• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirit is wind... Im serious guys

Milton Platt

John 3:8

Like the wind, spirit is invisible. A person cannot see it move or work. However, one can see the effect of what the Spirit does. One can see how it acts on things—just as the wind going through a tree full of leaves. One cannot see the wind, but everyone has seen how it makes the tree's leaves and the branches sway. Some have perhaps witnessed a strong wind knock a nest out of a tree or rip leaves or branches off a tree, but not the wind itself. It is the same with the Spirit. The Spirit moves, and we then can see people react. The people do things. A work gets done. What we see is not the Spirit itself, but the Spirit's fruit

Thanks, Carlita, I got the metaphor, but your description makes it more vivid. I guess my own point is to describe what the spirit actually is, and how we can know that empirically? To simply ascribe things to the action of the (a?) spirit just doesn't work for me. It's just a matter of opinion at that point, and there is nothing factual one can point to. How do you distinguish what the spirit supposedly does with something not caused by the spirit?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure where this came from, the Spirit of the Wind (or Wind Spirit) and wind is like the difference between referring to a person with respect and rudely going "hey you!" or completely failing to acknowledge them as a person at all.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not sure where this came from, the Spirit of the Wind (or Wind Spirit) and wind is like the difference between referring to a person with respect and rudely going "hey you!" or completely failing to acknowledge them as a person at all.

How so? Wind Spirit is more formal and wind informal?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Wind (or air) is sometimes used as a metaphor for some conceptions of spirit, probably because it is demonstrable yet invisible.

(And, of course, in certain contexts "spirit" is a slang word for "alcohol" or "alcoholic beverage").

More than that I don't really know. I suppose the meanings and emphasis will vary according to the situation.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thanks, Carlita, I got the metaphor, but your description makes it more vivid. I guess my own point is to describe what the spirit actually is, and how we can know that empirically? To simply ascribe things to the action of the (a?) spirit just doesn't work for me. It's just a matter of opinion at that point, and there is nothing factual one can point to. How do you distinguish what the spirit supposedly does with something not caused by the spirit?

I think you're refering to the wrong person? The closest down to earth explanation I can give for spirit is energy and breathe. Both of these are life. We need these things (for lack of better terms) to live. So when we are in good spirits, our "energy is up" or "we can breathe" type of thing.

It's refering to the combination of psychological and phsiological senses of a person when they experience something personal, religious or not, and something they can't pin down by strict definition. Alot of our feelings etc are like that. It ebbs and flows. It's like the water... rising and falling... it's like the sun, giving energy... it's like the moon..grounding us literally....it's like the wind... the breathe of life.

The name of "spirit" depends on the culture and evironment people live in and what words they use when raised. Outside of that, we are all human. No one is alien to each other. We all have senses. So, describing natural experiences such as spirit as supernatural is beyond my comprehension. It's all natural (not just the five sense either).

psychoslice

Veteran Member
For me personally I don't care about spirit or what it is, there is no need for me to do so, we are simple all One in the Source, call that whatever, to me it means nothing, we are alkl what we are, and don't need to be reduced to any silly concept or belief system.

Cassandra

Some of you believe wind is spirit/spirit is wind. If they are one, why say "spirit of the wind" rather than just saying "wind"?

You are confusing life spirit with spirit here. Our language simply does not have the words to properly distinguish these things any more.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Who really cares what the name is, we don't truly understand what is sprit is, we all have our own definition of what we believe it to be, and that is all we have, so to argue over this is to me being nothing more than childishness, yea, get over it !.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Interesting... there is a religious saying in Islam that says God is the wind, don't curse the wind. Dunno what it means/implies really or how authentic it is, but it does talk about something related to the topic at hand.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Interesting... there is a religious saying in Islam that says God is the wind, don't curse the wind. Dunno what it means/implies really or how authentic it is, but it does talk about something related to the topic at hand.
That's interesting, Myself I feel the so called spirit is our radiation, just as a light bulb is aluminate, there is the Christ, which is our true Self and that sprit that is our animated self. we are all ONE, we are all that IS, and nothing will ever separate us, for we are the Pure Source.

Cassandra

Who really cares what the name is, we don't truly understand what is sprit is, we all have our own definition of what we believe it to be, and that is all we have, so to argue over this is to me being nothing more than childishness, yea, get over it !.
I think the one who is getting upset is you. I agree we all create a different understanding of things, but even then we can still agree on distinguishing things, at least if can sense them properly. Distinguishing is the first step, then label them, then describe them. Not labelling them properly leads to all kinds of misunderstanding.

Yes there is an early philosophy in which breath, wind, life spirit, soul were seen as the same thing. The word Atman means "essence, breath, soul". After all when breath leaves the body people instantly die.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Why am I on RF? So I can learn. That's what I love about life, we learn things even if its miniscule and silly such as what's the difference between A and B.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Wow. That's cool. I also read about we coming from water in the Quran (cant remember where and how it was exactly put; long past thread). Guess I should be Muslim?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Wow. That's cool. I also read about we coming from water in the Quran (cant remember where and how it was exactly put; long past thread). Guess I should be Muslim?

If it is your fate, it will come to you. If it isn't, it will not.

Do what you can do and leave the rest to God (chances), I always say.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think the one who is getting upset is you. I agree we all create a different understanding of things, but even then we can still agree on distinguishing things, at least if can sense them properly. Distinguishing is the first step, then label them, then describe them. Not labelling them properly leads to all kinds of misunderstanding.

Yes there is an early philosophy in which breath, wind, life spirit, soul were seen as the same thing. The word Atman means "essence, breath, soul". After all when breath leaves the body people instantly die.
Yes that is beautiful, not my style though, but yea I can see what you are sayong
Why am I on RF? So I can learn. That's what I love about life, we learn things even if its miniscule and silly such as what's the difference between A and B.
Yes that true, but there is a lot of crape out there lol.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

From Wiki:
A distilled beverage, spirit, liquor, hard liquor or hard alcohol is an alcoholic beverage produced by distillation of a mixture produced from alcoholic fermentation. This process purifies it and removes diluting components like water, for the purpose of increasing its proportion of alcohol content (commonly expressed as alcohol by volume, ABV)...
Brandy is a spirit produced by the distillation of wine, and has an ABV over 35%.
You've never bought anything in a wine and spirit shop?

Milton Platt

I think you're refering to the wrong person? The closest down to earth explanation I can give for spirit is energy and breathe. Both of these are life. We need these things (for lack of better terms) to live. So when we are in good spirits, our "energy is up" or "we can breathe" type of thing.

It's refering to the combination of psychological and phsiological senses of a person when they experience something personal, religious or not, and something they can't pin down by strict definition. Alot of our feelings etc are like that. It ebbs and flows. It's like the water... rising and falling... it's like the sun, giving energy... it's like the moon..grounding us literally....it's like the wind... the breathe of life.

The name of "spirit" depends on the culture and evironment people live in and what words they use when raised. Outside of that, we are all human. No one is alien to each other. We all have senses. So, describing natural experiences such as spirit as supernatural is beyond my comprehension. It's all natural (not just the five sense either).

There ya go. I was simply looking for your particular definition. The word spirit is vague due to everyone self defining it.
The word spiritual has become so ill defined it is almost useless