• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Special Pleading and the Problem of Evil

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
So, the question is ''why diseases exist''?

There isn't really a question so much as there is an argument. The argument is that disease does not have to exist given the premises that God is omnipotent and omniscient.

The rest of the OP is about objections that are brought up to this argument: it addresses the "bad things exist because of free will" argument, it addresses the "maybe bad things have an unknowable explanation" argument.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Can you be more explicit by what you mean by God transcending human emotion?

It means God is transcended. One is, his epistemology does not compute. His emotions do not compute. Simply because he is transcended, it is beyond our human capacity. So our personal emotions cannot in principle transcend Gods.

The case is not emotional, it is about a logical contradiction.

I understand that MM. But the contradiction is based on your own emotions. Do you understand what I say?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
It means God is transcended. One is, his epistemology does not compute. His emotions do not compute. Simply because he is transcended, it is beyond our human capacity. So our personal emotions cannot in principle transcend Gods.

OK, so this is how I was interpreting it, but I wanted to be sure before I answered. Yes, this can be the case.

I understand that MM. But the contradiction is based on your own emotions. Do you understand what I say?

I guess that I don't.

Is it because an emotion (suffering) is involved in the argument? Because arguments involving emotions as a component can still be entirely logical and not emotional. Example:
1) Jenny only ever gets angry in the morning.
2) Jenny is angry.
3) Therefore, it must be the morning.

Now it's a really stupid example, but as you can see, that it merely involves an emotion doesn't make it any less in the realm of logic to decipher; it wouldn't be called an "emotional argument."

If it's not because of suffering being a felt introspection, then I don't know what you mean, and you may have to elucidate for me. Sorry.

firedragon

Veteran Member
OK, so this is how I was interpreting it, but I wanted to be sure before I answered. Yes, this can be the case.

I guess that I don't.

Is it because an emotion (suffering) is involved in the argument? Because arguments involving emotions as a component can still be entirely logical and not emotional. Example:
1) Jenny only ever gets angry in the morning.
2) Jenny is angry.
3) Therefore, it must be the morning.

Now it's a really stupid example, but as you can see, that it merely involves an emotion doesn't make it any less in the realm of logic to decipher; it wouldn't be called an "emotional argument."

If it's not because of suffering being a felt introspection, then I don't know what you mean, and you may have to elucidate for me. Sorry.

Now you will have to bear with me for being abrupt. I am typing with one hand. Baby on the other.

Your premise of "I would prefer a world with nosufferinbg" is based on your emotion. You logically cannot apply that to contradict God as an ontology based on Gods.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I know you're trying to excuse God .
God can never need excuses for anything God does because God cannot make any mistakes because God is infallible
Only humans need excuses because they are fallible so they make mistakes.
God IS THE cause.
I know the truth, as it was revealed by Baha'ullah. God only caused humans, plants and animals to evolve.
Believe whatever you want to believe.
You refer to God as "he" while I refer to it as "it". Your idea of God is a male, which implies it has a penis.
Lol. Believers say he out of respect. God is not a man.
And you admit God created a lot of suffering.
No, I do not admit that. I only ever said that the world has suffering.
Yet you insist it didn't cause disease to exist?
I believe He did not. He only created the conditions under which it could exist.
Of course you are a judge. You're just not a God.
I could judge but it is not my place to judge a God that is all-knowing and all-wise.
There is no "one true God of all religions".
Are you asserting that? If so you need to prove it.
We are giving you the opportunity to claim what God is and how your judgment is reasonable.
I already did that a long time ago and it was rejected.
Yet you only believe it exists, you don't know it exists.
I know, but not in any way you can understand.
One thinks they have the keys of heaven because they believe the claims of others. The other two reject these ideas because they lack evidence and plausibility. So two have freedom, while the other is imprisoned by dogma.
I believe the claims of Baha'u'llah. The Baha'i Faith has no dogma. I am free. I don't care what others believe.
I'm not convinced this is true, nor factual. Why do you claim this?
I believe it because I have done my homework.
Then you shouldn't presume God is good given so much pain and suffering that exists in the world it created. The evidence suggests that if a God exists the way you imagine it it's either incompetent or a sociopath.
The one true God cannot be incompetent because God is all-knowing, all-wise and infallible.
Only your imaginary god is incompetent.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Now you will have to bear with me for being abrupt. I am typing with one hand. Baby on the other.

Your premise of "I would prefer a world with nosufferinbg" is based on your emotion. You logically cannot apply that to contradict God as an ontology based on Gods.

The argument isn't about a preference though: "it would be preferable if there were no suffering" is not a premise of the argument. The argument is that "the existence of suffering [that is possible not to exist] is incongruent with the premise that God is benevolent." It's just pointing out a contradiction, not saying whether one or the other is preferable.

If a god is posited that has the proposed property "makes it rain every day," then dry days would be evidence that this property probably isn't true. In the same way, a god with the proposed property "is benevolent" encounters problems with the observed existence of suffering [specifically if that suffering didn't have to exist given other proposed properties of the god in question]. Neither argument says whether it's preferable for it to rain, or preferable for suffering to exist or not. It's only about whether it's logically consistent with observation.

We don't make the Problem of Evil argument in a vacuum, we make it in response to people that trigger it (by believing the premises that trigger it).

Hopefully this clears that up. I promise you I am not arguing from emotion or imposing my values on God in this particular case (I have no qualms about giving my opinions, but I am telling you that this is not what this argument entails).

firedragon

Veteran Member
Hopefully this clears that up. I promise you I am not arguing from emotion or imposing my values on God in this particular case (I have no qualms about giving my opinions, but I am telling you that this is not what this argument entails).

If its not your emotions, then on what basis are you making suffering as a bad thing or/and in contradiction to God being lets say omnipotent? This is your personal emotional position which is not relevant to God because ontologically God is transcended.

Its like you want a married man to be a bachelor.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
If its not your emotions, then on what basis are you making suffering as a bad thing or/and in contradiction to God being lets say omnipotent? This is your personal emotional position which is not relevant to God because ontologically God is transcended.

You are still not understanding the argument; and attributing things to what I'm saying that I'm not saying.

1) The argument makes no comment on whether suffering is bad or not, only that causing suffering would be in opposition to simultaneously being benevolent (as in, the two contradict).

2) Causing suffering doesn't contradict with omnipotence. The contradiction only occurs when all of the premises are present, not just one or a few of them. If ANY of the premises aren't true, then the whole argument does not work. So we can't just ask "how does causing suffering contradict with omnipotence" or "how does causing suffering contradict with omniscience," because that misses the point and doesn't mean anything. Even with benevolence, causing suffering wouldn't necessarily contradict that if not for the other two premises (because for instance perhaps a god would want to prevent suffering, but couldn't due to not being omnipotent, or might not know how due to not being omniscient, etc.)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Let me try to make an analogy for why your line of questioning is strange.

Let's take these hypothetical premises:
1) People that are angry do not smile
2) John is angry
3) John is smiling

Now whether or not any of these premises are true or even very sensical, we can make the reasonable argument: "Something seems off about these premises. When taken in conjunction with each other, there seems to be a contradiction, or at least something that merits more explanation."

Notice how the "argument" does not say anything about whether smiling is good or desirable, and does not say anything about whether being angry is bad or undesirable. Or the reverse. Notice it doesn't say anything emotional or preferential about that.

Well, the same thing with the other argument. The argument is only that the premises seem to entail a contradiction or at least merits further explanation. It does not argue that suffering is bad. It does not argue that suffering is good. It does not argue that it's preferable for God to be benevolent, it does not argue the reverse of that. It simply says that IF the premises are believed, THEN there is a contradiction. That's it. No emotional appeals. Just logic. I hope that this finally settles this confusion.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Let me try to make an analogy for why your line of questioning is strange.

Let's take these hypothetical premises:
1) People that are angry do not smile
2) John is angry
3) John is smiling

Now whether or not any of these premises are true or even very sensical, we can make the reasonable argument: "Something seems off about these premises. When taken in conjunction with each other, there seems to be a contradiction, or at least something that merits more explanation."

Notice how the "argument" does not say anything about whether smiling is good or desirable, and does not say anything about whether being angry is bad or undesirable. Or the reverse. Notice it doesn't say anything emotional or preferential about that.

Well, the same thing with the other argument. The argument is only that the premises seem to entail a contradiction or at least merits further explanation. It does not argue that suffering is bad. It does not argue that suffering is good. It does not argue that it's preferable for God to be benevolent, it does not argue the reverse of that. It simply says that IF the premises are believed, THEN there is a contradiction. That's it. No emotional appeals. Just logic. I hope that this finally settles this confusion.

1. God is transcended
2. God is not abiding my standards

Dont you think that's wanting a married bachelor?

1. John doesnt smile
2. John is happy
3. John should be smiling

Thats a contradiction.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
1. God is transcended
2. God is not abiding my standards

Dont you think that's wanting a married bachelor?

I'm not sure where you think (2) is coming in: it is not "my standards" as to whether benevolence and causing suffering contradict; that is just a contradiction by any standard.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I'm not sure where you think (2) is coming in: it is not "my standards" as to whether benevolence and causing suffering contradict; that is just a contradiction by any standard.

I understand what you are saying. But that is what you take as "benevolent" which is a very common argument. Everyone knows this argument so honestly I am telling you I understand what you are saying.

But its an ontological issue. God is transcended. Thats an ontological principle. Thus, people suffering does not negate Gods benevolence because he is transcended.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I understand what you are saying. But that is what you take as "benevolent" which is a very common argument. Everyone knows this argument so honestly I am telling you I understand what you are saying.

But its an ontological issue. God is transcended. Thats an ontological principle. Thus, people suffering does not negate Gods benevolence because he is transcended.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, then this is handled in the OP. This is the special pleading problem that leads to the epistemic trap.

If it is argued that we can't take inflicting suffering without an explicit explanation as evidence of malevolence (because maybe the suffering was inflicted for a good but hidden reason), then that trap can never be climbed out of, and it can "explain" anything (which is to say that it explains nothing). God could literally do anything, including melting babies in front of their mothers while laughing maniacally in some incarnate form, and the believer of this theodicy could still explain it away by saying "God has a good reason for it, we just can't understand it."

It's special pleading, so it's fallacious; but worse, the fact that literally no evidence would ever change our minds about it once we accept the "reasoning" makes it even more problematic.

This is why it's reasonable to take evidence of malevolence as exactly that (evidence of malevolence) until some justification is forthcoming. We would not be reasonable to accept an explanation that's unknowable and can never be escaped once accepted. (It's sometimes OK to say something is beyond our knowledge, but in the special case where we can never stop doing this, that's the problem area).

F1fan

Veteran Member
Going back to the simple example: saying that Tom can't both be married and be a bachelor at the same time is not an appeal that Tom should be married or should be a bachelor. It is sheerly about the logic.
What I'm seeing that is frustrating is how certain definitions are manipulated in such a way to force the "reasonability" of a position or claim. For example if I want to claim Tom can be both married and a bachelor I might say, well Tom has an open marriage, and Tom gets to date other women and act as if he's not married, therefore he's both. The precise definitions are being abandoned for an alternative to make a contrary scenario plausible and justified as true. It's disingenuous and to my mind is an admission that the person knows they can't be correct with the operating definitions and have to commit intellectual fraud. I see this when I see the excuse for God creating a world that includes Leukemia and Hitler that there may be some purpose that is good that we don't know about. So "good" has no definitive meaning, and to hell with everything. It also means we humans can't follow a God and have any agreed upon pragmatic, moral standard.

If God sets the absolute standard and that includes children dying from genetic defects then who's to say hijacking passenger planes and using them as weapons is bad? Not any atheist heathen. If the believer is tapped into God and follows moral absolutes that we infidels can't understand then who are we to challenge them? Reason lacks God's knowledge. They are the Messenger from God. Cookies for breakfast. Cake for lunch. Ice cream for dinner.

At what point does the human experience, our language, our social contract, our basic moral standards, etc. get respect if a believer says their God wants something else?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Why is God emotional? Anthropomorphism at work here, perhaps?

And is "God being transcended and beyond our capacity" just a way for theists to conceal their non-existent God? Possible? The Boogeyman is behind that bush, but I cannot see him, but you know he's there in some way you can't explain.

If God's emotions do not compute then the Christians who oppose abortion because it's immoral are not representing God's values, just their own?

Since God is beyond out capacity, and might as well not exist, and we can't know what God's emotions are, while we are fully aware of our own, why would God have any relevance to us? According to you all we mere mortals have to work with in life is our own emotions. If we get into arguments about what God's emotions might be we will be frustrated and in gridlock. We are better off just ignoring any reference to Gods and whatever emotions they might have, and work to set secular solutions for the sake of social efficiency.

No, the contradiction is manipulating the definitions. Now why would a person want to do that? Feeling the sting of cognitive dissonance?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
(a) God does not CAUSE suffering because God does not deliberately inflict suffering upon people.
(e.g. a car manufacturer does not cause car accidents by manufacturing cars that have the potential to get in a car accident.)

(b) The EXISTENCE of Suffering and God's Benevolence are not contradictory by ANY standard, they are are only contradictory by YOUR standard (and by the standard of people who think like you).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't think that atheists understand what it means for God to be transcended. In short, it means humans cannot understand the mind of God and why God wills what He wills. I offer the following passage about God's transcendence:

“Praise be to God, the All-Possessing, the King of incomparable glory, a praise which is immeasurably above the understanding of all created things, and is exalted beyond the grasp of the minds of men. None else besides Him hath ever been able to sing adequately His praise, nor will any man succeed at any time in describing the full measure of His glory. Who is it that can claim to have attained the heights of His exalted Essence, and what mind can measure the depths of His unfathomable mystery? From each and every revelation emanating from the Source of His glory, holy and never-ending evidences of unimaginable splendor have appeared, and out of every manifestation of His invincible power oceans of eternal light have outpoured. How immensely exalted are the wondrous testimonies of His almighty sovereignty, a glimmer of which, if it but touched them, would utterly consume all that are in the heavens and in the earth! How indescribably lofty are the tokens of His consummate power, a single sign of which, however inconsiderable, must transcend the comprehension of whatsoever hath, from the beginning that hath no beginning, been brought into being, or will be created in the future till the end that hath no end. All the Embodiments of His Names wander in the wilderness of search, athirst and eager to discover His Essence, and all the Manifestations of His Attributes implore Him, from the Sinai of Holiness, to unravel His mystery.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 60-61

But I do not think that is the issue here. I think the issue is that some atheists think the existence of suffering means God is responsible (caused it) because (a) God created a world in which suffering exists, and (b) God does not prevent suffering (even though allegedly God could prevent suffering since God is omnipotent.)

In other words, these atheists think that God could have/should have created a world in which suffering does not exist since God is omnipotent and omniscient, and since God did not do that they think that means God is not benevolent because they think a benevolent God would not create a world that has suffering in it. Where this argument falls flat on it's face in is in "assuming" that suffering is never beneficial to humans because the evidence shows that suffering can be very beneficial to humans.

The Role of Suffering

by Tal Ben-Shahar

While it is part of our universal nature to seek pleasure and avoid pain, culture plays a central role in how we deal with suffering. In the West, we generally reject suffering. We see it as an unwelcome interruption of our pursuit of happiness. So we fight it, repress it, medicate it, or search for quick-fix solutions to get rid of it. In some cultures, especially in the East, suffering is acknowledged for the important role it plays in people’s lives, in the meandering path toward enlightenment. While I have yet to be convinced that it is possible to reach a stat of enlightenment or nirvana—a state of perfect and permanent inner peace—there is much we can learn from the Buddhist approach to life’s impermanence and imperfections, defeats and disappointments.

The Tibetan monk Khenchen Konchog Gyaltshen Rinpoche discusses four benefits of suffering: wisdom, resilience, compassion, and a deep respect for reality.

Wisdom emerges from the experience of suffering. When things go well, we rarely stop to ask questions about our lives. A difficult situation, however, often forces us out of our mindless state, causing us to reflect on our experiences. To be able to see deeply, to develop what King Solomon referred to as a wise heart, we must brave the eye of the storm.

Nietzsche, a wise man himself, famously remarked that what does not kill us, makes us stronger. Suffering can make us more resilient, better able to endure hardships. Just as a muscle, in order to build up, must endure some pain, so our emotions must endure pain in order to strengthen. Helen Keller, who in her lifetime knew much suffering, as well as joy, noted that “character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.”

Everybody hurts sometimes, and allowing ourselves to feel this universal emotion links us together in a web of compassion. The dictionary defines compassion as a “deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it,” but the only way we can gain a deep awareness of the suffering of others is by having suffered ourselves. A theoretical understanding of suffering is as meaningless as a theoretical description of the color blue to a blind person. To know it, we need to experience it. As Pastor Fritz Williams notes, “Suffering and joy teach us, if we allow them, how to make the leap of empathy, which transports us into the soul and heart of another person. In those transparent moments we know other people’s joys and sorrows, and we care about their concerns as if they were our own.”

One of the most significant benefits of suffering is that it breeds a deep respect for reality, for what is. While the experience of joy connects us to the realm of infinite possibilities, the experience of pain reminds us of our limitations. When, despite all our effort, we get hurt, we are humbled by constraints that we sometimes fail to notice when we’re flying high. It seems to me more than symbolic that when in ecstasy we often lift our head up, to the heavens, to the infinite, and when in agony, we tend to cast our gaze down to earth, to the finite.

Rabbi Bunim of Pshischa says that we all need to walk around with two slips of paper in our pockets: the first slip with the Talmudic words “for my sake the world was created” and the second slip with the words from Genesis “I am but dust and ashes.” The healthy psychological state resides somewhere in between the two messages, somewhere between hubris and humility. In the same way that the synthesis between hubris and humility breeds psychological health, combining ecstasy and agony establishes a healthy relationship with reality.

Ecstasy makes me feel invincible: it makes me feel that I am the master of my destiny, that I create my reality. But agony is likely to make me feel vulnerable and humbled: it makes me feel that I am the servant of my circumstances, that I have little control over my reality. Ecstasy alone leads to detached arrogance; suffering alone engenders resignation. Life’s vicissitudes bring us closer to Aristotle’s golden mean.

A deep respect for reality implies an acceptance of what is—of our potential, our limitation, and our humanity. Recognizing that suffering is integral to our lives and that there are other benefits to pain, such as the cultivation of wisdom and compassion, we become more accepting of our suffering. And when we truly accept grief and sorrow as inevitable, we actually suffer less.

Nathaniel Branden refers to self-esteem—for which self-acceptance is central—as the immune system of consciousness. A strong immune system does not mean that we do not get sick but rather that we get sick less often and that, when we do get sick, we recover faster. Similarly, suffering is unlikely to ever go away completely, but as the immune system of our consciousness strengthens, we suffer less often, and when we do, our recovery is more rapid.

The fact that suffering yields benefits does not imply that we ought to seek it actively—just as the fact that sickness actually strengthens our immune system does not imply that we need to look for opportunities to become sick. We naturally seek pleasure in our lives and try to minimize the amount of pain we endure. The imperfect and impermanent world provides us ample opportunities, without us actively looking for them, to fortify our immune system.

The first of the Buddha’s Four Noble Truths is the truth of suffering—a truth we can either reject or accept as an inevitable part of being human. And when we learn to accept, even embrace, difficult experiences, our suffering becomes a tool, an instrument, for growth.

This post is excerpted from “Being Happy: You Don’t Have to Be Perfect to Lead a Richer, Happier Life”, by Tal Ben-Shahar, PhD.

Learn how to strengthen your capacity for resilience from Maria Sirois in her course, The Resilient Quest (When Life Strikes Hard).

The Role of Suffering | Wholebeing Institute

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't think that atheists understand what it means for God to be transcended. In short, it means humans cannot understand the mind of God and why God wills what He wills. I offer the following passage about God's transcendence:

“Praise be to God, the All-Possessing, the King of incomparable glory, a praise which is immeasurably above the understanding of all created things, and is exalted beyond the grasp of the minds of men. None else besides Him hath ever been able to sing adequately His praise, nor will any man succeed at any time in describing the full measure of His glory. Who is it that can claim to have attained the heights of His exalted Essence, and what mind can measure the depths of His unfathomable mystery? From each and every revelation emanating from the Source of His glory, holy and never-ending evidences of unimaginable splendor have appeared, and out of every manifestation of His invincible power oceans of eternal light have outpoured. How immensely exalted are the wondrous testimonies of His almighty sovereignty, a glimmer of which, if it but touched them, would utterly consume all that are in the heavens and in the earth! How indescribably lofty are the tokens of His consummate power, a single sign of which, however inconsiderable, must transcend the comprehension of whatsoever hath, from the beginning that hath no beginning, been brought into being, or will be created in the future till the end that hath no end. All the Embodiments of His Names wander in the wilderness of search, athirst and eager to discover His Essence, and all the Manifestations of His Attributes implore Him, from the Sinai of Holiness, to unravel His mystery.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 60-61

But I do not think that is the issue here. I think the issue is that some atheists think the existence of suffering means God is responsible (caused it) because (a) God created a world in which suffering exists, and (b) God does not prevent suffering (even though allegedly God could prevent suffering since God is omnipotent.)

In other words, these atheists think that God could have/should have created a world in which suffering does not exist since God is omnipotent and omniscient, and since God did not do that they think that means God is not benevolent because they think a benevolent God would not create a world that has suffering in it. Where this argument falls flat on it's face in is in "assuming" that suffering is never beneficial to humans because the evidence shows that suffering can be very beneficial to humans.

The Role of Suffering

by Tal Ben-Shahar

While it is part of our universal nature to seek pleasure and avoid pain, culture plays a central role in how we deal with suffering. In the West, we generally reject suffering. We see it as an unwelcome interruption of our pursuit of happiness. So we fight it, repress it, medicate it, or search for quick-fix solutions to get rid of it. In some cultures, especially in the East, suffering is acknowledged for the important role it plays in people’s lives, in the meandering path toward enlightenment. While I have yet to be convinced that it is possible to reach a stat of enlightenment or nirvana—a state of perfect and permanent inner peace—there is much we can learn from the Buddhist approach to life’s impermanence and imperfections, defeats and disappointments.

The Tibetan monk Khenchen Konchog Gyaltshen Rinpoche discusses four benefits of suffering: wisdom, resilience, compassion, and a deep respect for reality.

Wisdom emerges from the experience of suffering. When things go well, we rarely stop to ask questions about our lives. A difficult situation, however, often forces us out of our mindless state, causing us to reflect on our experiences. To be able to see deeply, to develop what King Solomon referred to as a wise heart, we must brave the eye of the storm.

Nietzsche, a wise man himself, famously remarked that what does not kill us, makes us stronger. Suffering can make us more resilient, better able to endure hardships. Just as a muscle, in order to build up, must endure some pain, so our emotions must endure pain in order to strengthen. Helen Keller, who in her lifetime knew much suffering, as well as joy, noted that “character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.”

Everybody hurts sometimes, and allowing ourselves to feel this universal emotion links us together in a web of compassion. The dictionary defines compassion as a “deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it,” but the only way we can gain a deep awareness of the suffering of others is by having suffered ourselves. A theoretical understanding of suffering is as meaningless as a theoretical description of the color blue to a blind person. To know it, we need to experience it. As Pastor Fritz Williams notes, “Suffering and joy teach us, if we allow them, how to make the leap of empathy, which transports us into the soul and heart of another person. In those transparent moments we know other people’s joys and sorrows, and we care about their concerns as if they were our own.”

One of the most significant benefits of suffering is that it breeds a deep respect for reality, for what is. While the experience of joy connects us to the realm of infinite possibilities, the experience of pain reminds us of our limitations. When, despite all our effort, we get hurt, we are humbled by constraints that we sometimes fail to notice when we’re flying high. It seems to me more than symbolic that when in ecstasy we often lift our head up, to the heavens, to the infinite, and when in agony, we tend to cast our gaze down to earth, to the finite.

Rabbi Bunim of Pshischa says that we all need to walk around with two slips of paper in our pockets: the first slip with the Talmudic words “for my sake the world was created” and the second slip with the words from Genesis “I am but dust and ashes.” The healthy psychological state resides somewhere in between the two messages, somewhere between hubris and humility. In the same way that the synthesis between hubris and humility breeds psychological health, combining ecstasy and agony establishes a healthy relationship with reality.

Ecstasy makes me feel invincible: it makes me feel that I am the master of my destiny, that I create my reality. But agony is likely to make me feel vulnerable and humbled: it makes me feel that I am the servant of my circumstances, that I have little control over my reality. Ecstasy alone leads to detached arrogance; suffering alone engenders resignation. Life’s vicissitudes bring us closer to Aristotle’s golden mean.

A deep respect for reality implies an acceptance of what is—of our potential, our limitation, and our humanity. Recognizing that suffering is integral to our lives and that there are other benefits to pain, such as the cultivation of wisdom and compassion, we become more accepting of our suffering. And when we truly accept grief and sorrow as inevitable, we actually suffer less.

Nathaniel Branden refers to self-esteem—for which self-acceptance is central—as the immune system of consciousness. A strong immune system does not mean that we do not get sick but rather that we get sick less often and that, when we do get sick, we recover faster. Similarly, suffering is unlikely to ever go away completely, but as the immune system of our consciousness strengthens, we suffer less often, and when we do, our recovery is more rapid.

The fact that suffering yields benefits does not imply that we ought to seek it actively—just as the fact that sickness actually strengthens our immune system does not imply that we need to look for opportunities to become sick. We naturally seek pleasure in our lives and try to minimize the amount of pain we endure. The imperfect and impermanent world provides us ample opportunities, without us actively looking for them, to fortify our immune system.

The first of the Buddha’s Four Noble Truths is the truth of suffering—a truth we can either reject or accept as an inevitable part of being human. And when we learn to accept, even embrace, difficult experiences, our suffering becomes a tool, an instrument, for growth.

This post is excerpted from “Being Happy: You Don’t Have to Be Perfect to Lead a Richer, Happier Life”, by Tal Ben-Shahar, PhD.

Learn how to strengthen your capacity for resilience from Maria Sirois in her course, The Resilient Quest (When Life Strikes Hard).

The Role of Suffering | Wholebeing Institute

Great article. I really like the motivational factor. But these are motivational pieces, and to me its too superficial and cliche.

Dont take offence. I will explain why.

Do you know that "four noble truths" of the Buddha is arya sachcha which is translated "noble truths". Sachcha means truth. Its all good. But do you know what Arya means? Can you tell me in your understanding how Arya meant noble?

Ponder over it and see if you get something from it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Do you know that "four noble truths" of the Buddha is arya sachcha which is translated "noble truths". Sachcha means truth. Its all good. But do you know what Arya means? Can you tell me in your understanding how Arya meant noble?
No, I don't know. Can you explain it in a nutshell?