• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sister Beck's Talk

madhatter85

Transhumanist
All i'm re-enforcing here is that Sister Beck's talk outlines the pattern.

the patter is there and has been set to be followed. i wholeheartedly agree with her.

It's not a debate, it's how it is.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I've decided to delete all my posts in this thread, as many as can be deleted.

Peace out.

Have at it.

Don't do that, it is unneccsary.

i think you contributed a great deal to this thread, and fromw hat i read i don't think you soudned pompus, but of course people are proud of what they have accomplished in thier lifetime so it does come out no matter how humble we are.

There is nothing wrong with taking pride in your work, the only time it becomes a problem is when it becomes an "i'm better than you" perspective.

i don't feel your posts portrayed that.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
It doesn't matter, it's just a forum, we're all just babbling.

I've had the privelege of associating personally with a couple of the current general authority's kids and I've seen the gospel work in their lives, like it should work in all of ours. I know the gospel works if you work it.

Julie Beck gave an excellent talk. Heed her's and the church's council and you WILL prosper and raise righteous kids.

It may be "just a forum" but it is also a missionary tool as well. we need to be more concious that the entire world can readt his and if we are squablling like little children it doesn't look good for us.

and i totalyl agree with you.

Reactions: FFH

silvermoon383

It doesn't matter, it's just a forum, we're all just babbling.

I've had the privelege, however, of associating personally with a couple of the current general authority's kids and I've seen the gospel work in their lives, like it should work in all of ours. I've felt their strong CHRIST-like spirits. You don't foget stuff like that. I know the gospel works if you work it.

Julie Beck gave an excellent talk. Heed her's and the church's council and you WILL prosper and raise righteous kids.

Someday soon we will live and raise our kids in "light and truth" under Christ's direct leadership.

There goes the name dropping again. Let me tell you something mister, not all of us get the opportunity to live in Perfect City, Utah surrounded by GA's and their kids. I don't care who the parents are, I can tell you that I know people who have spirituality that compares to any GA's, and their kids as well. Stop dropping names or hinting at them, they do nothing more than make other people wonder just what qualifications you have.

Latch yourself onto someone else constantly and you have no foundation of your own. Remember that.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
There's nothing I can do about your reading comprehension.
Nor do you need to. Some of us here simply disagree with you, which we have the right to, without our comprehension being criticized.

I admire Sis. Beck's courage to say what she really believes, inspite of the controversy, and I look forward to hearing more from her this weekend.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
say what you will about me.
I wish I could, but I don't want to get banned.

I'm not attacking you personally.
The hell you're not.

This thread has evolved from being a discussion of SIster Beck's talk to being an attack on the spirituality of people of this forum. I couldn't care less at this point about what you all think of Sister Beck's talk. We all know by now what every other Latter-day Saint on this forum thinks. Now a couple of you are sitting in judgment of those of us who didn't care for the talk. I know I keep saying that I'm done with this thread, but this time I mean it. I have just one last thing to say, after which I'm not going to waste any more of my time here...

There is no one on the face of this earth who has the right to tell me if or when I should have children, how many children I should have, when I should have them or how far apart I should space them. No one. Not my Bishop, not my Stake President, not the Prophet. This is a personal decision. It's between me, my husband and my Heavenly Father. Whether I choose to work outside the home or not is also a decision that no one is entitled to make for me. Furthermore, I should not have to defend my decisions to anyone who implies that, just because I don't see things his way, I am less spiritual than he is or that my testimony is weaker than his. We're all in the same boat here. We're all doing our best to strengthen our families and serve the Lord. The last thing we need is contention between us. I wish you'd never come back, MH. It was a lot more pleasant around here without you.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I wish I could, but I don't want to get banned.

The hell you're not.

This thread has evolved from being a discussion of SIster Beck's talk to being an attack on the spirituality of people of this forum. I couldn't care less at this point about what you all think of Sister Beck's talk. We all know by now what every other Latter-day Saint on this forum thinks. Now a couple of you are sitting in judgment of those of us who didn't care for the talk. I know I keep saying that I'm done with this thread, but this time I mean it. I have just one last thing to say, after which I'm not going to waste any more of my time here...

There is no one on the face of this earth who has the right to tell me if or when I should have children, how many children I should have, when I should have them or how far apart I should space them. No one. Not my Bishop, not my Stake President, not the Prophet. This is a personal decision. It's between me, my husband and my Heavenly Father. Whether I choose to work outside the home or not is also a decision that no one is entitled to make for me. Furthermore, I should not have to defend my decisions to anyone who implies that, just because I don't see things his way, I am less spiritual than he is or that my testimony is weaker than his. We're all in the same boat here. We're all doing our best to strengthen our families and serve the Lord. The last thing we need is contention between us. I wish you'd never come back, MH. It was a lot more pleasant around here without you.

Katz, i never meant to imply that i think my testimony is "stronger than yours" or that i am more spiritual than you. it was never my intention and hope you can see that. when i made that generalization it was about the people i have met persoanlly. I do not know you personally, all i know is an avatar and a buch of paragraphs about you. This was supposed to be an objective observation from my stand-point.

I totally agree with you that it is between you, your husband and your heavenly father. i don't know why you think i'm arguing with you on that fact. nobody should be making your descisions for you. as i have stated before, everyone hast hier own descisions to make.

the only thing i am restating is that the pattern has been set by the Lord to be followed as far as is possible. it's what the prophets have stated repeatedly.

Personal adaptation is required because of personal differences in circumstances. We are all int he same boat, I am happy for my family that we can actually follow the pattern completely without alteration because it is possible for us.

My mother couldn't follow the pattern and she is one of the most faithful and spiritual people i have ever met. The difference is that she tried to follow the pattern to the best of her capability.

We are all about strengthening our families and this is why we have prophets, soley for the perfecting of the saints untill all come to a unity in faith.

The 1st session of general conference was wonderul today and i can't wait to hear more from our beloved prophets.

My previous attitude in discussin sister becks talk before i was temporarily bannd was wrong, yes. but you are placing that attitude back on me where it is no longer present. And i hope you can forgive my previous statements and how i presented the idea, i was a little more combatant and argumentive then. I'm back to stay and to try and help those on this and other forums who are not of our faith learn more about the gospel. And also to learn from the other saints who are ont his forum who know a great deal more than i do.

I'm glad that i am back and i plan to make the best of it :)

silvermoon383

My previous attitude in discussin sister becks talk before i was temporarily bannd was wrong, yes. but you are placing that attitude back on me where it is no longer present. And i hope you can forgive my previous statements and how i presented the idea, i was a little more combatant and argumentive then. I'm back to stay and to try and help those on this and other forums who are not of our faith learn more about the gospel. And also to learn from the other saints who are ont his forum who know a great deal more than i do.

Could've fooled me...

DeepShadow

White Crow
My previous attitude in discussin sister becks talk before i was temporarily bannd was wrong, yes. but you are placing that attitude back on me where it is no longer present. And i hope you can forgive my previous statements and how i presented the idea, i was a little more combatant and argumentive then.

To be honest, I don't know how I feel that you are back, MH. When you were here before, I spend more time correcting you than I did the random anti-Mormon trolls. Maybe that was my bias; I hold LDS to a higher standard, because we are supposed to be the light of the world. I find it far less offensive when an ignorant troll fires off something (s)he overheard once, than when a fellow LDS repeats a Mormon myth.

That being said, I respect you for this apology. Inasmuch as you offended me, I forgive you. I am reminded of what Joseph Smith wrote to W. W. Phelps after Phelps returned from apostasy:

"It is true that we have suffered much in consequence of your behavior--the cup of gall already full enough for mortals to drink, was indeed filled to overflowing when you turned against us.

"One with whom we had oft taken sweet counsel together, and enjoyed many refreshing seasons from the Lord--'had it been an enemy we could have borne it.' However, the cup has been drunk, the will of our Father has been done, and we are yet alive, for which we thank the Lord. And having been delivered from the hands of wicked men by the mercy of our God, we say it is your privilege to be delivered from the powers of the adversary, be brought into the liberty of God's dear children, and again take your stand among the saints of the Most High, and by diligence, humility, and love unfeigned, commend yourself to our God, and your God, and to the Church of Jesus Christ.

"Believing your confession to be real, and your repentance genuine, I shall be happy once again to give you the right hand of fellowship, and rejoice over the returning prodigal.

"Come on, dear brother, since the war is past, for friends at first are friends again at last. Yours as ever. Joseph Smith, Jun."

madhatter85

Transhumanist
To be honest, I don't know how I feel that you are back, MH. When you were here before, I spend more time correcting you than I did the random anti-Mormon trolls. Maybe that was my bias; I hold LDS to a higher standard, because we are supposed to be the light of the world. I find it far less offensive when an ignorant troll fires off something (s)he overheard once, than when a fellow LDS repeats a Mormon myth.

That being said, I respect you for this apology. Inasmuch as you offended me, I forgive you. I am reminded of what Joseph Smith wrote to W. W. Phelps after Phelps returned from apostasy:

"It is true that we have suffered much in consequence of your behavior--the cup of gall already full enough for mortals to drink, was indeed filled to overflowing when you turned against us.

"One with whom we had oft taken sweet counsel together, and enjoyed many refreshing seasons from the Lord--'had it been an enemy we could have borne it.' However, the cup has been drunk, the will of our Father has been done, and we are yet alive, for which we thank the Lord. And having been delivered from the hands of wicked men by the mercy of our God, we say it is your privilege to be delivered from the powers of the adversary, be brought into the liberty of God's dear children, and again take your stand among the saints of the Most High, and by diligence, humility, and love unfeigned, commend yourself to our God, and your God, and to the Church of Jesus Christ.

"Believing your confession to be real, and your repentance genuine, I shall be happy once again to give you the right hand of fellowship, and rejoice over the returning prodigal.

"Come on, dear brother, since the war is past, for friends at first are friends again at last. Yours as ever. Joseph Smith, Jun."

well you know, life events change a person, coming back to the gospel, getting the priesthood, gettign married, having a baby soon, all change a person for the best.

Attitudes change, but ideals don't. While i do not apologize for my stance on this, i can still make a beter presentation than that of my previous posts before i left. and make things less argumentive. and i feel i have accomplished that since my return here to RF.