• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of mind at bedtime and when waking up...

Just_me_Mike

Is this the same for most individuals? At bedtime, often the mind is racing even though the body is mostly ready to rest. Almost like the mind is on overload or running on its own. Eventually it settles down and before you know it you are a sleep.

When you awake, it can seem like starting a lawn mower, where you have to pull the string a couple times in order to get the engine going.

I wonder if it is difficult for everyone generally to switch from an unconscious state of mind to a conscious one in the morning.

What can be learned from this, in terms of individuals that prefer to stay a sleep compared to those always ready to jump out of bed. Does it reflect the life they are living, and how enthusiastic or not enthusiastic they are about it?

.lava

Veteran Member
conscious and unconscious...lol funny you should ask. i feel like a third point inbetween, just stunned by witnessing both

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I find the opposite Mike, at bedtime I'm usually panned. Lights out and gone.
In the morning on the other hand, normally at about quarter to six - DING!!! ready for the day.
I love getting up and out.
For a time, when I wasn't well, I couldn't get out of bed. In my mind Being fresh in the morning and panned in the evening are associated with being in good health and making the most of a day.

MissAlice

Yes I have opposite effects when it comes time to rest and wake.

I avoid naps even though I crave them in the day. Then I sit and think to myself, just wait till it comes time to bed. Doesn't happen automatically, I usually feel more awake in the evening, like a of caffeine that just hit. When it comes time to lay down, my mind goes into autopilot. I find myself alert and either reading a book, painting or logging into this stinking forum. :D

I sometimes wonder if there is something going on with the subconscious. Like a war going on and perhaps apprehension to face the realities when day hits. Once relaxed and without worries, I fuel up.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I find the opposite Mike, at bedtime I'm usually panned. Lights out and gone.
In the morning on the other hand, normally at about quarter to six - DING!!! ready for the day.
I love getting up and out.
For a time, when I wasn't well, I couldn't get out of bed. In my mind Being fresh in the morning and panned in the evening are associated with being in good health and making the most of a day.

That's me too. My husband jokes that once I decide it's time to relax, I'm out within two minutes. LOL

I never hit the snooze button on my alarm anymore. In fact, I usually wake up 15 minutes or so before the alarm goes off.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I tend to stay awake until I am exhausted and then collapse into bed. If I wake up on my own I am always wide awake instantly but with my alarm normally takes 5 or so minutes to wake up properly.

Just_me_Mike

I wonder how much our individual worldviews effect this aspect in our lives, I would guess it has a lot to do with it.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Isn't this just the difference between "morning" people and "night" people?

I would say it definitely affects one's worldview, as being a morning person is what you're "supposed" to be, and being up early everyday is somehow seen as a virtue by many people. Conversely, if you sleep late due to having a natural cycle of having more energy at night, and less in the morning, you are seen as lazy by many people.

Personally, I've gone through stages of being both a morning person and night person, but, most of my life, my general nature tends towards being a night person.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Well, obviously, I am the only alcoholic drug addict in the group. Usually, I pass out in the evenings and race to the bathroom for a shot of crank in the mornings.

Okay, I'm just kidding. That's not really true . . . I never actually "race" to the bathroom in the mornings; it is usually more like a dizzy crawl.

Smokeless Indica

<3 Damian Edward Nixon <3
I have a problem getting to sleep at night and waking up in the morning. At night my mind races and I tend to think about everything that I did during the day and everything that needs to be done the next day. (I noticed keeping a journal helps with this. If only I actually used it more.) In the morning I don't want to get up at all, I just want to stay in bed. Usually I have to force myself to get up, but once I get up I get the energy I need for the day. Taking a shower usually helps me wake up. Sometimes I'll drink a cup of coffee but that's rarely.

Isn't it funny how when you realize you slept too long that all of a sudden your wide awake and full of energy?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I used to have that problem until I started meditating at about 16 years old. At first meditating messed up my sleeping even more, but then I got to where I could fall asleep and wake up like a light switch. Meditation can help sleeping habits.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Isn't this just the difference between "morning" people and "night" people?

I would say it definitely affects one's worldview, as being a morning person is what you're "supposed" to be, and being up early everyday is somehow seen as a virtue by many people. Conversely, if you sleep late due to having a natural cycle of having more energy at night, and less in the morning, you are seen as lazy by many people.

Personally, I've gone through stages of being both a morning person and night person, but, most of my life, my general nature tends towards being a night person.

Two of our kids are night people, and the other two are morning people.

I go through phases myself. Right now, I'm more of a morning person....which doesn't exactly help my career since rehearsals and gigs happen mostly in the evenings. :D

dust1n

Zindīq
Is this the same for most individuals? At bedtime, often the mind is racing even though the body is mostly ready to rest. Almost like the mind is on overload or running on its own. Eventually it settles down and before you know it you are a sleep.

Well, I imagine everyone has a signature when it comes to falling asleep. The situation you describe is certainly something I have experienced before, but some nights I often fall straight asleep.

When you awake, it can seem like starting a lawn mower, where you have to pull the string a couple times in order to get the engine going.
That is certainly the case for me... sometimes it takes a good three hours before the engine starts to work (breakfast does wonders, by the way.)

I wonder if it is difficult for everyone generally to switch from an unconscious state of mind to a conscious one in the morning.

What can be learned from this, in terms of individuals that prefer to stay a sleep compared to those always ready to jump out of bed.

If you found out someone was a morning or evening person or neither.. what conclusions can be drawn from that?

Does it reflect the life they are living, and how enthusiastic or not enthusiastic they are about it?
I don't know what you mean by 'reflect'.. but I can't help but say 'yes' because someone's sleeping patterns is part of the life they are living, and being enthusiastic and sleeping is still being enthusiastic about life.

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
Once I decide it's time to go to sleep, I'm usually asleep within a minute or two. The difficulty is in deciding it's time to go to sleep.

Daniel09

Akera-Heru
Sleeping varies greatly for me. When I choose to get to sleep, I can usually find a train of thought that will expand into a dream that forces my body into sleep and then evolves into full blown dreams over the night, and then waking up is either a product of resolving the plot in my dream, or being shaken awake by an alarm. When I wake from a dream naturally, I find that the engines are on a low hum already, and all I need to do is just stare into space for about 5 minutes or so before I feel good to begin moving and doing things. With the alarm, sometimes my brain is still in shut-down mode and will refuse to even acknowledge memories, so it is a lot harder to get started except in special circumstances. These circumstances are when I have mentally prepared the night before to wake up and do something specific. When I wake up on those days my mind is already geared and ready to do exactly what I decided to do.

Sometimes I do find it hard to sleep when my mind will not stop playing music or switching topics. It can take hours to calm down enough to sleep in those situations.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I used to be a big time "sleepy head" ..Had trouble waking up..I felt drugged..

I was so angry that I even had to wake up when all I wanted was more sleep I wanted to die or kill someone..

Now ././I "jerk awake"..Like its a seizure..I crave sleepiness...

Should be a "happy medium"..

But no such luck..

Love

Dallas

Comicaze247

See the previous line
It's always different. Nobody falls asleep feeling the same way every single time. Barring recurring dreams, nobody wake up feeling the same way every single time. Just like all of our feelings throughout our waking hours, our feelings when waking up and when going to bed fluctuate.

Some nights I'm restless and can't get my brain to shut up for the life of me. Some nights my mind drifts and I don't even realize I fell asleep. Some nights I knock out as soon as my head hits the pillow.

Some mornings (or afternoons :p) I wake up feeling groggy. Sometimes I wake up feeling energized. Sometimes I wake up feeling panicked ('cause I'm late or dreamed that I was late for something). Sometimes I wake up 'cause my body acted out something I did in my dream (I've kicked myself off the bed before :lol:).

It's always changing. If it doesn't change, you should get checked out, as dreams are also a way of your subconscious telling you that there's something you need to deal with.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What can be learned from this, in terms of individuals that prefer to stay a sleep compared to those always ready to jump out of bed. Does it reflect the life they are living, and how enthusiastic or not enthusiastic they are about it?

Interesting. :)