• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sir Elton John boycotts Dolce & Gabbana after row over same-sex families

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The singer's comments follow an interview with Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana in which the pair said: 'The only family is the traditional one'

Sir Elton John has called for a boycott of fashion label Dolce & Gabbana after the legendary designers criticised same-sex families.

In a scathing post on picture sharing site Instagram, the furious singer branded Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana "judgmental" and "archaic".

It followed an interview with the designers in Italy’s Panorama magazine in which the pair said: "We oppose gay adoptions. The only family is the traditional one.

"No chemical offsprings and rented uterus: life has a natural flow, there are things that should not be changed."

Dolce added that procreation "must be an act of love", saying: "You are born to a mother and a father – or at least that’s how it should be.

"I call children of chemistry, synthetic children. Rented uterus, semen chosen from a catalog."

Gabbana added: "The family is not a fad. In it there is a supernatural sense of belonging."

Despite the views expressed about "synthetic" children, Gabbana disclosed in 2006 that he had asked a female friend to be a surrogate mother for his child.

The designer told an Italian newspaper: "I want my own child, a biological child conceived through artificial insemination."

He said he had asked his friend, who was 12 years younger, to help and said she "thought it was a great idea".

The comments were made the year after he split up with Dolce, having embarked on a new relationship.

But he said he did not want his child to have two gay parents, adding: "I am opposed to the idea of a child growing up with two gay parents.

"A child needs a mother and a father. I could not imagine my childhood without my mother. I also believe that it is cruel to take a baby away from its mother."
Sir Elton John boycotts Dolce & Gabbana after row over same-sex families - Telegraph

Well, this is really disappointing to me. D&G were one of my favorite fashion houses. Such hypocrisy, too. Shame on D&G. Hopefully one day they'll get over their self-hatred. Not so surprising since they're Italian, though.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
He boycotts them but performs at Limbaugh's wedding?
Some things in this world just do not make any sense.
That does seem very strange but the more I think about it the more it does make sense. If you want to have an impact on Limbaugh being friendly and preforming at this wedding is probably the best way to go. Show him that gay people are not monsters or freaks. Hostility would only confirm his worst thoughts about homosexuals.

But a designer label in the fashion industry, that is where a boycott or bad publicity might have an impact. If Dolce and Gabbana actually becomes associated with homophobia in the minds of the public, it will kill them.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That does seem very strange but the more I think about it the more it does make sense. If you want to have an impact on Limbaugh being friendly and preforming at this wedding is probably the best way to go. Show him that gay people are not monsters or freaks. Hostility would only confirm his worst thoughts about homosexuals.

But a designer label in the fashion industry, that is where a boycott or bad publicity might have an impact. If Dolce and Gabbana actually becomes associated with homophobia in the minds of the public, it will kill them.
They're openly gay, by the way. They just have a tinge of self-hatred, probably due to backwards aspects of Italian culture.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
They're openly gay, by the way. They just have a tinge of self-hatred, probably due to backwards aspects of Italian culture.
And that's where part of their hypocrisy comes in as the one said that it was a reflection of the other's traditional Sicilian heritage. When my wife heard that, she laughed her fanny off as she was born and raised in Sicily, and gay marriage is hardly "traditional" there.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I know. And some have said that just makes this worse. I don't know if it makes it worse, but it doesn't make it better, it doesn't make it ok. There may be an element of self-hate here. Unfortunately self hating homosexuals are not uncommon. But they are attacking families, children here. It is not ok.

Of course I somewhat agree with D&G. You know me by now. Lol. I heard this story earlier today at work. D&G said they were only stating their opinions. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Every child definitely needs a mother and a father. Not two fathers. I'm indifferent about artificial insemination and surrogacy. To each, their own. I think it's wise that people calm down with trying to have babies until we reflect on how the choices we make will impact the childrens' lives. A child with gay parents is unfortunately cursed. People need to stop with all the selfishness. Children are not little accessories. They have souls that will have to answer to God someday. If someone wants to destroy their own self, fine, but no one should destroy others as well, especially children.

Kirran

Premium Member
Of course I somewhat agree with D&G. You know me by now. Lol. I heard this story earlier today at work. D&G said they were only stating their opinions. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Every child definitely needs a mother and a father. Not two fathers. I'm indifferent about artificial insemination and surrogacy. To each, their own. I think it's wise that people calm down with trying to have babies until we reflect on how the choices we make will impact the childrens' lives. A child with gay parents is unfortunately cursed. People need to stop with all the selfishness. Children are not little accessories. They have souls that will have to answer to God someday. If someone wants to destroy their own self, fine, but no one should destroy others as well, especially children.

I know, let's see, three people brought up by same-sex couples. No problems whatsoever.

gsa

Cursed? Without those parents, they may very well not exist.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Every child definitely needs a mother and a father.
Children deserve loving parents. It doesn't matter the sex or gender of the parents. Plenty of people have a mother and father, at least to a certain point, and it didn't work out for them. Myself, had I two moms or two dads, as long as they actually showed love, concern, and support it would have been a lot better than having what I did have, which was a dad who left one night and an emotionally abusive mom.
Children are not little accessories.
No, they aren't. Your own personal religious ideology should not prevent children from finding a home where they will be loved and cared for. Technically having at least a few primary care takers is best, as quiet obviously one infant child alone will overwork and overstress two parents, and there are other benefits when it's more than just one or two parents taking care of a child. But no matter how many are involved in the child rearing process, love and support is what is really needed, and homosexuals are just as capable of providing that as heterosexuals.
no one should destroy others as well, especially children.
No, they shouldn't. And putting up needless barriers because you believe they have a soul, and preventing capable and eligible in every other way couple from adopting is only helping to continue the psychological destruction many children experience in the system. It is your beliefs, and unless you can prove it, without using sources that are biased towards your holy book, then the well being of the children must take precedence over your religious beliefs.