• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SKIP THE FACE MASKS! ....... Ummmm........ HANG ON! U-TURN?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Back in Febnruary and early March the standard response to face masks was that they are ineffective for the public. I expect that these ideas were born from Leader's comments such as 'Skip the face masks'. Here are just two examples of February and early March opinions about them..... these are not links:-
------------------------------------------
Face masks won't help you avoid illness, so why wear them ...www.businessinsider.com › face-masks-wont-help-avoi..........................28 Feb 2020
- -----------------------------------------
3 Mar 2020 - Medical experts explain why you should wash your hands instead of getting a face mask to protect against coronavirus. ...www.inquirer.com › health › coronavirus › face-masks...
-------------------------------------------
And so we have been watching the people of several Western countries out and about, mostly without face masks.................
...and now, in recent hours and days, we hear the the World Health Organisation is reviewing its advice about face masks. I snatched a couple of similar articles ......if you 'google' face masks you'll see a range of articles, I expect.
---------------------------------------------------
MDH: Wearing homemade facemasks in public "Not a bad idea"
KARE11.com-3 hours ago
MDH: Wearing homemade facemasks in public "Not a bad idea". How masks could help and what you need to know if you want to make your own ...
------------------------------------------------------
Trump backs Americans covering faces as task force debates ...
ABC News-14 hours ago
Trump backs Americans covering faces as task force debates mask ... "It's not a bad idea, at least for a period of time" to cover your face when ...
---------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION:-
Is this one reason why Western pandemic graphs differ significantly from Korean, where everybody wears face masks?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There's an ocean of information out there, most of it wrong but how you know what is accurate I have not worked out.

Fair enough.
When the experts can change their minds, or even argue heatedly with each other, all we are left with is our best guess.

But the 'skip the masks' speeches could have made a big difference to the resulting graphs now....... I think.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Fair enough.
When the experts can change their minds, or even argue heatedly with each other, all we are left with is our best guess.

But the 'skip the masks' speeches could have made a big difference to the resulting graphs now....... I think.

Masks are out for me, I have a beard that I can't shave off due to having more chins than a Chinese phonebook so I choose to believe the no mask experts based on zero evidence and vanity.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Face masks won't help you avoid illness, so why wear them
Because it's not for you - it's for everybody else.

The usual cloth face masks are not dense enough and usually not enough sealed towards you face to hold of a virus. But
- they remind you to not touch your face and
- they keep droplets you exhale from traveling very far.

I thought that was common knowledge, even before the pandemic. I wore a mask outside when I had the flu last year.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Masks are out for me, I have a beard that I can't shave off due to having more chins than a Chinese phonebook so I choose to believe the no mask experts based on zero evidence and vanity.
:D Like it!

I have a thin beard, just a bit more than a celebrity grizzle or frizz (!), but if I am ever required to go in to a confined space like a bus (or whatever) then I would wear one.

What niggled me back in February was that so many people were put off wearing masks by news reports, resulting in folks being embarrassed to wear them. That's all dissipating now and if a person feels better (looks better! :D ) with a mask then.... OK.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Because it's not for you - it's for everybody else.
Heyo...... I did not write that..... true? That was from a media report.
But.... yes..... I'm not against wearing masks at all.

The usual cloth face masks are not dense enough and usually not enough sealed towards you face to hold of a virus. But
- they remind you to not touch your face and
- they keep droplets you exhale from traveling very far.
So I would wear one.
The WHO is reviewing the value of all masks at present.

I thought that was common knowledge, even before the pandemic. I wore a mask outside when I had the flu last year.
You had the flu? How did you manage?
Are you young and fit or old and ragged like me? I get a free flu-jab every year, and so does everybody over a certain age in the UK.

They are very good here in the UK...... I even got a free shingles vaccination about three months ago and they are very expensive, a two part package etc etc.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Common sense?

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.

Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.

Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

When and how to use masks

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have a couple of masks - bought some time back for work in the garden and clearing overgrowth in a greenhouse - and the only reason I will likely wear one (FFP3 type) is if it becomes mandatory whilst shopping (as in Austria) or to give confidence to others that I won't be spreading anything. I might even start wearing gloves but I am quite religious in using hand sanitiser during shopping and washing my hands frequently anyway. I'm still not confident I won't catch it though. And of course if I had to use it frequently then I would treat it as being contaminated.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Back in Febnruary and early March the standard response to face masks was that they are ineffective for the public. I expect that these ideas were born from Leader's comments such as 'Skip the face masks'. Here are just two examples of February and early March opinions about them..... these are not links:-
------------------------------------------
Face masks won't help you avoid illness, so why wear them ...www.businessinsider.com › face-masks-wont-help-avoi..........................28 Feb 2020
- -----------------------------------------
3 Mar 2020 - Medical experts explain why you should wash your hands instead of getting a face mask to protect against coronavirus. ...www.inquirer.com › health › coronavirus › face-masks...
-------------------------------------------
And so we have been watching the people of several Western countries out and about, mostly without face masks.................
...and now, in recent hours and days, we hear the the World Health Organisation is reviewing its advice about face masks. I snatched a couple of similar articles ......if you 'google' face masks you'll see a range of articles, I expect.
---------------------------------------------------
MDH: Wearing homemade facemasks in public "Not a bad idea"
KARE11.com-3 hours ago
MDH: Wearing homemade facemasks in public "Not a bad idea". How masks could help and what you need to know if you want to make your own ...
------------------------------------------------------
Trump backs Americans covering faces as task force debates ...
ABC News-14 hours ago
Trump backs Americans covering faces as task force debates mask ... "It's not a bad idea, at least for a period of time" to cover your face when ...
---------------------------------------------------------

Is this one reason why Western pandemic graphs differ significantly from Korean, where everybody wears face masks?
Of course, one need not be a genius to understand how effficient a facemask is

But it's also obvious why they did not tell the truth

They had not enough facemasks, so if they would tell they were important, people would get upset

You don't want too many upset people, specially not when they are upset they might die

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Common sense?

Thankyou for your post, Unveiled Artist.

Well, at the moment the World Health Organisation is reviewing its advice about face masks.
Common sense is great, but we do need all our experts to agree with each other as well..... :)

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
The advice is changing at this time.
President Trump is advising the use of a scarf, and many people around here (Kent UK) are usings scarves to cover their faces. But simple face masks are being seen more and more.
Maybe the Koreans have got it right? Maybe they have used more common sense than us?

Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
Why? You shouldn't be anywhere outside your home isolation if you are doing either. But if you get caught out somewhere, to cover face until at home would be good.

Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
I want to hear what new advice the WHO gives.
I would definitely wear a face mask if I has to take a journey opn a train, tube, bus etc......

If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.
My wife wants us to make some washable face masks this afternoon.......... at this time there don't seem to be too many real experts about.

This older WHO video is under review, and the WHO has just announced that it is reconsidering about how, when and where to use face masks.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I have a couple of masks - bought some time back for work in the garden and clearing overgrowth in a greenhouse - and the only reason I will likely wear one (FFP3 type) is if it becomes mandatory whilst shopping (as in Austria) or to give confidence to others that I won't be spreading anything. I might even start wearing gloves but I am quite religious in using hand sanitiser during shopping and washing my hands frequently anyway. I'm still not confident I won't catch it though. And of course if I had to use it frequently then I would treat it as being contaminated.

Snap!
My wife managed to get hold of a litre of Isoptopyl 99.9% alcohol and we have been making cleaners by mixing 75% isopropyl with 25% vodka and a little after shave 'perfume'.

I would wear a mask now if shopping or amongst others.

Hildeburh

No, Korea did an amazing job in halting transmission by large scale testing, contact tracing and isolating.

Standard surgical masks are designed to provide a barrier to splashes and droplets contacting the nose, mouth and respiratory tract, they are not designed to prevent the inhalation of small airborne particles in aerosol generating situations; such as sneezing, coughing and secondary aerosolisation from sufaces (studies on SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 show that the virus persists on surfaces)

Face masks to be effective must tightly fit the user’s face, such as the N95 which must be used with eye protection. Aerosol virus can also enter the eyes infecting patients and are transmitted by touching infected surfaces.

To date there have not been any studies in the effectiveness standard surgical masks or home made masks in decreasing or preventing the transmission of coronaviruses in the general population.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Also interesting why so many (esp. Americans) on RF believe WHO and Government blindly,
that they even called others stupid and calling it nonsense, if they questioned certain things.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Heyo...... I did not write that..... true? That was from a media report.
But.... yes..... I'm not against wearing masks at all.
That "you" wasn't meant personal but for all, just as the question wasn't meant as a personal question.
The WHO is reviewing the value of all masks at present.
German lawmakers are discussing to make them obligatory.
You had the flu? How did you manage?
Are you young and fit or old and ragged like me?
"I'm not old. I just feel decepid, & have had a few too many birthdays." - Revoltingest
I'm generally of good physical health, walk barefoot 24/7/365 and it was the first flu in my life. Had fever and muscle pain for a few days.

I get a free flu-jab every year, and so does everybody over a certain age in the UK.
I think I could get it but I'm everything but a social hub, so it's not really worth it.

Asians often wear 'pollution masks', so masks are more common in general and there is less resistance to wearing them. If it helps with pollution then of course it helps with virus kind of thing.

Westerners have to get over the the fact that they feel like a bit of a wanker wearing one in public, and this is compounded by people saying 'you don't need to wear a mask unless you are ill'.

Obviously, however, a mask helps prevent spread and the 'no mask' brigade are, at best, criminally negligent.

exchemist

Veteran Member
:D Like it!

I have a thin beard, just a bit more than a celebrity grizzle or frizz (!), but if I am ever required to go in to a confined space like a bus (or whatever) then I would wear one.

What niggled me back in February was that so many people were put off wearing masks by news reports, resulting in folks being embarrassed to wear them. That's all dissipating now and if a person feels better (looks better! :D ) with a mask then.... OK.
What I can't help thinking is that fundamentalist muslim women must be thinking the joke's on the rest of us, now. :D