• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what about hell?

cataway

The original words translated as “hell” in some older Bible translations (Hebrew, “Sheol”; Greek, “Hades”) basically refer to “the Grave,” that is, the common grave of mankind. The Bible shows that people in “the Grave” are in a state of nonexistence.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
the Pagon's have all sorts of beliefs as to what hell is .does it instill fear into you ? likely why its done
I believe that all souls are immortal so everyone lives forever in the spiritual world.
Some souls go to heaven and some go to hell, but hell is not a place, it is a state of the soul.
Heaven is nearness to God and hell is distance from God and attachment to selfish desires.

cataway

So you believe that dead bodies rise from their graves and somehow come back to life?
I hope you know that there is nothing in the Bible that says that, yet millions of Christians believe that since that is what they have been taught. There is also nothing in the Bible that says that anyone is going to live forever on this earth.

Our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God which is in Heaven. Dead bodies cannot inherit what will last forever, Heaven. Our physical bodies will die and we will be raised (resurrected) as spiritual bodies that will be suited to go to Heaven and live forever. That is what the following verses say.

1 Corinthians 15:40-54 New Living Translation

40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.

44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.

50 What I am saying, dear brothers and sisters, is that our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever.

51 But let me reveal to you a wonderful secret. We will not all die, but we will all be transformed!

54 Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die,[c] this Scripture will be fulfilled: “Death is swallowed up in victory.[d]

Read full chapter
you really have not really sat down and read the bible ,now have you ?

cataway

In the Bible, the word translated as “resurrection” comes from the Greek a·naʹsta·sis, which means “raising up” or “standing up again.” A person who is resurrected is raised up from death and restored to life as the person he was before.—1 Corinthians 15:12, 13.

cataway

“Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out.”—JOHN 5:28, 29

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The original words translated as “hell” in some older Bible translations (Hebrew, “Sheol”; Greek, “Hades”) basically refer to “the Grave,” that is, the common grave of mankind. The Bible shows that people in “the Grave” are in a state of nonexistence.
Their bodies are in a state of nonexistence since the body is mortal, but their spirit (soul) continues to exist.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was, and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

What is meant by the resurrection is that when our body dies, our spirit (soul) is resurrected and passes from one world into another. After our spirit is resurrected it continues to live forever in another form, a spiritual body.

cataway

Their bodies are in a state of nonexistence since the body is mortal, but their spirit (soul) continues to exist.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was, and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

What is meant by the resurrection is that when our body dies, our spirit (soul) is resurrected and passes from one world into another. After our spirit is resurrected it continues to live forever in another form, a spiritual body.
Ezekiel 18:20-24 King James Version 20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him"

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In the Bible, the word translated as “resurrection” comes from the Greek a·naʹsta·sis, which means “raising up” or “standing up again.” A person who is resurrected is raised up from death and restored to life as the person he was before.—1 Corinthians 15:12, 13.
Raised up from death and brought back to life as a spiritual body.

1 Corinthians 15:44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.

1 Corinthians 15:12-13

12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:

The spiritually dead are resurrected to spiritual life. Those verses have nothing to do with the physical body.

Won’t the Dead Rise Again?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
“Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out.”—JOHN 5:28, 29
Those verses have nothing to do with physical bodies coming out of their graves.

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Those who are in their graves of ignorance of Christ will come forth, and those who have done good, will be resurrected to spiritual life, which is eternal life. Those who have done evil, when their souls leave their bodies, their souls will be resurrected to hell, which is lack of spiritual life.

cataway

Raised up from death and brought back to life as a spiritual body.

1 Corinthians 15:44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.

1 Corinthians 15:12-13

12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:

The spiritually dead are resurrected to spiritual life. Those verses have nothing to do with the physical body.

Won’t the Dead Rise Again?
what about Lazarus?
John 11:39-45
39 Jesus said: “Take the stone away.” Martha, the sister of the deceased, said to him: “Lord, by now he must smell, for it has been four days.” 40 Jesus said to her: “Did I not tell you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?”a 41 So they took the stone away. Then Jesus raised his eyes heavenwardb and said: “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42 True, I knew that you always hear me; but I spoke on account of the crowd standing around, so that they may believe that you sent me.”c 43 When he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice: “Lazʹa·rus, come out!”d 44 The man who had been dead came out with his feet and hands bound with wrappings, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them: “Free him and let him go.”45 Therefore, many of the Jews who had come to Mary and who saw what he did put faith in him,e

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
ACTS 24:15.
Acts 24:15
15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

Resurrection of the spiritually dead, not resurrection of the physically dead.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
what about Lazarus?
Below is the spiritual interpretation, as opposed to the literal interpretation, of the Lazarus resurrection ‘story.’

Jesus did not say that the body of Lazarus would rise again. He said rise: 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”

Then apparently Martha assumed Jesus meant the body: 24 Martha said to Him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

Then Jesus said that He was the resurrection and the life and that whoever believes in Him will never die.
He was talking about the eternal life of the soul, NOT the eternal life of the physical body.

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

The Martha said she believed in Jesus and that He was the Son of God: 27 She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

When Jesus said: 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die He was referring to spiritual death, not physical death, because eventually everyone dies physically.

The following verses congruent with John 11:25-26 refer to the eternal life of the soul, not the eternal life of the body.

John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

cataway

Acts 24:15
15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

Resurrection of the spiritually dead, not resurrection of the physically dead.
Lazarus was dead

cataway

Below is the spiritual interpretation, as opposed to the literal interpretation, of the Lazarus resurrection ‘story.’

Jesus did not say that the body of Lazarus would rise again. He said rise: 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”

Then apparently Martha assumed Jesus meant the body: 24 Martha said to Him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

Then Jesus said that He was the resurrection and the life and that whoever believes in Him will never die.
He was talking about the eternal life of the soul, NOT the eternal life of the physical body.

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

The Martha said she believed in Jesus and that He was the Son of God: 27 She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

When Jesus said: 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die He was referring to spiritual death, not physical death, because eventually everyone dies physically.

The following verses congruent with John 11:25-26 refer to the eternal life of the soul, not the eternal life of the body.

John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
ah you speak of life as you are now, and if at all possible you would like to keep on living . if dead you are not much good to us

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
ah you speak of life as you are now, and if at all possible you would like to keep on living . if dead you are not much good to us
I sure as hell (pardon the pun) would not want to go on living forever in my physical body....
I will be very happy to divest myself of my physical body and put on a new attire, a spiritual body.

Once my physical body is dead, I will go to heaven where I will live forever in a spiritual body and I will continue my work. Those who are in heaven can even help people who are here on earth.

cataway

I sure as hell (pardon the pun) would not want to go on living forever in my physical body....
I will be very happy to divest myself of my physical body and put on a new attire, a spiritual body.

Once my physical body is dead, I will go to heaven where I will live forever in a spiritual body and I will continue my work. Those who are in heaven can even help people who are here on earth.
once you die there is the promise of the resurrection ,you live again. and even become young as you once were .its all in the bible .if you like there is a way to have a personal bible study in your home .its free

cataway

you really dont want to die . what you want is perfect health . what makes you think God cant do that ?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

And when that day comes, if you find yourself in a predicament and unable to cross over into the spirit realm, come find me, and I will help you cross over. I don't think that you will have a problem locating me if you ask around, as some earthbound spirits remembered me and asked for me by name before I helped them cross over. I'd like to continue helping earthbound spirits once I've crossed over.