• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupefying notions about the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting

Skwim

Veteran Member
From PZ Myer's blog of Dec. 18, 2012
James Dobson: We elected the wrong presidetn and allow abortion, so: “I am going to give you my honest opinion: I think we have turned our back on the Scripture and on God Almighty and I think he has allowed judgment to fall upon us.”

William J. Murray: “Without the authority of God, there are no morals, and none are taught in the public schools today. The ethics that are taught are situational, perhaps the same situational ethics that led to the logic that caused the tragic shootings in Newtown.”

Gary DeMar: “The problem is, our current culture – through the educational system – is telling young people that they are animals, in some cases, less than animals. So genetically we are no different (really) from a worm, a bug, or a dandelion.”

Mike Huckabee: “We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage?”

Bryan Fischer: “I think God would say to us, ‘Hey, I’d be glad to protect your children, but you’ve got to invite me back into your world first. I’m not gonna go where I’m not wanted; I am a gentleman.’”

On the less ardently god-walloping side of the right wing, though, they’re offering secular solutions. Mad, dangerous, unworkable solutions.

Louie Gohmert: “I wish to God she [the principal] had had an m-4 in her office, locked up so when she heard gunfire, she pulls it out … and takes him out and takes his head off before he can kill those precious kids”

Ann Coulter: Only one policy has ever been shown to deter mass murder: concealed-carry laws.”

Megan McArdle: “I’d also like us to encourage people to gang rush shooters, rather than following their instincts to hide; if we drilled it into young people that the correct thing to do is for everyone to instantly run at the guy with the gun, these sorts of mass shootings would be less deadly, because even a guy with a very powerful weapon can be brought down by 8-12 unarmed bodies piling on him at once. “
Myers continues his blog with the following poem he came across. Might want to have a vomit bag handy.
twas’ 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven’s gate.
their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
they were filled with such joy, they didn’t know what to say.
they remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
“where are we?” asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
“this is heaven.” declared a small boy. “we’re spending Christmas at God’s house.”
when what to their wondering eyes did appear,
but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
and in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring
those children all flew into the arms of their King
and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
one small girl turned and looked at Jesus’ face.
and as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, “I’ll take care of mom and dad.”
then He looked down on earth, the world far below
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe
then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
“Let My power and presence re-enter this land!”
“may this country be delivered from the hands of fools”
“I’m taking back my nation. I’m taking back my schools!”
then He and the children stood up without a sound.
“come now my children, let me show you around.”
excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
and i heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
“in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT.”

Note: I've quoted extensively from Myers because he encourages people to share his blog.

Update. The poem is said to have been recited on the Dr. Phil show, and written by Cameo Smith, Mt. Wolf, PA
"Fair Use For Educational or Discussion Purposes"
source

On various websites this ludicrous image accompanies the poem
481589_10151190769100698_762899335_n.jpg

Last edited:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I am trying not to facepalm because if I do I might hit myself so hard I knock myself out...

People like to sensationalise these kinds of situations instead of asking questions and actually contemplating on why a shooter would do something like that.

Satyamavejayanti

Jesus did not stop the shooting just so the Christians can say that, "Jesus would have saved the Kids but you (secular education) didn't let him".

How Pathetic.

RJ50

Sadly there are many religious sickos out there who talk out of their rear ends!:eek:

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
People go to great lengths defending the non action of their (all loving all powerful) God.

If 'God' does not defend the innocent for his own reasons
people should not (attempt to) defend (this) 'God' for their own reasons.

It's much easier to blame other people for God's inaction
than it is to re'examine the reasons for your own inexplicable trust in (and reliance on) such a vitally absent character.

Last edited:

RJ50

When my husband, who is an atheist, was desperately ill after a brain haemorrhage in 2006, and was expected to die, a 'born again' friend of ours was also desperately ill. Many prayers were said on their behalf by well meaning people. My husband lived, albeit with substantial brain damage, our friend died. Now as tragic as my husband's death would have been, at least our children were adults and the impact wouldn't have been as severe as on the family of our friend. His children were still young enough to need parental support, and the reduction in the family's income has caused alot of hardship! The deity certainly doesn't look after its own!

Oh and before anyone states that my husband was spared so he could find God, my husband claims he had some sort of experience, whilst in the coma, which convinced him, if he needed any convincing, that there is no deity or afterlife!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I don't have a problem with people believing in god, or in prayer, or anything like that. My beef is not with belief. My beef is with scapegoating others just because they hold differing beliefs.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I hate that poem so much. It's just a visceral reaction. I read the first two lines on facebook and couldn't even go on.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When my husband, who is an atheist, was desperately ill after a brain haemorrhage in 2006, and was expected to die, a 'born again' friend of ours was also desperately ill. Many prayers were said on their behalf by well meaning people. My husband lived, albeit with substantial brain damage, our friend died. Now as tragic as my husband's death would have been, at least our children were adults and the impact wouldn't have been as severe as on the family of our friend. His children were still young enough to need parental support, and the reduction in the family's income has caused alot of hardship! The deity certainly doesn't look after its own!

Oh and before anyone states that my husband was spared so he could find God, my husband claims he had some sort of experience, whilst in the coma, which convinced him, if he needed any convincing, that there is no deity or afterlife!
Brains are certainly dangerous organs. I was worried about Wirey last year cuz his turned on him & dang near kilt'm...going all
"Benedict Arnold" as he described it. I'm considering having mine amputated, but I'm worried that my post quality might suffer.

truseeker

Some of our atheist friends are upset because one of the children cried "God help us" and they do not want that kind of language in school

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Some of our atheist friends are upset because one of the children cried "God help us" and they do not want that kind of language in school

Rancid. The last moments of these beautiful children's lives- and the desperate fear and horror which all of those helpless and terrified children endured - are not fodder for your flippant anecdotal grandstanding.
On their behalf, and on behalf of their grieving families left behind, and on behalf of all of the children who survived that terrifying and horrific ordeal I am literally sickened.

You- need to shut your mouth. now.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
What sickens me is the way some people, like yourself, would use this tragedy as a launching pad for their own agendas.