• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange sounds.

holy_frank

What bothers me is hearing whimpering and especially seeing flashes of light... two key signs IMHO of a mental illness.

I do not suffer from a mental illness. I do not hear what I have explained all the time but I do hear these things sometimes. It feels like there is a presence in my house from time to time, it feels like I am being watched to be quite honest.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I do not suffer from a mental illness. I do not hear what I have explained all the time but I do hear these things sometimes. It feels like there is a presence in my house from time to time, it feels like I am being watched to be quite honest.
Have you tried talking to it? or understanding it?

Or watching the movie "Paramornal Activity"?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
You could always try recording devices. If you do, let us know! I'd be interested in what you find.

Have other people experienced these in your house?

holy_frank

You could always try recording devices. If you do, let us know! I'd be interested in what you find.

Have other people experienced these in your house?

I will try useing a recording device tomorrow as I am leaving shortly to visit relatives. I will let you all know if I find something.

Renji

Well, I tried exorcising a ghost in my classmate's house basement when I was in grade 6. when I started, there is a scratching noise coming from their roof. When I paused, it stopped. Then, I continued and we heard a laughing voice and someone is calling us outside the basement. The creepy thing is that there is no one outside and that it is impossible that the scratching sound is from a cat because my classmate does not have any cats around their house.

Baydwin

Do you have overhead electrical cables near your house? Or any other kind of large broadcasting equipment such as a mobile phone tower, radar, electric company substation etc within a few hundred feet of your house?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend holy_frank,

Having read most of the posts and finding so many shades and colours in them.
However, to get to the bottom, you have to transcend your own THOUGHTS!.
Finally the barrier is our mind [thoughts] which allows /entertains them.
Transcending is possible by facing it. Whatever it is one should just face it even if death as we know that death is just a transformation of energy from one form to another. There is no death in reality.
So, whatever it maybe , be prepared to face it, even if death. Am sure this Fear will slowly disappear.
Love & rgds

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Its really easy to matrix sound from the environment, or if there happens to be a practice of meditation or similar technique involved as many can attest, you can perceive various smells, audio, and visual manifestations as originating from the mind. I at numerous times can "hear" my name being called out (sometimes loudly enough to make me turn my head) when nobody is around or perceive intelligible talking and/or singing. Sometimes there is music! LOL.

I agree in regards that a high magnetic field and possibly certain geological deposits can induce a peculiar feeling in some people. Once you are aware it's easy to dismiss the feelings.

Occasionally I and my better half do come across actual audible knocking and crashing sounds, and once we heard a rather loud crash originating from the corner of the same room we were in, but were unable to locate the cause or see any object out of place inside or outside. We dismissed it simply as the environmental sounds generated by the house, the neighborhood and the local wildlife that's around. Sounds do have a funny way of traveling at times making you think its there when the actual cause is elsewhere.

In short I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the freakness of it all.

Mental illness as others have pointed out is a possibility as well, and a quick check-up by a doctor can dismiss any physical or mental reasons should it create too much of a concern and is causing undue discomfort.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Today my wife was at work and my kids were at school when I was hearing strange sounds coming from the basement in my house. The lights flickered on and off and I have only just changed the lights recently. This happened hours ago now.

Last night I heard a slight amount of wimpering come from the basement and no one was even there. Me or my family don't sleep in the basement.

Only about two years ago I was doing some washing in the basement laundry and I saw a quick flash of what seemed to be a white figure but as I took a second look it was gone, it was late in the afternoon when this happened from what I can remember.

Our dog Andy sometimes barks for no reason and it just glares at a tree or at a wall when there is clearly nothing there.

Has anyone encountered anything similar to what I have explained? What could it mean? I am sure it is nothing but it is creeping me out a bit to be honest. I am probably just being paranoid.

We are programmed to look for patterns in our environment, even when none are actually there. On top of this, our environment conditions us to notice and apply connections regarding specific occurrences. For example, you mention lights flickering, a whimpering sound in the basement, and the dog barking. These are common occurrences used in horror films to evoke a sense of tension and foreboding. It's no coincidence that people apply meanings to things they are specifically accustomed to seeing presented in a certain way.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Sounds that you can not idenify origin are weird and scary.Whining and howling if its going on for a while I woudl be realy be concerned an animal is in the basement and have someone come figure that out.

Lights "flickering" I would be worried a potential fire.Sounds like bad wiring.

Love

Dallas

Rio Sabinas

Old Geezer
I aggree with Nowhere Man about being unable to identify the source
and direction of sounds at times.
As far as the dog barking at something you can't see? No mystery there.
Having been around Dogs all my life, they do what is commonly called
"Booger Barking". When there is something actually there, the bark will be
different in pitch and intensity. When that happens, you'll know the difference
right away. You'll be able to tell from the sound, your dog has found some type
of varmit be it Human or otherwise.

Rev. White

Reverend Jedi Master
What is the history of the house? Is it very old? Is there there a possibility of death or traumatic events having occurred there?

Maille

your mind is like a tape recorder so when you go to sleep or your mind wonders some either conously or unconcously then you may hear a sound and think its real when its not. I know somtimes when i go to sleep i hear my coputer but my computer is downstairs and i'm upstairs. It ends up being all inside my head.