• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sister Beck's Talk

DeepShadow

White Crow
So it's men's special callings to cook and clean too?

I accept that. Perhaps part of the point here is an elevation of these tasks out of the connotation of drudgery. I believe that cooking and cleaning are divine callings, and that they help us get closer to God. I'm glad to share in these special callings with my wife.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
So it's men's special callings to cook and clean too?

From what I heard during the broadcast i would consider cooking and cleaning part of both husband and wive's special calling as parents. The cooking and cleaning aren't special callings in themselves but are part of the special calling of parent, homeowner, family, etc.

During the broadcast they said something like this: Cooking and cleaning are the parents responsibility but they should also delegate those to children.

It was something like that.

nutshell

From what I heard during the broadcast i would consider cooking and cleaning part of both husband and wive's special calling as parents. The cooking and cleaning aren't special callings in themselves but are part of the special calling of parent, homeowner, family, etc.

During the broadcast they said something like this: Cooking and cleaning are the parents responsibility but they should also delegate those to children.

It was something like that.

That's nice to hear.

I'm glad Beck's errors and sexism are being corrected.

FFH

Veteran Member
What did you think of it?

Link here
I stumbled upon this audio link to her talk a while back, a video montage with her voice only... (see link below)

Mothers need to be involved with their kids. My mom never worked while we were at home. We lived on a tight budget, but had what we needed. We earned our own money for the things we wanted, which made us much more responsible than we would have otherwise been. All of my brothers and sisters and I have been married in the temple and my brothers and I all went on foreign missions, Italy, Taiwan and Japan.

My mother taught me the value of paying tithing when I first started receiving money at the age of 8. We were all baptized at 8 and went to church every week, unless we were at our cabin, which was nearly every week or every other week in the summer, my mother and father rarely ever discussed the gospel in the home, their examples were enough, plus we were taught all we needed to know at church of course.

We played nearly every weekend as a family, I spent much more time with my family growing up, rather than with friends.

We had a cabin we built ourselves and spent nearly every weekend there, during the summer, and about once a month in the winter, growing up. This built a strong family that has withstood the many buffetings satan has thrown at us all. We have had our share of disagreements but always seem to make up or agree to disagree and move on with our lives. I'm not very close with my family now, but we're really all to busy trying to make ends meet it seems, not much time for fun these days it seems.

Natural Family Blog: General Conference Archives ~ Julie Beck's talk: Mothers Who Know

nutshell

FFH, your post is full of personal experiences, but really has nothing to say about Beck's talk.

I can't wait for this weekend.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Worldwide leadership training meeting.

the 2 and a half hour logn broadcast weant for the entire body of the church in regards to strengthening the family.

prefect analogy given by the apostle conducting was that of a pattern for a shirt in the very beginning.

The Lord set the pattern, it is up to us to follow it. circumstances change and adjustments of patterns are neccisary, but the pattern is still there to be followed as best as possible.

The leaders of the church support beck's talk and it is apprent in all of the recent discussions following her talk that sparked controversy. especialyl noticing how she is invited to all of them to talk and discuss the family and how to strengthen the family.

I also can't wait for general conference, all of the wonderful messages to be given.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
All I have to say about your last couple of posts, FFH, is that they make me want to throw up. This whole "My mother was perfect; therefore, all of us kids turned out perfect" crap absolutely disgusts the hell out of me. There is no magic formula for having perfect kids (like you and your siblings), and people who think there is are pathetic. I can guarantee you that they drive more good people out of the church than all of the other "evils" in the world combined.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
my mother was a single mother trying to make ends meet.

she also knew what was important in life and she made it possible for her to be at home with me and be able to work.

She drove Cab at night while i slept and stayed at home with me during the day.

untill her health failed her in a very bad way. then she was on disability for the rest of her life untill she passed away this december.

She could not follow the patter exactly, she was never married in the temple though she desired it most above all and tried dating but unfortunately the only prospective father figure i had ditched her for a skinnier woman.

The leaders of the church realize that there are always circumstances that are beyond our control, and so does the Lord. But there is still the pattern.

The pattern stays and always will be there for us to work towards.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
my mother was a single mother trying to make ends meet.

she also knew what was important in life and she made it possible for her to be at home with me and be able to work.
Well, my mother was a stay-at-home mother. Like FFH's mother, she did all the "right" things. My sister is now an agnostic married to an atheist.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Well, my mother was a stay-at-home mother. Like FFH's mother, she did all the "right" things. My sister is now an agnostic married to an atheist.

so? that may not have anything to do with your mother being a stay-at-home mom. or anything for that matter.

people all have thier own descisions to make. parents will try thier best and that is all that is required of them.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
i'm kind of saddened that people still take offense to her talk especially when they know the source in which these teachings come from :(

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm so glad this thread was brought back.
Not me. I'm sick to death of it and haven't commented for a long time, as I thought I'd said pretty much everything I had to say on the subject. But if there is one thing in this world I absolutely cannot tolerate it's self-righteous people. I doubt I'll have anything more to say on this subject, because anything I might be inclined to contribute from here on out would involve language no perfect LDS woman like myself should be using. :D

nutshell

Not me. I'm sick to death of it and haven't commented for a long time, as I thought I'd said pretty much everything I had to say on the subject. But if there is one thing in this world I absolutely cannot tolerate it's self-righteous people. I doubt I'll have anything more to say on this subject, because anything I might be inclined to contribute from here on out would involve language no perfect LDS woman like myself should be using. :D

I was being sarcastic.

nutshell

The problem isn't the source. It's her interpretation and framing of the issue that's a problem.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
The problem isn't the source. It's her interpretation and framing of the issue that's a problem.

It's not her interpitation. it's the patter and her talk ahs been indirectly addressed by the entire apostleship over the last few conferences and broadcasts dedicated specifically to "The Family"

it is the interpitation of her words that has everyone on edge. some people see it one way, and some people see it another.

It happens with everything that is spoken about, some people see things one way while some see it another. it's always going to be that way.

It's about the "prefecting of the saints", we are striving for perfect, though we know we can never achieve it we are commanded to come as close as we can and through Christ's grace we are able to make it.

Strengthening the Family, Perfecting the saints. these are the things we strive for every day, each and every one of us, some go about it differently than others, but at elast we all have a patern to follow and to try as best as we can to follow it.

nutshell

It's not her interpitation. it's the patter and her talk ahs been indirectly addressed by the entire apostleship over the last few conferences and broadcasts dedicated specifically to "The Family"

it is the interpitation of her words that has everyone on edge. some people see it one way, and some people see it another.

It happens with everything that is spoken about, some people see things one way while some see it another. it's always going to be that way.

It's about the "prefecting of the saints", we are striving for perfect, though we know we can never achieve it we are commanded to come as close as we can and through Christ's grace we are able to make it.

Strengthening the Family, Perfecting the saints. these are the things we strive for every day, each and every one of us, some go about it differently than others, but at elast we all have a patern to follow and to try as best as we can to follow it.

*sigh*

It's not the pattern from the source documents that women have a special calling to do the dishes.

*sigh again*

I think I'm done here, but I'm sure she'll give us fodder for next Monday. Stay tuned.