• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some problems i found with adam and the afterlife

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground (body), and breathed into his nostrils the breath (spirit) of life; and man became a living soul (soul)". Genesis 2:7. It is not said that man became spirit and soul; but rather, that God inbreathed spirit, and man became a living soul.

I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

If you look at Genesis 2:7 adam does not have a soul.But in 1 Thessalonians 5:23 man DOES have a soul

I put this in Religions Q&A.But thought it might get more replies here.

I found all of this at this website: The Errors of Soul Sleep

I believe breath is another word for Spirit but I do agree that a cloned being is not really alive until it breathes. That does not eliminate the possibility that Adam had a Spirit but simply makes it less likely that it is stated in Genesis. However Adam was able to talk to God and that takes spiritual communication.

Muffled

Jesus in me
This is a typical misinterpretation of what the verse actually says with respect to everything else Solomon wrote. Do you think this verse contradicts Ecclesiastes 9: 5 & 10? Does God contradict himself? Would he inspire contradictory verses?

The spirit (not the soul) is what returns to God. Only in the resurrection can God restore the "breath" (spirit) of life in a new body.

I believe if it is a new body then it is re-incarnation.

Clear

Premium Member
The Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground (body), and breathed into his nostrils the breath (spirit) of life; and man became a living soul (soul)". Genesis 2:7. It is not said that man became spirit and soul; but rather, that God inbreathed spirit, and man became a living soul.

I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

If you look at Genesis 2:7 adam does not have a soul.But in 1 Thessalonians 5:23 man DOES have a soul

I found all of this at this website: The Errors of Soul Sleep

Regarding the O.P. Quote : "I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thessalonians 5:23)"

Hi @Frank Goad Just a quick observation on the quote in the O.P. (which changes the context of the controversy).

Your quote adds what it not there as well as leaving out out the first phrase entirely and it doesn’t indicate potential variable division of phrases.
The Greek actually says Αυτος δε ο θεος της ειρηνης αγιασαι υμας ολοτελεις και ολοκληρον υμων το πνβευμα και η ψυχη και το σωμα αμεμπτως εν τη παρουσια του κθριου ημων Ιησου Χριστου τηρηθειν.

1) ADDING UNAUTHENTIC LANGUAGE TO THE TEXT
The O.P. quote of Thess 5:23 adds the phrase “I pray”. This doesn’t appear in any Greek source text and is not part of any genuine text.

2) REGARDING VARIABLE DIVISIONS / PARATACTIC PHRASES

The first phrase is “May the God of Peace himself, sanctify you entirely…
The second phrase is “…and your spirit completely….”
The third phrase is “….and your soul
The forth phrase or second sentence (depending upon Johns meaning and sentence division by the translator) is : “[May] your body be held (protected/preserved/etc) blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ”.

The author of John uses many paratactic sentences. That is, he offers a verb and applies it to multiple subsequent phrases or sentences (thus the correct English translation is affected by the translators opinion as to whether the phrase is independent or not….).

IF this specific text is frankly paratactic then John is saying “May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely (ολοτελεις). And may he sanctify [paratactic] your spirit and your soul completely (ολοκληρο).” And may your body be held blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Thess 5:23.

The main point is that the division of phrases does not necessarily lump spirit, soul and body in the same sort of union the O.P. assumes.

3) THE EARLY JUDEO-CHRISTIAN USE OF THE TERMS "SPIRIT", "BODY" AND "SOUL".
I agree with the various posters who point out that the spirit is the entity that is intelligent and it is placed into a body. Together, this union of body and spirit is a “soul”. This is the model that is most common in the Early Judeo-Christian literature and, I think, it is the most rational and logical model.

In any case Frank Goad, I hope your spiritual journey is wonderful and satisfying as you attempt to work out these issues of text and faith.

Clear
ειτζφυτωω

Last edited:

WalterTrull

Godfella
I am not religious, but consider myself spiritual. I tend to relegate these types of statements to my "Holy Poop" folder. It gets us soo off track.