• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Special Pleading and the Problem of Evil

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I asked if it's safe to say you don't understand the mind of God. So do you understand it, or not?

And if you don’t, couldn’t God be malevolent since you lack knowledge of the mind of God?
I answered that the workings of the mind of God are unrelated to God's attributes and what God wills for humans.
God's attributes and what God wills for humans tells us whether God is benevolent or malevolent.
In short, the how mind of God functions does not tell us anything about God's qualities.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
With (a), God is incapable of being culpable of anything at all because God is infallible thus God cannot make any mistakes or be wrong.

Infallibility refers to an inability to be wrong. It can be applied within a specific domain, or it can be used as a more general adjective. The term has significance in both epistemology and theology, and its meaning and significance in both fields is the subject of continued debate.
Infallibility - Wikipedia

A malevolent being can be infallible. It just means that the being does not make mistakes. This does not help your case at all. "Not making mistakes" is already implied by omnipotence and omniscience, by the way (which begins to address your point below about "cherry picking.") Some attributes are derived attributes, meaning they stem as logical consequences of other attributes. If a being is omnipotent and omniscient, it is by definition infallible also: no need to explicitly say so when one is keeping an argument brief for digestion.

With (b) The EXISTENCE of Suffering and God's Benevolence are only contradictory by YOUR standard but you do not determine standards for anyone except yourself.

You deliberately ignore the following:

(a) Suffering is often beneficial to humans, and
(b) God is infallible so God can never be wrong or make any mistakes, and
(c) God has more attributes than omnipotence and omniscience.

The problem with point (a) is that suffering is a means to an end for finite beings: if I want to increase my immunity to COVID-19, then I have to get stabbed by a needle because I am finite and not omnipotent, so I must suffer the needle. However an omnipotent and omniscient being doesn't need to use suffering as a means to an end; the omnipotent/omniscient being can just get straight to the end.

Secondly, regarding (a), most of the benefit humans get from suffering is just to avoid more suffering. For instance, I benefit from touching a hot burner by knowing in the future not to do that. However if the burner could never harm me in the first place (ever), then there is never any benefit to having to learn that lesson. This does not really excuse the existence of suffering.

Third, regarding (a), there are many forms of suffering that are terminal, where a person can't even learn anything from it. This is another reason why childhood leukemia was given as a relevant example. A person doesn't learn anything by suffering excruciatingly and then just dying; yet we see plenty of this in the actual world. The argument of (a) does not excuse this suffering either.

Regarding (b), this is addressed at the top of this post. Infallibility does not mean omnibenevolence. A being that is not omnibenevolent could still infallibly choose to create the conditions for leukemia, and mean to do so (it's not a mistake), and still not be benevolent for doing so. This argument doesn't do for you what you think it does for you.

Regarding (c), as I've said, many attributes are derived attributes; or otherwise they are irrelevant for the argument. Nothing I'm doing is either the fallacy of special pleading or cherry picking. Calling out fallacies incorrectly is itself a fallacy (it's basically ignoratio elenchi).

F1fan

Veteran Member
I answered that the workings of the mind of God are unrelated to God's attributes and what God wills for humans.
God's attributes and what God wills for humans tells us whether God is benevolent or malevolent.
In short, the how mind of God functions does not tell us anything about God's qualities.
I am asking about you, not a God.

Do you understand the mind of God?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Wait, you said that God used evolution to create humans, and after 13.7 billions years after creating the universe (want to have fun with dinosaurs first, and want to take your time and make sure the genes of humans are excellent quality).

I know you won't accept that the Creator is responsible for bipolar disorder being part of Creation, but it is. God has caused all pain and suffering by simply creating.
None of this is factual. I'm not quite sure why keep making these absurd claims and do so without offering any shred of evidence. It's as if you think you are God yourself, and what you say is absolute and fact.

Can you admit these claims you make have no evidence that is substantive?[

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yet you claim that God knows HOW it will unfold. So God is not surprised to learn that cancers evolved in the genes, God knew cancers would exist as it created the world.
Yes, because God knows everything, but God's knowledge is not the cause of anything that exists.

“Every act ye meditate is as clear to Him as is that act when already accomplished. There is none other God besides Him. His is all creation and its empire. All stands revealed before Him; all is recorded in His holy and hidden Tablets. This fore-knowledge of God, however, should not be regarded as having caused the actions of men, just as your own previous knowledge that a certain event is to occur, or your desire that it should happen, is not and can never be the reason for its occurrence.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 150

In science you are correct. But in your framework there's a creator who knows all. So there's blame.
God knows everything, but God's knowledge is not the cause of anything that exists.
I'm an atheist. I'm not convinced your idea of God is true, rational, or even plausible. To my mind you've defined and described your idea of God out of existence.
Because you don't like what you imagine God does, you want a God who will do what you want. Have fun with your create-a-god.
The evidence you have presented me is exceptionally weak and unimpressive. If your evidence was so good we would be seeing billions accepting it. We don't.
No, very few people ever see the evidence for the new Messenger of God for a long time after He appears.
Below are the seven logical reasons why we do not see billions accepting it.

1. Many people have never heard of the Baha’i Faith, so they do not know there is something to look for. It is the responsibility of the Baha’is to get the message out, so if that is not happening, the Baha’is are to blame. However, there are so few Baha’is and they are busy building the New World Order, and there is only so much time, so they can only do so much.

2. But even after people know about the Baha’i Faith, most people are not even willing to look the evidence in order to determine if it is true or not.

3. Even if they are willing to look at the evidence, there is a lot of prejudice before even getting out the door to look at the evidence.

4. 84% of people in the world already have a religion and they are happy with their religion so they have no interest in a “new religion.”

5. The rest of the world’s population is agnostics or atheists or believers who are prejudiced against all religion.

6. Agnostics or atheists and atheists and believers who have no religion either do not believe that God communicates via Messengers or they find fault with the Messenger, Baha’u’llah.

7. Baha’u’llah brought new teachings and laws that are very different from the older religions so many people are suspicious of those teachings and/or don’t like the laws because some laws require them to give things up that they like doing.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So it wasn't a mistake that God's created world ends up with cancers? God knew cancers would develop.
God cannot make mistakes because God is infallible:

infallible
incapable of making mistakes or being wrong.
infallible means - Google Search

As God's Representative for this age, Baha'u'llah is also infallible, according to Baha'i beliefs.

“We can well perceive how the whole human race is encompassed with great, with incalculable afflictions. We see it languishing on its bed of sickness, sore-tried and disillusioned. They that are intoxicated by self-conceit have interposed themselves between it and the Divine and infallible Physician. Witness how they have entangled all men, themselves included, in the mesh of their devices. They can neither discover the cause of the disease, nor have they any knowledge of the remedy. They have conceived the straight to be crooked, and have imagined their friend an enemy.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 213

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yi5es, because God knows everything, but God's knowledge is not the cause of anything that exists.
So God created the world AND it knew that part of what it was creating would include cancers that kill children, YET somehow the God didn't cause the cancers to develop even though this same God created this world with these mechanisms with this future that it knew would happen?

God knows everything, but God's knowledge is not the cause of anything that exists.
ONLY when the God is NOT also the Creator. The Creator is accountable for the entirety of the creation.

Because you don't like what you imagine God does, you want a God who will do what you want. Have fun with your create-a-god.
I'm following your beliefs/claims of God. And I'm contrasting your beliefs/claims with reality and there are serious flaws with your idea of God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
A malevolent being can be infallible. It just means that the being does not make mistakes.
That means that whatever you see that you don't like in the creation (e.g., cancer) cannot be a mistake even if you think it is. Everything is as it should be, whether you like it or not. Mature people accept reality.
However an omnipotent and omniscient being doesn't need to use suffering as a means to an end; the omnipotent/omniscient being can just get straight to the end.
God could create people with ready-made spiritual attributes so they won't have to acquire them by suffering.
The hundred-dollar question is why should God eliminate suffering just because you don't like suffering.
A being that is not omnibenevolent could still infallibly choose to create the conditions for leukemia, and mean to do so (it's not a mistake), and still not be benevolent for doing so. This argument doesn't do for you what you think it does for you.
A being that is omnibenevolent could still infallibly choose to create the conditions for leukemia, and mean to do so (it's not a mistake), and still be benevolent for doing so. This argument doesn't do for you what you think it does for you.

Everything you present is a personal opinion. By stark contrast, what I have is based upon scriptures of many different religions. No religion teaches that God is malevolent. You think you can prove God is malevolent with your logic, but you haven't proven anything except that you have a chip on your shoulder. I used to have the same chip so I can recognize it, but I worked long and hard to get rid of it because I knew I was wrong. It was only my ego telling me I was right.

TRIALS A GIFT FROM GOD

“Thou hast written concerning the tests that have come upon thee. To the sincere ones, tests are as a gift from God, the Exalted, for a heroic person hasteneth, with the utmost joy and gladness, to the tests of a violent battlefield, but the coward is afraid and trembles and utters moaning and lamentation. Likewise, an expert student prepareth and memorizeth his lessons and exercises with the utmost effort, and in the day of examination he appeareth with infinite joy before the master. Likewise, the pure gold shineth radiantly in the fire of test. Consequently, it is made clear that for holy souls, trials are as the gift of God, the Exalted; but for weak souls they are an unexpected calamity. This test is just as thou hast written: it removeth the rust of egotism from the mirror of the heart until the Sun of Truth may shine therein. For, no veil is greater than egotism and no matter 372 how thin that covering may be, yet it will finally veil man entirely and prevent him from receiving a portion from the eternal bounty.”

Bahá’í World Faith, pp. 371-372

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And now you speak for God and know that He made a deliberate choice? It was not a deliberate choice by God, it was what happened as humans evolved. God did not say "Now I am going to include leukemia just so children will suffer." The benevolent God would not do that.
It sounds like you're saying that God was incompetent or negligent instead of wilfully evil. Is that it?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
"Do you understand the mind of God?"

So could you be mistaken in what you think God is?
I could not be mistaken unless the Bible and the Qur'an and the Writings of Baha'u'llah are all mistaken about the character of God. It is much more likely that you and Meow Mix are mistaken because you have created a god that does not exist, an imaginary god.
What if he is a fraud?
I have eliminated any possibility of that by doing my homework.
II know how to do homework because I spent 20 years in college.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I could not be mistaken unless the Bible and the Qur'an and the Writings of Baha'u'llah are all mistaken about the character of God.
Have you decided the Bible, Qu'ran, and Baha'u'llah are accurate, reliable, and true, even though you are fallible mortal who makes mistakes?

It is much more likely that you and Meow Mix are mistaken because you have created a god that does not exist, an imaginary god.
What if we are correct?

I have eliminated any possibility of that by doing my homework.
II know how to do homework because I spent 20 years in college.
What if you are just telling yourself that you are certain, and Baha'u'llah is a fraud?