• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritualism?

rocala

So far I have not found any references to Spiritualism on this site. Is this faith surviving in the modern world.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure it'd be quite right to refer to Spiritualism as a religion or a faith as much as belief regarding the afterlife. Many aspects of that movement have been incorporated within other cultural (most notably, pretty much every show about mediums you've ever seen) or religious movements (most notably the New Age movement and various types of Christianity) since its initial development. Though it was a relatively recent movement, it pretty much was just reinventing the wheel by repackaging the form of divination called necromancy.

I'd also bear in mind that most references to Spiritualism on RF proper are not people referring to Spiritualism proper, but butchering the term spirituality without realizing Spiritualism is a thing.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd also bear in mind that most references to Spiritualism on RF proper are not people referring to Spiritualism proper, but butchering the term spirituality without realizing Spiritualism is a thing.
Yes, it still makes me cringe when people use that term to refer to spirituality. There is no "ism" to spirituality. "Isms" are part of beliefs. Applying it to spirituality sounds like taking the word breathing and referring to those who practice it as believing in "breathingism".

arthra

Baha'i
In the US there is a National Association of Spiritualist Churches...They define Spiritualism as

"Spiritualism is the Science, Philosophy, and Religion of continuous life, based upon the demonstrated fact of communication, by means of mediumship, with those who live in the Spirit World."

Baha'is have no associations with Mediums as such.

rocala

Jayhawker - I found the pages, but not much about the subject matter.

Red Economist - You may be right but I am not looking for creepy things, rather a specific spiritual framework.

Quintessence - I was introduced to the subject as a child and I twice explored further in my teens and twenties. What I am referring to was a religion.

Arthra - Thank you, your description pretty much tallies with what I found in the UK

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Jayhawker - I found the pages, but not much about the subject matter.

Red Economist - You may be right but I am not looking for creepy things, rather a specific spiritual framework.

Quintessence - I was introduced to the subject as a child and I twice explored further in my teens and twenties. What I am referring to was a religion.

Arthra - Thank you, your description pretty much tallies with what I found in the UK
@rocala - a recommendation: when you answer someone, quote and/or tag him (as I have done here). The latter is done by prefixing the username with the '@' symbol. Doing either will notify the person that you have addressed or referenced him.

Unification

So far I have not found any references to Spiritualism on this site. Is this faith surviving in the modern world.

Spirit is just a word. Another word would be "aura." Sensation or ability to feel, experience. . BEING.

Auraism, Beingism.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think it is surviving in small niches. I am very fascinated by the concept of mediums but one has to be careful (even though I do believe such things are at least sometimes real).

Angel1

Angel

Spiritualism does not stand alone. It is part of the New Age Movement which is simply a general upgrading in the spiritual education of everyone here in our world, a link in the chain.

Excerpts from: ‘Aquarian Conspiracy’ -- http://innerquest1.blogspot.com/2006/09/aquarian-conspiracy.html

"To call our attention to the more spiritual aspects of our being and commence the necessary preparations for the coming New Age, two important major movements drawing extensively from supernatural sources were initiated, one by the Great White Brotherhood, the other by the Spirits of Truth. Eastern and Western, these constitute two seemingly different approaches, but each complements the other and both are working for the same goals. There is only One God and one Truth.

As early as 1850, the Spirits of Truth with the spirit guides and guardian angels had already initiated their own work in the Christian context. Their primary objective then was to provide proofs of the survival of the spirit. Countless Spiritualist mediums in Europe and America now began to manifest all sorts of magical and highly entertaining phenomena. Tables rapped messages, so did ouija boards convey information from beyond. Ghosts and apparitions regaled and frightened. Objects flying all over the place appeared and disappeared from view. Much of these manifestations were subsequently proven to be false, but enough of the genuine articles convinced those with open minds that there is a greater reality, another world beyond ours.

After the more thoughtful among the people got over their fascination and wonder, they began to question why all the fuss, what does it all mean. This time, the Spirits chose a Frenchman, Leon-Denizarth-Hippolyte Rivail, a member of several learned societies and a scientist-researcher well known in scientific circles to disseminate their explanations and teachings. Through various mediums and countless seances, a special team of Spirit teachers, among them the Apostle John and St. Augustine, communicated to Rivail the beginning basis of the promised revelations, the All Truth referred to by Jesus, the many things kept hidden since the foundation of the world, which in Jesus’ time, the people would not have been able to understand.

In the United States today, Channeling has taken over from Spiritualism. Each addition to the series brings in new insights and reveals deeper aspects of the same eternal Truths."

Spiritualism is alive and well in western New York at the Lily Dale Assembly. Lily Dale is the home of many spiritualists who perform readings (if that is the correct term) as well as providing daily education sessions through the summer. It is open to the public and visitors are welcome.
Check it out on their website.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I am unsure of the situation now, but 25 years ago spiritualism was very popular in Western Australia, I had the great pleasure of being welcomed by the Perth Church to participate in a service - it was amazing. I even managed to find a first edition of their bible.
In my experience spiritualists tended to be very warm, caring and introspective people. I saw it as a very genuine incarnation of faith.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not sure it'd be quite right to refer to Spiritualism as a religion or a faith as much as belief regarding the afterlife. Many aspects of that movement have been incorporated within other cultural (most notably, pretty much every show about mediums you've ever seen) or religious movements (most notably the New Age movement and various types of Christianity) since its initial development. Though it was a relatively recent movement, it pretty much was just reinventing the wheel by repackaging the form of divination called necromancy.

I know this is an old thread. I was thinking of giving a heads up that Spiritualism is a religion. I don't know where it would go, and if there are Spiritualist on this board.

I did go to a Spiritualist Church and the consensus was the religion is about god (a creator/force rather than being/person) with which is called Spirit. Within the community of Spiritualists (not to be confused with spirituality or spiritual) there are mediums with whom-like laying of the hands-main purpose with the community is to commune with the departed. So, it's a communion with the Spirits. There is a full sermon and doctrine (though not called that) and tenants to the faith with its history. A lot of pamphlets and a lot of food among nice people. :)

Is it possible to have a Spiritualism section sometime in the future?

I know there is bias around "new religious movements" but maybe put it under religious movements or new age or something like that. It's not a traditional religion as people would refer to with christianity, islam, and judaism. Though, a religion nonetheless.

Was bored and found this... don't mind me.