• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snakes and mice are falling from the ceiling of a Lexington high school

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Snakes and mice are falling from the ceiling of a Lexington high school - On3

I guess this doesn't surprise me, given the overall state of education in America today. Apart from everything else, many school buildings are in disrepair and in pretty rough shape.

Warning: if you’re squeamish, this may not be the post for you.

A Lexington high school has a major pest problem. Yesterday, Nathan Spalding, an English teacher at Henry Clay High School, posted a picture on Facebook of a snake curled up on his phone, which he says is just one example of how pests have invaded the building. Kentucky Fish and Wildlife staff identified it as a baby rat snake, which fell through a gap in the ceiling tiles. Spalding told the Herald-Leader that on the same day, a mouse fell from the ceiling of a different classroom and another colleague has had three mice fall from the ceiling of her classroom since school started last month.

“Our school is infested with roaches, spiders, and mice,” Spalding wrote on Facebook. “Our school now seems to also have a nest of snakes living in the ceiling. Just another day living the dream…”

Perhaps there's a worthwhile educational opportunity here. The science classes have all kinds of roaches, spiders, and mice to study.

According to the Herald-Leader, Henry Clay Principal Paul Little sent a letter to families saying school leaders and maintenance staff are addressing the issue and last week, exterminators came in to treat the building, which opened in the 1970s and also doesn’t have air conditioning.

“The custodians have been using glue traps to catch them,” Spalding said. “However, some mice will chew off their limbs to escape the glue.”

As if high school isn’t terrifying enough, now we’ve got snakes and mice falling from the ceilings. Anybody got a mongoose? Is Samuel L. Jackson available?

Those glue traps sound pretty bad.

Someone in the comments was asking why they didn't close the school and condemn the building. Good question.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Someone in the comments was asking why they didn't close the school and condemn the building. Good question.
When a building has a pest infestation, the best course
is generally to eradicate the bugs, vermin, & lawyers.
Condemning a building is rarely ever the greenest &
most cost effective approach. Termites can cause that
extreme solution though.
BTW, I wouldn't judge an entire education system based
upon one building needing an exterminator. And finding
a baby rat snake is a good sign...except to the mice.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When a building has a pest infestation, the best course
is generally to eradicate the bugs, vermin, & lawyers.
Condemning a building is rarely ever the greenest &
most cost effective approach. Termites can cause that
extreme solution though.
BTW, I wouldn't judge an entire education system based
upon one building needing an exterminator. And finding
a baby rat snake is a good sign...except to the mice.

A lot of school buildings are in pretty rough shape, not just this one.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A lot of school buildings are in pretty rough shape, not just this one.
Evidence for this broadened claim,
& how it relates to failing education?

I highly recommend Freakonomics podcasts
about education's problems & reforms...very
interesting.
(Building condition isn't mentioned though.)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I've seen schools in bad shape and read about them in other places I haven't seen personally. A teacher friend of mine was telling me of a school she was at where half the floor was missing.

Failure to maintain the premises to at least a minimal degree is a sign of hard times, a lack of money, a lack of care, and an indicator that education is not a very high priority for society at large.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've seen schools in bad shape and read about them in other places I haven't seen personally. A teacher friend of mine was telling me of a school she was at where half the floor was missing.

Failure to maintain the premises to at least a minimal degree is a sign of hard times, a lack of money, a lack of care, and an indicator that education is not a very high priority for society at large.
Perhaps you just live in a poor community.
Nothing like that where I live.
All of our floors are intact...no kids falling into the basement.
BTW, I favor educating the poor too.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

That may be so, although the friend to whom I was referring lives in L.A. That's actually a pretty rich community, though they do some rather poverty-stricken, depressed areas with sub-standard schools.

Is there a point here that I'm missing?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is there a point here that I'm missing?
Yes.
You're complaining about an infestation of questionable
seriousness in 1 building, & using that as a springboard
to dis the whole system.
Talk of condemnation. No data. No analysis. Nothingburger.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes.
You're complaining about an infestation of questionable
seriousness in 1 building, & using that as a springboard
to dis the whole system.

This would only make sense if no one in America ever discussed the state of affairs in our educational system - ever. Since it's a relatively common and often-discussed topic, your criticism here is misplaced and irrelevant.

Do you rush to the defense of America's educational system every time someone criticizes it, or am I the only one worthy of this great honor?

"Questionable seriousness"? Gee, did you figure that out for yourself? Yes, it's one of those "lighter side of the news" stories. While I don't imagine it's too fun for those having to deal with this problem, there are some humorous elements to all of this.

Talk of condemnation. No data. No analysis. Nothingburger.

So I guess I don't get the Revoltingest Seal of Approval? Darn! :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This would only make sense if no one in America ever discussed the state of affairs in our educational system - ever. Since it's a relatively common and often-discussed topic, your criticism here is misplaced and irrelevant.

Do you rush to the defense of America's educational system every time someone criticizes it, or am I the only one worthy of this great honor?

"Questionable seriousness"? Gee, did you figure that out for yourself? Yes, it's one of those "lighter side of the news" stories. While I don't imagine it's too fun for those having to deal with this problem, there are some humorous elements to all of this.

So I guess I don't get the Revoltingest Seal of Approval? Darn! :rolleyes:
Oh, darn...you actually thought that I was
defending our public education system.
I only criticized how vapid your tirade
against it was. That is not defense.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, darn...you actually thought that I was
defending our public education system.
I only criticized how vapid your tirade
against it was. That is not defense.

How you manage to interpret a rather light-hearted, innocuous OP into a "vapid tirade" must require some extreme mental gymnastics on your part. The only explanation for that is that you chose to take offense at my mild barb about the educational system, which would imply that you feel very strongly about the subject.

If not, then I guess you must feel very strongly about me personally, and if so, I'm truly touched.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not about you amd what you see but larger trends.
America’s schools are falling into disrepair with no solution in sight, experts say
The pandemic is spotlighting longstanding issues with America’s school buildings
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educ...-public-schools-need-major-repairs-us-report/

pearl

Funny how everyone complains about schools, until it comes to paying for them with taxes.
Suddenly, they're not so bad. I clicked on the site from the OP and was immediately hit with scam, had to shut everything down. So didn't get to read about the 'glue paper'.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I highly recommend Freakonomics podcasts
about education's problems & reforms...very
interesting.
(Building condition isn't mentioned though.)

Its true crappy buildings don't really mean poor educational standards. In the high school I went to, you could give a good kick to the wall, and it would crumble away. But, the students were well taught, and caring staff was available to help.

In our district, we have trouble with the school board wanting to pay for things that look pretty, but invest absolutely nothing into the educational standards, or the staff that are to carry it out. So long as it looks good...

We have a new superintendent this round. I am hoping for some positive change regarding that. So far, I like the guy.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I have lived all over Texas. From small towns of 2,500… to the Houston metro, which is over 7 million… every school I’ve stepped foot in has been in great condition. Education is prioritized here. Athletics is prioritized. Hard work and success is prioritized.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not surprised in light of quarter to half million salaries for administrators. Most people know where the taxpayers money always goes.

Into somebodys personal wallet, and never the walls.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have lived all over Texas. From small towns of 2,500… to the Houston metro, which is over 7 million… every school I’ve stepped foot in has been in great condition. Education is prioritized here. Athletics is prioritized. Hard work and success is prioritized.
Is that why Texas is behind the national average for spending per pupil, number of high school grads, number of college grads, and those with an advanced degrees?
No, those academic honors you claim for Texas have pretty much always belonged to the New England states, and still do.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Is that why Texas is behind the national average for spending per pupil, number of high school grads, number of college grads, and those with an advanced degrees?
No, those academic honors you claim for Texas have pretty much always belonged to the New England states, and still do.

It is the individual’s responsibility to strive for success. It can be encouraged, and it can be inspired, you can have a great school and countless resources at your fingertips… but it is on you to take your studies seriously, to find a great job and work hard, to marry and to create a family. It is called “personal responsibility”.

Some people do not have a passion for learning. Some people settle for less. Some people have no interest in building a family or leaving a legacy. They are not “right” or “wrong” for it… but they are encouraged to reach higher regardless. In Texas- and throughout America- the foundation is often there for great success. You either make something of yourself, or you don’t. That choice is on you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is the individual’s responsibility to strive for success. It can be encouraged, and it can be inspired, you can have a great school and countless resources at your fingertips… but it is on you to take your studies seriously, to find a great job and work hard, to marry and to create a family. It is called “personal responsibility”.

Some people do not have a passion for learning. Some people settle for less. Some people have no interest in building a family or leaving a legacy. They are not “right” or “wrong” for it… but they are encouraged to reach higher regardless. In Texas- and throughout America- the foundation is often there for great success. You either make something of yourself, or you don’t. That choice is on you.
Amd some states factually place among the rung of states when it comes to funding education. And that funding part is tied into how much it's promoted.
And let's not forget the school board farce that was a Christian Right tantrum of a spoiled brat to teach creationism in public schools.
Again, the education honors in America have always and still belong to the New England states.