• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some questions about Christianity

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Can you tell the difference between “Parthenos” and “Almah” semantically?

If you could, then you could probably understand where I’m coming from.
"Almah" is implied to be a virgin. "Parthenos" is explicitly a virgin.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
I would direct you to the lords prayer, which you would know very well.

What does the first line direct you to do?
To hallow His name. The Lord's Prayer says nothing about using that name. Heck, the prayer begins with addressing God as "Our Father Who art in Heaven", not "YHWH Who art in Heaven". What's your point?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
To hallow His name. The Lord's Prayer says nothing about using that name. Heck, the prayer begins with addressing God as "Our Father Who art in Heaven", not "YHWH Who art in Heaven". What's your point?

what does it mean to 'hallow' something?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
To bless and to sanctify, to praise and to declare as being holy.

right, agreed.

As Jesus did.
John 17:25 Righteous Father, the world has, indeed, not come to know you, but I know you, and these have come to know that you sent me. 26 I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”

And as the prophets of old declared:
Jeremiah 32:20 You have performed signs and miracles in the land of Egypt, which are known down to this day, and thus you have made a name for yourself in Israel and among mankind, as it is today

Do you really believe that God would allow his name to be forgotten?

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Premium Member
right, agreed.

As Jesus did.
John 17:25 Righteous Father, the world has, indeed, not come to know you, but I know you, and these have come to know that you sent me. 26 I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”

And as the prophets of old declared:
Jeremiah 32:20 You have performed signs and miracles in the land of Egypt, which are known down to this day, and thus you have made a name for yourself in Israel and among mankind, as it is today

Do you really believe that God would allow his name to be forgotten?
I fail to see your point. Do you have a relevant question?

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
"Almah" is implied to be a virgin. "Parthenos" is explicitly a virgin.
The Jews argued “Almah” as a young woman and not necessarily a virgin, while the LXX says “Parthernos” as a virgin.

So it’s a matter of interpretation, but which one is right?

Shiranui117

Premium Member
The Jews argued “Almah” as a young woman and not necessarily a virgin, while the LXX says “Parthernos” as a virgin.

So it’s a matter of interpretation, but which one is right?
The Septuagint is more than a thousand years older than the Masoretic Text we have today. The Septuagint was compiled several hundred years before Christ's birth, whereas the Masoretic Text was compiled in the Middle Ages. The Jewish scribes and priests knew exactly what they were doing when they translated Hebrew "almah" into Greek "parthenos".

And frankly, interpreting "almah" as an unmarried virgin is the only way the text makes sense. Young women conceive all the time, so one conceiving wouldn't be much of a sign or a miracle as God promises is the case with Isaiah 7:14. But if an unmarried virgin conceives, then we have something. This is why the scribes and priests translated it the way they did, rather than going for a generic word or phrase meaning "young woman" in Greek. The Septuagint wasn't written by Christians to prove our claims about Christ. It was written by Jews who lived centuries before Jesus was even born. Therefore, casting aside the Septuagint as being inaccurate or biased is complete folly.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
We are all gods; but only when you consider the illusions of both time and free will. However, God is not confined within linear time, and He swears by Himself. Therefore, there is only one God, and there is no will but God's.

1. Base their lives on Jesus' teachings. ( Matthew chapters 5-7)
2. Base their teaching on the Kingdom of God. (Matthew chapter 10)
( Matthew 24:14)
3. Preach to the entire world (Romans 10:13-15)
4. Do not go to war (Micah 4:1-3) (John 13:34-35)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I fail to see your point. Do you have a relevant question?

well think about it.... God declares his name to Moses and Isreal, they carry his name and uphold it among all the nations and they alone have God on their side.

And then Jesus comes and also proclaims the name of God to his disciples...but now today no one seems to know Gods name nor do they believe it can be known.

Do you really think God would let that happen to his personal name? (not that his name is unknown btw, it is known in all the world, just not among christendom or jews or islam )

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1. Base their lives on Jesus' teachings. ( Matthew chapters 5-7)

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

JWs changed this to say "concious of spiriual need". But it actually means unconcious of spiritual need ie "poor".

4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.

JWs won't mourn for the billions who will be removed from the Earth to make room for "God's Kingdom". Actually, to be thinking that soon opposition will be removed makes many JWs glad not sad. Giddy, not mournful.

5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.

JWs teach they are the only ones knowing God and the only ones who know the way, the truth and the life.

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.

Not by God though. They are fed by men.

7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.

Their job is to make people choose if they will be sheep like them or goats for destruction.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.

God prophesied the law of God would be written on hearts. But the JWs teach the only hearts who are written on by God are the chosen ones who will rule with Christ and we must obey them to live.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.

Going door to door saying death to all who won't obey them. Peace?

10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

It is debatable whether their persecution is because of righteousness.

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

They say Matthew 24:48 But suppose that servant is wicked does not apply to their leaders and never will apply to their leaders. On the other hand Jesus says the salt can lose it's flavor.

Matthew 5:6 Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

It is their job to practice righteousness in front of others.

I think I will not bore you with more. And I haven't got all day. I hear my end is coming VERY SOON.

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Premium Member
well think about it.... God declares his name to Moses and Isreal, they carry his name and uphold it among all the nations and they alone have God on their side.

And then Jesus comes and also proclaims the name of God to his disciples...but now today no one seems to know Gods name nor do they believe it can be known.

Do you really think God would let that happen to his personal name? (not that his name is unknown btw, it is known in all the world, just not among christendom or jews or islam )
Yet, ask any small child what the names of their parents are. They won't say "John and Jane", they will say, "Mom and Dad." Does this mean that these children don't truly love their parents, or don't serve them, or don't obey them, or that their relationship to their parents is defective? Of course not. Their parents are their world, and they never want to be separated from them, or do anything to make them upset or angry.

Calling God "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" doesn't make you a better Christian or a worse one. Calling Him "Lord", "God", "Master", "Savior", "Allah", etc. instead of YHWH makes absolutely no difference to Him. It isn't what we call God that matters. What matters is our relationship to Him. If you feel closer to God by calling Him "Jehovah", then feel free. But don't say that your way is better or more correct, or that others who don't use that name have an inferior relationship with God. Because that's what your insistence on everyone calling God "YHWH" comes across as. God doesn't care what we call Him, He just wants us to know and love Him. That's all He wants.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yet, ask any small child what the names of their parents are. They won't say "John and Jane", they will say, "Mom and Dad." Does this mean that these children don't truly love their parents, or don't serve them, or don't obey them, or that their relationship to their parents is defective? Of course not. Their parents are their world, and they never want to be separated from them, or do anything to make them upset or angry.

Calling God "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" doesn't make you a better Christian or a worse one. Calling Him "Lord", "God", "Master", "Savior", "Allah", etc. instead of YHWH makes absolutely no difference to Him. It isn't what we call God that matters. What matters is our relationship to Him. If you feel closer to God by calling Him "Jehovah", then feel free. But don't say that your way is better or more correct, or that others who don't use that name have an inferior relationship with God. Because that's what your insistence on everyone calling God "YHWH" comes across as. God doesn't care what we call Him, He just wants us to know and love Him. That's all He wants.

If it really made no difference to him, why did he even bother to give his name to the nation of Israel? And why did Christ require that christians make Gods name sacred or holy?

If the name held little significance, why is it mentioned over 7,000 times in scripture?

And what is the significance of this scripture: Acts 15:14 Sym′e·on has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If it really made no difference to him, why did he even bother to give his name to the nation of Israel? And why did Christ require that christians make Gods name sacred or holy?

If the name held little significance, why is it mentioned over 7,000 times in scripture?

And what is the significance of this scripture: Acts 15:14 Sym′e·on has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.

Israel was for making a way for Jesus Christ to come. The Hebrew name of Jesus means "יְהוָ֖ה is salvation". That is why יְהוָ֖ה is mentioned 7,000 times. יְהוָ֖ה is salvation has arrived!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Jesus referred to the Father as...well, Father. He didn't call Him Yahweh or Jehovah. In fact, the name YHVH doesn't appear in the NT at all. I don't call my parents by their first names so why should I do the same with our heavenly Father? If it's good enough for Jesus, it's definitely good enough for us.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
God doesn't have a name; there isn't one capable of containing Him, or adequately describing Him. The Israelites gave God an Israelite reputation, and many names.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
God gave a name to Israel because they asked for it, not because He was dead set on everyone calling Him by His personal name.

Because calling God "God" in a polytheistic society like ancient Israel wouldn't have worked. Now that we live in a society with a Christian heritage, there's no confusion about Who is meant when we say "God".

The significance is that God has called upon all peoples to come to Him and become as one race--the Christian race.

Tell me: Do you think that anyone who prefers to refer to God as "God" or "Lord", and never calls Him by "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" is an inferior Christian, or in an inferior relationship with God?