• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupid Question

huajiro

I have just learned from this forum about what Satanism really represents....it makes me wonder....I listen to a lot of "Satanic" groups that sing about Hell and the Devil (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Deicide, Emperor, etc) I never really took them seriously until now.

Are there any groups that are truly Satanic, or is it just a facade?

Dr. Nosophoros

I would say that most play on the beliefs and prejudices of the general public to turn a buck. I think the real question is, who gave them those ideas in the first place?

We generally don't have to look too far from the perverted thoughts of the two monks Heinrich Krammer and James Sprenger. I would like to say that I would not confess to their lies they put forth, but if I knew I was probably (most likely going to die) anyway, and I had a red hot poker shoved up my A$$, I'll admit I might confess to just about anything- unfortunately those confessions through pain might then feed the greater, which would then affect the whole, and that is what we get.

And I do not pretend, nor should any satanist, pretend to believe they represent what satanism really is, My opinion anyway.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
huajiro said:
I have just learned from this forum about what Satanism really represents....it makes me wonder....I listen to a lot of "Satanic" groups that sing about Hell and the Devil (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Deicide, Emperor, etc) I never really took them seriously until now.

I'm with you on this one huajiro; I was as amazed as you obviously were.:)

huajiro

Dr. Nosophoros said:
I would say that most play on the beliefs and prejudices of the general public to turn a buck. I think the real question is, who gave them those ideas in the first place?

We generally don't have to look too far from the perverted thoughts of the two monks Heinrich Krammer and James Sprenger. I would like to say that I would not confess to their lies they put forth, but if I knew I was probably (most likely going to die) anyway, and I had a red hot poker shoved up my A$$, I'll admit I might confess to just about anything- unfortunately those confessions through pain might then feed the greater, which would then affect the whole, and that is what we get.

And I do not pretend, nor should any satanist, pretend to believe they represent what satanism really is, My opinion anyway.
It just seems that Satanism is not as bad as people think, and these groups tend to stress the bad.

robtex

Veteran Member
Huajiro if you get a chance by the satanic bible it has some real insites. This is the webpage for the church of satan that was founded by Lavey.
http://www.churchofsatan.com

a quick answer to your question is that they are atheists for the most part. The believe religion to be a sham and their singing and praising Satan is sorta of a mockery of religion which they feel should be taxed by the goverment.

here is another good link
http://www.satanism101.com

I think a better word that might describe the church would be the pursuit of hedonism.

I wouldn't be suprised though that there are smaller groups that worship Satan and think there is really a red guy with hooves and horns ruling in an underworld.

Dr. Nosophoros

It just seems that Satanism is not as bad as people think, and these groups tend to stress the bad.
I think the stigmatizing word "satanism" in this culture is actually productive for satanism (until we start having villagers burn us out!) but overall I think the word "satanism" and the generally accepted connotations outright eliminate those who refuse to see beyond the words and generally accepted beliefs, those that cannot see beyond the words and symbolism are not worth talking to in the first place in general, from what I have seen.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Satan sells albums... ;)

Some artists are 'real Satanists' but usually it is just part of the act.
I'm quite fond of my copy of the Satanic bible, it has a lot of good points in its philosophy.:jam:
LeVey was a very astute and clever man.

wa:do

The only band that I know of who, though use Satanism as part of an act, are (as an article describes) "card-carrying modern Satanists," is Akercocke.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
huajiro said:

What do you mean by "truly Satanic"?

There are some Christians who believe that anything that leads away from Christ is Satanic. In that sense, as Dan Brown explained in
the DaVinci Code (or was it Angels and Demons?), the pursuit of science was seen as Satanic. By that definition, most things are Satanic, and our capitalist society truly is "the Great Satan." :p

Then there's Satanic meaning following Satan's lead in choosing to worship/serve oneself. That's the definition that I use. In high school, when I first (angrily) rejected Christianity, the first place I looked was the Temple of Set (in San Francisco). Yes, such Satanists do exist in organized groups.

And then there's the idea of actually worshipping the Christian Devil/Satan. I've never met anyone except teenage stoner boys who claimed to do that, and I didn't believe them. But I suppose, anything is possible.

linwood

huajiro said:
I feel as though you are patronizing me....do you think that I am not serious about wanting information?
Don`t take it to heart huajiro.

I believe Dr. Nosophoros is a Satanist (Please correct me if I`m wrong) and it seems to me that sarcasm is a founding canon of the faith.

He/she can`t help it.

:)

SoulTYPE01 said:
The correct religion would be Luciferism, huajiro, should you wish to actually worship Satan.
Only if the person worships the Christian version of Satan. Otherwise it is not Luciferianism, it is traditional Satanism.

huajiro

lilithu said:
What do you mean by "truly Satanic"?

There are some Christians who believe that anything that leads away from Christ is Satanic. In that sense, as Dan Brown explained in
the DaVinci Code (or was it Angels and Demons?), the pursuit of science was seen as Satanic. By that definition, most things are Satanic, and our capitalist society truly is "the Great Satan." :p

Then there's Satanic meaning following Satan's lead in choosing to worship/serve oneself. That's the definition that I use. In high school, when I first (angrily) rejected Christianity, the first place I looked was the Temple of Set (in San Francisco). Yes, such Satanists do exist in organized groups.

And then there's the idea of actually worshipping the Christian Devil/Satan. I've never met anyone except teenage stoner boys who claimed to do that, and I didn't believe them. But I suppose, anything is possible.
I have just recently discovered that Satanism is not what I thought.....the groups that I listen to seem to be using the image that Satan invokes. I don't have a full understanding of Satanism....but it seems to be less macabre than I was lead to believe.

Reactions: Pah

huajiro

linwood said:
Don`t take it to heart huajiro.

I believe Dr. Nosophoros is a Satanist (Please correct me if I`m wrong) and it seems to me that sarcasm is a founding canon of the faith.

He/she can`t help it.

:)
I don't care what religion someone practices....if someone is willing to learn about it....they shouldn't be rude about it.

DianeVera

SoulTYPE01 said:
The correct religion would be Luciferism, huajiro, should you wish to actually worship Satan.
No, the correct term for that is "theistic Satanism." Luciferians typcially see Lucifer and Satan as distinct entities.