• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So Who Are The Adults Pulling The Strings of the Child Climate Change Protests?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I disagree.
You are demonstrably wrong, given that we are talking about her and the issues related to climate change at this very moment.

It who is the spokesperson and what they say. In this case repeating what a UN report already told members of the UN is redundant

That isn't the same. Greta is talking to the UN which already had a report in detail she could barely get right in a 5 min speech.

Because she is a child that's why. Nothing she said is new.

Speak for your own nation. There is no political party in Canada that acts like the GOP or is against the goals set by previous governments. Liberals, NDP and PC are all aiming for the same goal but with some different methods (tax conflict) The Greens are aiming for a goal 50% above the current goal held by the 3 other parties.

Politicians are not going to listen to a 16 year old. Get real

My points are not really about the speech. Heck I barely said a word about the context of it. FYI she couldn't even get the mass extinction state right. This would be my first criticism about the context specifically.

shmogie

We have no choice but to do something.
All of these talking points are meaningless. Instead of making excuses about why it's too hard, or why other countries aren't pulling their weight or whatever, how about instead, leading by setting the example?
We have no choice but to do something. No matter how much it costs. We went to the moon for goodness sakes; we are equipped to deal with this problem, we just need the will power.
They are valid questions, that you can´t answer.

We are back to, we have to do something.

Amazing. Looking at the problem analytically becomes making excuses. How do you think anything gets done ?

If you are going to buy that coveted electric car, don´t you look at cost versus benefit, compare prices, determine if it really meets your needs ?

Or do you go to the first dealer and say ¨ I don´t care what it costs, I will borrow whatever it takes. I am not sure if itś range is too limited for me, I want it ! , I am not even sure if can make the monthly payments , I want it !¨ ?

So, we need to do something.

The climate change solution is, we have to do something.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
They are valid questions, that you can´t answer.

We are back to, we have to do something.

Amazing. Looking at the problem analytically becomes making excuses. How do you think anything gets done ?

If you are going to buy that coveted electric car, don´t you look at cost versus benefit, compare prices, determine if it really meets your needs ?

Or do you go to the first dealer and say ¨ I don´t care what it costs, I will borrow whatever it takes. I am not sure if itś range is too limited for me, I want it ! , I am not even sure if can make the monthly payments , I want it !¨ ?

So, we need to do something.

The climate change solution is, we have to do something.
No, the excuse you made was some other people aren't doing something so why should we bother doing anything. That's an excuse. And whataboutism.

We're not talking about buying a car. We're talking about saving the only planet we have to live on. There are no alternatives. There are no other planets to live on. We have no choice.
All this talk about how much this or that costs pales in comparison to the cost of doing nothing.
That's my point.

shmogie

No, the excuse you made was some other people aren't doing something so why should we bother doing anything. That's an excuse. And whataboutism.

We're not talking about buying a car. We're talking about saving the only planet we have to live on. There are no alternatives. There are no other planets to live on. We have no choice.
All this talk about how much this or that costs pales in comparison to the cost of doing nothing.
That's my point.
No, I did not say that we should do nothing because others aren´t. I asked what good would it do if the US crashed it´s economy, and and the biggest polluters, and many others do nothing ?

So, critical analysis has a new political name, whataboutism, oooooooooooooh. Bad.

Just do something, the planet is at stake.

Do what ?, I don´t know, by whom? , none of your business, just do something. Are we getting the biggest bang for the buck ? Unimportant, just do something ? Where are we going to get the money ? you can´t ask questions like that, do something ! Will it be effective ? The worst question, just do something !

What an organised preplanned, well financed, well thought out way to ameliorate a serious problem.

Don´t be a whatabouter, just do something.

I wonder how many ostriches have their heads down this hole ?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No, I did not say that we should do nothing because others aren´t. I asked what good would it do if the US crashed it´s economy, and and the biggest polluters, and many others do nothing ?

So, critical analysis has a new political name, whataboutism, oooooooooooooh. Bad.
I don't regard that as political analysis. I regard it as an excuse used to shirk responsibility to someone else in order to avoid having to do anything at all.

So the US economy crashes, and China's skyrockets. All of that means absolutely nothing if there is no planet to live on. It's not as though China isn't going to be effected as climate change continues, just because they failed to acknowledge it.
Just do something, the planet is at stake.

Do what ?, I don´t know, by whom? , none of your business, just do something. Are we getting the biggest bang for the buck ? Unimportant, just do something ? Where are we going to get the money ? you can´t ask questions like that, do something ! Will it be effective ? The worst question, just do something !

What an organised preplanned, well financed, well thought out way to ameliorate a serious problem.

Don´t be a whatabouter, just do something.

I wonder how many ostriches have their heads down this hole ?
Yes, do something. Don't sit on our hands saying "Well India isn't doing anything so what's the point." Let's lead by example and perhaps others will follow.

I leave the "something" up to educated people who know what they're talking about and have viable solutions.

Notanumber

A Free Man
While I wouldn't be quite so black and white, I'd agree that flying should cost MUCH, MUCH more than it does. We should be paying the true costs not the artificial, unsustainable costs, for non-renewables.

If it wouldn’t be quite so black and white, who are those that would be allowed to fly and who are the ones that would not?

Who decides or would it be based on your wealth and status?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
If it wouldn’t be quite so black and white, who are those that would be allowed to fly and who are the ones that would not?

Who decides or would it be based on your wealth and status?

Well we can ask the same questions of capitalist systems in general. Who gets the mansion? Who gets to have a car?

shmogie

I don't regard that as political analysis. I regard it as an excuse used to shirk responsibility to someone else in order to avoid having to do anything at all.

So the US economy crashes, and China's skyrockets. All of that means absolutely nothing if there is no planet to live on. It's not as though China isn't going to be effected as climate change continues, just because they failed to acknowledge it.

Yes, do something. Don't sit on our hands saying "Well India isn't doing anything so what's the point." Let's lead by example and perhaps others will follow.

I leave the "something" up to educated people who know what they're talking about and have viable solutions.
Sigh, no critical analysis required for the biggest project in human history. Just do something.

Dole out trillions, to educated people who know what they are talking about, and let them go.

No planning, no coordination, no master plan, no idea of what will work or not, no watchdog for fraud and abuse, no peer review of proposals

Just let the educated people do something. Wonderful, and so effective.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's a joke. They're indoctrinating the kids. These kids know nothing other than what they've been told.
I find it interesting that today's "conservatives" are so convinced of this: that people only know what they've been taught, and that indoctrination is always both the cause and the solution for what other people think and believe to be true. Certainly religious conservatives believe this. And so do many political conservatives, apparently.

So why do these neo-conservatives assume that no one thinks or learns anything of their own volition? That humans don't have minds of their own?

Utah Philips said that talking to a conservative is like opening a refrigerator: all you're going to find inside them is what was put there by their owners. Is this really a trait of conservatism? Maybe so.

74x12

I find it interesting that today's "conservatives" are so convinced of this: that people only know what they've been taught, and that indoctrination is always both the cause and the solution for what other people think and believe to be true. Certainly religious conservatives believe this. And so do many political conservatives, apparently.

So why do these neo-conservatives assume that no one thinks or learns anything of their own volition? That humans don't have minds of their own?

Utah Philips said that talking to a conservative is like opening a refrigerator: all you're going to find inside them is what was put there by their owners. Is this really a trait of conservatism? Maybe so.
Go ahead and listen to her. Maybe she actually does know more than you. I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Audie

Veteran Member

Consider this yours your second "winner" for this post.