• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sister Beck's Talk

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
People harass my wife for NOT working, just as much as you may be harassed FOR working.

It was enough to blow her right out the church for 8 years. She ignores those who oppose her position now.

There is opposition on both ends of this issue. She gets harassed/challenged on a regular basis still.

One person in the ward literally thought she was blind, simply because she didn't work. :shrug: What's up with that ???
Well, I don't know your wife, but I appreciate her and others like her. In our ward we have a number of ongoing service projects that are carried by a small handfull of the women. There are very few of us available to participate. So many women have children at home, or work full time. Since I used to be that mother with the small kids, I'm happy to do the volunteer work now, rather than then. But it is always the same names on the sign-up sheets. I did work for a time, but we didn't need it financially, so I decided that my time was better spent volunteering. (For those who HAVE to work outside the home, they have my admiration for their discipline and perseverance. Most women that I know would rather not.)

nutshell

Becky,

yes i knwofor the fact that most oft he LDS populous agree with beck wholeheartedly.

go to www.ldstak.com or any other all LDS forums and try debating it there. there was a thread on that forum soemone made specifically about this thread here, and literally ALL of the LDS members agreed with FFH, Myself and Beck, the onyl ones who disagreed are the ones who are inactive or having personal difficulties with the church which was all of two people on LDStalk.com that Was Elphba and Aphrodite.

i go to church and i ask people what they thought of it, i have yet to find anyoen who disagrees with beck, except those who are lacking in spiritual knowledge or a testimony of the gospel or otherwise inactive.

So why does a card-carrying, active, calling-holding, charity-giving person like myself disagree? I am not lacking in spiritual knowledge or testimony, you pompous donkey.

nutshell

I would like to clarify my position: I have no problem with the leaders teaching that a parent should be in the home raising the kids in righteousness. My problem is when, instead of elevating this sacred calling, they downgrade it to cooking and cleaning.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I would like to clarify my position: I have no problem with the leaders teaching that a parent should be in the home raising the kids in righteousness. My problem is when, instead of elevating this sacred calling, they downgrade it to cooking and cleaning.

then my question to you, why do you think Doing housework is degrading? i don't think it is degrading one bit.

Bishka

Veteran Member
yes i knwofor the fact that most oft he LDS populous agree with beck wholeheartedly.

So you've spoken to them and the people on this website you gave represent the entire Church population? :rolleyes:

i go to church and i ask people what they thought of it, i have yet to find anyoen who disagrees with beck, except those who are lacking in spiritual knowledge or a testimony of the gospel or otherwise inactive.

So let's see, myself, Nutshell and Katzpur are all "lacking in spiritual knowledge," and a "testimony?" :cover:

And that's why we all carry a temple recommend, go to Church and have a testimony. :yes:

I've found a couple right here in merry ole' Rexburg that have disagreed with what she has said.

So your little diatribe is false and prideful.

;)

Starfish

Please no sarcasm

But the reality is, it DOES involve cooking and cleaning. It's called serving those you love.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
i have yet to find anyoen who disagrees with beck, except those who are lacking in spiritual knowledge or a testimony of the gospel or otherwise inactive.
Who died and made you God anyway? You are so full of **it. You don't know jack about my spiritual knowledge or testimony of the gospel.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Who died and made you God anyway? You are so full of **it. You don't know jack about my spiritual knowledge or testimony of the gospel.

I'm tellign you my experience in asking people what they thought about her talk.

I'm not full of poo and i'm sorry if i upset you, I did not come here to argue. I'm not judging these people who i have talked to, it was from thier own lips.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
So you've spoken to them and the people on this website you gave represent the entire Church population? :rolleyes:

So let's see, myself, Nutshell and Katzpur are all "lacking in spiritual knowledge," and a "testimony?" :cover:

And that's why we all carry a temple recommend, go to Church and have a testimony. :yes:

I've found a couple right here in merry ole' Rexburg that have disagreed with what she has said.

So your little diatribe is false and prideful.

;)
sure, one couple, now just go get a posse together and go lynch Sister beck then (Sarcasm for those who don't know)

It's fine you have one way of looking at it, and i have a different view point, and a different experience with the people i am around in my corner of the US.

If you want to get mad and moan and cry about sister beck and the pattern which was laid out for us to follow by the savior, nobody is going to stop you. you have your own descisions to make.

"Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling before the lord" - BoM

I know for a fact that "the mold" is not applicable to everyone, I know because my mom did not fit the "Mold" nor has some of my family. But they all agree on one thing... the pattern, they aknowledge the pattern is set and they try thier best to follow that pattern.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm tellign you my experience in asking people what they thought about her talk.

I'm not full of poo and i'm sorry if i upset you, I did not come here to argue. I'm not judging these people who i have talked to, it was from thier own lips.
I'm referring to your own statement that " i have yet to find anyoen who disagrees with beck, except those who are lacking in spiritual knowledge or a testimony of the gospel or otherwise inactive." How do you know who's lacking in spiritual knowledge or whose testimony of the gospel isn't strong? How arrogant can you get! Are you saying that the people you talked to said, "I disagree with Sister Beck's talk, but then my testimony is really pretty week and I'm so lacking in spiritual knowledge,"? Because if that's not what they told you, then this assessment wasn't from their lips at all, but from yours. It's called judging, and I can assure you the Lord doesn't look kindly on it.

Bishka

Veteran Member
sure, one couple, now just go get a posse together and go lynch Sister beck then (Sarcasm for those who don't know)

My intent wasn't to "lynch Sister Beck," and I'm curious why people keep reviving this topic after I've made it quite clear I'm over it.

"Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling before the lord" - BoM

Nice advice. You should consider taking it. :cool:

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting Feb 2008

i would suggest watching this, it's an amazing discussion with Jeffrey R. Holland conducting,
his transcript here -
Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting Feb 2008
he talks about the pattern specifically.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Julie B. Beck
Susan W. Tanner
Cheryl C. Lant

the list of those in a roundtable discussion for the main body of the meeting abotu building up a righteous posterity.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I'm referring to your own statement that " i have yet to find anyoen who disagrees with beck, except those who are lacking in spiritual knowledge or a testimony of the gospel or otherwise inactive." How do you know who's lacking in spiritual knowledge or whose testimony of the gospel isn't strong? How arrogant can you get! Are you saying that the people you talked to said, "I disagree with Sister Beck's talk, but then my testimony is really pretty week and I'm so lacking in spiritual knowledge,"? Because if that's not what they told you, then this assessment wasn't from their lips at all, but from yours. It's called judging, and I can assure you the Lord doesn't look kindly on it.

say what you will about me. I'm not attacking you personally.

Have you, nutshell, and Becky Seen the Worldwide leadership trainign boradcast which all of the church was invited to attend?

it's really a wonderful program

Bishka

Veteran Member
say what you will about me. I'm not attacking you personally.

You are when you stated

You may not have mentioned our names personally, but saying this is talkinga bout anybody who disagrees with Sister Beck's talk. It is personal.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I'll quote the best part here -

Patterns and Replicas
Let me use a parable that I hope can make this point, whatever your marital or family circumstance. For lack of a better title, I call it “The Parable of the Homemade Shirt.” My mother, bless her, was a marvelous seamstress. In my childhood years, when money was short and new clothing hard to come by, she would sometimes make clothing for us to wear to school. I would see a shirt in a store window or in a mail-order catalogue, and my mother would say, “I think I can make that.” By looking at the shirt as closely as she could, she would then cut cloth and put in seams to a degree that was close to the expensive original.
I pay her the tribute of being both willing and able to do that. But she didn’t like to do it that way. While she could study the commercial product and come close, what she really wanted was a pattern. A pattern helped her anticipate angles and corners and seams and stitches that were otherwise hard to recognize. Furthermore, if she went back for a second or a third shirt, she was always working from a perfect original pattern, not repeating or multiplying the imperfections of a replica.
I think you can see my point and hers. We are bound to be in trouble if a shirt is made from a shirt that was made from a shirt. A mistake or two in the first product—inevitable without a pattern—gets repeated and exaggerated, intensified, more awkward, the more repetitions we make, until finally this thing I’m to wear to school just doesn’t fit. One sleeve’s too long. The other’s too short. One shoulder seam runs down my chest. The other runs down my back. And the front collar button fastens behind my neck. I can tell you right now that such a look is not going to go over well in the seventh grade.

The Ideal Pattern from God
Now, I hope this helps you understand why we talk about the pattern, the ideal, of marriage and family when we know full well that not everyone now lives in that ideal circumstance. It is precisely because many don’t have, or perhaps have never even seen, that ideal and because some cultural forces steadily move us away from that ideal, that we speak about what our Father in Heaven wishes for us in His eternal plan for His children.

Individual adaptations have to be made as marital status and family circumstances differ. But all of us can agree on the pattern as it comes from God, and we can strive for its realization the best way we can.

We who are General Authorities and general officers are called to teach His general rules. You and we then lead specific lives and must seek the Lord’s guidance regarding specific circumstances. But there would be mass confusion and loss of gospel promises if no general ideal and no doctrinal standard were established and, in our case today, repeated. We take great strength in knowing the Lord has spoken on these matters, and we accept His counsel even when it might not be popular.
Thank you for understanding why we are concerned about protecting all members of families, whatever your age, and why we speak in opposition to trends or forces that would seek to destroy any aspect of God’s eternal plan of happiness. How grateful we are that the Lord has said, “I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that ye may not be deceived” (D&C 52:14)

madhatter85

Transhumanist
You are when you stated

You may not have mentioned our names personally, but saying this is talkinga bout anybody who disagrees with Sister Beck's talk. It is personal.

then you can take a general term personally if you wish, just like you did with beck's speech. That's up to you, i can't help you with that:(