• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Spiritual Warfare" on tolerance?

applewuud

Fresh Air on NPR yesterday had an interview with Rachel Tabachnick, who researches the "New Apostolic Reformation" movement. The NAR is a far-right evangelical group that believes in "dominionism": that fundamentalist Christians should take over all institutions of society and government (the "seven mountains" of arts and entertainment, business, education, family, government, media and religion), uniting all Protestant churches as one to bring about the Second Coming. It's come to the fore because they're a major force in Gov. Perry's run for the presidency.

The entire transcript is here. But the part that should interest Unitarians is about half way through the interview where she describes the beliefs of Mike Bickle, leader of the International House of Prayer:

he is also semi-famous now for having described Oprah Winfrey as a forerunner of the harlot movement. He says she is winsome, kind, reasonable. She is utterly deceived. A classy woman, a cool woman but she has a spirit of deception and is one of the forerunners to the harlot movement. Just a brief translation of what you think he means by that.

Ms. TABACHNICK: He's talking about the end times. And in the end times narrative there is what is called the Great Harlot or the Great Harlot of Mystery Babylon, and this is a demonic figure in the end times. Throughout Protestant history this has sometimes been described as being the Roman Catholic Church. But it represents the apostate religion of the end time.

So, a guy who's organized prayer rallies for the leading Republican presidential candidate thinks that Oprah Winfrey is leading America astray because she's reasonable. How does that work?

This is from the chapter "The Harlot Babylon: The One World Religion." He says an angel gave John one of the most significant prophecies related to the end times.

John saw a Harlot that will have two global networks. First, it will be a worldwide religious network of great tolerance that will bring together the major world religions into one unified network including Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, etcetera, teaching that every road will lead to God and that everybody is good.

Second, it will be a global economic network. In the middle of the final seven years of this age the Antichrist's plan is to replace the harlot religion of tolerance with Antichrist worship. This new worldwide religion will be very strict without any toleration. All who refuse to worship the Antichrist will be killed. Satan's purpose for the harlot religious system will be to weaken the convictions of the people of the major world religions to prepare them for Antichrist worship.

So if I understand him correctly, what he's saying here is that it's the Antichrist, who's responsible for some people's belief that all the world religions are good but that's just the Antichrist's deception.

Ms. TABACHNICK: Yes. And what they're saying is you cannot tolerate tolerance and that you cannot tolerate religious pluralism. The narrative that he's describing there has been a common narrative to American fundamentalism for over 100 years. But there's one major difference in what Bickle is teaching there. In the fundamentalist narrative all of this happens - the seven years of Antichrist rule happens after the believers have been taken from the earth in the Rapture.

What Mike Bickle is teaching and - to this movement is that no, the believers will remain and they have to be ready to fight and they have to be ready to be martyrs. Now this is a very different end time narrative that creates a very different activism. If you are going to still be around and you have to fight that's very different than believing that you will be raptured and you'll just be watching from the grandstands of heaven.

What a dark, twisted ideology this is. Somehow, those of us who are trying to bring about an age of tolerance, are going to be flipped into an absolute, intolerant worship of an antichrist. This seems illogical to liberals, but to the Strict Father school of morality, tolerance is equivalent to moral weakness, which lets the demons in. To me, the real moral weakness is intolerance, and believing that your own ideas capture the Infinite in a nice little box to be imposed on others is a major cause of evil in the world.

But be advised, that there is a "religious" organization that is directly and literally opposed to tolerance and acceptance of one another (unless/until you believe what they believe). Hence, they believe that what UUs stand for is not just misguided, but actively evil. We are, after all, working for a "worldwide religious network of great tolerance". (If only!) And, Universalism does teach that "all roads lead to God" in the end (perhaps with significant detours if you're not watching out;)).

This "religious" organization is hoping that Gov. Rick Perry will be the next President of the United States, as opposed to President Obama, endorsed by that harlot Oprah Winfrey. :eek:

Thankfully, this group is extremely small and not representative of the vast majority of evangelical Christians. Still, never forget what a small group of committed people can do.

Many Sages One Truth

I hate to say it, but this group is representative of the majority of Evangelical Christians. That's the scary part. I have never seen Evangelicals believe other then this. Oops just noticed this is a DIR, sorry.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
I heard this interview on NPR as well. I imagine you are correct about these people being quite opposed to UU style worship particularly. The "secret satanic undercurrent" narrative appears to have a lot of similarities to the feverish worldview presented in Chick Tracks. It might only a matter of time before they come around ramming stakes into the ground outside UU (and likely other "heretical") churches just like they did to hundreds of Masonic Lodges and so forth, in order to "bind" your satanic influence.

Does the UU organization have or present any opportunities to enter into dialogue with people like this? I don't see how that could be productive (these people seem too angry for dialogue) but given your mission of tolerance maybe you are more creative than I am.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
YIKES!!!!! This is a craaazy story.

Particularly the last part from 32:00 onward in the conversation, about how religious pluralism and unity faiths are evil/anti-Christ. I have a hard time about that because of my own feelings and experiences of multiples influences, we'll say.

But, really.... I don't even know where to start with this.
Just wow.... :(

no-body

These people drive me crazy as I cannot see any way they could ever be reasoned with "Reason, Tolerance and Sanity are all from the devil!"

The most disgusting perversion of Christs teachings. I believe they are here to test our faith.