voice of reason" (what some call god and others call gut) something always goes wrong.

So, there is nothing wrong with my superstition even though it isn't based on reality. It is how I experience life and because I cannot support how time has anything to do with whether or not an schedule appointment won't be canceled, it is called a superstitious belief.

I call it a fact. That's me based on my experience. But by definition, it is not a fact because I cannot prove it. It's a belief. It can't be proven one way or another.

So if someone wants to call me superstitious, so be. But at least I don't spend two or three hours on bus and metro going to a two week ahead schedule appointment to realize the doctor I needed to see is sick but later I found I could have scheduled it the next day in my area when he was doing just fine.

It is what it is. People use belief, faith, religion, superstition, spirituality, interchangeably. But unless you can support it by facts, it is what it is.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Much that presents itself as religion is plain superstition.

As a matter of fact, very often it presents itself specifically as revealed religion.

True religion (as I understand it) is not based on revelation at all, but rather on insight and dharma.

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
@paarsurrey are you on face book? Have You seen those post that day 1 like equals 1 prayer? Would you say that's a religious superstition