• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in Tongues- Part of Christianity or Just Silly?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Glossolalia or speaking in tongues is the fluid vocalizing (or, less commonly, the writing) of speech-like syllables, often as part of religious practice. Though some consider these utterances to be meaningless, those that use them consider them to be part of a holy language.

Many Christians called Pentecostals claim that speaking in tongues is very real and a part of the church today. Many others claim that this gift was only for the earliest church and has ceased.

People who make an argument for tongues usually use the following from the church fathers:

This is He who places prophets in the Church, instructs teachers, directs tongues, gives powers and healings, does wonderful works, often discrimination of spirits, affords powers of government, suggests counsels, and orders and arranges whatever other gifts there are of charismata; and thus make the Lord’s Church everywhere, and in all, perfected and completed.- Novatian of Rome

For God hath set same in the Church, first apostles…secondly prophets…thirdly teachers…next mighty works, among which are the healing of diseases… and gifts of either speaking or interpreting divers kinds of tongues. Clearly these are the Church’s agents of ministry and work of whom the body of Christ consists; and God has ordained them.- Hilary of Poitiers

In like manner we do also hear many brethren in the Church, who possess prophetic gifts, and who through the Spirit speak all kinds of languages, and bring to light for the general benefit the hidden things of men, and declare the mysteries of God.- Iranaeus

So what think you? Are tongues part of Christianity? Do they have any place in modern Christianity, or did they cease after the early centuries?

Masourga

I would question whether or not it serves any purpose to pseudo-prove/disprove that it is actually God's influence, and therefore whether it has a place in the church or not. That is, whether or not it has merit/value or is just a bunch of nonsense.

I've witnessed it first-hand, and I have to say that it serves no actual purpose whatsoever. The people who do it stand up, say a bunch of nothing, that no one understands, and sit back down after they play out a little eyes-closed, "taken by the spirit" drama. No one else in the entire congregation appears to take anything from it, save a sense of bewilderment/confusion.

In the end, I suppose I would simply ask, if that is the way in which a God works (to speak nonsense through a random member of a church - knowing none of the others present understand), is it wrong to question His motives and/or competence? Not only does it not make sense, it would be a complete waste of time/power. Put it like this - if he uses His time/energy spawning insignificant events like this (speaking in tongues) and puts off things like answering prayers for healing from deathly illnesses - well, I just don't think that's someone I can justify rallying support for.

Rainbow Mage

I agree that it serves absolutely no purpose. From what I've observed it's a lot of emotionalism.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I think a better understanding of speaking in tongues is needed. First, I would say it is a part of certain sects of Christianities, and they do support what they are doing with scripture. Really, I have never heard any Christian back up speaking in tongues with what Early Church Fathers said.

Second, the main purpose of it is to pray to God in a voice that covers what is needed. It is a way to pray to God when one doesn't have the right words, or they can't really express themselves. Sometimes, it is used just to feel closer to God, or to allow one to mediate on God.

Third, others in a congregation can gain something from this. Along with speaking in tongues, there is the interpretation of tongues. This is where others are able to interpret what another individual is saying when they are speaking of tongues.

Now, I'm not saying it is authentic, but the individuals, for the most part, do believe it is authentic. It is part of being filled with the holy spirit, and allowing that to flow from oneself.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I agree that it serves absolutely no purpose. From what I've observed it's a lot of emotionalism.

Tongues serve a very real purpose just as the laying on of hands does. How would you know the difference when you are just an observer? I think your assessment of tongues is an emotional reaction instead of a willingness to comprehend.

Rainbow Mage

Tongues serve a very real purpose just as the laying on of hands does. How would you know the difference when you are just an observer? I think your assessment of tongues is an emotional reaction instead of a willingness to comprehend.

Does the New Testament say that the tongues were just babble, or was it actual languages?

RitalinO.D.

When I was younger, I attended a First Assembly of God church with a friend and his family for awhile. Just about every service some random person in the congregation would stand up and "Speak in Tongues". I have to say it was one of the more disturbing experiences Ive had in church. It also amazed me to see how many people believed it and the reaction that was gained from it.

I have to be honest, this on more than one occasion during the time I attended this church, made me think "This is friggin wierd, what the hell am I doing here".

Rainbow Mage

Yeah Ritalin I've even seen some people who speak in tongues who seem to think they can just initiate it and it's real tongues. Like that lady on Jesus Camp was trying to teach kids how to speak in tongues and she's all like: this is how you do it. Then she just launches into it LOL

outhouse

Atheistically
Its pathetic jibber jabber, the people really need their heads examined.

If I witnessed someone exposing that to my daughter, I cant post what I would do to said person or group.

its primitive and barbaric and that is the best thing I can say about it

strikeviperMKII

So what think you? Are tongues part of Christianity? Do they have any place in modern Christianity, or did they cease after the early centuries?

It's all gibberish to me. Though I don't really think its really about what they mean with the words(if they are words). I will say though, it takes a little bit of strength to get up in front of people to speak words they can understand, let alone ones that don't make any sense at all. Perhaps there's something to that part of it.

That's just my two cents.

outhouse

Atheistically
Perhaps there's something to that part of it.

there is something there. A good shrink could explain it.

I think it has to do with letting go and disconnecting yourself from everything known and putting your brain in a mode where you are the focal point of everything with no rhime or reason and then your simply in a feel mode with no social barriers.

who knows, there is a feeling there but its not divine in any sense

Ninez

Does the New Testament say that the tongues were just babble, or was it actual languages?

Acts 2:1-11 :

"Now while the day of the [festival of] Pentecost was in progress they were all together at the same place, and suddenly there occurred from heaven a noise just like that of a rushing stiff breeze, and it filled the whole house in which they were sitting. And tongues as if of fire became visible to them and were distributed about, and one sat upon each one of them, and they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak with different tongues, just as the spirit was granting them to make utterance. As it was, there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, reverent men, from every nation of those under heaven. So, when this sound occurred, the multitude came together and were bewildered, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. Indeed, they were astonished and began to wonder and say: “See here, all these who are speaking are Gal‧i‧le′ans, are they not? And yet how is it we are hearing, each one of us, his own language in which we were born? Par′thi‧ans and Medes and E′lam‧ites, and the inhabitants of Mes‧o‧po‧ta′mi‧a, and Ju‧de′a and Cap‧pa‧do′ci‧a, Pon′tus and the [district of] Asia, and Phryg′i‧a and Pam‧phyl′i‧a, Egypt and the parts of Lib′y‧a, which is toward Cy‧re′ne, and sojourners from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cre′tans and Arabians, we hear them speaking in our tongues about the magnificent things of God. . ."

Since the purpose of these sort of "miracles" was to prove Jesus' role as the messiah and since that's already been established, There is no need for God to prove the point by repeating such acts to every generation of people.

1 Corinthians 13:8-10:

"Love never fails. But whether there are [gifts of] prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with. For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with."

Rainbow Mage

I didn't need you to quote me a whole page of verses. I know what the Bible says about tongues. I was asking Muffled, but of course I know he won't answer me.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
What, it can't be both?

It sure is. Although to be fair, I know plenty of Christians that think its completely ridiculous.

That linguists have shown that it is nothing but noises that are derived from the language of the practitioner, assembled into strings that cannot possibly form language themselves, proves how silly the whole thing is. That Borat can emulate it just as convincingly as the real practitioners further indicates that.

But what do you expect from people that think the earth is a few thousand years old, evolution has no evidence to support it, and the greenhouse effect is just a lie. If their bible says its true or they can do it, no matter how ridiculous it is, its true and they can do it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Many Christians called Pentecostals claim that speaking in tongues is very real and a part of the church today. Many others claim that this gift was only for the earliest church and has ceased.

People who make an argument for tongues usually use the following from the church fathers:

This is He who places prophets in the Church, instructs teachers, directs tongues, gives powers and healings, does wonderful works, often discrimination of spirits, affords powers of government, suggests counsels, and orders and arranges whatever other gifts there are of charismata; and thus make the Lord’s Church everywhere, and in all, perfected and completed.- Novatian of Rome

For God hath set same in the Church, first apostles…secondly prophets…thirdly teachers…next mighty works, among which are the healing of diseases… and gifts of either speaking or interpreting divers kinds of tongues. Clearly these are the Church’s agents of ministry and work of whom the body of Christ consists; and God has ordained them.- Hilary of Poitiers
In like manner we do also hear many brethren in the Church, who possess prophetic gifts, and who through the Spirit speak all kinds of languages, and bring to light for the general benefit the hidden things of men, and declare the mysteries of God.- Iranaeus
Silly.....scary silly.