• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Some Feminists are Man-Haters"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I didn't say it was a double standard favoring men. Why can't women just wear suits and ties as well? I guess they can if they want to. I don't think they would get turned away if their nails weren't manicured or if they weren't in high heels, make-up, or jewelry. "Jackets and ties required" is a pretty specific directive, but I don't know of any place that requires women to wear make-up or high heels or jewelry. In most cases, women choose to do that voluntarily, not because of any written requirement or directive.
I see it as oppressive to both.
Women are expected to select from a bewildering variety of styles & colors, all meeting a high standard.
Men are expected to stay within easy but narrow standards, eschewing color except for a tiny flourish here & there.
Which is worse?
Feminists will see women as victims.
Men hate those damnable ties.
I say that "worse" is irrelevant....dress with an agenda to change standards for the better.
(It will fail, but you'll have more fun.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I see it as oppressive to both.
Women are expected to select from a bewildering variety of styles & colors, all meeting a high standard.
Men are expected to stay within easy but narrow standards, eschewing color except for a tiny flourish here & there.
Which is worse?
Feminists will see women as victims.
Men hate those damnable ties.
I say that "worse" is irrelevant....dress with an agenda to change standards for the better.
(It will fail, but you'll have more fun.)
Pretty much how I feel. We put way too much emphasis on clothing. Sure, it has its uses and purposes, such as helping to keep us warm, or help keep us clean while doing a dirty job, but there is really not single useful reason or purpose to follow fashion, know all those designers, or wear jeans that cost hundreds of dollars. Suits and ties are the uniform of those who want power and force other men to affirm the status quo of power and conformity, and the standards imposed on women would be considered extreme vanity and narcissism to voluntarily uphold such standards.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Pretty much how I feel. We put way too much emphasis on clothing. Sure, it has its uses and purposes, such as helping to keep us warm, or help keep us clean while doing a dirty job, but there is really not single useful reason or purpose to follow fashion, know all those designers, or wear jeans that cost hundreds of dollars. Suits and ties are the uniform of those who want power and force other men to affirm the status quo of power and conformity, and the standards imposed on women would be considered extreme vanity and narcissism to voluntarily uphold such standards.
I like putting a lot of emphasis on clothing.
I just prefer something very different, & to see more variety.
When someone chooses just the right shade of purple sox to match their hair, that is shibumi.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I just get dressed. Truth be told, most of my clothes were gifts, and over the past several years I've only bought my undies, maybe about half of my socks, and maybe two or three shirts.
I recommend listening to what kind of clothing calls to you.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sorry but I'm getting too tired and emotionally/mentally drained in this thread and am not very good at debating with people and thinking out my thoughts. I don't seem to be doing any good in this thread and as such I'm going to take my leave of absence after this post. I'm going to just leave you with these links and let other people speak on my behalf. And, for the record, pointing out privileges isn't about making people of any type victims whether it's with race or gender. See the links for why. The last one is especially good about it. I'm sorry but I'm just going to take my leave now.

http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person (this one is great because it specifically addresses your first post about a white homeless man so I highly recommend that one for you)

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...h_our_conversation_about_white_privilege.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/what-is-white-privilege-1.2852643

http://www.timwise.org/f-a-q-s/ (this guy is fantastic about the issue of white people and racism. He talks to people about the issue in a way that is understanding and trying to just show people what it's about)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristen-howerton/white-privilege-doesnt-me_b_5296914.html

As far as your gender goes I'm sorry for not seeing it at the time. My apologies. My post still stands about the issue, however, and I just point to the links. Now, I'm sorry but for my own well being I'm going to have to take a leave. I don't do debating (I like talking to people) because I'm just not good at it and don't have the mental skills to do that good at it. I know I'm just making things worse for myself so I'll say see you around and I hope you read the links if you are interested on my view of the issue.

I apologize too. Both for the lateness of my reply (technical issues and life getting in the way.) And my own hostility towards you. This debate just confuses and frustrates me. Because while there is good intentions on both sides of this, I see both sides as being rather hypocritical. Much of lamentations of the "SJWs" seems rather inane and damaging to actual legitimate race relations to me. This is not helped by the media tbh. Journalistic standards and integrity seem to fly out of the door when discussing such matters these days. Le sigh

Last edited: