• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunnism, Deobandi, Sufism, Shia twelver, Shia ismaillies, Ibadism, Quranism

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist

If you had to convert to Islam, which direction within Islam would you have chosen? And why?

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
My knowledge of Islam is quite limited, but from what I have read and understand, Sufism seems be the closest to worldview, as, from my limited understanding, it characterized by asceticism and mysticism.

danieldemol

Premium Member

If you had to convert to Islam, which direction within Islam would you have chosen? And why?
Liberal Islam, because it doesn't hold the Quran to necessarily be the dictated words of God in my view.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Is there a branch of Buddhism within Islam, given this is about the only 'religion' I might be tempted with? :oops:

firedragon

Veteran Member

Deobandi is a Sunni arm. And Sunni's constitute 90% of the Islamic population.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Sufism -- I agree with the basic tenants as I've read them thus far. I enjoy reading the poems of Rumi and don't recall ever having read one I questioned the wisdom of. And, I believe music is a fantastic expression of worship and a wonderful catalyst for reaching the Spark of God we each carry inside us.

To explain how "mixed" I am on a daily basis, I listen to instrumental Irish music as I do Tia Chi, and my favorite movement is the breathing lotus which is an alternate Lotus Qigong representing bellows feeding the spark that exhales love into the world.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

None of the above. All I see when Islam is mentioned is barbarity and cruelty.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I have tried to make sense of Islam but maybe it's just my western mind, I don't know, but I simply cannot.

Twilight Hue

I have tried to make sense of Islam but maybe it's just my western mind, I don't know, but I simply cannot.
The problem is Muslims are the most dedicated and obedient to their holy writings making them the most complient of the Abrahamic religions without question.

The bad tragic part? It's strict adherence to what can only be best described as Old Testament 'virtue' to the bloodiest and goryest letter.

Twilight Hue

The problem is Muslims are the most dedicated and obedient to their holy writings making them the most complient of the Abrahamic religions without question.

The bad tragic part? It's strict adherence to what can only be best described as Old Testament 'virtue' to the bloodiest and goryest letter.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
All of it, probably starting with the names of different disciples of it.
Sometimes names in unfamiliar languages are harder to remember.

I don't think disciples are a thing for them... They've got the Prophet Muhammed; he's the individual that the Qur'an(which is considered the words of God) was revealed to.

Muslims share the some of the same religious figures as Christians, though sometimes their names are written differently(Jesus is Isa).

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Sometimes names in unfamiliar languages are harder to remember.

I don't think disciples are a thing for them... They've got the Prophet Muhammed; he's the individual that the Qur'an(which is considered the words of God) was revealed to.

Muslims share the some of the same religious figures as Christians, though sometimes their names are written differently(Jesus is Isa).
Look up the attempts to explain the different sects or whatever of Islam and tell me it all makes sense. Because frankly, I can't see it.

RestlessSoul

Is there a branch of Buddhism within Islam, given this is about the only 'religion' I might be tempted with? :oops:

There is a school of thought that says Sufis were influenced by Buddhism. Geological proximity to areas where Buddhism was established is thought to be a factor,as well as the emphasis in Sufism on transcendent experiences and raised consciousness, initiated through prayer and meditation (and the Sema , the dance of the Whirling Dervishes).

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Look up the attempts to explain the different sects or whatever of Islam and tell me it all makes sense. Because frankly, I can't see it.
I don't know all the different sects by any means; just a basic grasp of the main teachings.

I was just surprised when you said you had trouble understanding it, because as an outsider, it doesn't seem terribly different from Christianity. (But I am an outsider to both religions, so maybe I'm missing something.)