• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Baptist Convention says "no" to women pastors

Are women as capable of offering spiritual guidance and wisdom as men?

• Yes, of course.

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • No, the Bible makes that clear.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and the Bible is just plain wrong,

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • A woman's place is in the home.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Only after their husband has explained it to them.

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Women are extremely capable - show me one competent male, and I can show you 10 even more competent women, and visa versa. This, goes without saying. But, as children must obey their parents, and civilians the government, man is the head of the household and wherever leadership is required.
Of course, when the leader is imposing any type of illegal or immoral activity upon his subjects, they have the right to revolt in any peaceful manner that allows them to avoid the imposition of the ruler.
What if she is divorced, widowed or never married?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
God defined science, your just acknowledging , unwittingly, His power and wisdom.
Funny -- you say "God defined science," and yet you couldn't find the simplest science formula in the scripture you so admire. Not even the simplest! Hell, it couldn't get the relationship of the diameter to the circumference of a circle right. So if Scripture is all you read, science will forever be a mystery to you -- as will any relationship at all between God and science. You're just making stuff up to try and sound "authoritative." You're not.

DNB

Christian
It is specifically the Southern Baptist Church. And that claim is worth it's own thread. The SBC go on and on and on and on abkut how they follow Scripture but apparently nobody else does because they are notorious for judging others and especially judging other denominations. Which in itself is not congruent with Scripture that instructs them to mind the beam in their own eye first and that by what judgements the give it will be judged against them.
It is incumbent upon all Churches and all Christians to judge right from wrong, and who abides by the precepts of God, and who doesn't.
Anything else is just utter foolishness.

DNB

Christian
Did you seriously just ask why we empathize with the victim and not with the perpetrator of the crimes of kidnapping and rape and suggested that they are both in an "unfortunate position"..... ???

Religion seems to have warped your moral compass into something terribly immoral. You are like the second or third religious person to attempt to justify rape to me in the last couple of weeks on this forum. And people wonder why I reject such beliefs. Wow.
Oh, not you again - misunderstanding everything that's being said.
Read that darn post over again.

DNB

Christian
So long as you simply don't understand minor genetic variation, and natural selection, no answer is going to mean anything to you. Oh, but the Bible doesn't mention DNA, does it? So I guess, in your world-view, it either doesn't really exist or doesn't "do" anything.
You can only regress so far before your genetic variation fallacy exposes your willful ignorance.

DNB

Christian
Funny -- you say "God defined science," and yet you couldn't find the simplest science formula in the scripture you so admire. Not even the simplest! Hell, it couldn't get the relationship of the diameter to the circumference of a circle right. So if Scripture is all you read, science will forever be a mystery to you -- as will any relationship at all between God and science. You're just making stuff up to try and sound "authoritative." You're not.
Gravity is not an intrinsic principle or constant, that transcends its environment or sphere - mass attracts mass due to its proximity, simply because God made it so.
If God wanted rain to feel dry and ice to feel warm, that's entirely His prerogative and capability.
You have two arms and two legs, and cannot reproduce other humans on your own, because that's exactly how God designed mankind.

You cannot affirm that any of the scientific principles that you accept as fact, are so by necessity - they are what they are simply because they are - nothing else demands that they must remain so under any other environment.

But, evil is always evil, and love is always love, by necessity. It can never be the other way around - wisdom will always undermine any attempt to make good, bad, or bad, good.
Darkness cannot dispel light, but light can always obliterate the darkness. God is holy, and that is the only constant in the universe.

DNB

Christian
No, God never defined science. Science is a methodology that was developing by human beings.
God architected the universe, and any discovery that man makes, is an elucidation of what God designed and defined.
Man doesn't always get it correct, or right away, but God knows exactly what the truth is - for He made it as such.

ppp

Gravity is not an intrinsic principle or constant, that transcends its environment or sphere - mass attracts mass due to its proximity, simply because God made it so.
If God wanted rain to feel dry and ice to feel warm, that's entirely His prerogative and capability.
You have two arms and two legs, and cannot reproduce other humans on your own, because that's exactly how God designed mankind.

You cannot affirm that any of the scientific principles that you accept as fact, are so by necessity - they are what they are simply because they are - nothing else demands that they must remain so under any other environment.

But, evil is always evil, and love is always love, by necessity. It can never be the other way around - wisdom will always undermine any attempt to make good, bad, or bad, good.
Darkness cannot dispel light, but light can always obliterate the darkness. God is holy, and that is the only constant in the universe.
Cool story, Bro. Do you plan to demonstrate any of those positive assertions. They all look pretty bald to me.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They both sucked. It was a life of uncertainty, scarcity, difficulties, death and war and they seem to have taken it out on eachother.
Biblical scholars are fairly sure that it was the ancient Hebrews and not their enemies that performed child sacrifice. There are clues in the Bible. And yesterday in another thread a Christian that was trying to support the Bible ironically linked this article:

He really should have read his own source.

DNB

Christian
Cool story, Bro. Do you plan to demonstrate any of those positive assertions. They all look pretty bald to me.
In a purely secular state, what eternal principle or universal (platonic), so to speak, would there be to demand that water is always comprised of H2O, or that paper burns at around 480°F?

Righteousness and iniquity are based on intent - when will a man's disposition ever change i.e. his motives that determine his character, depending upon the realm that he exists?
When will cold-blooded murder ever be perceived as benign and pleasant, to the sound of mind and wise?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In a purely secular state, what eternal principle or universal (platonic), so to speak, would there be to demand that water is always comprised of H2O, or that paper burns at around 480°F?

Righteousness and iniquity are based on intent - when will a man's disposition ever change i.e. his motives that determine his character, depending upon the realm that he exists?
When will cold-blooded murder ever be perceived as benign and pleasant, to the sound of mind and wise?
Why on Earth do you think that it would be anything else?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
How else is the Bible to be taken?
There's no magic formula. IMO, it's mostly based on hearsay information mixed in with some facts, so my intent is to try and understand what the authors were trying to say and utilize in my daily life that which seems to help me and maybe others.