• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what about hell?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
God would NEVER allow anyone to be tortured literally forever in some torture chamber. The idea of the wicked or faithless people being tortured forever literally is not indicative of a God of love. It is a misinterpretation of the scriptures. And a sad one, too. Perhaps at @InChrist also.

YoursTrue

I'm now interested to count how many times Jesus mentions "eternal damnation" compared to Paul.
Eternal damnation, no matter who mentions it, does NOT mean eternal torture while conscious in some fiery lake. Even before I believed in God I knew that to be an outright junk teaching. And misunderstanding of the Bible.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Quite aware it mostly comes from Dante's poem and Puritan imagination. Still, the study (who said it more) is related to the claim that Jesus said it the most; an interesting study, little more. About the same as the time I combed through the bible counting all the pronoun usage to throw it in Lauren Boebert's face.

PruePhillip

I do not believe that God tortures anyone forever as some would believe about hell (or hellfire).

Eternal damnation, no matter who mentions it, does NOT mean eternal torture while conscious in some fiery lake. Even before I believed in God I knew that to be an outright junk teaching. And misunderstanding of the Bible.

I like what someone said once, 'God means what he says.' And yes, the bible says there's a hell. I am sure some imagery is symbolic (ie darkness or fire - contradictory ideas really) but there's a hell if there's a heaven. And this hell is, fundamentally, separation from God. Also, Jesus spoke of hell as being where the worm never turns and the thirst is never quenched. I take that as meaning if you are happy to live out your life with your human nature then you will spend eternity with that nature, and no way to satisfy yourself with the 'vices' you once boasted about.

InChrist

Free4ever
God would NEVER allow anyone to be tortured literally forever in some torture chamber. The idea of the wicked or faithless people being tortured forever literally is not indicative of a God of love. It is a misinterpretation of the scriptures. And a sad one, too. Perhaps at @InChrist also.
True; God does not torture anyone. God is the Source of life, love, goodness, beauty, joy, etc. The sad reality is that those who choose to reject God and spend eternity separated from God will suffer their own self-inflicted torment. It truly is sad because God offers an eternal life of love and joy to everyone, yet forces no one to live in His Presence against their will.

YoursTrue

The bible is interpreted thousands of ways and everyone thinks they have the special esoteric knowledge to interpret it correctly.
it's true, and it's kind of like Paul's experience -- he was accosted with a vision. I did not have a vision, but I realize it was from God that introduced me to something I could latch onto. Unlike Paul, however, I declared before I began to believe, that there was no God, it was all a crock. Paul was a zealous Jew and persecuted those who believed in Jesus. I was not a zealous anything except confused. Now I know better. And I do agree with you that many believe they have the top tier of religious belief -- I also believe that God is going to make the deciding factor about beliefs, also practices.

YoursTrue

True; God does not torture anyone. God is the Source of life, love, goodness, beauty, joy, etc. The sad reality is that those who choose to reject God and spend eternity separated from God will suffer their own self-inflicted torment. It truly is sad because God offers an eternal life of love and joy to everyone, yet forces no one to live in His Presence against their will.
Again -- when a person is dead he is not alive or conscious of anything. He's dead. Just like God told Adam, you came from the dust (zilch, nothing kind of) and you're going to go back to the dust (nothing, zilch). God never told Adam he would be tortured in some place called hell.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
it's true, and it's kind of like Paul's experience -- he was accosted with a vision. I did not have a vision, but I realize it was from God that introduced me to something I could latch onto. Unlike Paul, however, I declared before I began to believe, that there was no God, it was all a crock. Paul was a zealous Jew and persecuted those who believed in Jesus. I was not a zealous anything except confused. Now I know better. And I do agree with you that many believe they have the top tier of religious belief -- I also believe that God is going to make the deciding factor about beliefs, also practices.

And I don't believe you any more (or less) than the numerous others who have told me they are the ones who know the real truth.

YoursTrue

And I don't believe you any more (or less) than the numerous others who have told me they are the ones who know the real truth.
I understand. Many that Paul spoke to among his own people didn't believe him either.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Recent discussions make me wonder what various persons believe about hell (or hellfire). Do you think a loving person would literally torture anyone forever as some would believe about hell (or hellfire)? (also for @Trailblazer )
No, of course not.

I do not believe in a hell that is not a part of this world, in case you are wondering.

InChrist

Free4ever
Again -- when a person is dead he is not alive or conscious of anything. He's dead. Just like God told Adam, you came from the dust (zilch, nothing kind of) and you're going to go back to the dust (nothing, zilch). God never told Adam he would be tortured in some place called hell.
That’s not the teaching of the scriptures, which show that though the body dies, the the spirit of the person God has breathed life into lives eternally. Either, with God or separated from God forever. To be separated from God will be awful.

…So it was that the beggar died, and was not carried by the angels toAbraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.”
Luke 16:22-24

What does it mean that hell is eternal separation from God? | GotQuestions.org

YoursTrue

That’s not the teaching of the scriptures, which show that though the body dies, the the spirit of the person God has breathed life into lives eternally. Either, with God or separated from God forever. To be separated from God will be awful.

…So it was that the beggar died, and was not carried by the angels toAbraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.”
Luke 16:22-24

What does it mean that hell is eternal separation from God? | GotQuestions.org
It was an illustration about those who taught Jesus was NOT the son of God who came from heaven. Yes, well have a nice evening.

Madmogwai

Madmogwai
Many Buddhist believe there are levels of Hell.
You go to one of the plains of Hell and can work your way up and out of Hell and into the Heavenly realms.
Even at the highest Heavenly Realms you can fall from Grace and slide back down.

YoursTrue

Many Buddhist believe there are levels of Hell.
You go to one of the plains of Hell and can work your way up and out of Hell and into the Heavenly realms.
Even at the highest Heavenly Realms you can fall from Grace and slide back down.
I do believe the Bible has God's thoughts in it and He can reach the heart of whomever He wants to and those who desire to know Him.