• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking of Eating

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Can anyone that cooks and/or is familiar with the distinctions and usages of various types of common rices give me a breakdown?

I typically cook calrose rise. And I have a passing familiarity with jasmine. But I also know there's basmati, brown, black, wild, red, arborio. And probably too many more that I've never heard of.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
These types of rice are currently in my pantry:
  • Calrose--good for making sushi as well as serving with teriyaki or anything you eat with chopsticks. Also good for rice pudding.
  • Basmati--good with curries
  • Idly (a short grain rice that doesn't stick together when you cook it)--makes excellent fried rice
  • Jasmine--very aromatic
  • Matta (red)--wash it well! Presoak it and use 3 parts of water to 1 part rice when you cook it.
  • Black (purple) sweet rice--makes good bean and rice burgers
  • Thai glutenous rice--cheaper than using arborio rice for risotto
  • Brown Sona Masoori rice--kinda bland for a brown rice
  • Plain American long-grain rice--general purpose--soups, etc
I find myself using a lot of Idly rice lately just so I can make it into fried rice.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Common long grain white rice for general use/fried rice.
Common short grain white rice for rice pudding.
Basmati i use for Indian
Jasmine for Thai
And 3 rice mix, white, brown, wild (which is not rice but a grass seed) again for general use.
When cooking rice as a separate, i e to replace potatoes etc i always break a stock cube into the water.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Can anyone that cooks and/or is familiar with the distinctions and usages of various types of common rices give me a breakdown?

I typically cook calrose rise. And I have a passing familiarity with jasmine. But I also know there's basmati, brown, black, wild, red, arborio. And probably too many more that I've never heard of.
I too am a fan of basmati rice. I has a definite aroma and flavour. But for risotto, arborio is better as you want some of the starch to come out and make it gooey with the stock, butter and parmesan. I used to use jasmine rice to go with stir-fries, b ut actually I use basmati for that too now, as it saves on space in the cupboard.

Incidentally, you can make a good risotto with pearl barley. It works well and has a distinctive firmer texture, but the cooking time is double that for rice, as it absorbs liquid more slowly.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I can still get wild rice for $5.00 a pound. I love the stuff, though I am alone in my house when it comes to that. It is cooked a bit different than white rice. It is always a whole grain so it will take longer than regular rice. It also is a bit sturdier. So I cook it until tender in a four to one water to grain ratio and (gasp!) use a colander when done. For regular rice I finally listened to Uncle Roger and use feeling. Put enough rice in the pot. Wash it really well, and then add water until it comes to the first knuckle of my index finger. No more wet rice.

For Mexican rice, which is almost a risotto I use a different technique.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I can still get wild rice for $5.00 a pound. I love the stuff, though I am alone in my house when it comes to that. It is cooked a bit different than white rice. It is always a whole grain so it will take longer than regular rice. It also is a bit sturdier. So I cook it until tender in a four to one water to grain ratio and (gasp!) use a colander when done. For regular rice I finally listened to Uncle Roger and use feeling. Put enough rice in the pot. Wash it really well, and then add water until it comes to the first knuckle of my index finger. No more wet rice.

For Mexican rice, which is almost a risotto I use a different technique.
INFORMATIVE

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My Mexican rice, which I adapted from what my Costa Rican sister in law taught me. Take a cup and a half of white rice. Do not wash. Place dry into a heavy skillet with a couple of tablespoons of oil. I usually use EVOO. Turn on the heat to medium. Toast rice until golden brown. (does that make this Mexican fried rice?). Add a chopped onion. Cook continue to stir and fry until translucent. Add three cloves of minced garlic, cook for another minute. Add finely chopped tomatoes. Two or three Roma, or equal amounts of any kind. Cook another two or three minutes. Add two cups chicken or vegetable broth, or a stock cube. If you have annatto you can add some of that for a nice reddish hue. Some cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low until moisture is absorbed and the rice is tender. Garnish with chopped cilantro. That is fresh coriander for the Brits.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I can still get wild rice for $5.00 a pound.
Oh ya!

My wife & I had a place in the U.P. where my ancestry is mostly from, and I went to get my wild rice on a couple of the reservations there. When cooking it, I always mix it with whole grain brown rice because they cook similarly.

Now all I need is some fry bread from the res! :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh ya!

My wife & I had a place in the U.P. where my ancestry is mostly from, and I went to get my wild rice on a couple of the reservations there. When cooking it, I always mix it with whole grain brown rice because they cook similarly.

Now all I need is some fry bread from the res! :)
My housemate is Native, but she is not much of a cook... She has made fry bread two or three times. But usually from frozen bread dough. So not as authentic as it should be. I grew up in Minnesota, wild rice is more than just Native cuisine there.