• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sister Beck's Talk

madhatter85

Transhumanist
*sigh*

It's not the pattern from the source documents that women have a special calling to do the dishes.

*sigh again*

I think I'm done here, but I'm sure she'll give us fodder for next Monday. Stay tuned.

For her, it may be that having a clean home makes her proud and that she takes care of it because she feels it is neccisary for her to do.

it should be that way for every woman, as in they should do the things in thier home no matter what it is that make thier home better for thier children.

maybe for her waiting until her husband gets home from work and do the dishes does not work. maybe she needs them done sooner, maybe they have a small sink.

maybe she feels it is a good trade off for the stress and such that "the working man" is put under at work for her to take care of the house. maybe for her that is being "equally yoked"

the point is there should be no contention in the home when both the mother and the father are prepared to help one another when they need it most, with anything and at any time, and always want to make the other person happy. and maybe for beck that is doing the dishes.

so she shares with those whom she has been appointed a steward over how she best achieves happiness in the home. I'm sure she knows she is not perfect, i'm sure that she feels like a failure sometimes. but does that get her upset tot he point of rebellion? no i'm sure it doesn't......

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
FFH said:
All of my brothers and sisters and I have been married in the temple and my brothers and I all went on foreign missions, Italy, Taiwan and Japan.
When I read this statement, I couldn't help but imagine how heartbroken FFH's parents would have been had their three perfect sons been called to serve in Rock Springs, Wyoming; Tonapah, Nevada; and Rigby, Idaho. I mean, can you even imagine the utter humiliation of not having your sons be called to service foreign missions! :faint:

(Oh, heck, I'm on a roll. Might as well keep it up till I run out of steam.) :D

madhatter85

Transhumanist
When I read this statement, I couldn't help but imagine how heartbroken FFH's parents would have been had their three perfect sons been called to serve in Rock Springs, Wyoming; Tonapah, Nevada; and Rigby, Idaho. I mean, can you even imagine the utter humiliation of not having your sons be called to service foreign missions! :faint:

(Oh, heck, I'm on a roll. Might as well keep it up till I run out of steam.) :D

Serving a mission in taiwan is just as presigious as serving a mission in Minot North Dakota, or even Ogden Utah, or Atlanta Georga.

it's a call to serve, "The worth of souls is great in the eyes of the lord" no matter where you go it is a very proud moment for anyone.

It's not about where you go but HOW you go and WHAT you do when you get there.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Serving a mission in taiwan is just as presigious as serving a mission in Minot North Dakota, or even Ogden Utah, or Atlanta Georga.

it's a call to serve, "The worth of souls is great in the eyes of the lord" no matter where you go it is a very proud moment for anyone.

It's not about where you go but HOW you go and WHAT you do when you get there.

It's called sarcasm, ever use it? ;)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Not me. I'm sick to death of it and haven't commented for a long time, as I thought I'd said pretty much everything I had to say on the subject. But if there is one thing in this world I absolutely cannot tolerate it's self-righteous people. I doubt I'll have anything more to say on this subject, because anything I might be inclined to contribute from here on out would involve language no perfect LDS woman like myself should be using. :D

Amen Katz.

Amen.

I've gotten over it, but when people keeping drudging it up to point out how "inspired," or "great" her words are, it's a bit annoying, doncha think?

Bishka

Veteran Member
I make double what we need to survive on, so no real need for her to work and that's the way SHE wants it.

That's her.

I'm me and hundreds and thousands of women are themselves, not your wife. We aren't all going to want or even being stay-at-home wifes or mothers. We know what we need in our situation and preaching and telling us the "virtues" of being a SAHM/W is rude and inconsiderate.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Some people evidently think it's more prestigious. Why do you think FFH specifically mentioned that he and his brothers all served "foreign missions"? I can guanantee you he sees a distinction there.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I know, I purposely did NOT post in this thead until you guys calmed down a bit about this subject, knowing it would be a sore spot with many of you if I agreed with her's AND the church's position of women not working and staying in the home, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

Then why post here at all?

I really does bring peace into the home. "Peace that passes all understanding"....

Then why post here at all?

Ego slip there FFH?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
People harass my wife for NOT working, just as much as you may be harassed FOR working.

It was enough to blow her right out the church for 8 years. She ignores those who oppose her position now.

There is opposition on both ends of this issue. She gets harassed/challenged on a regular basis still.
It's funny then that you haven't learned from her experience. One would think that you'd have picked up on how much damage a judgmental attitude can do towards driving people away from the Church, but I guess what's obvious to me is clearly not obvious to you. Maybe I'll just take a hint from your wife and ignore people who harass me because of my choices. I guess that means you and I won't be talking much in the future, FFH.

nutshell

Looking back on it I guess I made that distinction to show that we were secure enough in who we were to leave home and serve in a foreign country at a young age. It was no big deal for us, but we were scared for sure, not knowing if we'ld make it the whole two years. One of our friends didn't make it back from his mission, he was shot and killed in South America (Jeff Ball) Google him he might turn up. We felt safe where we were going though, but still it pushed us to our limits being in these foreign countries at a young age. I wanted out half way through my mission, then something clicked and I didn't want to come home, nor did my other brothers.

We weren't mamma's boys I guess is what I was trying to say. We weren't afraid of a little work, by leaving home for a couple of years and serving in a foreign country/environment. Our parents didn't baby us. My brother went to Taipei, Taiwan and it took all he had to suck up and go there. The smell was horrific there, he said, and the food pretty bad, he got used to it, though. Italy is no cake walk either, neither is Japan, if you're pushing LDS religion on them. It took all we had to push through the opposition we felt there. Our mothers trained us well and we all made it the full two years without opting out, like many of our friends ended up doing, by coming home early off their foreign missions.

You don't get it.

You're still framing a foreign mission as something more than a domestic mission.

nutshell

Whether you or Becky work or not has no bearing on my life, my salvation or my exaltation whatsoever, so why should I care if you or Becky or any other woman works or not, that's your choice and that's the way God wants it to be. All the church or anyone else is saying is, hey, try this out, see if it works for you, if not, oh well...

It works for us as well as Madhatter apparently...

I'll guarantee you we're happier for doing so. I have peace that I can't describe. Not much bothers me AT ALL. I've stupidly lost thousands in the stock market, it makes no difference to me, money is nothing to me, of course I'ld like to have a boat load of it and I still try my hand at the stock market to regain my losses, which I eventually always seem to do, but it's more of a game with me, rather than a means to an end, and if I gain some money great, but if I don't, oh well, I don't really need it.

"We have sufficient for our needs"

Where have we heard that statement before ????

My wife's parents have both passed on also and they had a rich uncle who left them a bunch of money, so she (my wife) literally has a boat load of money in the bank. Her accounts are seperate from mine, which is the way we both want it, in case something happens to me. God has blessed her well beyond what she could have ever earned in a lifetime of work at any job. She put in a good 6 or 7 years at Wendy's though. That's enough to make anyone not want to work the rest of their natural lives.

She has plenty of money, more than she needs, but God didn't bless her with money until she chose to obey this simple commandment to stay home, "where possible" and not work. She does do A LOT of temple work now though.

Whether she has kids or not, "women have claim upon their husbands for their maintenance". (see D&C scripture previously posted).

She has an inheritance from her rich uncle that most would give their right arm for, but she doesn't touch it, just uses what she needs from the interest, which is a good amount each month, although that is diminishing with the interest rates falling as they are.

The problem with Beck was in the interpretation and delivery. Instead of putting women on a pedastal, she put them barefoot and pregnant, doing the almight calling of cooking and cleaning (while the husbands play ward basketball, go on campouts with the Scouts, help other families move in/out, do pinewood derby, and so on).

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
The problem with Beck was in the interpretation and delivery. Instead of putting women on a pedastal, she put them barefoot and pregnant, doing the almight calling of cooking and cleaning (while the husbands play ward basketball, go on campouts with the Scouts, help other families move in/out, do pinewood derby, and so on).

Hmm. I didn't get any of that out of what she said, both in the talk and out of it.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I'm curious how name-dropping and any of this is relevant to the conversation.

BONNIE PARKIN (General Relief Society President 02' to 07') taught us as young adults. She was also my sunday school teacher as a kid. I learned a lot from her and the example set forth by my mother.

Bonnie Parkin would give us rides to high school each morning to give the other mothers a break. She drove so fast each morning, it terrified us all, but we could always count on her showing up to pick us up when my mother or the other mothers were too tired and needed a break, she would always volunteer.

One of our friends didn't make it back from his mission, he was shot and killed in South America (Jeff Ball) Google him he might turn up.

My wife's parents have both passed on also and they had a rich uncle who left them a bunch of money, so she (my wife) literally has a boat load of money in the bank.

She has plenty of money, more than she needs, but God didn't bless her with money until she chose to obey this simple commandment to stay home, "where possible" and not work. She does do A LOT of temple work now though.

That is not true.

I have money, actually much more then I would if I "stayed home" Not all situations are alike, you cannot apply that line of thinking to everyone. Not everyone who pays their tithing is financially blessed and not everyone who stays home is financially blessed.

She has an inheritance from her rich uncle that most would give their right arm for, .

We don't need anymore money and I only make a measly 8 bucks an hour but work 80 hours a week, so that works out to be a 800 a week because of overtime pay, which is enough to pay all our expenses just in that one week alone and I still have a few extra bucks and three weeks worth of pay left to go each month, minus taxes and tithing of course, which takes a big chunk.

I literally grew up with Bonnie Parkin (General Relief Society Presdident from 02' to 07', prior to Julie Beck, who is the current General Relief Society President)

I grew up with Bonnie Parkin's kids,

You really think all this name dropping and how much money you have is necessary?
It reeks of pride, or do you not remember President Kimball's big talk, "Beware of Pride?"

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Becky,

yes i knwofor the fact that most oft he LDS populous agree with beck wholeheartedly.

go to www.ldstak.com or any other all LDS forums and try debating it there. there was a thread on that forum soemone made specifically about this thread here, and literally ALL of the LDS members agreed with FFH, Myself and Beck, the onyl ones who disagreed are the ones who are inactive or having personal difficulties with the church which was all of two people on LDStalk.com that Was Elphba and Aphrodite.

i go to church and i ask people what they thought of it, i have yet to find anyoen who disagrees with beck, except those who are lacking in spiritual knowledge or a testimony of the gospel or otherwise inactive.