• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some questions about Christianity

betrayed

Hello all. I'd like to start by saying that I am not a Christian, and have in fact in my early life (childhood and teenage) had terribly negative experiences relating to Christianity (aggressive conversion practices and the like) However, I have also met many Christians who have shown me that not all Christians are alike, and that the religion can bring about great good and wisdom.

Personally, from where I am now, I myself have learnt much from Christianity (even though I am a non-believer) and I would
like to learn more about one of the world's great faiths as part of my own personal and spiritual development. Hence, this
post! Some of the topics and questions here may be kind of sensitive, so I apologize in advance if anyone takes offence.
I have tried to ask them with sincerity and respect.

1. Is it possible to believe in God and other spirities/deities/entities? Most Christians I've talked to seem to be quite
adamant about how, to be a Christian, you must believe in God and God alone. They also seem to reject the idea that all
gods can be the same, just by different names, or that God/Allah/Jehovah/etc may all be different expressions of the divine.

To what extent is this true? It probably differs from tradition to tradition, but I would like to know more about this.

2. Why is aggressive evangelizing carried out in the way that is it? I can understand that Christians evangelize because it's part of their religion, and that they genuinely want to help, but more often that not (at least in my experience) it comes of as aggressive, patriachal, and disrespectful of the beliefs of others.

Take missionary work, for instance. Building houses for people and then expecting them to listen to you later seems like a very roundabout form of extortion to me. My dad once went to a dinner hosted by a friend...after a nice meal the host started talking about God and my dad, while kind of ****** off at this, felt bad about leaving right away, so he listened for a while and then left.

I also think I think it's quite rude and insensitive to try to convert people who already believe in another religion. I mean, imagine going up to a Christian and telling him his God doesn't exist and that he should believe in the Flying Orange
Dinosaur or something.

Wouldn't it be more effective to help unreservedly in all situations and also make it known that you would be answer any questions about Christianity? That way there would be no pressure on either side. To me it would also be a very convincing
argument for the religion. "Look, here are people who help all who come and who judge no-one, isn't that amazing!" - I'd certainly like to learn more about them!

I must add, though, that I have had very bad experiences with evangelizing in general (like I said above) so I might be
templating my views on some Christians who do not represent the majority.

3. Why is there so much homophobia among Christians? I get it that the Bible says it's wrong, but like a site I visited
mentioned, it only has about 30-40 lines about that, and over a thousand lines about love and forgiveness. Also, if
Jesus said to love your enemy, and Christians feel that homosexuals are misguided and sinning, why not help as many
homosexuals as they can? If they attended gay pride parades to see what they felt, and they talked to and spoke to more
homosexuals, wouldn't that do a lot more for spreading love and forgiveness then outright condemning their beliefs and
behavior?

I'm not saying to condone what you feel to be wrong, but it doesn't seem helpful (besides being downright contradictory) to attack and criticize when Jesus said to love and care.

4. Why is there so much dissent among the different Christians faiths? (Mormons, Quakers, Protestant etc) I asked a Christian
friend this and he said, yes, they all do believe in the Bible and worship God...so right now I don't quite get why there
is so much difference to what my untrained eye sees as doctrinal differences. I get that a lot of it is due to historical
and cultural makeup (the religious wars in England etc) but at the end of it, don't they all worship and believe in the
same God?

Once again this is just my perspective on the issue, maybe Christians actually don't disagree as much as I think they do :)

Well, if you are still here, thanks for reading! I apologize once again if I have inadvertently given offence. Part of what
led me to make this post is experiencing one kind of Christianity from people around me, and reading about many different
kinds on the Net. I hope to be able to understand more!

I hope I can help you but I do not push 'religion' on anyone. First of all, if you have read the Bible, GOD (JEHOVA, YAWEH, 'I AM', THE BEGINNING AND THE END, ONLY A FEW OF HIS NAMES) says many times HE is a jealous GOD and HE does not tolerate any worshipping other gods. I am so positive this is GOD of all and that Jesus Christ did die and rise up to be with His Father again...I have had many experiences which I hope to get to here later.In the OLD Scriptures when GOD was leading HIS people to the promised land, they were very disobedient and yet HE kept forgiving them most of the time, unless they went directly against HIS commandments. In Jerimiah 31:31 HE said HE would make a new covenant with the people, is so wonderful for it ties right into the NEW TESTAMENT. Yes, a new covenant and HE loves people so much , but evil was in our world.He tried to tell us what most people pass by in Genesis 6:6. He flooded the world because it had turned so evil, It speaks of giants in the land, but it also says (AND AFTER THE FLOOD). I know there was a flood and GOD took only NOAH's family for their seed was not mingled with evil seeds. "The sons of GOD" took the women & mingled their seed with them. These sons of GOD were evil angels that fell with Lucifer. If you get a chance try looking up Phil Schneider on utube and see what we have as evil here underground. And it does not tell all that is there. I know this rather hard and complicated and it takes many years to learn the New Testament. I am not through yet myself but I do know GOD is true and HE was able to save HIS WORD.
We now go by the New Testament because Jesus, Yeshua (his Hebrew name) came to save us from ourselves for we have pretty bad stuff sometimes coming out of these mouths and some even do worst. Where do you think all the evil comes from here? Well, in John 10:10 Jesus tries to tell us. He said The devil has come to steal, kill and destroy, but HE came to give us a good life,if we believe HIM. I love how much HE loved us...Even a non-believer Jew wrote much about HIM and HIS miracles and all HE did. His name was Josephus.I have had my own encounter with my LORD and HE says "you will find me when you seek for me with ALL your heart."If I could tell you everthing I have prayed, HE heard and answered. Once I was in my car praising HIM for all HE had done and HE or HIS ANGEL touched me on my right shoulder! So many things good happened to PROVE HE was real.I was seeking hard for HIM and wanted to be sure this was right.Our dog was bitten by a snake and dying. I felt HE told me to lay hands on him and pray.I did & , then, 'go get him some water.When I gave him that water,he jumped up healed..Another time (we were kind of poor) my washer stopped running and the LORD says in the WORD to lay hands on the sick and they shall recover James 5, I believe, so I decided that I would tell my washer to start working "IN the name of JESUS' and it did! These were things to start my experience off with HIM but then he wanted me to learn "faith" and that's a hard one.We have to learn "without faith it is impossible to please HIM" so we have a tough road to learn. He also says the road is narrow and not many will find it, It's not easy, but is rewarding and wonderful to learn more about HIM!
As far as homosexuals, I just know it's wrong.The LORD makes it clear in Romans 1 and also HE made them male and female and put them together and called them ONE.It is worth the wait while HE fixes up that one special one and HE does not want anyone to give away their virginity because this is joining as one &"be fruitful and multiply" HE said. I do not hate anyone for the precious LORD loved even them but HE also wrote about what is right and what is wrong. HIS only desire is for us to LOVE HIM WITH OUR HEART, SOUL, & MINDS.THEN TO LOVE EACH OTHER AS HE LOVED US. THAT IS ALL AND IT WILL INCLUDE THE WHOLE TEN COMMANDMENTS WHEN WE DO THESE TWO THINGS.I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TELL YOU MORE BUT I PRAY YOU WILL SEEK FOR YOURSELF FOR HE IS A LOVING GOD BUT REQUIRES THIS KIND OF LOVE. FOR HEAVEN CAN NOT HAVE EVIL IN IT. ONE DAY WE WILL STAND BEFORE HIM AND BE JUDGED.I PRAY YOU CAN SAY THAT BECAUSE OF JESUS, I BELIEVE & HAVE ASKED FORGIVNESS. When we know Jesus (absolutely know) that HE died for us and HE also taught us how to be and then HE rose again! HE healed all that wanted healing-He NEVER said NO. But here is where faith comes in again---I can not go into more for I am not smart enough but there is a prophet named TB JOSHUA,(A Nigerian) but you will see this world is evil when you see what is in many people . Try watching it for a while, please. I think I need to stop now but may GOD show you the truth. Some say they know Abraham, yet they run around killing and there are many who SAY they are a Christian and are not but we are not to judge, GOD BE WITH YOU ALL AND IF I HAVE MADE ANY MISTAKES HERE, IT IS ME, NOT GOD FOR HE IS ABLE TO KEEP HIS WORD AND I PRAY I DO NOT MISS IT, FOR IT WILL BE MY FAULT.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
יהוה , the Alpha and the Omega, the Holy Trinity, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator, Ancient of Days, etc.

interesting.

As you become more acquainted with someone, you can usually drop the titles, ie Mr, Dr, Mrs, Your Magesty etc.... when you can call someone by their first name, you know you have developed a good relationship with them.

I hope that one day you can find that too.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
interesting.

When you come to know a person 'personally', whats the first thing you learn about them?

Their name? I agree with that answer. Though I would just say 'Jesus' or God, or the Godhead.

If you're trying to make some point here.....hope you've done your research.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Their name? I agree with that answer. Though I would just say 'Jesus' or God, or the Godhead.

If you're trying to make some point here.....hope you've done your research.

I think the point has been made loud and clear.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I think the point has been made loud and clear.
But what is God's name? It's not Jehovah the way you say it; that is a mispronunciation, caused by English taking letter-for-letter one possible German rendering of the Tetragrammaton, "Jehovah" or "Jehovah", which is actually supposed to be pronounced "Yehovah". It's the same reason we say "Jesus" instead of "Yesus".

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Your 'point' only applies to those who agree with your specific opinion. The rest of us are fine with different names and titles for God/Jesus. The bible is full of them.

yes there are many titles

But only one name. And we got it from the king James version bible.

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
[Quote from Gaychristian 101]
“Did you know the first man to get saved by grace in the New Testament was a gay man? Read about the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8.”

“Did you know Jesus never condemned gay people and never condemned gay partnerships?” “Jesus affirmed gay people in Matthew 19:11-12.”
[/quote]

Eunuchs are not gays. They are either castrated male or not castrated at all, but they are not gays like those that you have suggested. The word “Eunuch” frequently appears in the LXX and in secular Greek writings as a euphemism for high military and political officials, without necessarily suggesting emasculation.

In the case of the “Ethiopian eunuch” in Acts 8:27 he was probably a castrated one since he was

“an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure” -Acts 8:27

All males must be castrated in order for them to serve the queen of Ethiopia to avoid adulteries.

And this is what the Lord Jesus Christ was talking about, adulteries and divorce, in Matthew chapter 19.

You misinterpreted and mistranslated the very word of God just to suit your theology.

Are all priests and nuns gays and lesbians? They all practice celibacy and so as the eunuchs.

Gays and lesbians, do they practice celibacy? Just think! If you are a gay guy, would you marry a castrated gay guy? Imagine Gay bars full of castrated males. Yeah, they all practice celibacy.

Where did you get the idea that the eunuch in Acts chapter 8 was a gay guy and the “first man to get saved by grace”?

Did you know apostle Peter was a married man??

Mt 8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.

Why Peter did not practice celibacy? Was it because he was not gay?

You know the Bereans
“searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so” -Acts 17:11

Again, it's more of a personal thing than a religion thing. I've noticed some people of other religions can have more conservative beliefs in this regard as well for example.

I just wanted to say (since I can't edit my post?) that I missed a word in there! I meant that people of other religions can have more or less conservative beliefs in this (personal) regard as well - following the line of thinking that it's often about an individual's own personal opinions too. But I missed the "or less" part in there so it sounds like I'm saying that non-Christians are more conservative which is not what I think at all! Sorry about that, sometimes I think faster than I type and forget words, then miss them even when double-checking.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
interesting.

As you become more acquainted with someone, you can usually drop the titles, ie Mr, Dr, Mrs, Your Magesty etc.... when you can call someone by their first name, you know you have developed a good relationship with them.

I hope that one day you can find that too.

Oh, stop playing games. The best transliteration of יהוה is Yahweh, not Jehovah.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Eunuchs are not gays. They are either castrated male or not castrated at all, but they are not gays like those that you have suggested. The word “Eunuch” frequently appears in the LXX and in secular Greek writings as a euphemism for high military and political officials, without necessarily suggesting emasculation.

In the case of the “Ethiopian eunuch” in Acts 8:27 he was probably a castrated one since he was

“an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure” -Acts 8:27

All males must be castrated in order for them to serve the queen of Ethiopia to avoid adulteries.

And this is what the Lord Jesus Christ was talking about, adulteries and divorce, in Matthew chapter 19.

You misinterpreted and mistranslated the very word of God just to suit your theology.

Are all priests and nuns gays and lesbians? They all practice celibacy and so as the eunuchs.

Gays and lesbians, do they practice celibacy? Just think! If you are a gay guy, would you marry a castrated gay guy? Imagine Gay bars full of castrated males. Yeah, they all practice celibacy.

Where did you get the idea that the eunuch in Acts chapter 8 was a gay guy and the “first man to get saved by grace”?

Did you know apostle Peter was a married man??

Mt 8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.

Why Peter did not practice celibacy? Was it because he was not gay?

You know the Bereans
“searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so” -Acts 17:11

You completely missed the point, even though you allude to it in your very answer. "Eunuch" was a term that could include people we nowadays would call homosexual or even transgender. It was just a male-bodied person who wouldn't be having sex with a woman, whether or not they were castrated. It's quite interesting because it was yet another example of Jesus refuting Old Testament law: 23 “He whose testicles are crushed or whose male member is cut off shall not enter the assembly of the Lord." (Deuteronomy 23:1)

And there's many gay and lesbian priests, nuns and monks.

The Identity of Un-castrated Eunuchs - Transgender Christians

Last edited:

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
You completely missed the point, even though you allude to it in your very answer. "Eunuch" was a term that could include people we nowadays would call homosexual or even transgender.
Please read and understand:

The word “Eunuch” frequently appears in the LXX and in secular Greek writings as a euphemism for high military and political officials, without necessarily suggesting emasculation. They were not gays then and they are not gays today.

You are saying that in Matthew 19:11-12, the Lord Jesus Christ was talking about the gays of today when He mentioned the word “eunuch” during that time, but the fact is, He was really talking about the “eunuch” of that time, who were not “we nowadays would call homosexual or even transgender” at all, and this was long before [almost 2000 years ago] the gays of today use this term “eunuch” as “we nowadays would call homosexual or even transgender”. That is very nice. You are reversing the timeline.

You look for a word like “eunuch” in the bible and then mistranslated and misinterpreted it as “we nowadays would call homosexual or even transgender”

“Eunuchs” at that time dedicated themselves for the service of others like the queen of Ethiopia and as the Lord Jesus Christ said in that chapter “and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake.” -Matthew 19:12

The Lord Jesus Christ did not have in mind the word “eunuch” as “gay” or “we nowadays would call homosexual or even transgender”

Please revise your opinion.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Please read and understand:

The word “Eunuch” frequently appears in the LXX and in secular Greek writings as a euphemism for high military and political officials, without necessarily suggesting emasculation. They were not gays then and they are not gays today.

You are saying that in Matthew 19:11-12, the Lord Jesus Christ was talking about the gays of today when He mentioned the word “eunuch” during that time, but the fact is, He was really talking about the “eunuch” of that time, who were not “we nowadays would call homosexual or even transgender” at all, and this was long before [almost 2000 years ago] the gays of today use this term “eunuch” as “we nowadays would call homosexual or even transgender”. That is very nice. You are reversing the timeline.

You look for a word like “eunuch” in the bible and then mistranslated and misinterpreted it as “we nowadays would call homosexual or even transgender”

“Eunuchs” at that time dedicated themselves for the service of others like the queen of Ethiopia and as the Lord Jesus Christ said in that chapter “and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake.” -Matthew 19:12

The Lord Jesus Christ did not have in mind the word “eunuch” as “gay” or “we nowadays would call homosexual or even transgender”

Please revise your opinion.

You have not said one thing that would cause me to revise my opinion. You are getting caught up into semantic arguments. Of course they wouldn't have referred to themselves as "gay" as that's a modern Western socio-cultural concept. The concept of sexual orientation didn't exist back then. But some of them would have been homosexuals or transgender (which is what we'd call them today).

You're not getting my point at all.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
But what is God's name? It's not Jehovah the way you say it; that is a mispronunciation, caused by English taking letter-for-letter one possible German rendering of the Tetragrammaton, "Jehovah" or "Jehovah", which is actually supposed to be pronounced "Yehovah". It's the same reason we say "Jesus" instead of "Yesus".

Why do we call Yeshua, Jesus?

Shouldnt you be calling him Yesus? And every other bible name beginning with a Y is being translated into a J in english.... why can't this be done with Gods name?