• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slavery and Islam

firedragon

Veteran Member
Most readers would find it astonishing to hear that slavery still exists in the modern world. Though the practice was abolished officially it is still verymuch alive. According to a study done by the International Labour Organisation the estimated number of slaves has increased from 12.3 million to 30 million since 2005. Slavery is not declining, in fact it is increasing.

Defining slavery
 Humans used, sold or bought as a commodity or property
 Imprisoned or kept by force with no freedom of movement
 Forced to work via some form of threat
 Forcefully acquired or owned by a master or employer, abused or under threat of abuse.

Slavery has been officially abolished since 1981 and the world at large, including some Muslims believe that Islam does propagate slavery. It is a nerroneous view as you will find the Quran telling us that slaves are to be set free as a repenting act for a sin or crime you commit. If a billion Muslims follow the Quranic teachings and seek to set a slave free to redeem themselves, 30 Million slaves might see a hope of freedom.
Many do find it silly to discuss slavery but slavery is very much alive, it is in the increase and needs attention.
The ILO goes to the length of quoting 90$ as the average cost of a slave.

Freeing a slave is defined as an act of piety in the Quran.

Quran defines what piety is as below.

Piety is not to turn your faces towards the east and the west, but pious is one who
 believes in God and the LastDay,
 and the angels,
 and the Book,
 and the prophets,
 and who gives money out of love to the relatives,
 and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer, and those who ask,
 and to free the slaves;
 and who upholds prayer,
 and who contributes towards purification;
 and those who keep their pledgeswhen they make a pledge,
 and those who are patient in the face of hardship and adversity and when in despair.
These are the ones who have been truthful, and these are the righteous.
– Quran 2:177

Very directly and clearly the Quran gives a formula to live by, which if
someone has an argument against is imprudent.
As you can see, freeing slaves is part of a Muslims creed.

 Quran verse 4 :92 says that if you kill someone by mistake (e.g. MotorAccident), you must free a slave and compensate the family.Compensating the family is for their wellbeing, freeing a slave is for your salvation. Imagine every Muslim in the world seeking to free a slave in case of an accidental death.

 Verse 5:89 ordains you to free a slave in case you had broken an oath or a promise. If you owe someone money and you break the promise of return, if and when you repent, it is not enough just to return that
money. You must free a slave as an act of repentance.

 9:60 gives you freeing a slave as a duty amongst charity and relieving those in debt.

 The Quran articulates in this manner

“Do you know which the better path is?
o The freeing of slaves.
o Or the feeding on a day of great hardship.
o An orphan of relation.
o Or a poor person in need.”
- Quran 90:12

Islam is against slavery, contrary to popular belief and is a solution, not a problem. But I do realise that there are some stories and some parts of the Quran rendered based on those external stories which is the wrong approach to understand any book that is called the "Criterion". Thus I expect some debate. Please do, but the Quranic stance is such that it is against slavery, it is a solution because it tells you to free slaves, not your slaves, just slaves. This thread is a humble reply to a very candid accusation in another thread.

Peace.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Most readers would find it astonishing to hear that slavery still exists in the modern world. Though the practice was abolished officially it is still verymuch alive. According to a study done by the International Labour Organisation the estimated number of slaves has increased from 12.3 million to 30 million since 2005. Slavery is not declining, in fact it is increasing.

Defining slavery
 Humans used, sold or bought as a commodity or property
 Imprisoned or kept by force with no freedom of movement
 Forced to work via some form of threat
 Forcefully acquired or owned by a master or employer, abused or under threat of abuse.

Slavery has been officially abolished since 1981 and the world at large, including some Muslims believe that Islam does propagate slavery. It is a nerroneous view as you will find the Quran telling us that slaves are to be set free as a repenting act for a sin or crime you commit. If a billion Muslims follow the Quranic teachings and seek to set a slave free to redeem themselves, 30 Million slaves might see a hope of freedom.
Many do find it silly to discuss slavery but slavery is very much alive, it is in the increase and needs attention.
The ILO goes to the length of quoting 90$ as the average cost of a slave.

Freeing a slave is defined as an act of piety in the Quran.

Quran defines what piety is as below.

Piety is not to turn your faces towards the east and the west, but pious is one who
 believes in God and the LastDay,
 and the angels,
 and the Book,
 and the prophets,
 and who gives money out of love to the relatives,
 and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer, and those who ask,
 and to free the slaves;
 and who upholds prayer,
 and who contributes towards purification;
 and those who keep their pledgeswhen they make a pledge,
 and those who are patient in the face of hardship and adversity and when in despair.
These are the ones who have been truthful, and these are the righteous.
– Quran 2:177

Very directly and clearly the Quran gives a formula to live by, which if
someone has an argument against is imprudent.
As you can see, freeing slaves is part of a Muslims creed.

 Quran verse 4 :92 says that if you kill someone by mistake (e.g. MotorAccident), you must free a slave and compensate the family.Compensating the family is for their wellbeing, freeing a slave is for your salvation. Imagine every Muslim in the world seeking to free a slave in case of an accidental death.

 Verse 5:89 ordains you to free a slave in case you had broken an oath or a promise. If you owe someone money and you break the promise of return, if and when you repent, it is not enough just to return that
money. You must free a slave as an act of repentance.

 9:60 gives you freeing a slave as a duty amongst charity and relieving those in debt.

 The Quran articulates in this manner

“Do you know which the better path is?
o The freeing of slaves.
o Or the feeding on a day of great hardship.
o An orphan of relation.
o Or a poor person in need.”
- Quran 90:12

Islam is against slavery, contrary to popular belief and is a solution, not a problem. But I do realise that there are some stories and some parts of the Quran rendered based on those external stories which is the wrong approach to understand any book that is called the "Criterion". Thus I expect some debate. Please do, but the Quranic stance is such that it is against slavery, it is a solution because it tells you to free slaves, not your slaves, just slaves. This thread is a humble reply to a very candid accusation in another thread.

Peace.

I have a better idea than Mohamed.

Ban slavery all together.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I did not say it does not exist.

However I was saying that if Mohammed was moral he would have banned it.

It isn't about moral and immoral, it's about finding a solution.

Will you feed and housing all those who in need if their bosses let them go?

The prophet instructed that the boss should feed them the same food that he eats,
the same kind of cloth he wears, the same style of life he lives.

Before his death, the last words he said, be kind and take care with those who are in need (the slaves)

Actually if you know what kind of person Muhammed was then you'll regret to think of him as being immoral.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
It isn't about moral and immoral, it's about finding a solution.

Will you feed and housing all those who in need if their bosses let them go?

The prophet instructed that the boss should feed them the same food that he eats,
the same kind of cloth he wears, the same style of life he lives.

Before his death, the last words he said, be kind and take care with those who are in need (the slaves)

Actually if you know what kind of person Muhammed was then you'll regret to think of him as being immoral.

If letting a slave go was a terrible thing, then why order people to release any?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If letting a slave go was a terrible thing, then why order people to release any?

The people in that era before Islam used to buy them as kind of goods and if the slave wanted to be free
he can't because someone should pay money in order to let him go.

In one occasion Abu Baker the prophet close friend paid money to free a slave called Bilal, the owner
was surprised that Abu Baker paid the money while smiling, he asked him, i wonder how you agree
to pay me that amount of money to let him go, i had asked for a lot in order to refuse,Abu Baker
said to him"and if you had asked for more then i was going to agree"

Bilal was a negro.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
The people in that era before Islam used to buy them as kind of goods and if the slave wanted to be free
he can't because someone should pay money in order to let him go.

In one occasion Abu Baker the prophet close friend paid money to free a slave called Bilal, the owner
was surprised that Abu Baker paid the money while smiling, he asked him, i wonder how you agree
to pay me that amount of money to let him go, i had asked for a lot in order to refuse,Abu Baker
said to him"and if you had asked for more then i was going to agree"

Other people doing worse does not make it better.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If you cannot grasp something that simple we are done talking.

I explained to you with a historical story that slaves in pre-islam were treated as goods
and even if the slave have a better opportunity still he can't go because a money should
be paid to his master.

Then what's your point of saying "if the first tortures someone then the 2nd cuts someone once".
Is English your 1st language?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I explained to you with a historical story that slaves in pre-islam were treated as goods
and even if the slave have a better opportunity still he can't go because a money should
be paid to his master.

Then what's your point of saying "if the first tortures someone then the 2nd cuts someone once".
Is English your 1st language?

First of all English is my first language.

Second of all I am saying that just because they where treated worse by default does not make owning another human being moral.