• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirit is wind... Im serious guys

Covellite

"For we're like creatures of the wind, and wild is the wind
Wild is the wind"...

Great song, many, many messages inside :)

Wind, fire, water, ground, spirits of the World.

Some people keep repeating "the power of the wind" to gain certain powers.
There is also phrase "Sacred Wind" used to perform some rituals.

Nice topic :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How so? Wind Spirit is more formal and wind informal?

It is, but it also has to do with recognizing the divinity/personhood of the thing being referenced versus not recognizing it. "Wind Spirit" or "Sun Spirit" is a way of referencing and acknowledging its divine status rather than it being "merely" the sun or "merely" the wind to those who don't deify the natural world.

People equating "spirit" and "wind" is a different thing entirely than going "Spirit of the Wind" or "Wind Spirit." The association with "spirit" and "air" is etymological but is also rooted in natural philosophy of Western culture:

J. Opsopaus said:
The connection between Air and the soul is reflected in many languages; the Greek words psyche (i.e. psukhê), aura and pneuma, and the Latin words spiritus, anima and animus all refer primarily to breath or wind but secondarily to the soul. Also, in Hebrew we have rûah and in Sanskrit, prâna, with similar double meanings. For example, in the Greek tradition Anaximenes (6th cent. BCE), who considered Aêr the first principle of everything, said that it is the stuff of breath and soul, and therefore the principle of life, sensation and reaction. Also, the Pythagorean Diogenes of Apollonia (5th cent. BCE) identified the soul with Warm (and therefore active, moving) Air and said, "People and other animals live by breathing air, and this is for them both soul and intelligence."

Air's power as a mediator means that it has an essential role as the Spirit (or Mediating Soul), which unites the Mind (or Higher Soul) with the body. (Since the English words "spirit," "soul," "psyche" etc. have a variety of meanings and are used in different ways in different traditions, please beware that I may not be using these terms in the way you're used to; I'll try to make my meaning clear.) For example, Empedocles says the Breath-Soul or Spirit (Psukhê, associated with Air), unites the Body (Sôma) with the Principle of Motion (Kinêtikê). Pythagoras is credited with the idea that the Breath-Soul is a Harmonia (conjunction of opposites).
From: http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/AGEDE/Air.html

A Vestigial Mote

Some of you believe wind is spirit/spirit is wind. If they are one, why say "spirit of the wind" rather than just saying "wind"?
Am I missing something? Since when did the wind become something other than the air inside of the atmosphere moving about? You know - other planets have plenty of "wind" of their own. Even stronger and more violent than Earth's. Are these also "spirit"? What is with the constant personification of everything around us? What does this afford or benefit anyone?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Am I missing something? Since when did the wind become something other than the air inside of the atmosphere moving about? You know - other planets have plenty of "wind" of their own. Even stronger and more violent than Earth's. Are these also "spirit"? What is with the constant personification of everything around us? What does this afford or benefit anyone?

I dont know, honestly. I have been asking that myself for years. Instead of a spirit as a person, maybe it could be "life/breathe 'inside' air". Good example is if that breathe didn't exist, then there'd be no such thing as wind. The motor to a car, type of thing. I mean someone can press the gass (earth revolving) but if the engine doesn't work (spirit), the car will go no where. That's the closest I can think of.

Since the motor is part of the car, instead of refering to the motor individually, I'd just say "my car doesn't run."

May not help you, but best I can do.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It is, but it also has to do with recognizing the divinity/personhood of the thing being referenced versus not recognizing it. "Wind Spirit" or "Sun Spirit" is a way of referencing and acknowledging its divine status rather than it being "merely" the sun or "merely" the wind to those who don't deify the natural world.

People equating "spirit" and "wind" is a different thing entirely than going "Spirit of the Wind" or "Wind Spirit." The association with "spirit" and "air" is etymological but is also rooted in natural philosophy of Western culture:

From: http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/AGEDE/Air.html

Thank you. That's an interesting view, for first paragraph. I wouldn't say it's not logical or disagree; more my preference of saying wind and sun. I dont know why, but tagging the "spirit" to an element is like redefining it, I guess you can say. Instead of calling my mother Sara, for example, I keep calling her Beautiful Sara. I'm recognizing her beauty, but is it really needed (rethorical question) to say how I feel she looks every time I call to her.

Then you do have many cultures who don't just call people any set of words. Their family name or even sign name (Deaf Culture) means something. So, to call someoone from another country a name without having their family name in it (I dont know which countries do this, I know spanish countries do), it's direspectful.

So, I can see what you're saying in that respect.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There ya go. I was simply looking for your particular definition. The word spirit is vague due to everyone self defining it.
The word spiritual has become so ill defined it is almost useless

I wouldnt say that. Spiritual is keeping in touch and livng by acknowleding one's spirit (as I defined it). I'd say if you appreciate life and what makes it up, you're "spiritual".

Grateful is a less loaded word, though.

Unification

That's interesting, Myself I feel the so called spirit is our radiation, just as a light bulb is aluminate, there is the Christ, which is our true Self and that sprit that is our animated self. we are all ONE, we are all that IS, and nothing will ever separate us, for we are the Pure Source.

I like that...radiation or illumination. Really like the word "aura."

Maybe spirit and wind are compatible due to "breath."

Anyhow, I agree... words words words and semantics. I don't mind if someone uses the word "spirit," or whatever they wish. . wordophobia can be a disease.

Kind of like the child saying... "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me." Only with many adults, words and semantics do seem to hurt and offend... along with sticks and stones. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In Hebrew, wind and spirit are the same word. So a phrase like, "spirit of the wind" or "wind spirit" wouldn't even make sense.

Didn't know that in Hebrew (of course). Yes, though, it is redundent. Depends on context too, I suppose and langauge. In English, it would look more like a metaphor rather than both being the same word.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
"For we're like creatures of the wind, and wild is the wind
Wild is the wind"...

Great song, many, many messages inside :)

Wind, fire, water, ground, spirits of the World.

Some people keep repeating "the power of the wind" to gain certain powers.
There is also phrase "Sacred Wind" used to perform some rituals.

Nice topic :)

Wind is caused by different pressures of vast masses of gas, among other things. I do not see anything spiritual in it.

Ciao

- viole

Unification

Wind is caused by different pressures of vast masses of gas, among other things. I do not see anything spiritual in it.

Ciao

- viole

Perhaps it can be like the wind, only occurring within. A rush/gush of intuition or aura/sensation.