1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'TV Talk' started by Stevicus, May 20, 2019.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,226
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I resisted for a while, since it was only available on CBS All Access and not on Netflix (which had all the Trek series), but I finally broke down and decided to subscribe.

I'm up to episode 6. Is anyone else watching this show?

I can't say I was too happy with what J.J. Abrams did to Star Trek. So, I thought Discovery might be a new direction.

I think what bugs me about it is that the Star Trek universe has so much potential - a vast array of planets, species, and a timeline encompassing centuries. A wealth of material which can lead to movies, new series, tons of fanfic. But in this series, we have Sarek and Spock - old characters which are much beloved by Trekkers - and yet, the writers of Discovery had to include them for some strange reason. (And Harry Mudd was a lovable rogue in TOS, but here, he's a despicable slimeball.)

Just like with Abrams, they seem like they want to relive some sort of imagined past glory and mystique surrounding The Original Series (TOS), rather than come up with something more original from a fictional universe.

In fact, you could probably program an entire network of shows all based in the Star Trek universe and appeal to every genre and taste out there. Comedy, drama, police shows, detective shows, medical shows. There could even be a sitcom about Federation prisoners held at Rura Penthe, where the Klingon Kommandant wears a monocle and says "No one ever escapes from Rura Penthe!"

And speaking of Klingons, whoever it was that came up with the "new look" for the Klingons - they should be forced to eat an entire cauldron of gagh - without any blood wine to wash it down.

Oh well. I guess I'll see what happens next.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Watchmen

Watchmen Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +612
    Keep watching. I’ve finished both seasons and consider it some of the best Trek on TV. Season 2 is better than Season 1. I just rewatched a couple episodes of Voyager. Very painful to watch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Epic Beard Man

Epic Beard Man Bearded Philosopher

Ratings:
    +2,959
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Monotheist
    I'm a DS9 type of guy but I'll take a look. How do I see past episodes?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,238
    Stick with it, it gets better.

And the Klingon look is the coolest thing. Original series Klingons were humans with goatees.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Stevicus

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,226
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    It's on CBS All Access, and they have two seasons available for streaming. It's $5.99 a month with commercials - $9.99 a month without commercials. That's less than I was paying for Netflix.

DS9 is probably the best Trek out there, although TOS is still my sentimental favorite. TNG was good, and even Voyager had a few good episodes.

I suppose it may have seemed like I was trashing Discovery too much, but there are some good aspects to it. I plan to keep watching it. I'm done with Game of Thrones now.

6. Epic Beard Man

Epic Beard Man Bearded Philosopher

Ratings:
    +2,959
    Religion:
    Agnostic-Monotheist
    It sucks that there are none with Worf as a Commander or Captain.

7. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Quadrepedal Schlumphing
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,302
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian almost quaker
    What was it you didn't like about Abram's ST ? Was it the reset timeline? I haven't seen Discovery, yet; but I will eventually. Andromeda was pretty good. Fox has also got some kind of a space crew show out.

8. Stevicus

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,226
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I could have dealt with the reset timeline. My main complaint was that they went through all kinds of writing gymnastics and improbable scenarios just so they could come up with the finished product of having the original TOS crew remade. As I said, they seemed more interested in reliving some sort of imagined past glory and mystique that surrounded The Original Series.

It just came off as so forced and contrived - just so they could end up with the original TOS characters - just because "that's how it's supposed to be." It came off almost like an unfunny parody of TOS, as if Abrams (who was never a fan of Trek) was just trying to make fun of Star Trek and its fanbase (and laughing all the way to the bank).

• Informative Informative x 1