• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirit is wind... Im serious guys

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I don't know why, but tagging the "spirit" to an element is like redefining it, I guess you can say.

I really like feeling the wind on my face but I'm not sure that thinking of it as a spirit would improve the experience - it would be like giving it a personality or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I like that...radiation or illumination. Really like the word "aura."

Maybe spirit and wind are compatible due to "breath."

Anyhow, I agree... words words words and semantics. I don't mind if someone uses the word "spirit," or whatever they wish. . wordophobia can be a disease.

Kind of like the child saying... "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me." Only with many adults, words and semantics do seem to hurt and offend... along with sticks and stones. :)
Yes words do hurt the childish, but you can call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner.

Marsh

Some of you believe wind is spirit/spirit is wind. If they are one, why say "spirit of the wind" rather than just saying "wind"?
Wind is simply turbulence in the atmosphere. If wind is spirit then turn on a fan or put your arms out and spin in a circle to create your own spirits. When you think about it, the claim makes no sense at all.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Wind is simply turbulence in the atmosphere. If wind is spirit then turn on a fan or put your arms out and spin in a circle to create your own spirits. When you think about it, the claim makes no sense at all.

I disagree. Spirits exist and are in everything and everyone. I personally find it different to say wind as anything other than what it is directly. Everyone has different preferences and reasons. All good.

How would you define spirit?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"For we're like creatures of the wind, and wild is the wind
Wild is the wind"...

Great song, many, many messages inside :)

Wind, fire, water, ground, spirits of the World.

Some people keep repeating "the power of the wind" to gain certain powers.
There is also phrase "Sacred Wind" used to perform some rituals.

Nice topic :)

Sacred Wind. Thats beautiful. Would you say thats the same meaning as saying Spirit Wind?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Am I missing something? Since when did the wind become something other than the air inside of the atmosphere moving about? You know - other planets have plenty of "wind" of their own. Even stronger and more violent than Earth's. Are these also "spirit"? What is with the constant personification of everything around us? What does this afford or benefit anyone?

Thats why I asked why say spirit is air and air is spirit. I believe that spirits are in everything and everyone. They are separate just as I am to my parent. They are the same just as I am the daughter to my parent. We are not each other. Its the breathe of life that everyone and livig thing has (not is). Since we are both physical and spirit there is no personification.

How it (correction: Spirit Wind is diff than Spirit is wind) was described in these posts is one it is a formal name for elements not a personification and the other I have to remember its in another thread I made of the same topic.

There are benefits of personification. People can address what they or who they work with in worship or ritual. It could just be language preference. A lot of things.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Perhaps it can be like the wind, only occurring within. A rush/gush of intuition or aura/sensation.

Its the actual wind itself. (External) Though that definitetly can be the results. (Internal) but I dont break the two. Its easier to just say wind. "The wind beneath her wings" :)

Unification

Its the actual wind itself. (External) Though that definitetly can be the results. (Internal) but I dont break the two. Its easier to just say wind. "The wind beneath her wings" :)

Applying that,

Winds(spirits) would be confined to the earth and its atmosphere, since wind is the movement of air and there is no air in outer space... unless there are solar winds(spirits) also. :)

Not a bad song.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Applying that,
F
Winds(spirits) would be confined to the earth and its atmosphere, since wind is the movement of air and there is no air in outer space... unless there are solar winds(spirits) also. :)

Not a bad song.

Yep. Some spirits are earth spirits and some not. Hate when people think the earth is the center of the universe. Reminds me when everyone thought the earth was flat.

I usually reserve the word spirits for souls who have passed but still on earth. The spirit, for lack of better words, or breathe of life is not only in us but in the elements too. Calling wind etc spirit is like calling you human since we all have the same spirit. Calling wind, wind and sun, sun is calling you by name. Its more personal.

There is a native religion cant think of the name that, instead of saying "come spirits" they start naming each individual family member to their most remembered ancestor. They invoke their ancestors by name. Its beautiful.

Last edited:

Markella

If you don't want to Know don't ask:}
Some of you believe wind is spirit/spirit is wind. If they are one, why say "spirit of the wind" rather than just saying "wind"?
I see it as a simple laziness. Every "living" entity has a "spirit" which can very easily be confused with a soul, the wind being a very difficult "being" to understand (and dangerous as well) can easily be simplified by this belief, from either fear or lack of understanding.

Markella

If you don't want to Know don't ask:}
May I add that in a scientific basis, is it not quite ignorant to believe that the only living knowledgeable beings in existence consist of carbon based matter? Who is to say carbon based matter is not the most Neolithic of all conscience beings?

Pudding

Some of you believe wind is spirit/spirit is wind.
Spirit
- the characteristics of a person that are considered as being separate from the body, and that many religions believe continue to exist after the body dies
- the form of a dead person, similar to a ghost, or the feeling that a dead person is present although you cannot see them

In this way, i interpret spirit as human's soul.
To say "i believe wind is spirit or spirit is wind", it can be understand as "i believe soul can be manifest in the phenomena of wind".

If they are one, why say "spirit of the wind" rather than just saying "wind"?
Spirit of the wind? Wind's soul? What is the full sentence?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Spirit
- the characteristics of a person that are considered as being separate from the body, and that many religions believe continue to exist after the body dies
- the form of a dead person, similar to a ghost, or the feeling that a dead person is present although you cannot see them

In this way, i interpret spirit as human's soul.
To say wind is spirit or spirit is wind, it can be understand as soul can be manifest in the phenomena of wind.

Spirit of the wind? Wind's soul? What is the full sentence?

John believes in a Wind's Soul; he believes that the Wind owns or has a soul.

Jane believes that the Wind has within a Spirit. She calls it The Spirit of the Wind.

These are very poetic. If John and Jane believes that Wind is Spirit/Wind is Soul why not just say wind rather than Wind's Soul or Spirit of the WInd. It sounds nice just like saying Sacred Wind (which I prefer now sence I read it) or Spirit Wind. I'm just curiou because everyone and thing has a Spirit but each person is unique. I am unique. You are. Wind is as well as Sun.

"soul can manifest in the Phenomena of the Wind" Literally? Metaphorically?

Pudding

Jane believes that the Wind has within a Spirit. She calls it The Spirit of the Wind.

These are very poetic. If John and Jane believes that Wind is Spirit/Wind is Soul why not just say wind rather than Wind's Soul or Spirit of the WInd. It sounds nice just like saying Sacred Wind (which I prefer now sence I read it) or Spirit Wind. I'm just curiou because everyone and thing has a Spirit but each person is unique. I am unique. You are. Wind is as well as Sun.
Believes in a wind's soul or wind owns/has a soul or within the wind it has a spirit, can be understand as saying some part of wind is soul/spirit.
It does not necessarily equal to when saying "believes wind is soul/spirit" which can be interpret as the whole part of wind is spirit/soul.

If John and Jane have to say wind rather than wind's soul or spirit of the wind, let's see how their previous statement will become:
"John believes in a wind's wind; he believes that the wind owns/has a wind."
"Jane believes that within the wind it has a wind. She calls it wind."

Replace [soul/spirit/spirit of the wind] with wind, the statements become illogical.

"soul can manifest in the Phenomena of the Wind" Literally? Metaphorically?
If someone say he believes soul can manifest in the phenomena of the wind, it means he believes sometimes when wind blew upon him, he believes the wind is phenomena of his decease loved one's soul touching him in a sence the soul is comfort his sadness or accompany him, which in a positive way can encourage him.

The belief is, soul can manifest in the phenomena of the wind.
Literally, it says soul can manifest in the phenomena of the wind, but it doesn't necesarry to mean whole of soul's composition is make up by wind.

I don't know how to response to your question of "Metaphorically?" .

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Before I had clarification of what some posts meant when they said "Wind is Spirit and Spirit is Wind", I assumed that if one is the other, and everyone has a spirit, Wind is much more direct; why not say that. (Just asking honest and nice)

John believes in a wind's wind; he believes that the wind owns/has a wind."
"Jane believes that within the wind it has a wind. She calls it wind."

With this, it would be:

John believes in the Wind. He believes Wind has/owns a Soul.
Jane believes in the Wind. She believes the Wind possess a soul.

Same thing somewhat just different ways of saying that they believe in the Wind and they believe this Wind has (therefore owns) a Soul.

Simply:

"John believes in the Wind" and "Jane believes in the Wind"
However they define wind whether it owns a spirit (former) or just has a spirit within it (latter) is just the explanation of the two statements.

If someone say he believes soul can manifest in the phenomena of the wind, it means he believes sometimes when wind blew upon him, he believes the wind is phenomena of his decease loved one's soul touching him in a sence the soul is comfort his sadness or accompany him, which in a positive w

That's beautiful and to the point.

Pudding

Before I had clarification of what some posts meant when they said "Wind is Spirit and Spirit is Wind", I assumed that if one is the other, and everyone has a spirit, Wind is much more direct; why not say that. (Just asking honest and nice)

With this, it would be:

John believes in the Wind. He believes Wind has/owns a Soul.
Jane believes in the Wind. She believes the Wind possess a soul.

Same thing somewhat just different ways of saying that they believe in the Wind and they believe this Wind has (therefore owns) a Soul.

Simply:

"John believes in the Wind" and "Jane believes in the Wind"
However they define wind whether it owns a spirit (former) or just has a spirit within it (latter) is just the explanation of the two statements.
John/Jane believes in the Wind.
They believe in the Wind for what?
They believe wind exists?
They believe wind is their friend?
They believe wind will never stop?
It's not sure what they believe in about wind.

John believes in a Wind's Soul or Jane believes that within the wind it has a spirit.
It can be understand as they believes wind's soul/spirit exists.

The words soul and spirit is there because it's the important context describe about their statements, without it, their statements can be interpret into anything.

She believes the Wind possess a soul.
She calls it The Spirit of the Wind. (Spirit = soul)
Wind possess a soul/spirit, The Spirit of the Wind is the soul which possess on wind.
It's the same meaning.
Why it can't be call The Spirit of the Wind?

Part of this initial statement is a little superflous:
John believes in a Wind's Soul" is the same as "he believes that the Wind owns or has a soul.
Only one is enough.

While other statement:
She calls the spirit which within the wind the name The Spirit of the Wind.

Within the wind it has a spirit, it means it has a [spirit inside/within the wind], it's the same as The Spirit of the Wind.

Why she can't calls the [spirit inside/within the wind] the name The Spirit of the Wind ?

That's beautiful and to the point.
No disagreement.

Edit: I've remove all the quotation.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"John/Jane believes in the Wind."
They believe in the Wind for what?
They believe wind exists?
They believe wind is their friend?
They believe wind will never stop?
It's not sure what they believe in about wind.

"John believes in a Wind's Soul." or "Jane believes that within the wind it has a spirit."
It can be understand as they believes wind's soul/spirit exists.

The words soul and spirit is there because it's the important context describe about their statements, without it, their statements can be interpret into anything.

"She believes the Wind possess a soul."
"She calls it The Spirit of the Wind." (Spirit = soul)
Wind possess a soul/spirit, "The Spirit of the Wind" is the soul which possess on wind.
It's the same meaning.
Why it can't be call "The Spirit of the Wind" ?

"John believes in a Wind's Soul; he believes that the Wind owns or has a soul."
"John believes in a Wind's Soul" is the same as "he believes that the Wind owns or has a soul."
Only one is enough.

While other statement:
"Jane believes that the Wind has within a Spirit. She calls it The Spirit of the Wind."
She calls the "spirit which within the wind" the name "The Spirit of the Wind"

Within the wind it has a spirit, it means it has a "spirit inside/within the wind", it's the same as "The Spirit of the Wind".

Why she can't calls the "spirit inside/within the wind" the name "The Spirit of the Wind" ?

No disagreement.

You have too many quotations. Two posters on RF that I know of refer to Wind as either Spirit IS the Wind and the other Spirit Wind.

In my faith, I say Wind, Sun, Moon, whatever. So, I was curious as to how 1. How can the Wind can literally be a Spirit and 2. Why call the Wind "Spirit Wind" rather than just Wind. Of course, for both, these are individual preferences according their particular religion; but, I was curious nonetheless.

I couldnt understand how Person 1 put it since it's in another thread, I'd have to dig it out. Person 2 said saying Spirit Wind is more honory and formal than just saying Wind. Both are not using it as metaphors, poetry, or anything like that. They are literally talking about the Wind.

What I found interesting was a person can say Wind IS a spirit rather than has or posses one. How I define Spirit as a soul of a deceased person and another definition in context the breathe of life is not A element the elements and people are moved by the spirit; the spirit is the engine everything living is the car.

:leafwind:

Without the full statement, you are right, it could mean anything. If I'm understanding you right. If we just said Wind is Spirit are you saying that cannot stand alone.

"John believes in a Wind's Soul; he believes that the Wind owns or has a soul."
"John believes in a Wind's Soul" is the same as "he believes that the Wind owns or has a soul."
Only one is enough.

While other statement:
"Jane believes that the Wind has within a Spirit. She calls it The Spirit of the Wind."
She calls the "spirit which within the wind" the name "The Spirit of the Wind"

The first one is "John believes in the Wind. He believes the Wind has a soul."
The second is "Jane believes in the Wind. She believes the Wind possesses a soul"

Anyway, that's not really my point of the OP. I was wondering about the phrase "Wind is Spirit/Spirit is Wind". Unless there is another definition of Spirit I am not aware of, unless the Spirit is In the Wind (it's the Wind's breathe, I guess you can say), I dont see the correlation of how one can be the other.