• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snowflakes....designed or accidents of nature?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
And "POOF" life just magicked itself into existence! You were there to witness this phenomenon, were you?

How is this not just as much fantasy as you think we believe? Seriously that is hilarious!
I hate to have to point this out to you mate, but you keep going on about science being a fantasy - but you believe in an utterly implausible fantasy being. It just doesn't work to mock science as fantasy, and insist on a far more fanciful alternative.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
And that is the point I have been making all along. We have two "belief" systems vying for our attention.
Neither one has absolute proof for their position. All they have is the writings and conclusions of their teachers, based on their studies.

Which teacher you accept depends on what you want to believe. You need as much faith and trust on one side as you do on the other.

It's about our choices....and what motivates us make them....isn't it? :)
Well no, that is completely wrong - the science you dismiss as fantasy is in fact entirely evidential and demands no faith whatsoever. Conversely your worldview is entirely based on trust and faith in an imaginary being.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Since when is science NOT about discovery? What would there be to discover if there was nothing to study? o_O

Who invented Velcro? I'll give you a hint...it wasn't humans.

Who invented jet propulsion? It wasn't humans either.....

What is biomimetics?

Copying Life’s Marvelous Designs — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Learning From Designs in Nature — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

The Great Designer Revealed — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

I believe that you give humans more 'veracity and power' than they really have. Placing men of science on the same level as the one who created it is not only insulting to the inventor but flies in the face of all that is observable.

Making discoveries is not creating or inventing anything....any more than an explorer discovering a new land or mountain is automatically deemed to be the creator or inventor of it. :p They discovered something that already exists but as yet has not been explored.

Science simply explores what already exists. How everything got here and who is responsible for its existence, is what is under discussion here.

EVEN CHILDREN CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU JUST SAID

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
I hate to have to point this out to you mate

Would it disappoint you greatly to know that I am not a "mate"?

but you keep going on about science being a fantasy - but you believe in an utterly implausible fantasy being. It just doesn't work to mock science as fantasy, and insist on a far more fanciful alternative.

Who says its more fanciful? That is a matter of opinion.

Well no, that is completely wrong - the science you dismiss as fantasy is in fact entirely evidential and demands no faith whatsoever. Conversely your worldview is entirely based on trust and faith in an imaginary being.

How do you really know that he is imaginary? There is a lot that you believe in that you cannot see.

Perhaps the Creator just doesn't want to know those who don't want to know him? (1 Cor 8:1-3)

He is under no obligation to prove himself to anyone. His works are proof enough.

Romans 1:19-20...."since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." (NIV)

Your believing or not believing, doesn't make him disappear.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Would it disappoint you greatly to know that I am not a "mate"?
It is just a common Australian practice to call people 'mate', it is not gender specific and I apologise if you take offence.
Who says its more fanciful? That is a matter of opinion.
The point is that a person who believes that a bronze age Jewish regional deity created the universe is not going to get far by dismissing science as a fantasy.
How do you really know that he is imaginary? There is a lot that you believe in that you cannot see.
Well I know that he is imaginary, because he is defined out of existence. Beings that are immaterial, external to the universe and timeless are not distinguishable from non-existent beings.
Perhaps the Creator just doesn't want to know those who don't want to know him? (1 Cor 8:1-3)

He is under no obligation to prove himself to anyone. His works are proof enough.

Romans 1:19-20...."since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." (NIV)

Your believing or not believing, doesn't make him disappear.
Makes no difference either way.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
It is just a common Australian practice to call people 'mate', it is not gender specific and I apologise if you take offence. .

No offence, just that blokes do not generally call females "mate" here. Females can call males "mate" but it kinda doesn't work the other way around. We are generally demeaned by older males by being called "luv". :confused: Ugh.
Have you been to Oz?

Wrong way 'round. Science precludes magic.

Then please explain scientifically how life began without magic......and for goodness sake do a better job than outhouse. :p

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
No offence, just that blokes do not generally call females "mate" here. Females can call males "mate" but it kinda doesn't work the other way around. We are generally demeaned by older males by being called "luv". :confused: Ugh.
Have you been to Oz?
Yes, I live in Aus. Again, I apologise if you were offended.
Then please explain scientifically how life began without magic......and for goodness sake do a better job than outhouse. :p
But you admit that you can not explain how life began anyway - so why would I need to?
I don't know how life began, and never claimed otherwise - nor has science by the way.

jonathan180iq

In case you haven't been reading, I have no problem with adaptation. This is what you are talking about here.
But even adaptation has its limits. You assume that all the varieties of all the various species of birds just happened randomly as a result of....what? "Preference"? That is a stretch of anyone's imagination to say the least. That is tantamount to placing tubes of paint in an empty art gallery and going back millions of years later to find masterpieces adorning the walls fully framed and signed. o_O

You said you have no problem with adaptation but seem perplexed by how adaptation works. Some adaptations are strictly business, as you might call it, and some are purely based on mating preferences, as with the birds that I've linked.... Your mother chose your father for various reasons, right? (and vice versa) You, and all of your physical characteristics, are a result of their choices. You have, or will one day have, children. Your children are going to look as similar to you as you look to your parents. But, increasingly, the similarities between your offspring (from children down to great great great grandchildren) and your parents will start to dissipate. All of those changes, over all of those generations, are based on each mating individual's specific preferences or, at the very least, choices. There is no over-arching determining factor in who mates with whom other than what each individual preferred. Do you know why your paternal grandmother chose your paternal grandfather, for example? I'd say probably not. Some percentage of your parent's DNA will stick around for a long time, but it will become increasingly diluted as it mixes and blends with all of the other DNA that is injected with each successive generation's offspring. By the time your 4th child's 4th child's 4th child comes along, how similar will he/she be to your mom and dad?

If you play that mating game out over incredibly long periods of time, you get very different versions of not only your family, but of humans in general. If you go back far enough into your own ancestry, you get people who don't speak the same language, right? You get people who don't have the same skin color. You get people who don't what language is.You get people who have yet to dream of art. You get people who can't walk upright. You get people and who can't walk at all. This is the science of evolutionary adaptation that is evidenced in everything from Elephants to paramecium, yet you're arguing about paint colors...

The only connection that your tubes of paint analogy would have is in the explanation of abiogenesis, and I'm willing to admit that I don't know specifically how it started.I just don't explain away my lack of knowledge by saying ancient sky fairies did it.

And I really have to ask what you mean by "aesthetic preference" of the "avian ladies"? How did the aesthetic preference of the female result in more aesthetically pleasing plumage in the males? This is just nonsense to me.

The mating dances of those male birds are based around impressing the lady birds. I was trying to inject some humor into this conversation.
The females chose a male based on his plumage. Because of her choice, their offspring, if healthy, will carry on some aspects of the traits of the male which she chose. In doing so, she has given her offspring a chance to carry on the same type of plumage that the male had. If, by some random happenstance of DNA coding problems during conception, the male off spring of those two parents has some weird feather patterns, and those feather patterns are chosen by one of the next generation's females, then that weird feather pattern gets a change to pass on his weird feather legacy to a whole new generation of offspring. It's really very simple.

Since the Creator designed things on earth to take care of themselves and to adapt to changing environments, it appears that some did not survive the adaptation process. Or like dinosaurs, may have fulfilled a role and were no longer needed.
Mutations wipe things out...they seldom have beneficial effects, so those not adapted correctly died out as we would expect.

Mutations are the driving force behind adaption, which you just said you have no problem with...Please don't try and make the argument that mutations are only negative, ala Ken Hamm or those Answers in Genesis people. You're going to be made to look very ignorant if you do.

You should come to Australia......we have introduced plants here that not only survive, but flourish and take over the landscape. All they need is the right climate.

Do you think you could introduce arctic grasses into the plains of Australia? Why not?
Do you think that all of those success stories of transplanting certain botanical species was based on pure guesswork and luck, or did someone who knew a thing or two about speciation specifically select certain plants based on the types of climate they are adapted for?

That still doesn't explain how a mindless plant can become more colorful or develop the features of fake insects, including their pheromones, because it discerns that brighter colors or fake insects perpetuate their species more effectively....now does it? This is pure fantasy to me.

Go back to the example I used of your parents and you. If your family only ever lived in one particular environment, let's say it's either the Sahara or Siberia, do you think that over successive generations that your features would never change? That you guys would just stay normal old white people forever? Those harsh environments would require some very clever avoidance measures for dealing with it, or environmental adaption. There would be a lot of loss along the way. A lot of death just for the simple fact that your current form isn't adapted to that environment. But, overtime, a few of the traits of your bothers and sisters, children and grand children, would start to show benefits to the environment. As those traits became more perpetual with every passing generation, you would eventually wind up with a group of people, who are part of your direct lineage, but who look almost nothing like you did just a few generations before. Plants and animals function the same way.

The mindless plant doesn't make a choice. In their case, it's pure luck of the draw, which may sound harsh or improbable, but much harsher is it to imagine a designer who purposefully made one plant less prepared to deal with the world around it than another? This process of natural selection is just simply how natural life works. You can believe in God all you want to - but you need understand nature, regardless of your religious leanings, especially if you want to make arguments against it.

And I am saying that all that beauty is wasted on creatures who have no appreciation for it apart from their mating rituals.
Have you ever seen a cow appreciate a sunset.....or a dog appreciate the beauty of a forest? To him it is just a bunch of trees on which to leave his calling card.
The patterning and designs on myriads of creatures is nothing short of breathtaking, yet you want us to believe that it is all accidental. That the aesthetically pleasing colors and designs are the product of "preference" on the part of living things?
Take a look at the simple caterpillars of various species and tell me there is no designer......

Who's to say they don't appreciate it? You also need to do more research into animal behavior and cognition before you make that argument.

We have the same Creator who used the same raw materials to create all living beings. Similarities do not make us the same at all. There are gulfs between man and animals that can never be breached. Spirituality for example makes us very different. There is no human culture on earth that is devoid of spirituality. Some nations can deny it to their citizens but they cannot stamp it out....it is inherent.
Language is not simple for humans either. We alone can communicate either verbally or with written language. We can convey in writing exactly what we can say with speech.

The gulfs between man and animal is simply an area of ignorance on the part of certain aspects of the theistic community. We are one in the same, some are simply more advanced in their complexity than others.

I'm going to recommend this book:
51E5JKZ01rL.jpg

Roger Fouts and others spent years teaching American Sign Language to Chimpanzees and studying what they did with it. What they found was that while we may be ignorant of the thought processes of other species, that doesn't mean that there are no thoughts among the "lesser" species, as you might call them.

You'll probably never read this. But you should.

Washoe, for example, long after the study was over, and for years until her death, would teach her young the same sign language that had been taught to her. She would even take magazines, flip through them, and using the pictures in the magazines, teach new words to her young. This was all completely independent and on her own.

Our design and engineering skills are not programmed but are the result of years of study. How many years of study does it take for a beaver to build a dam? Or for all the varieties of birds to learn to make the nests that are peculiar to their species? Who teaches them?
Who trained the migratory birds or butterflies in navigation? We do not possess those skills unless we learn them from someone who learned them from someone else. Do you see the difference? Do you want to?

It actually takes quite a few... I think you're mistaken in how you assume animals function. Male beavers have their entire youth and adolescence to learn dam construction from their fathers and from play. One big difference is that most mammalian species come out of the womb much more advanced than we humans do. That can give the appearance of being born with the knowledge to do things, but that's an incorrect understanding of the life of each of those individual animals.

Do all birds know how to fly from birth, or are the taught within a matter of seconds through a very harsh school of "Time to leave the nest, sucker. Hope you don't fall to your death."
And falling to their death happens more often that I think you give it credit for.

What animals indulge in art without man to provide them with the materials? There is no "art" from animals found in caves, like there is for native people's in various countries. Animals can mimic man.

Art is one step away from tool creation, which we know the greater apes can do. Again, I'll just suggest you read that book, or any other on the higher activities of the great apes. Independent, spontaneous art, devoid of human influence, happens.

Well, actually it is against the laws of God and man to kill someone because you don't like them. We, unlike the animals have a conscience and a sense of morality that is not seen in the animal kingdom.

War, on the other hand has been used for millennia as a lawful way to murder those you don't like.
So war is just an acceptable form of murder, which we are supposedly against because we are different from the animals. Do you know which other closely related species engages in turf and resource wars? Gorillas and chimpanzees...

The Bible's explanation for that is simple. Death and violence were never supposed to part of the human experience.
When "sin" (imperfection) entered the world, then violence entered right along with it. The first murder was committed by Adam's son. In one generation, violence and murder became part of life....such is the power of sin.

You're going to start running into logical fallacies here if you choose the intelligent design approach and then start using the "sin entered the world" argument...

WRONG! God never spread his message with violence or murder. In the days of ancient Israel, he used his nation to clear out squatters from the land he promised to give them as an inheritance. The Canaanites were the vilest of human beings, who indulged in violence and perverted sex to a sickening degree. He cleared them out like the vermin they were. Their worship was demonic. (Deut 18:9-12)

So the people who were intelligently designed to live in a certain place were then kicked of that place, and straight murdered, because some other people that were intelligently designed were promised the place that some other people were already in?

God no longer sanctions war. There is no land or territory for his people to protect any more. Christians live in every corner of the globe and were told to be "no part of this world". (John 15:18-21)
Hence no human can tell us to break the laws of God and take the life of a fellow human.

Since God sanctioned his people as his executional force in ancient times, there was no "murder" committed.
Murder is the "unlawful" taking of human life. Since God is the arbiter of who lives and who dies, his perfect justice was served. Just as we would expect from any human justice system. The punishment should fit the crime.
God's sanction made it execution for a capital crime....not murder. The highest penalty one could pay for any crime committed in Israel was death. The authorized executioner was therefore not a murderer.

The Christian message was never spread with violence or murder. Please don't confuse what Roman Catholicism did as something "Christian". They "converted" people at the point of a sword or forced confession with cruel torture. None of that was sanctioned by the Christ. Make no mistake.....Christendom is not Christianity.

Again, you're just making excuses for murder when God performs it as being pure and holy or righteous and whatever, and in the same breath arguing for intelligent design in a steady state existence that should have required no corrections, since it was, as it were, intelligently designed.

Just think about that for a second.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't know how to debate with someone who thinks genetic sequences remain static during genetic replication. Aging would not happen if this were true, cancer would not happen if this were true, humans as a whole would not be getting taller, and we would all be perfect 50/50 replications of our parents who themselves would be perfect 50/50 replications of their parents, and this pattern simply would not allow for the genetic diversity that we can see within our own species. If genetic replication did not result in differences, there would not be the myriad of dog breeds that we have. Selective breeding would not be possible, but we've been doing it since our earliest days.
If you're going to claim to know about something, what it means, how it works, what it says, you had better make sure you actually do know this and have at least some real background in the subject and aren't just taking second-hand writings for it.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You might see him as an imaginary wizard......but that is your fantasy, not mine.

I see those who deny the existence of a power so much greater than ourselves, as the ones kidding themselves.

Scientists can give all the difficult to understand explanations about complicated things, but they cannot answer the simple questions. That says it all to me. If you can't explain how life began, what does it matter how it adapted? o_O
There is a big difference between science and religion.
Religion merely makes bold empty claims.
Science presents evidence.

McBell

And "POOF" life just magicked itself into existence! You were there to witness this phenomenon, were you?

How is this not just as much fantasy as you think we believe? Seriously that is hilarious!
Ouch.
Did you witness anything in the Bible?
Anything at all?

No?

Do you not see how you just shot your own argument in the foot?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Your book says poof, it happened. I've even some believers with bumper stickers that say the Big Bang is "God spoke, and bang it happened."
Evolution has these things, that are quite pesky to your believes, these things known as sedimentary layers (actually, no, this bit belongs to geology, but it still works against YEC), ice cap layers, fossil record, selective/artificial selection, and several different dating methods, each one that validates one another, to be supported with.
Actually, your claim of "poof" only demonstrates your own lack of understanding of the theory of evolution as the theory of evolution itself makes no claims or statements as to how life itself was started on earth. This "poof" you speak of belongs under not evolution, but biogenesis. But biogenesis would not accept a simple "poof," as a "poof" is not an explanation that is backed by reason.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Obviously the posters here have not read a word I have said.

It is evolutionists who shoot themselves in the foot because whilst pointing fingers at those of us who believe in an intelligent designer, they themselves have their own 'fantasy' about how life began. "Poof"...it just popped out of nowhere. No scientific explanation......because there is none. There is just a dubious theory about how life changed as if the big question about how life got here in the first place, doesn't matter.

If the answer to the big question is a powerful intelligent first cause of everything, then the foundation of their theory crumbles into nothing. Many scientists accept ID, but many will also not admit it for fear of ridicule...of the sort that we have seen here. :rolleyes:

There is a big void at the beginning of the evolutionary theory. A theory that is desperate to eliminate an intelligent designer at all costs, when in reality, such incredible design is clearly seen in all living things, everywhere.....even at the microscopic level. Design is so evident that it seems ridiculous to fob it off as if it was nothing.....just random beneficial changes that just happened to create all the living things we see on planet earth.

I cannot believe that someone can unearth the fragment of a jawbone, or skull, or tooth, and all of a sudden, we have another humanoid in the evolutionary chain. The fragment turns into a computer generated human and it is treated as if it is a photograph. :confused: Before computer generation, they relied on artwork to fabricate their theory.

Believe it if you like....it is too much of a stretch for me. No matter how plausible science makes it sound.
Science cannot provide the answer to how life began any more convincingly than believers in the Creator can. And that is a fact.

McBell

Obviously the posters here have not read a word I have said.
Why?
Cause they disagree with your nonsense?

It is evolutionists who shoot themselves in the foot because whilst pointing fingers at those of us who believe in an intelligent designer, they themselves have their own 'fantasy' about how life began. "Poof"...it just popped out of nowhere. No scientific explanation......because there is none. There is just a dubious theory about how life changed as if the big question about how life got here in the first place, doesn't matter.
Strawman.
No surprise though.
You do not seem to have the ability to be truthful concerning evolution.
And no, I am not going to let you slip past on being ignorant.
Nor on the "i see the evidence differently" line of bull **** either.

If the answer to the big question is a powerful intelligent first cause of everything, then the foundation of their theory crumbles into nothing. Many scientists accept ID, but many will also not admit it for fear of ridicule...of the sort that we have seen here.
More blatant lies and flat out bull ****.
How about you put your copy of "Expelled" away?

There is a big void at the beginning of the evolutionary theory. A theory that is desperate to eliminate an intelligent designer at all costs, when in reality, such incredible design is clearly seen in all living things, everywhere.....even at the microscopic level. Design is so evident that it seems ridiculous to fob it off as if it was nothing.....just random beneficial changes that just happened to create all the living things we see on planet earth.

I cannot believe that someone can unearth the fragment of a jawbone, or skull, or tooth, and all of a sudden, we have another humanoid in the evolutionary chain. The fragment turns into a computer generated human and it is treated as if it is a photograph. :confused: Before computer generation, they relied on artwork to fabricate their theory.
Your blatant ignorance of science is comical.
However, I still have to call your bull **** for the bull **** it is.

Believe it if you like....it is too much of a stretch for me. No matter how plausible science makes it sound.
Science cannot provide the answer to how life began any more convincingly than believers in the Creator can. And that is a fact.
If it makes you feel any better, your bull **** version of evolution is a huge stretch for me to believe also.
Good thing your bull **** version of Evolution has no bearing on the truth or facts.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey Mes,
I made a vow of not ignoring anyone on these threads,
but.......there are temptations.
~
'mud

shawn001

I believe creation is the supernatural act of a masterful Creator....the universe is a fact. You choose to believe it got here some other way.....I don't.

Matter somehow came into existence and the raw materials were used to fashion everything we see in existence in the universe. I believe this is a fact. We disagree on "how" it happened.

Some of that matter was fashioned into "kinds" of living creatures that rely on the air and moisture supplied abundantly in earth's atmosphere and the enormous variety of food that just happens to also be supplied in great quantity.

Living things "live" because there was a first cause of life....science cannot come to terms with what that first cause might be. I believe it was the Creator.

Trees exhale what we inhale and vice versa....now all of that was just a series of fortunate co-incidences according to science? You can believe that but I can't.

Design requires a designer. That is a fact.

Nothing in our experience comes from nothing.

We have senses with which we interpret our surroundings and interact with other beings on this planet.
What use would our senses be unless we had sounds to hear? Beauty to see? Food to taste? Aromas to smell? And things to touch? All just co-incidence again? How far can you stretch these amazing co-incidences.

All life comes from pre-existing life....that is a fact that even science supports. Yet it cannot provide evidence for how life began.

You take science as gospel...I take the Bible as gospel. You are free to believe whatever you like. I know what makes more sense to me.

Well, your response so far is indicating that they mean something. If they meant nothing, why would you bother with so much material? You seem desperate to prove your point.
Like I said....interpretations in science can be wrong and scientific fraud is rife. That at least can be proven.

Well, if you believe that the Bible is the product of men, then any wonder you can't accept what it says.

"All scripture is inspired of God". This is what I believe. It is as relevant today as the day it was written.
It is a book about human nature which never changes. It has advice on real life situations on the most practical level and it contains prophesy that we see unfolding before our eyes.

Compiling scripture was not the work of men. Like all periods in history, humans were always used by God to carry out his purpose and to teach and guide his people. To discredit the Bible as the work of men is to do it a grave injustice.

If the Bible was merely the work of men, it could not impact people's lives the way it does. It has the power to change a person's whole way of thinking. It bolsters faith....something that is in short supply in science, which can be proven wrong tomorrow with the next "discovery".

Yes. People prove it every day. Couch your teachings in scientific jargon and make everyone who disagrees with you look like fool and voila! people swallow the fiction like it was fact.
Who wants to appear to be out of step with the great men of science? Science is a substitute for religion for many. It engenders as much fanaticism as any religion I have seen.

The computer we have in our heads makes the ones we use with our fingers seem like baby toys. Yet even a simple baby toy needs a designer and manufacturer.

This is why we have translations. Not just in English, but in most of the languages of the world. Greek is just one of them. Language is not a barrier to truth, but truth resonates more readily in our mother tongue. This is why the gift of languages was given at Pentecost. Visitors to Jerusalem heard the Christian message in their own tongue. Most people can do so today.

Its really amazing how ill informed you are to all real science and how it works and what we know and the billions+ more facts you don't know and are totally blind too, especially because of your bias. Also the fact that science has nothing to do with religion in the first place.

"KENNETH R. MILLER: Not a single observation, not a single experimental result, has ever emerged in 150 years that contradicts the general outlines of the theory of evolution. Any theory that can stand up to 150 years of contentious testing is a pretty darn good theory, and that's what evolution is."