• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Son of Man and the Son of God

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Godman, the Avatar, the Christ is fully God and fully man. So it's not an error to say the same thing.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Are the son of man and son of God, the same thing?
No, as "Son of Man" is a messianic reference, whereas "Son(s) of God" is a reference to Jewish men, unless you see "Only Son of God" stated or implied, which is a reference to Jesus.

exchemist

Veteran Member
No, as "Son of Man" is a messianic reference, whereas "Son(s) of God" is a reference to Jewish men, unless you see "Only Son of God" stated or implied, which is a reference to Jesus.
Aha now this is interesting. I have to admit I have never really understood the regular references Jesus makes to himself as the Son of Man. Can you elaborate a bit on the messianic reference?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Aha now this is interesting. I have to admit I have never really understood the regular references Jesus makes to himself as the Son of Man. Can you elaborate a bit on the messianic reference?
I gotta leave very shortly, so let me just post this and the link:

In the Christian scriptures, Jesus uses the reference for himself more than Son of God. The attributes given to "the Son of man" in the Christian scriptures seem to correspond with those found in the Book of Daniel of the Hebrew scriptures - Daniel 7:13-14 "As I watched in the night visions, I saw one like a son of man coming with the clouds of heaven. And he came to the Ancient One and was presented before him. To him was given dominion and glory and kingship, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not pass away, and his kingship is one that shall never be destroyed." The New Testament claims, in Revelation, that Jesus will come to earth on the "clouds of heaven," and that he will be given unending dominion and authority. It describes him as the "ruler of the kings of the earth," to be served and worshiped by all nations, people, and language groups. Another possible correspondence is found in repeated usage of a similar phrase in the Book of Ezekiel...
-- Son of man (Christianity) - Wikipedia

exchemist

Veteran Member
I gotta leave very shortly, so let me just post this and the link:

In the Christian scriptures, Jesus uses the reference for himself more than Son of God. The attributes given to "the Son of man" in the Christian scriptures seem to correspond with those found in the Book of Daniel of the Hebrew scriptures - Daniel 7:13-14 "As I watched in the night visions, I saw one like a son of man coming with the clouds of heaven. And he came to the Ancient One and was presented before him. To him was given dominion and glory and kingship, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not pass away, and his kingship is one that shall never be destroyed." The New Testament claims, in Revelation, that Jesus will come to earth on the "clouds of heaven," and that he will be given unending dominion and authority. It describes him as the "ruler of the kings of the earth," to be served and worshiped by all nations, people, and language groups. Another possible correspondence is found in repeated usage of a similar phrase in the Book of Ezekiel...
-- Son of man (Christianity) - Wikipedia
Thanks for this. I am somewhat relieved, at any rate, to read from the Wiki link that my uncertainty as to what it means is shared by everyone else! But I found the "ben adam" reference interesting and also that God refers to Ezekiel as son of man. So it might mean rather less than first appears, it seems.

I had had the idea to ask our parish priest to preach on its meaning, since it has baffled me and no doubt others, but reading the Wiki link I now wonder if he might not want to go there, for fear of confusing everyone completely!

PureX

Veteran Member
Are the son of man and son of God, the same thing?
Yes. As to love God is to love ourselves and each other. "Son of" in this context means 'spokesmen for', and 'servant of'. And Jesus was clearly both.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

you nullify what psalms 82:6 and jesus said at John 10:34

son of god is not exclusive to a person, nor is christ because of john 21:15

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
its not a single person. ezekiel is called the son of man and asaph knew of himself as did malachi 2:10 as the son of god.

Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
Mark 3:11 And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried, saying, Thou art the Son of God.

Matthew 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.
Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

No... same person

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
then what might this mean?

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.
Didn't he rise after his death? Isn't that what the Christian Easter celebration is supposed to be about?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
Mark 3:11 And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried, saying, Thou art the Son of God.

Matthew 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.
Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

No... same person

I didn't claim Jesus wasn't the son of god. I claimed mankind in someway is the sons of god. Malachi and Asaph made the same claim too.

FYI Jesus never wrote anything so.......

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Didn't he rise after his death? Isn't that what the Christian Easter celebration is supposed to be about?

A lot of people have had ndes. The resurrection of the dead is not about the body. It's about the eternal spirit.