• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soldiers are....Heroes ??

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.
Why do we view soldiers as Heroes? I keep seeing comments like "God Bless, Thank you for protecting us. You're a true hero" on pictures of Soldiers on Facebook.

How is it that we view our soldiers as Heroes and the Countries we infiltrate as Terrorists? (I say this as North Americans)

Just something I have been pondering, what are your thoughts?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Why do we view soldiers as Heroes? I keep seeing comments like "God Bless, Thank you for protecting us. You're a true hero" on pictures of Soldiers on Facebook.

How is it that we view our soldiers as Heroes and the Countries we infiltrate as Terrorists? (I say this as North Americans)

Soldiers are heroes because they are putting their lives on the line to protect the Constitution of the United States.

What I don't think is heroic is the misuse of these soldiers who have taken an oath to protect our Constitution and to drop them in countries where we have no business being in.

freethinker44

People throw the word hero around too much. It cheapens it. To me, being a hero means doing something heroic. Simply being in the military doesn't make you a hero.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

Because the word "hero", just like the word "terrorist" are so subjective that when they are misused no one can really say for sure that they are being misused.
Both words are pretty much meaningless outside the emotional reactions they elicit.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I'd like to drop the OP in the middle of a warzone for a few days and see if he still asks that question. :magic:

McBell

I think I'd like to drop the OP in the middle of a warzone for a few days and see if he still asks that question. :magic:
Ok, drop me in the middle of a war zone and I would still ask the same question.

Did you perhaps have a point of some sort?
cause if you did, I certainly missed it.

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.
Define: Terrorism, look at our "Heroes" in third world countries...

Why not call people who do more than just carry a gun around, heroes? Such as shift workers in hospitals like Doctors and Nurses or how about the Scientists in the lab who work countless hours to develop new cures and products to keep our health in tact or even the Firefighters who breathe in smoke or the paramedics..

I am just saying, not to be stereotypical but take someone who half ***** highschool, throw them in a third world country with oil refineries and give them a gun...and they are classified as heroes. Give them a great pension and discounts galore. Why not do this with Scientists and Health Workers??

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.

I am not following?

What war zone? Why do we need war?? You assume that I cannot kill people when handed a weapon? Assuming that primitive actions would be my first motive when thrown in a Third world nation. And even if I did, would that be heroic?

McBell

Why not call people who do more than just carry a gun around, heroes? Such as shift workers in hospitals like Doctors and Nurses or how about the Scientists in the lab who work countless hours to develop new cures and products to keep our health in tact or even the Firefighters who breathe in smoke or the paramedics..
I suspect it is spill over from schools these days giving all participants a trophy.
I mean, you do not want to use the word loser because the oversensitive and uber fragile egos of kids these days might make them think they cannot all be multibillionaire astronaut presidents.

I am just saying, not to be stereotypical but take someone who half ***** highschool, throw them in a third world country with oil refineries and give them a gun...and they are classified as heroes. Give them a great pension and discounts galore. Why not do this with Scientists and Health Workers??
Great pensions and discounts galore?
What country are you in?
Cause I can tell you that US soldiers do not get anything that would be considered a "great pension" or "discounts galore".

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.
Perhaps I am unsure of the discounts but my friends who are in the Military in America, got huge discounts on their cars and housing units. Perhaps I am wrong about that point but regardless, my main points still stand.

I don't understand why we value Barbaric Ways more than Intelligent Humanism.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not a question of valuing "barbaric ways" (and I object to that characterization) more than "intelligent humanism" (I also object to that characterization).

Go to a warzone and face the real violence, real fear, and constant stress. Then come back and tell me that the strength of character and discipline that enables soldiers to survive that kind of hardship (both physically and mentally) isn't heroic.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Go to a warzone and face the real violence, real fear, and constant stress. Then come back and tell me that the strength of character and discipline that enables soldiers to survive that kind of hardship (both physically and mentally) isn't heroic.

So would you say that soldiers on both sides of a conflict are heroic?

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.
It's not a question of valuing "barbaric ways" (and I object to that characterization) more than "intelligent humanism" (I also object to that characterization).

What a load of poop.

You're telling me, that going to a third world country with your squad. Equipped most likely with 3 armed hummers, M-16/M4 Rifles, Grenades, Tanks, RPG etc..and going through broken homes in a broken world and coming out alive is heroic??

Are you serious? That is absolutely insane. Nobody is fighting for freedom, its all about Oil and Money. This ideology that America has is poision to the world. Its poision to itself. War and Religion that pretty much sums up America. Self pitty is a word that comes up frequently when I think of America, the strong and the brave..yet who's Economy is garbage, Poverty high, Obesity and full of degenerates who don't understand life.

Come on Johnny, pass grade 12 and join the army! Youl get a rifle and be able to kill those Terrorists on their own soil Legally!! Even if they don't have a gun, just say they gave you a funny look. Throw their dog off a cliff too, thatl be funny. Then come home and get crowned a hero, you brave young man!

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Of course these folks are heroes in their own right, but not many of these heroes are asked to go into an area where loosing your life or limbs is an everyday reality. And not many of these hometown heroes are asked to kill other armed people without questioning or debating whether the person faced fits the definition of an "enemy" by those of us sitting comfortably in front of our computers. And, although the rescuers and medical personnel are to be applauded, I doubt if many of them go into old age living with vivid memories of children being blown apart simply because the were caught in the crossfire of some insane fire fight. Heroes? Maybe not, but I can't think of a better term.

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.
Of course these folks are heroes in their own right, but not many of these heroes are asked to go into an area where loosing your life or limbs is an everyday reality. And not many of these hometown heroes are asked to kill other armed people without questioning or debating whether the person faced fits the definition of an "enemy" by those of us sitting comfortably in front of our computers. And, although the rescuers and medical personnel are to be applauded, I doubt if many of them go into old age living with vivid memories of children being blown apart simply because the were caught in the crossfire of some insane fire fight. Heroes? Maybe not, but I can't think of a better term.

Yes, most of the soldiers (atleast that I have spoken to) do not join a movement such as an army to become a paraplegic. Most of the people I know who join the army, do it because either their family is oriented with militant roots or because they don't have enough drive to make it in the real world. I have yet to meet one that has said "I am doing it because I want to help people out (that hasn't been Canadian)."

They don't deserve to be called heroes, they are doing It for a paycheck and the ability to hold a rifle. Its sad that we are more comfortable as a nation to see two men holding rifles instead of holding hands.

Anybody holding a gun (besides police) will never be a hero in my eyes, sorry. Police Officers deserve the title more. They are actually doing something productive and should be called Heroes not pigs.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
[q

Anybody holding a gun (besides police) will never be a hero in my eyes, sorry. Police Officers deserve the title more. They are actually doing something productive and should be called Heroes not pigs.
[/QUOTE]

Have you met many police officers that do what they do for free. Did it occur to you that their names appear of a paycheck every so often? How many police forces require much more than a high school diploma as a hiring requirement?

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.
I don't know too many Police Officers that don't have a College/University education, aren't bilingual and don't have a background in Criminology and Law (Perhaps it is different in America)

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be a Police Officer for free, their life is on the line every second. Difference being between a Soldier and a Cop is that the Cop is protecting Civilians against an outside force. Our Mlitaries infiltrate. Or I should say..Americans.