• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sudan judge sentences Christian woman to death for apostasy

outhouse

Atheistically

A Sudanese judge on Thursday sentenced a Christian woman to hang for apostasy, despite appeals by Western embassies for compassion and respect for religious freedom.
"We gave you three days to recant but you insist on not returning to Islam. I sentence you to be hanged to death," Judge Abbas Mohammed Al-Khalifa told the woman, addressing her by her father's Muslim name, Adraf Al-Hadi Mohammed Abdullah.
Her Christian name is Meriam Yahia Ibrahim Ishag.

Do our muslim memebrs condone this barbaric behaviour?

Turn their back to it?

Fight against it?

CynthiaCypher

I don't think many here would. But look at the bright side...Anne Coulter does support that sort of barbaric behavior:

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war."

Looncall

A Sudanese judge on Thursday sentenced a Christian woman to hang for apostasy, despite appeals by Western embassies for compassion and respect for religious freedom.
"We gave you three days to recant but you insist on not returning to Islam. I sentence you to be hanged to death," Judge Abbas Mohammed Al-Khalifa told the woman, addressing her by her father's Muslim name, Adraf Al-Hadi Mohammed Abdullah.

Turn their back to it?

Fight against it?

Something that puzzles me is that the quran prates endlessly about compassion, but compassion is notably absent in islamic societies. Why? Does Allah claiming to be compassionate let muslims off the hook?

thau

There are some individuals or sects who call themselves Christians on the fringe that are the cause of horrible acts of violence or hatred. But they are very few in number and are roundly castigated and dismissed as "evil" by almost all Christian denominations universally.

On the other hand --- there are so many sects and believers of Islam on the fringe that are the cause of horrible acts of violence, hatred and intolerance one has to stand back in shock. Millions upon millions believe in torturing or destroying unbelievers. I can understand why "moderate" Muslim voices in Middle East or other Islamic nations do not publicly call them out on this because their families may get stoned to death. But why is there so little revolt by Muslims in Western nations?

My more theological question is this: If Islam is the truest representation of the one true God, then how can we have such a large fringe of violent and intolerant ideologies that emanated from an honorable core message? I do not accept Christianity has the same issue, nor am I interested in debating 16th century battles. It is far from the same.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

Turn their back to it?

Fight against it?

Peace be on everyone.
Ahmadiyya Muslims condones such misunderstandings.

Holy Quran, Aal-e-`Imran Chapter 3 : Verse 91
"Surely, those who disbelieve after they have believed and then increase in disbelief, their repentance shall not be accepted, and these are they who have gone astray."

Al-Nisa' Chapter 4 : Verse 138
"Those who believe, then disbelieve, then again believe, then disbelieve, and then increase in disbelief, Allah will never forgive them nor will He guide them to the way."

Al-Ma'idah Chapter 5 : Verse 55
O ye who believe! whoso among you turns back from his religion, then let it be known that in his stead Allah will soon bring a people whom He will love and who will love Him, and who will be kind and humble towards believers, hard and firm against disbelievers. They will strive in the cause of Allah and will not fear the reproach of a faultfinder. That is Allah’s grace; He bestows it upon whomsoever He pleases; and Allah is Bountiful, All- Knowing.

alislam.org/quran

Details by Fourth Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah (ra)
"".........It is difficult to assess whether the concept of coercion in Islam had its birth on Islamic soil or was the child of the orientalists’ imagination and was later on transferred to the lap of Islam. Having examined this in the light of Islamic history, I honestly believe that the idea first took root in the Islamic world itself and that it is wrong of us to blame the orientalists for having initiated it. They picked it up from the Muslims: before the orientalists were even born, the idea seems to have been present in medieval Islamic thought. It originated in the late Umayyad dynasty. Throughout the Abbaside period, the idea continued to flourish and was further strengthened because the Abbaside sovereigns wanted to use force not only against the enemies of Islam but also against their own people. A license for this was not infrequently sought from Muslim scholars under their influence. The concept has therefore arisen from the conduct and policies of the post-Khalifat-i-Rashida1 Muslim governments of Baghdad..............................To conclude, apostasy is the clear repudiation of a faith by a person who formerly held it. Doctrinal differences, however grave, cannot be deemed to be apostasy. The Punishment for Apostasy lies in the hand of God Almighty, against whom the offence has been committed. Apostasy which is not aggravated by some other crime is not punishable in this world. This is the teaching of God. This was the teaching of the Holy Prophetsa. This is the view confirmed by Hanafi jurists,26 Fateh al-Kadeer27 Chalpi,28 Hafiz ibn Qayyim, Ibrahim Nakhai, Sufyan Thauri and many others. The Maududian claim of consensus, concerning the tradition they hold to be true, is a mere fiction.""

Source: Murder in the Name of Allah, Chapter 7, Punishment for Apostasy - By Fourth Ahmadiyya Khalifah (ra) of Promised Messiah, the Mahdi (a.s.)

====================================================================================================

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Something that puzzles me is that the quran prates endlessly about compassion, but compassion is notably absent in islamic societies. Why? Does Allah claiming to be compassionate let muslims off the hook?

Im not the best person to ask, im looking for my own answers here. :confused:

The religion upsets me due to the barbaric activities of its followers who are allowed to pervert their religion with no real governement or control.

While other religions are not perfect and have violent aspects, im not sure we see the amount of barbaric actions. I also understand we have cultural issues due to geographic locations.

What I dont see is ANY, ANY leaders in islam or muslim communities standing up against these primitive and barbaric people.

As far as I am concerned their as guilty as the murderers for turning their backs to it.

outhouse

Atheistically
Peace be on everyone.
Ahmadiyya Muslims condones such misunderstandings.

Holy Quran, Aal-e-`Imran Chapter 3 : Verse 91
"Surely, those who disbelieve after they have believed and then increase in disbelief, their repentance shall not be accepted, and these are they who have gone astray."

Al-Nisa' Chapter 4 : Verse 138
"Those who believe, then disbelieve, then again believe, then disbelieve, and then increase in disbelief, Allah will never forgive them nor will He guide them to the way."

Al-Ma'idah Chapter 5 : Verse 55
O ye who believe! whoso among you turns back from his religion, then let it be known that in his stead Allah will soon bring a people whom He will love and who will love Him, and who will be kind and humble towards believers, hard and firm against disbelievers. They will strive in the cause of Allah and will not fear the reproach of a faultfinder. That is Allah’s grace; He bestows it upon whomsoever He pleases; and Allah is Bountiful, All- Knowing.

alislam.org/quran

Details by Fourth Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah (ra)
"".........It is difficult to assess whether the concept of coercion in Islam had its birth on Islamic soil or was the child of the orientalists’ imagination and was later on transferred to the lap of Islam. Having examined this in the light of Islamic history, I honestly believe that the idea first took root in the Islamic world itself and that it is wrong of us to blame the orientalists for having initiated it. They picked it up from the Muslims: before the orientalists were even born, the idea seems to have been present in medieval Islamic thought. It originated in the late Umayyad dynasty. Throughout the Abbaside period, the idea continued to flourish and was further strengthened because the Abbaside sovereigns wanted to use force not only against the enemies of Islam but also against their own people. A license for this was not infrequently sought from Muslim scholars under their influence. The concept has therefore arisen from the conduct and policies of the post-Khalifat-i-Rashida1 Muslim governments of Baghdad..............................To conclude, apostasy is the clear repudiation of a faith by a person who formerly held it. Doctrinal differences, however grave, cannot be deemed to be apostasy. The Punishment for Apostasy lies in the hand of God Almighty, against whom the offence has been committed. Apostasy which is not aggravated by some other crime is not punishable in this world. This is the teaching of God. This was the teaching of the Holy Prophetsa. This is the view confirmed by Hanafi jurists,26 Fateh al-Kadeer27 Chalpi,28 Hafiz ibn Qayyim, Ibrahim Nakhai, Sufyan Thauri and many others. The Maududian claim of consensus, concerning the tradition they hold to be true, is a mere fiction.""

Source: Murder in the Name of Allah, Chapter 7, Punishment for Apostasy - By Fourth Ahmadiyya Khalifah (ra) of Promised Messiah, the Mahdi (a.s.)

====================================================================================================

Thank you for a positive note.

I guess we can only hope for more tolerance. I do find that a weak excuse to do less or just watch.

Something needs to be done. What :shrug:

svirk

What I dont see is ANY, ANY leaders in islam or muslim communities standing up against these primitive and barbaric people.

As far as I am concerned their as guilty as the murderers for turning their backs to it.

Why don't more Americans stand up against their government using remote controlled robots to assassinate people whenever they feel like, without trial or proof of guilt and even knowing that many innocents are killed? What leader of what country keeps a personal kill list? Why don't Americans stand up against this barbaric behavior? They are all guilty, no?

The fact is that Muslims and Americans do speak out against violence and aggression in their communities. Odd that you have heard nothing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why don't more Americans stand up against their government using remote controlled robots to assassinate people whenever they feel like, without trial or proof of guilt and even knowing that many innocents are killed? What leader of what country keeps a personal kill list? Why don't Americans stand up against this barbaric behavior? They are all guilty, no?

The fact is that Muslims and Americans do speak out against violence and aggression in their communities. Odd that you have heard nothing.
Greetings, new guy!

Many of us do stand up against government mischief, but we are a minority.
Most voters favor one or the other in the Big Two political parties, & if their
guy is in office, then criticism is muted. Notice what happened to war protests
when Obama replaced Bush? It's one reason I vote Libertarian.

GoodbyeDave

It says in the Quran that "people of the book" worship the same God as Muslims and should not be persecuted. It even says that there should be "no compulsion" in religion. The problem is not Islam, but some Muslims and the way they falsify or ignore their own religion. And it's not just non-Muslims on the receiving end: most people killed by "Islamic" terrorists are themselves Muslims. It really needs a fightback by true Muslims, but that puts their lives at risk.

thau

It says in the Quran that "people of the book" worship the same God as Muslims and should not be persecuted. It even says that there should be "no compulsion" in religion. The problem is not Islam, but some Muslims and the way they falsify or ignore their own religion. And it's not just non-Muslims on the receiving end: most people killed by "Islamic" terrorists are themselves Muslims. It really needs a fightback by true Muslims, but that puts their lives at risk.

Fine, so we agree the problem is not Islam but “some Muslims” who falsify their own religion. So that still leaves the world under attack from how many extremist sects or ideologies?... how many intolerant and violent fanatical movements?.... And how many hundreds of thousands?... maybe more?... who belong to this “fringe element?”

Regardless if it’s a small minority of the billion plus Muslims in this world, this umbrella of extremist or terrorist activists remains something the world must face up to and fight one way or another. 20,000+ attacks globally by these elements since 09/11/01 where someone was killed, or in some instances “just” horribly maimed. We will not blame the majority, no doubt many lament and suffer, but the fact remains we have a horrible problem for which the world is powerless to overcome it.

At a minimum, I think it would be bold and appreciated if these Islamic nations would not allow these schools to thrive in their nations ---- the schools where Imams are planting the most horrible and intolerant messages in young impressionable minds. I am sure a thorough research of the inner workings of some of these Islamic nations would yield shock.

Last edited:

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
The religion upsets me due to the barbaric activities of its followers who are allowed to pervert their religion with no real governement or control.

The problem is that the people that condone these activities ARE generally the leaders of the government and the religion within the countries, and a lot of the time, they are one and the same. You add in that the same circles have been in control for long periods of time, as well as the general socioeconomic status (the most important factor in my opinion) of the countries where these atrocities occur and you have a recipe for disaster.

While other religions are not perfect and have violent aspects, im not sure we see the amount of barbaric actions. I also understand we have cultural issues due to geographic locations.

Exactly. How many examples of stuff like this do you see happening in Turkey? UAE? What's the common difference between these two countries and Sudan? It's definitely not the prominent religion.

Muslim leader's in free countries speak out about this type of stuff all the time. There's been 2 links in this post alone speaking about it.

I say more so, because they are generally the ones promoting these actions in order to maintain control of their power structures.

Great post.

Fine, so we agree the problem is not Islam but “some Muslims” who falsify their own religion. So that still leaves the world under attack from how many extremist sects or ideologies?... how many intolerant and violent fanatical movements?.... And how many hundreds of thousands?... maybe more?... who belong to this “fringe element?”

Low socioeconomic status is a breeding ground for hatred and violence regardless of religious status. Leaders, both religious and political, in high poverty areas use promote these ideals to ensure that they retain power. If they were to promote democracy, freedom, and nonviolence they would likely loose their power and position. Promoting fear and violence is how they maintain power.

Regardless if it’s a small minority of the billion plus Muslims in this world, this umbrella of extremist or terrorist activists remains something the world must face up to and fight one way or another. 20,000+ attacks globally by these elements since 09/11/01 where someone was killed, or in some instances “just” horribly maimed. We will not blame the majority, no doubt many lament and suffer, but the fact remains we have a horrible problem for which the world is powerless to overcome it.

We are not powerless to overcome it, we are just fighting it the wrong way. We are not going to win a war of violence with people who, generally, have nothing to lose. Who do you think is more likely to become a suicide bomber: A person with a high standard of living and lots to loose, or a person that can barely provide for his family and has nothing to lose? In my opinion, Sufism is the means to fight this epidemic of violence within many Muslim cultures. Statements and actions coming from outside of the religion itself are going to be far less powerful than those that come from within the religion. There was a great article in TIME magazine a few years back that spoke of this.

In order to win a war like this, we must empower the people and provide the lower classes of these countries with a higher standard of living. These terrorist groups are able to recruit all of these members because they provide basic fundamentals of life for these people, but they are simultaneously the cause of there suffering. It's a vicious cycle.

At a minimum, I think it would be bold and appreciated if these Islamic nations would not allow these schools to thrive in their nations ---- the schools where Imams are planting the most horrible and intolerant messages in young impressionable minds. I am sure a thorough research of the inner workings of some of these Islamic nations would yield shock.
[/QUOTE]

What about Turkey? They do not allow atrocities like this to be committed, and generally condemn actions like these perpetrated in the name of Islam. The problem is, that the leaders of many of these Islamic nations, are the ones that are supporting these actions. Not because they are Muslims, but because they are power-hungry people. Virtue is not exclusive to those that hold positions of power, in fact I would say it is generally the opposite. As evidenced by political and corporate leaders in our own country. As I recall, HSBC just recently received a slap on the wrist for funding and supporting these same terrorist groups that you speak of, along with drug cartels and such.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Why don't more Americans stand up against their government using remote controlled robots to assassinate people whenever they feel like, without trial or proof of guilt and even knowing that many innocents are killed?.

Sorry you do not understand what is actually going on here.

We are at war against terrorism, islamic terrorism to be exact.

The kind that flies jets into buildings murdering thousands.

kashmir

meanwhile, while we ponder over this, millions of kids are forced into the sex slave business, and slavery is the norm, and kids are starving all over the world, rape is the norm, by the same barbaric people and laws.

Seems we are not allowed to say:
"hey, the holy books need to be rewritten and all this stuff excluded, once and for all"
Because that is war business, only a prophet can say those things

Last edited: