• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soybeans

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a few packs of dried soybeans in the back of the cupboard. Thought I'd get them out and use them over the last few days.

Overall, they're pretty good. They have a nutty taste I like. The downside was the cook time. I have never seen beans take that long to cook.

Have you ever eaten soybeans? What did you put them in? How did you like them?

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I have a few packs of dried soybeans in the back of the cupboard. Thought I'd get them out and use them over the last few days.

Overall, they're pretty good. They have a nutty taste I like. The downside was the cook time. I have never seen beans take that long to cook.

I don't remember eating soybeans but I do like hummus.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Dried beans are always tough for me. Mostly because I have to remember to rinse and soak them overnight prior to cooking lol. I've got bags of kidney, black and northern beans I keep forgetting to use.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I guess you could grind down just about any bean... it wouldn't be hummus, but it might be good anyways...

Those soybeans seem to have a bit of a crunch.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
www.thespruceeats.com › soybean-hummus-recipe-2355633Soybean Hummus Recipe - The Spruce Eats
May 27, 2021 · In a blender or food processor, blend soybeans, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, and salt until ...

Healthy Black Bean Hummus Recipe
For the purists among us, the word hummus does indeed come...

Eggplant Dip
Place the eggplant flesh in a medium bowl. Add the remaining...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Dried beans are always tough for me. Mostly because I have to remember to rinse and soak them overnight prior to cooking lol. I've got bags of kidney, black and northern beans I keep forgetting to use.
The older they get the tougher that they get. If I buy a fresh bag of black beans I just wash them and then start cooking. Done in an hour or two. My Costa Rican sister in law taught me how to make them Use lots of onions and garlic.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
www.thespruceeats.com › soybean-hummus-recipe-2355633Soybean Hummus Recipe - The Spruce Eats
May 27, 2021 · In a blender or food processor, blend soybeans, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, and salt until ...

Healthy Black Bean Hummus Recipe
For the purists among us, the word hummus does indeed come...

Eggplant Dip
Place the eggplant flesh in a medium bowl. Add the remaining...
Sounds pretty good!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember eating roast soybeans years and years ago. They were good and really cheap.

These days though I try to avoid everything with soy because I don't want to finance the Monsanto corporation (who owns 90% of the soybean market) and their shady business practices:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I remember eating roast soybeans years and years ago. They were good and really cheap.

These days though I try to avoid everything with soy because I don't want to finance the Monsanto corporation (who owns 90% of the soybean market) and their shady business practices:

I remember eating dried soybeans as a kid. Yum!

Monsanto's awful. :(

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

I've only had edamame (young soybeans while they're still tender and green). Other than that, I've only had soy in the form of soy milk, soy sauce, and pre-made tofu.

Perhaps you could make some tofu or dry roast them? You could probably find a ton of recipes on youtube.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've only had edamame (young soybeans while they're still tender and green). Other than that, I've only had soy in the form of soy milk, soy sauce, and pre-made tofu.

Perhaps you could make some tofu or dry roast them? You could probably find a ton of recipes on youtube.
You're just the person I've been looking for. I recently bought some frozen edamame beans when the supermarket was out of frozen broad beans. But I found they taste of absolutely nothing. I've been slowly working them off, by blending with peas and some broad beans I was able to find subsequently.

Do you know of any way to use these that adds anything positive to a dish?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I've had'm BBQ's, roasted, & processed into
various Chinese food-like products. I like'm.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I never had soybeans but I'm not ruling it out that I'd never eat them. Just never think about getting them from the local grocery store.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
You're just the person I've been looking for. I recently bought some frozen edamame beans when the supermarket was out of frozen broad beans. But I found they taste of absolutely nothing. I've been slowly working them off, by blending with peas and some broad beans I was able to find subsequently.

Do you know of any way to use these that adds anything positive to a dish?
Mostly I simply add sea salt and eat them as a snack. Sometimes I'll also add some cracked black pepper and a dash of cayenne.

But yes, they're mild in flavor (obviously, i.e., tofu) so you can add them to pretty much anything. If you like heat, you could mix them in a spicy chili garlic sauce or marinate them; maybe add them to a teriyaki dish.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I never had soybeans but I'm not ruling it out that I'd never eat them. Just never think about getting them from the local grocery store.
I don't think I've ever seen them in a typical grocery store. The ones I bought were from an Asian market, and the crunchy snack variety I had as a kid came from a health market.