• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

spirituality, sexuality, & gender

Kapalika

Premium Member
Has anyone else had spiritual experiences that informed you on your sexuality or gender identity? Or even rather, discovering something about your sexuality or gender identity/expression ect that has made you reevaluate your religion or spiritual values or views?

Almost a decade ago, I realized that I wasn't cisgender. This was able to come about because as a practicing Satanist, my path on magic had lead me to reflect on myself and own innate nature, as Satanism as a whole generally promotes some sense of elevating nature, particularly that considered carnal. At first it was that without a thought, I just knew I wasn't a guy but I didn't necessarily consider myself anything specific at first. Over the next 2 or 3 years I slowly came to terms with the fact that I'm a woman.

When I was coming to terms with that, I adopted Kashmir Shaivism into my religion, and I realized the importance of the Trika of goddesses and generally the role of Shakti, and the relation between Shiva, Shakti and Anu. They say that the path to realizing the Self as Shiva is through Shakti, and in a weird way, my transition has brought me closer to Shiva. Embracing feminine energy in my transition has helped me on my own spiritual journey and vice versa.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

PruePhillip

Has anyone else had spiritual experiences that informed you on your sexuality or gender identity? Or even rather, discovering something about your sexuality or gender identity/expression ect that has made you reevaluate your religion or spiritual values or views?

Almost a decade ago, I realized that I wasn't cisgender. This was able to come about because as a practicing Satanist, my path on magic had lead me to reflect on myself and own innate nature, as Satanism as a whole generally promotes some sense of elevating nature, particularly that considered carnal. At first it was that without a thought, I just knew I wasn't a guy but I didn't necessarily consider myself anything specific at first. Over the next 2 or 3 years I slowly came to terms with the fact that I'm a woman.

When I was coming to terms with that, I adopted Kashmir Shaivism into my religion, and I realized the importance of the Trika of goddesses and generally the role of Shakti, and the relation between Shiva, Shakti and Anu. They say that the path to realizing the Self as Shiva is through Shakti, and in a weird way, my transition has brought me closer to Shiva. Embracing feminine energy in my transition has helped me on my own spiritual journey and vice versa.

I wasn't aware that sex had anything to do with your relationship with God.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Yes. I discovered, in my teens, that I was a standard heterosexual man and that I really could not make myself think that it was sinful to engage in sexual activity.

This coincided with Pope Paul VI's ill-fated attempt to put the contraception toothpaste back in the tube, with his encyclical Humanae Vitae, which struck me as perverse and ridiculous. I stopped going to confession and started to to view the doctrines of the church far more critically. Since that time I have been a semi-detached member of the church.

From what I read, my experience is fairly typical of Catholics from that era.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Sex has always been part of spirituality. During sex, you lose yourself in another person and succumb to heights of emotion and pleasure like in no other act. Not only has sex been either a part of spirituality, but spiritual metaphors of union with God are often made with sex in mind.

"Dark Night of the Soul," by Saint John of the Cross:

Once in the dark of night,
Inflamed with love and yearning, I arose
(O coming of delight!)
And went, as no one knows,
When all my house lay long in deep repose

All in the dark went right,
Down secret steps, disguised in other clothes,
(O coming of delight!)
In dark when no one knows,
When all my house lay long in deep repose.

And in the luck of night
In secret places where no other spied
I went without my sight
Without a light to guide
Except the heart that lit me from inside.

It guided me and shone
Surer than noonday sunlight over me,
And led me to the one
Whom only I could see
Deep in a place where only we could be.

O guiding dark of night!
O dark of night more darling than the dawn!
O night that can unite
A lover and loved one,
Lover and loved one moved in unison.

And on my flowering breast
Which I had kept for him and him alone
He slept as I caressed
And loved him for my own,
Breathing an air from redolent cedars blown.

And from the castle wall
The wind came down to winnow through his hair
Bidding his fingers fall,
Searing my throat with air
And all my senses were suspended there.

I stayed there to forget.
There on my lover, face to face, I lay.
All ended, and I let
My cares all fall away
Forgotten in the lilies on that day.

Poems Found in Translation: Saint John of the Cross: The Dark Night of the Soul (From Spanish)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I consider Pan to be my patron god, since I discovered sex in a secluded wood. I'll leave the details of that for Eros. ;-)

PruePhillip

Sex has always been part of spirituality. During sex, you lose yourself in another person and succumb to heights of emotion and pleasure like in no other act. Not only has sex been either a part of spirituality, but spiritual metaphors of union with God are often made with sex in mind.

"Dark Night of the Soul," by Saint John of the Cross:

Once in the dark of night,
Inflamed with love and yearning, I arose
(O coming of delight!)
And went, as no one knows,
When all my house lay long in deep repose

All in the dark went right,
Down secret steps, disguised in other clothes,
(O coming of delight!)
In dark when no one knows,
When all my house lay long in deep repose.

And in the luck of night
In secret places where no other spied
I went without my sight
Without a light to guide
Except the heart that lit me from inside.

It guided me and shone
Surer than noonday sunlight over me,
And led me to the one
Whom only I could see
Deep in a place where only we could be.

O guiding dark of night!
O dark of night more darling than the dawn!
O night that can unite
A lover and loved one,
Lover and loved one moved in unison.

And on my flowering breast
Which I had kept for him and him alone
He slept as I caressed
And loved him for my own,
Breathing an air from redolent cedars blown.

And from the castle wall
The wind came down to winnow through his hair
Bidding his fingers fall,
Searing my throat with air
And all my senses were suspended there.

I stayed there to forget.
There on my lover, face to face, I lay.
All ended, and I let
My cares all fall away
Forgotten in the lilies on that day.

Poems Found in Translation: Saint John of the Cross: The Dark Night of the Soul (From Spanish)

This stuff reminds me of Solomon in the bible. He was right into sensuality.
So different from this father, King David.
And in the end the women in King Solomon's life took him away from God.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I've learned that I have enough masculine qualities within my primarily feminine psyche that I don't need to go searching elsewhere for masculinity.

PureX

Veteran Member

What you're saying makes sense, for you, I think. But I also think you are quite an unusual 'specimen', both in terms of sexuality and religiosity. My only thought is that it's sad that more men (regardless of sexual or religious identifications) don't explore and appreciate the 'feminine divine'. I am convinced that doing so would help them, and help the world through them, by moving force, and violence, to being a less automatic and common response to difficult human interactions.

MikeDwight

Isn't Matthew 19 a sign as much AS , in the Old Testament, all the faithful man of Israel to God as a Covenant were Circumcised. How Clear IS Jesus Christ about the position of the human sexuality. How clear, is it as a PUBLIC Expression of the Faith? I Really want to reach out and understand other people, behaviors, schemas, outlooks, who are SO hyper critical as if there are Private Matters in discussion.

Someone asks you why you don't enjoy a presentation. They say, they don't want to hear anything out of the Bible. They believe I Will feel any sort of immaturity or growing to do , when they laugh about erections. I think the state of an all-inclusive public education system is broken, in that regard.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money

My spiritual life started in about the tenth year
I used to pray and my family noticed this and left me because this reflects a positive effect in my communication with God
As I enter my teens 18, and i start try look at sexuality
I noticed that my distinctive spiritual powers are influenced by a opposite effect with sex
Perhaps because it was not legitimate try and because sins leave negative energy

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The match that lit the funeral pyre of my relationship with Christianity was accepting being gay. Before that the church’s position was immaterial and irrelevant to me.

After finding out I was for all intents and purposes “shunned”, in not being able to receive Communion I had to question what kind of God would condone, permit or require that? Especially when he knows damn well it’s not something I had a choice in. I am who and what I am. That caused a cascade of questioning the whole theology and cosmology of Christianity.

I had always had a strong interest in, and attraction for India and Hinduism. That Christianity betrayed me only served to underscore that Hinduism is where I belong, probably having been Hindu in past lives. Christianity actually did me a favor.

Kapalika

Premium Member

My personal example didn't directly involve sexuality, although Tantra is all about sex. Sex is the interplay between Shakti and Shiva, and Anu is that which is birthed from it, and is the balancing point. This is metaphorical of course, but it is possible to use sex magic to achieve spiritual ends. The ancient Kapalikas for example believed that union with Shiva and Shakti was like one ever lasting orgasm.

Yes. I discovered, in my teens, that I was a standard heterosexual man and that I really could not make myself think that it was sinful to engage in sexual activity.

Ya, I had a similar reaction as a teen, at least for a while, but I was never Catholic. This is a good example.

This stuff reminds me of Solomon in the bible. He was right into sensuality.
So different from this father, King David.
And in the end the women in King Solomon's life took him away from God.

Remember, David spied on Bathsheba. She did nothing, was not a willing participant. It was David's own lust and entitlement that lead him away. I don't enough about King Solomon to comment, but as a king, a lot of women probably had little to no choice in the matter.

I've learned that I have enough masculine qualities within my primarily feminine psyche that I don't need to go searching elsewhere for masculinity.

<3

What you're saying makes sense, for you, I think. But I also think you are quite an unusual 'specimen', both in terms of sexuality and religiosity. My only thought is that it's sad that more men (regardless of sexual or religious identifications) don't explore and appreciate the 'feminine divine'. I am convinced that doing so would help them, and help the world through them, by moving force, and violence, to being a less automatic and common response to difficult human interactions.

My sexuality is fairly normal. I'm more or less bisexual, maybe demisexual (at least demisexual when it comes to men). My example didn't include my sexuality. As far as my gender, transwomen are the most common (or at least the most out and represented) population of transgender individuals. In most ways I'm like any other woman so I don't find myself unusual in that way.

Religiously? Yes, I am definitely unusual, even for a Satanist or a Tantric, though not the only example of this type of belief system (mixing a Dharmic religion and modern LHP) and LaVey's daughter, Zeena Schreck and her husband are probably the most prominent, mixing Buddhism and Satanism (or only being the former now? Not sure, they consider themselves Left Hand Path either way).

I do agree that a lot of people would benefit from a bit more 'balance' in their lives. In terms of my own way of thinking, you're right but I'd extend it to women willing to be more assertive, take more agency in their lives. Sadly the patriarchy has convinced generations of women to be silent and accept that they don't have as much privilege or social standing as men, and to always compare themselves to other women as objects and status symbols.

Isn't Matthew 19 a sign as much AS , in the Old Testament, all the faithful man of Israel to God as a Covenant were Circumcised. How Clear IS Jesus Christ about the position of the human sexuality. How clear, is it as a PUBLIC Expression of the Faith? I Really want to reach out and understand other people, behaviors, schemas, outlooks, who are SO hyper critical as if there are Private Matters in discussion.

Someone asks you why you don't enjoy a presentation. They say, they don't want to hear anything out of the Bible. They believe I Will feel any sort of immaturity or growing to do , when they laugh about erections. I think the state of an all-inclusive public education system is broken, in that regard.

I don't really understand what it is you are trying to say.

My spiritual life started in about the tenth year
I used to pray and my family noticed this and left me because this reflects a positive effect in my communication with God
As I enter my teens 18, and i start try look at sexuality
I noticed that my distinctive spiritual powers are influenced by a opposite effect with sex
Perhaps because it was not legitimate try and because sins leave negative energy

Same with this post I don't know what you mean, can you clarify what you mean?

I had always had a strong interest in, and attraction for India and Hinduism. That Christianity betrayed me only served to underscore that Hinduism is where I belong, probably having been Hindu in past lives. Christianity actually did me a favor.

I had a long journey before I discovered Hinduism, but for me it was reversed, since I could only fully accept that I wasn't cishet after I found Hinduism, even though I realized it after discovering Satanism. (Though, I had thoughts for years in my young teens, but those and other feelings were suppressed in Christian environments where I had no choice but to live in part of the time).

PruePhillip

feelings were suppressed in Christian environments where I had no choice but to live in part of the time).

Now days in Western societies there little to "repress" you - you can screw dogs if you like.
And that's the problem.
King David took advantage of a woman. We read he repented of this and the child died.
Our Sensuous Solomon however was warned by God about the influence of his many
wives, and did not repent.
The thing about sex as religion is that at some point you can't do it anymore, you have
no desires, and no-one wants you in any case. So that's it - it's all gone even before you
have gone.

PureX

Veteran Member
Sadly the patriarchy has convinced generations of women to be silent and accept that they don't have as much privilege or social standing as men, and to always compare themselves to other women as objects and status symbols.
I actually think that has occurred because women are innately powerful beings in ways that men are not. Men are generally only physically stronger. Which doesn't leave them a lot of options when they encounter difficulties in life. Whereas women, because they do not have the option of physical force, have developed other means of dealing with difficulties. And that actually makes them more effective in doing so.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Now days in Western societies there little to "repress" you - you can screw dogs if you like.
And that's the problem.
King David took advantage of a woman. We read he repented of this and the child died.
Our Sensuous Solomon however was warned by God about the influence of his many
wives, and did not repent.
The thing about sex as religion is that at some point you can't do it anymore, you have
no desires, and no-one wants you in any case. So that's it - it's all gone even before you
have gone.

You clearly have never lived in Appalachia or the American South. When I lived in West Virginia I literally couldn't even get doctors to see me, and the only place in town that would hire me was Walmart because I'm transgender (they are overall a bad company but one thing they are good at is having strong policies about harassment and discrimination).

Actually, in the major town near where I'm from there was a very concentrated effort to curtail any possible protections to make this illegal, and the Churches convinced the Council to not adopt it, 6 to 3. Parkersburg votes down LGBT nondiscrimination ordinance

I know (or knew more so) a lot of people involved in the churches in that town and surrounding towns, and just generally knew a very diverse group of people. Sexual repression was huge there. When I moved to central California, in the most conservative parts of the state, I even then had a ton of culture shock about attitudes about sex here. People have made jokes about me being a modest, sexually repressed Satanist and the irony of that. The truth is, I'm actually about average for the non church goers of where I come from.

And you also seem to be mistaking the interplay of sexuality and religion; it isn't religion about sex, but rather how one's identity and religion inform each other. While gender identity and sexual orientation are separate, they along with politics, religion and ethnicity often intersect in one's practice of their beliefs to some extent. In my case, more than others, and that intersection is what the topic was aimed at.

In the cases where sexuality is incorporated into spiritual practices, that's just one of the tools it employs, and of course one's orientation will play into that. Likewise, for someone like me, being a woman, I have a different relationship with Tantric sex than a man would. Doubly so since I have different experiences before and during my transition than that of a ciswoman's. Those experiences have influenced my different viewpoints on my spirituality throughout the years, in many ways making me see spirituality and the relationship to the divine in a wider perspective.

Also old people get it on all the time, I don't see why you think suddenly people have no desire for it anymore and no one wants them.

And actually no one is okay with people screwing dogs. Where bestiality is not explicitly illegal it will usually fall under animal abuse if the authorities get wind of it. I could give the benefit of the doubt and assume you were using hyperbole but I'm not sure these days about anything.

Lastly, I don't see the problem with Solomon and his polygamy in of itself, I more worry about how able women were able to consent in those instances is all I'd be concerned with. I have nothing against ethical polygamy or polyamory (met a lot of polyamerous people in California, although I have always been monogamous). At least Solomon (supposedly) gave us the Lesser Key of Solomon, with the Goetia in it (been loving working with Goetic demons as of late).

MikeDwight

My personal example didn't directly involve sexuality, although Tantra is all about sex. Sex is the interplay between Shakti and Shiva, and Anu is that which is birthed from it, and is the balancing point. This is metaphorical of course, but it is possible to use sex magic to achieve spiritual ends. The ancient Kapalikas for example believed that union with Shiva and Shakti was like one ever lasting orgasm.

Ya, I had a similar reaction as a teen, at least for a while, but I was never Catholic. This is a good example.

Remember, David spied on Bathsheba. She did nothing, was not a willing participant. It was David's own lust and entitlement that lead him away. I don't enough about King Solomon to comment, but as a king, a lot of women probably had little to no choice in the matter.

<3

My sexuality is fairly normal. I'm more or less bisexual, maybe demisexual (at least demisexual when it comes to men). My example didn't include my sexuality. As far as my gender, transwomen are the most common (or at least the most out and represented) population of transgender individuals. In most ways I'm like any other woman so I don't find myself unusual in that way.

Religiously? Yes, I am definitely unusual, even for a Satanist or a Tantric, though not the only example of this type of belief system (mixing a Dharmic religion and modern LHP) and LaVey's daughter, Zeena Schreck and her husband are probably the most prominent, mixing Buddhism and Satanism (or only being the former now? Not sure, they consider themselves Left Hand Path either way).

I do agree that a lot of people would benefit from a bit more 'balance' in their lives. In terms of my own way of thinking, you're right but I'd extend it to women willing to be more assertive, take more agency in their lives. Sadly the patriarchy has convinced generations of women to be silent and accept that they don't have as much privilege or social standing as men, and to always compare themselves to other women as objects and status symbols.

I had a long journey before I discovered Hinduism, but for me it was reversed, since I could only fully accept that I wasn't cishet after I found Hinduism, even though I realized it after discovering Satanism. (Though, I had thoughts for years in my young teens, but those and other feelings were suppressed in Christian environments where I had no choice but to live in part of the time).
You know, the only comment I've ever gotten out here in a 1,000 posts is, gee, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Its not going to help out to take the side that we're in a misunderstanding of phrases, is it? I'm not causing a problem for us, am I, with some interpretation? Is this some game, because people have to take some Basic amount of comprehension from Any given message. Why does no one take a Basic level of Comprehension and further probe using the Comprehension they did gain?

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money

<3

When I was young I used to worship God a lot and pray a lot
To the point that I feel community respect even demons are afraid to participate with me

But in the event of a violation or guilt or anger or unacceptable acts of religion

The degree of respect falls, and others have a desire to clash with me and see myself powerless and weak, so that demons around me show their strength on me.

I am an expert in repairing what I have spoiled
I do good deeds such as providing food for animals, watering plants and helping the needy to reach the spiritual strength I was obtaining

The soul needs nourishment and the nourishment of the soul is the luminous energy
My soul needs millions of calories daily to reach a spiritually superior level
Calories are worshiping ALLAH and do good deeds

So I want to invest the spiritual energy to do good

I reached a level where my intuition was so strong that friends and family thought I had a hidden science

The devils worshiped by some are very weak but rather they are trying to approach courteously so that they are not punished because of their mistakes but are looking for the slightest mistake to spoil your energy on you.

I know very well. I studied respectfully and since I was young I have been performing spiritual and alchemical experiments

Like the Dexter's Laboratory at the bottom of the house, there is a laboratory :D

Hermit

The idea that God sees beyond appearances and that the angels and God are beyond gender helps me be more accepting of people in the LGBT. Because I think we're all essentially playing roles, like we're in a play, and on a higher level our souls aren't defined as masculine or feminine. To me those are part of the illusion of duality and in our more pure, unified, and closer to God state, they wouldn't necessairily serve a purpose. As a result I can reason that even here some souls would identify, express themselves and live differently than what their physically born as or tradition dictates. If someone asks me I'd tell them I'm a straight cisgender male but that would be to keep things simple. The reality is I identify more with my androgynous soul than my vessel. I wear the clothes I wear yet I am much more than these clothes.

PruePhillip

The idea that God sees beyond appearances and that the angels and God are beyond gender helps me be more accepting of people in the LGBT. Because I think we're all essentially playing roles, like we're in a play, and on a higher level our souls aren't defined as masculine or feminine. To me those are part of the illusion of duality and in our more pure, unified, and closer to God state, they wouldn't necessairily serve a purpose. As a result I can reason that even here some souls would identify, express themselves and live differently than what their physically born as or tradition dictates. If someone asks me I'd tell them I'm a straight cisgender male but that would be to keep things simple. The reality is I identify more with my androgynous soul than my vessel. I wear the clothes I wear yet I am much more than these clothes.

What's interesting about this LGBT thing is the sexualization of our society.
And if anyone can demonstrate that is a good thing (even with children now)
then go ahead and show me. As for what God thinks about our society - it
depends on what God you are talking of - certainly the God of the bible would
have an issue with our adulterous and drug addled society.