• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some questions about Christianity

Kikite

Hello all. I'd like to start by saying that I am not a Christian, and have in fact in my early life (childhood and teenage) had terribly negative experiences relating to Christianity (aggressive conversion practices and the like) However, I have also met many Christians who have shown me that not all Christians are alike, and that the religion can bring about great good and wisdom.

Personally, from where I am now, I myself have learnt much from Christianity (even though I am a non-believer) and I would
like to learn more about one of the world's great faiths as part of my own personal and spiritual development. Hence, this
post! Some of the topics and questions here may be kind of sensitive, so I apologize in advance if anyone takes offence.
I have tried to ask them with sincerity and respect.

1. Is it possible to believe in God and other spirities/deities/entities? Most Christians I've talked to seem to be quite
adamant about how, to be a Christian, you must believe in God and God alone. They also seem to reject the idea that all
gods can be the same, just by different names, or that God/Allah/Jehovah/etc may all be different expressions of the divine.

To what extent is this true? It probably differs from tradition to tradition, but I would like to know more about this.

2. Why is aggressive evangelizing carried out in the way that is it? I can understand that Christians evangelize because it's part of their religion, and that they genuinely want to help, but more often that not (at least in my experience) it comes of as aggressive, patriachal, and disrespectful of the beliefs of others.

Take missionary work, for instance. Building houses for people and then expecting them to listen to you later seems like a very roundabout form of extortion to me. My dad once went to a dinner hosted by a friend...after a nice meal the host started talking about God and my dad, while kind of ****** off at this, felt bad about leaving right away, so he listened for a while and then left.

I also think I think it's quite rude and insensitive to try to convert people who already believe in another religion. I mean, imagine going up to a Christian and telling him his God doesn't exist and that he should believe in the Flying Orange
Dinosaur or something.

Wouldn't it be more effective to help unreservedly in all situations and also make it known that you would be answer any questions about Christianity? That way there would be no pressure on either side. To me it would also be a very convincing
argument for the religion. "Look, here are people who help all who come and who judge no-one, isn't that amazing!" - I'd certainly like to learn more about them!

I must add, though, that I have had very bad experiences with evangelizing in general (like I said above) so I might be
templating my views on some Christians who do not represent the majority.

3. Why is there so much homophobia among Christians? I get it that the Bible says it's wrong, but like a site I visited
mentioned, it only has about 30-40 lines about that, and over a thousand lines about love and forgiveness. Also, if
Jesus said to love your enemy, and Christians feel that homosexuals are misguided and sinning, why not help as many
homosexuals as they can? If they attended gay pride parades to see what they felt, and they talked to and spoke to more
homosexuals, wouldn't that do a lot more for spreading love and forgiveness then outright condemning their beliefs and
behavior?

I'm not saying to condone what you feel to be wrong, but it doesn't seem helpful (besides being downright contradictory) to attack and criticize when Jesus said to love and care.

4. Why is there so much dissent among the different Christians faiths? (Mormons, Quakers, Protestant etc) I asked a Christian
friend this and he said, yes, they all do believe in the Bible and worship God...so right now I don't quite get why there
is so much difference to what my untrained eye sees as doctrinal differences. I get that a lot of it is due to historical
and cultural makeup (the religious wars in England etc) but at the end of it, don't they all worship and believe in the
same God?

Once again this is just my perspective on the issue, maybe Christians actually don't disagree as much as I think they do :)

Well, if you are still here, thanks for reading! I apologize once again if I have inadvertently given offence. Part of what
led me to make this post is experiencing one kind of Christianity from people around me, and reading about many different
kinds on the Net. I hope to be able to understand more!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Personally, from where I am now, I myself have learnt much from Christianity (even though I am a non-believer) and I would
like to learn more about one of the world's great faiths as part of my own personal and spiritual development. Hence, this
post! Some of the topics and questions here may be kind of sensitive, so I apologize in advance if anyone takes offence.
I have tried to ask them with sincerity and respect.

1. Is it possible to believe in God and other spirities/deities/entities?
Yes, most Christians do. 'Satan' is another entity. Angels are another entity. Demons are another entity.
Most Christians I've talked to seem to be quite
adamant about how, to be a Christian, you must believe in God and God alone.
Ah, you mean worship G-d. Well, that is Biblical. That's part of the religion.
They also seem to reject the idea that all
gods can be the same, just by different names, or that God/Allah/Jehovah/etc may all be different expressions of the divine.
Well, yes. Because aren't different gods different from each other? Do you really think all these gods are the 'same'?
To what extent is this true? It probably differs from tradition to tradition, but I would like to know more about this.
It's true, Christianity is monotheistic.

2. Why is aggressive evangelizing carried out in the way that is it?
I can't answer that.
I can understand that Christians evangelize because it's part of their religion, and that they genuinely want to help, but more often that not (at least in my experience) it comes of as aggressive, patriachal, and disrespectful of the beliefs of others.
O.k...
4. Why is there so much dissent among the different Christians faiths? (Mormons, Quakers, Protestant etc) I asked a Christian
friend this and he said, yes, they all do believe in the Bible and worship God...so right now I don't quite get why there
is so much difference to what my untrained eye sees as doctrinal differences. I get that a lot of it is due to historical
and cultural makeup (the religious wars in England etc) but at the end of it, don't they all worship and believe in the
same God?
Yep. Well, almost all. I think there are some major differences between certain Christian sects. You have to research/ask about that specifically.
Once again this is just my perspective on the issue, maybe Christians actually don't disagree as much as I think they do :)
Yes and no.:) There are some differences that are irreconcilable, actually, speaking theologically, or religious beliefs wise.

Well, if you are still here, thanks for reading! I apologize once again if I have inadvertently given offence. Part of what
led me to make this post is experiencing one kind of Christianity from people around me, and reading about many different

Any more questions just ask in the DIR.

Thana

Lady
1. Is it possible to believe in God and other spirities/deities/entities? Most Christians I've talked to seem to be quite
adamant about how, to be a Christian, you must believe in God and God alone. They also seem to reject the idea that all

Uh.. Well Christianity doesn't exactly have a strict definition.
And I'm sure there are self-proclaimed Christians who believe in other dieties, But if you want to get technical, No. The Bible is pretty clear on worshipping other dieties.

2. Why is aggressive evangelizing carried out in the way that is it? I can understand that Christians evangelize because it's part of their religion, and that they genuinely want to help, but more often that not (at least in my experience) it comes of as aggressive, patriachal, and disrespectful of the beliefs of others.

You'll mostly find this with JW's and Mormons which are kind of like cousins to mainstream Christianity. But I suppose the reason why a lot of Christians evangalize is simply because they feel it's their duty to save people.

They believe they're doing God's work.

Take missionary work, for instance. Building houses for people and then expecting them to listen to you later seems like a very roundabout form of extortion to me. My dad once went to a dinner hosted by a friend...after a nice meal the host started talking about God and my dad, while kind of ****** off at this, felt bad about leaving right away, so he listened for a while and then left.

Well, missionary work isn't generally like that. Some preach forcefully like that, But most just do good works and have chats with those who are open to it. Only a minority force it down people's throats.

I also think I think it's quite rude and insensitive to try to convert people who already believe in another religion. I mean, imagine going up to a Christian and telling him his God doesn't exist and that he should believe in the Flying Orange
Dinosaur or something.

Yes I understand this. But it's generally only Abrahamic religions that believe in Hell, So they want to save people. Again, It comes down to those who truly believe that they have to save others. You can't tell them they're doing wrong, Because to them, They're doing the right thing by saving non-believers from hell.

Wouldn't it be more effective to help unreservedly in all situations and also make it known that you would be answer any questions about Christianity? That way there would be no pressure on either side. To me it would also be a very convincing
argument for the religion. "Look, here are people who help all who come and who judge no-one, isn't that amazing!" - I'd certainly like to learn more about them!

The bible says this, To be an example so that people come to you.

A lot of people do exactly as you described.
Christians come in all different flavours, So you can't really put us all under the Christianity umbrella. We're a varied lot.

3. Why is there so much homophobia among Christians? I get it that the Bible says it's wrong, but like a site I visited
mentioned, it only has about 30-40 lines about that, and over a thousand lines about love and forgiveness. Also, if
Jesus said to love your enemy, and Christians feel that homosexuals are misguided and sinning, why not help as many
homosexuals as they can? If they attended gay pride parades to see what they felt, and they talked to and spoke to more
homosexuals, wouldn't that do a lot more for spreading love and forgiveness then outright condemning their beliefs and
behavior?

Again, You're dealing with people who are extreme in their views. The bible is very clear about homosexuality, That it is the act not the people that is wrong. That we're all sinners, And to love your neighbour and that whoever has never sinned can cast the first stone. People just focus on what they want too, Because it's really about their ideals and not about the religion.

same God?

Yep, Pretty much.
Like I said, People hear what they want to hear. The denominations are more about people's personal ideals and less about God and Christianity.

Most people who are JW's don't want there to be a hell, And so viola, They take the bible passages about hell figuratively and now they're comfortable in their faith.

No offence taken. Questions are healthy :)
Hope I helped. My views aren't the majority by any means, But you'll find that there isn't that much agreement among Christians anyway.

Kikite

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! My own replies follow :

1. I don't mean to worship other gods/deities per se, I'm talking more about how one can believe all gods are the manifestations of a certain force or power. In that way maybe Allah/God/Buddha/etc are all connected. Or does the Bible prohibit that as well? (I've only read some of it, not the whole thing)

2. Given that most Christians I've met in my country seem to espouse the whole "gays will go to Hell" thing (and evangelize pretty aggressively) I am happy to know that they might be in the minority!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! My own replies follow :

1. I don't mean to worship other gods/deities per se, I'm talking more about how one can believe all gods are the manifestations of a certain force or power. In that way maybe Allah/God/Buddha/etc are all connected. Or does the Bible prohibit that as well? (I've only read some of it, not the whole thing)

I don't believe that, no. Some Christians might.

Thana

Lady

Some do believe that these deities are real, They just aren't God. They're demons/The devil. The bible only prohibits the worship of these 'Gods'

2. Given that most Christians I've met in my country seem to espouse the whole "gays will go to Hell" thing (and evangelize pretty aggressively) I am happy to know that they might be in the minority!

Hmm, Well I'm not sure where you live but I heard that America has this problem. Here is Australia, It's pretty laid back. Except for the Jehovah witness's, But I imagine they're the same everywhere.

rusra02

Premium Member
Thank you for your post. I believe the Bible supplies answers to your questions.
As to why there are so many professed "Christian" religions, 2 Peter 2:1 states: "However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among you. These will quietly bring in destructive sects, and they will even disown the owner who bought them." Jesus himself said he would disown many who claimed to be his followers. (Matthew 7:21-23)
The Bible prophesied a mass apostasy from true Christianity, which is evident today. (2 Thessalonians 2:3, Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43)
Jesus did give his true disciples the command to preach and teach others. (Matthew 24:14, 28:19,20) they were not to force themselves on anyone nor bribe them through gifts. If a person did not wish to hear their message, they were to move on.
True Christians do show love to all sorts of people. Many who formerly practiced things that displease God are thus helped to change their thinking and conduct.(1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
Such changes come, I believe, by coming to know God and Christ as they really are. (John 17:3) I know of only one religion that follows Bible teachings in all respects. Their conduct and teachings set them apart from the many religions falsely claiming to be Christians.

Rapha

2. Because some of them have witnessed hell and know that when a sinner spirit ends up there, that spirit is basically screwed for eternity.

To me it would also be a very convincing argument for the religion. "Look, here are people who help all who come and who judge no-one, isn't that amazing!" - I'd certainly like to learn more about them!
i tried this with Albert Pikes prediction of the anti-christ coming into play after 3 world wars. WW3 is with Muslims and Christians. WW3 has been in play since Gulf War 1 (1991). No one listens.
Russia has already sided with Christians - read Putin's speech.
America has sided with the Muslim Brotherhood - see the recent chaos in Egypt.
No one will listen. They just cannot handle the truth.

God (Elohim, Yahushua, Jehovah) is the creator of our universe.

Always judge a god by its fruits. Allah wants all Muslims to kill Christians and control this world.

i once asked a spiritual contact the following question...
Is it true that the leader of each mythology is the same angel?
Mythology: Egyption...Greek...Nordic...Roman....
Leader : …...Ra.........Zeus....Odin…..Jupiter...

The answer was...
it is true that the pantheon of all these have the same beings yet who is greatest and who is leader is not always the same. Ra is greatest but Osiris more worshipped. Ouranos is greatest but Zeus more worshipped. Ra is more equivalent to Helios than to Zeus.

Another example is the fallen angel Pan (Roman myth) is also Silvanus the Green Man (Celtic myth).

Another clue can be found in their preferred weapons. Both Zeus and Thor use lightning as their main scalar weapon.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The Bible does not say that homosexuality as we know it is wrong. Those verses have been mistranslated and misinterpreted.

Have a look at this site: Gay Christian 101 - Affirming God's good news and Bible truth for all GLBTs.

I am not an Evangelical Protestant but that site is very good. It explains the real meanings of the words in the original contexts and their proper historical and cultural contexts. The Bible does not have anything negative to say about modern LGBT people.

Hi. Most of your questions depend on the denomination. I'm mainly speaking from a former Catholic's perspective here.

1. Is it possible to believe in God and other spirities/deities/entities?
In a way, yes. "Satan", the Angels, the saints and so on are technically other entities. In Catholicism, you're supposed to believe in the saints as well, for example, while a few other branches reject that idea.

Also, from a non-Christian perspective. In Ancient Rome, there were a few Romans who had incorporated Jesus into their personal pantheon and saw him as yet another deity among the many that existed in the Mediterranean area. So for someone who isn't a Christian, you can believe in the existence of multiple gods, including the Christian one. I've met quite a few Pagans that put it this way, they believe in the Christian God and all gods, they just don't worship them all.

I've also met Christians who believed that all gods are the same God. Others don't believe the other gods are real at all. And so on and so on.

2. Why is aggressive evangelizing carried out in the way that is it?

I agree with you but it seems odd to ask a question and then follow it with a long rant on how you feel about it.

That said, isn't it technically the same thing to go build a house for someone and then be there to answer the questions they may have about your religion? It's still putting a sort of pressure on them to at least consider the religion. I disagree with evangelizing either way.

3. Why is there so much homophobia among Christians?
Once again... it seems weird to me to ask a question and then preach about your beliefs.

I agree with you, there's plenty of homophobia among Christians and it's very unfortunate. Many forget that Jesus said that you should love others and not judge them.

The Catholic doctrine is "hate the sin, love the sinner", so technically, LGBT+ people are to be loved and accepted without judgement but must practice abstinence, which I still personally think it's homophobic.

However, I've met lots of Catholics who think that lots of the doctrines of the church are seriously outdated, including that one. Again, it's more of a personal thing than a religion thing. I've noticed some people of other religions can have more conservative beliefs in this regard as well for example.

4. Why is there so much dissent among the different Christians faiths?
Because they're different at their core. This question is best answered by picking up a book on the history of Christianity. They believe in the same God and are all centred on Christ but the doctrines can be very different. This is not only the case in Christianity but in many other religions as well, which have different branches and paths within them. It's like asking why there are so many political ideologies within the left or within the right that are often at odds with each other, that's because they may share some similarities but have lots of differences as well.

Kikite

Thanks for your reply! As to why I am "ranting" after asking a question - my question is sincere, it's just that my negative experiences may have led me to "rant" about how I perceive the thing I am asking about. I'm talking about what I have experienced so as to provide better context, not that I have already made up my mind.

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
1. Is it possible to believe in God and other spirities/deities/entities? Most Christians I've talked to seem to be quite adamant about how, to be a Christian, you must believe in God and God alone. They also seem to reject the idea that all gods can be the same, just by different names, or that God/Allah/Jehovah/etc may all be different expressions of the divine.

The God of the true Christians is the same as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

God said to Moses,

Ex 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

“other” is heteros in Greek or "different" gods or “another/heteros” gods other than the true God that took them out of Egypt.

IOW, Christians and Jews can not have any “other/heteros” gods beside the One and The Only true God and that is, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of the bible.

JM2C

CHRISTIAN

Let’s for example say that in that party, where your dad attended, there were like 50 guests. Now, out of the 50 guests only one listened with an open heart, or should I say that God opened that person’s heart to listen and to believe the gospel that the host was preaching while the rest of the guest, like your dad, did not. That single person, out of the 50 guests, must hear and believe the gospel first to be save, and it does not matter to God if the rest would not believe at all.

The purpose of that preaching is for everyone to hear the gospel so that at the end no one can say, “oh, nobody told me anything about God or the gospel“, but since that single person is the only one predistined by God to hear and to believe the gospel and the rest do not at all, there is nothing anyone could do. It’s not about what anyone can do or say to be save, but it’s all about God’s will.

God will not bribe you or your dad to believe in Him. God will not do any tricks so you could praise and worship Him.

Chrisianity is not about what one wants, but about on whom God wants to bestow His mercy and compassion.

Ro 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
Ro 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy.
Ro 9:16 NLT So receiving God’s promise is not up to us. We can’t get it by choosing it or working hard for it. God will show mercy to anyone he chooses.

Why God took the Israelites out of Egypt? For the simple reason that this is what HE wanted from the beginning. HE is God and we are HIS creation and HE could do anything HE wanted to do.

Human finite mind could never ever understand the infinite mind of God, but Paul said in 1st Cor. 2:16 “but we/Christians have the mind of Christ”

Can God make anyone’s heart hard as a rock like HE did to Pharaoh? YES!

Ro 9:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might show my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
Ro 9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

It’s not about what we want, it’s all about God‘s will.

Last edited:

Kikite

God will not bribe you or your dad to believe in Him. God will not do any tricks so you could praise and worship Him.

If God exists, I don't think he would do that! I'm talking more about the behavior of the host.

Maybe I should give more context here. If he told my dad at the outset that there would be a sermon after the meal, that would be ok, since my dad could then refuse either the meal, the sermon, or both. But springing a surprise sermon AFTER the meal is a bit of a trap, because politeness dictates that he stay after the meal for a short while as a sign of respect for his host. He can't decline at that moment after he has partook of the host's hospitality.

I might add that my dad can be rather old-fashioned and he has very strong ideas about what responsibilities a host and a guest have. However, the host himself probably knows my dad thinks this way as well (probably, I can't see into his mind) so I find the sermon after the meal...not very cool.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The Bible does not say that homosexuality as we know it is wrong. Those verses have been mistranslated and misinterpreted.

Have a look at this site: Gay Christian 101 - Affirming God's good news and Bible truth for all GLBTs.

I am not an Evangelical Protestant but that site is very good. It explains the real meanings of the words in the original contexts and their proper historical and cultural contexts. The Bible does not have anything negative to say about modern LGBT people.

i dont understand how anyone who reads the bible can take this view.

There are laws against the practice of males having sex with males. Thats what we know as homosexuality.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
i dont understand how anyone who reads the bible can take this view.

There are laws against the practice of males having sex with males. Thats what we know as homosexuality.

People who actually know a bit about the cultures the Bible was written in, the original words that were later mistranslated and who have an understanding of the cultural development of views of sexuality would agree with me. The site I linked to explains it.

I don't expect a Jehovah's Witness to ever see my point of view on that, however. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

The bible itself says that there are many gods. A god/diety is usally a supernatural being and the bible reveals that there are myriads of such beings. But which one should be worship? For Jesus, there was only one worthy of our worship and that is Jehovah.

1Cor 8:5 For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him

2. Why is aggressive evangelizing carried out in the way that is it? I can understand that Christians evangelize because it's part of their religion, and that they genuinely want to help, but more often that not (at least in my experience) it comes of as aggressive, patriachal, and disrespectful of the beliefs of others. Take missionary work, for instance. Building houses for people and then expecting them to listen to you later....

unfortunately this is true in many cases. But it shouldn't be that way. Jesus was always kind and patient with people...when he preached he did so in a dignified and respectful way.
Jesus didnt bribe anyone...he didnt need to be cause the message he had was of benefit to his hearers.

christian preaching should be for teaching people about Christ, the heavenly kingdom, its future rule and how a person can become a subject of that kingdom.

homosexuals, wouldn't that do a lot more for spreading love and forgiveness then outright condemning their beliefs and behavior?

I dont agree with christian groups who actively protest against things they dont agree with. But we must also remember that God wants mankind to know his views, so for that reason i dont think its wrong to state when something is against Gods laws.

But the way this is done needs to be respectful and in a kind manner.

same God?

this is the case because some people have chosen to establish their own churches and form their own sects and introduce their own doctrines. You need only compare their teachings with the bible to see who have gone down a different path to what Christ taught.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
People who actually know a bit about the cultures the Bible was written in, the original words that were later mistranslated and who have an understanding of the cultural development of views of sexuality would agree with me. The site I linked to explains it.

I don't expect a Jehovah's Witness to ever see my point of view on that, however. :rolleyes:

what do you think 'men who lay with men' means in the original language?