• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So just stop it, NOW!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Legal age you can get married to be raised in England and Wales

Oh dear .. it will be sex next .. so all you 16/17-year-olds had better STOP DOING IT! :D

The minimum legal age to get married in England and Wales is to be raised to 18, it has been reported. At present, sixteen-year-olds can marry if they have their parents’ consent. Campaigners have argued that this facilitates sexual abuse with young women forced to wed against their will. Former chancellor Sajid Javid is introducing a private member’s bill next week that will make it illegal for anyone to marry below the age of 18. Justice ministers have indicated to him that they will back the bill in House of Commons and it is expected get cross-party support.

Perhaps a bit drastic, but no doubt there are many who will be pressured into marriage by their parents, even in the UK.

Mr Javid said he viewed 16-year-olds being forced to marry as ‘child abuse’. He told The Times: ‘The British government is working tirelessly to end child marriage in the developing world and yet our own laws are permitting child marriage by the back door. Indeed, when Bangladesh lowered the legal age of marriage from 18 to 16, ministers there were said to have directly pointed to our laws to justify their move. It’s clear that we must legislate to close this loophole so that vulnerable children cannot be pushed into such serious and life-changing commitments before they are ready.’ Previous attempts by backbench MPs to raise the legal age of marriage to 18 have failed. Mr Javid said the government had not confirmed that they’ll be supporting his bill but he is optimistic they will. The senior backbencher, who is of Pakistani heritage, said arranged teenage marriages could be exploited by foreign nationals to get British citizenship. He said he had witnessed the practice in his own South Asian community when he was growing up. ‘I’ve seen this myself in the community I was raised in, young girls expected to enter into marriage far before they were ready to with painful consequences,’ he said. ‘Let’s call this what it is: child abuse.’ The Ministry of Justice has been contacted for comment.

Is this a step too far though, or about time?

Last edited:

MikeF

Premium Member

Oh dear .. it will be sex next .. so all you 16/17-year-olds had better STOP DOING IT! :oops:

The minimum legal age to get married in England and Wales is to be raised to 18, it has been reported. At present, sixteen-year-olds can marry if they have their parents’ consent. Campaigners have argued that this facilitates sexual abuse with young women forced to wed against their will. Former chancellor Sajid Javid is introducing a private member’s bill next week that will make it illegal for anyone to marry below the age of 18. Justice ministers have indicated to him that they will back the bill in House of Commons and it is expected get cross-party support.

Perhaps a bit drastic, but no doubt there are many who will be pressured into marriage by their parents, even in the UK.

Mr Javid said he viewed 16-year-olds being forced to marry as ‘child abuse’. He told The Times: ‘The British government is working tirelessly to end child marriage in the developing world and yet our own laws are permitting child marriage by the back door. Indeed, when Bangladesh lowered the legal age of marriage from 18 to 16, ministers there were said to have directly pointed to our laws to justify their move. It’s clear that we must legislate to close this loophole so that vulnerable children cannot be pushed into such serious and life-changing commitments before they are ready.’ Previous attempts by backbench MPs to raise the legal age of marriage to 18 have failed. Mr Javid said the government had not confirmed that they’ll be supporting his bill but he is optimistic they will. The senior backbencher, who is of Pakistani heritage, said arranged teenage marriages could be exploited by foreign nationals to get British citizenship. He said he had witnessed the practice in his own South Asian community when he was growing up. ‘I’ve seen this myself in the community I was raised in, young girls expected to enter into marriage far before they were ready to with painful consequences,’ he said. ‘Let’s call this what it is: child abuse.’ The Ministry of Justice has been contacted for comment.

You seem to be conflating the act of having sex with marriage, unless it is your position that no one should be allowed to have sex unless they are legally wed to each other.

What minimum age are you advocating for marriage?

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You seem to be conflating the act of having sex with marriage., unless it is your position that no one should be allowed to have sex unless they are legally wed to each other.

What minimum age are you advocating for marriage?
I fear you misjudged my post (I changed the emoji to suit). I have no iron in this fire (so don't know what age would be appropriate) - just that perhaps it might be the wrong reaction to a problem that does seem to exist. I await what others might say about their freedoms. Given that the trend seems to be to make 18 the age between childhood and adulthood - and perhaps going against much evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Oh dear .. it will be sex next .. so all you 16/17-year-olds had better STOP DOING IT! :D

I thought the reason they had lower marriage ages was in cases of teenage pregnancy, so they could have a shotgun wedding. But I guess shotgun weddings are also illegal.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Well, one has to wonder why a person woud be considered old enough and mature enough to make a decision presumably affecting the rest of their life, while being considered neither old or mature enough to make a decision about whether to enjoy a sip of beer.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I thought the reason they had lower marriage ages was in cases of teenage pregnancy, so they could have a shotgun wedding. But I guess shotgun weddings are also illegal.
Well, as the article mentioned, other countries often have an age of 18 for marriage, but where illegal marriages frequently take place, and it seems a bit incongruous to have this happen in the UK if any immigrants are coming here to arrange such marriages. I suppose it has always been assumed that marriages after the age of 16 (in the UK) were with the full consent of the couple being married and with no coercion from other parties. Arranged marriages from cultural beliefs might go against this.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Having a lower legal age for sexual consent than marriage makes absolutely no sense. Keep it the way it is imo.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I agree, 18 is the correct minimum age for marriage. Boys should be given training by elder women. That way the under age girls will be a bit safer. Just an idea for discussion.

Reactions: Vee

Vee

Premium Member

I actually think it's not enough. People shouldn't be allowed to marry until they prove they're mature enough to handle the house chores, bills and any children that might come out of that union. I know it's not going to happen, but that's my view anyway.
18 is a lot better than 16, although still quite young, but it's a step.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Families tend to be small these days, one or two parents only. Under such conditions it makes sense to move the minimum age for marriage up.

Law is a practice and takes into account current factors such as whether extended families are common.

If families were large with lots of people living together, supporting one another as in olden days then you could move the marriage age down. Then a young girl could get married and have more support with childcare and learning how to run a home while suckling infants. Times have changed, and this isn't practical. Also, these days women need a lot more education than in olden days, or if not for themselves then to be able to prepare their children for more education. Either way its a good idea to move the minimum age up for marriage. You can't move it very far up, because then you run into the biological clock when a woman can no longer have children. With families being so small and education so important and if that biological clock were of no concern I'd move the minimum up further to perhaps 20 or so.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Except it does in some ways. Marriage is a legal contract, whilst sex is not.
Sex makes babies though and I'd like to see folks be able to make a real commitment should that happen, not have to wait two years.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Sex makes babies though and I'd like to see folks be able to make a real commitment should that happen, not have to wait two years.

Sure, me too, although I don't necessarily tie 'real commitment' and 'marriage' together. But I can't agree that having a lower age of consent than marriage 'makes absolutely no sense'.
Contract law means the age of marital consent is basically 18. So the question really then becomes 'What should the age of sexual consent be, and why?'

Are we really in the business of prosecuting 2 consenting 17 year olds who have sex?

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure, me too, although I don't necessarily tie 'real commitment' and 'marriage' together. But I can't agree that having a lower age of consent than marriage 'makes absolutely no sense'.
Contract law means the age of marital consent is basically 18. So the question really then becomes 'What should the age of sexual consent be, and why?'

Are we really in the business of prosecuting 2 consenting 17 year olds who have sex?
I'm not trying to persecute them; I'm trying to say that if they find out they're having a baby, the option to marry should be available to them for a more secure environment to do that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not trying to persecute them; I'm trying to say that if they find out they're having a baby, the option to marry should be available to them for a more secure environment to do that.

Not persecute...lol...prosecute.
I thought you were suggesting that the age of marriage and consent should both be 18.
Perhaps you are happy with both being younger?