• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simple living tips.

Trey of Diamonds

Here's a tip. Take a look around in used book stores and at library sales for how to books published in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It's pretty easy to find books from this time period that have great advice on animal husbandry, carpentry, gardening, cooking and a host of other topics that apply to living simply. Sometimes it's best to call ahead to see if they have out of print books from this time period as not all do.

Alceste

Vagabond
Good idea for a thread!

My big tip is to think about energy consumption. In the UK, a lot of the people I know have only a bar-sized fridge, for example. Unplug electronic devices that are not in use, turn them off rather than leaving them on standby. In the summer, you can keep your house cool by leaving the windows open overnight and shut, with the curtains drawn, during the day. In the winter, a pair of slippers and a nice warm cardigan is just as effective as bumping up the thermostat if you feel chilly. In Montreal, I didn't turn the heat on at all one winter, and I was still comfortable (probably the downstairs neighbours had theirs cranked though - they came from South America). And of course replace all your light bulbs with energy-efficient ones. Whenever you're going out, consider the option of walking, cycling or taking public transit.

By the household measures above when I was in the UK, we managed to cut our energy costs enormously, which allowed us to pay a bit more for a 100 % green, renewable energy supplier. (Not a greenwashed conventional energy supplier. I did a lot of research. :))

My other big tip is, as a person with difficult skin (eczema, dry patches, oily patches, allergies, the occasional mystery head-to-toe rash...), the best moisturizer I have ever used is plain coconut oil. Also, salt crystal works great as a deodorant. I also tried lavender oil and colloidal silver, both of which have antibacterial properties. They work too, but the salt crystal is the most effective.

I use handmade soap pretty much exclusively, but have yet to find a good alternative to commercial shampoo and conditioner. I tried Castille soap and it's probably fine for short haired people, but you certainly don't get that lustrous shampoo-commercial shine on long hair like mine. Any suggestions?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the winter I only heat the rooms I'm actually using. I have floor registers which I close, and place a large book over for good measure, then close the door to the room. When I'm out of the house or in my bedroom I turn the thermostat down as low as it'll go. If I need extra heat in the bedroom I have a little electric heater.

I have my water heater (electric) set for warm water, ie: turn on the hot tap and you get warm, not hot water. During the Summer I turn the heater off completely. Cold water works fine for almost everything.

When I shower, I get wet. turn the water off, soap up, then turn the water on again to rinse. I haven't done a survey, but it's my impression some people leave the water running throughout the shower. How they get clean when the soap's rinsed off as fast as it's applied I've no idea.

Alceste

Vagabond
When I shower, I get wet. turn the water off, soap up, then turn the water on again to rinse. I haven't done a survey, but it's my impression some people leave the water running throughout the shower. How they get clean when the soap's rinsed off as fast as it's applied I've no idea.

Guilty as charged. :flirt: It's never occurred to me to do it any other way. Suppose I could try that. Seems so obvious!

linwood

Forgive me for bumping an older thread, but I would be so happy to see this discussion rejuvenated. I wasn't sure how much the thread started wanted to focus on simple = easy or plain, and how much on being green, so I thought I'd try to cover both.

My first challenge is living with a 25 yo and a 22 yo (my son and his girl). They have a lot of "stuff". The second challenge is living in a city that makes recycling incredibly difficult for apartment tenants. So much so that I have given up. But I also try to buy products with little packaging whenever possible.

For myself... I purchase very little, and repurpose as much as possible. Most baked goods during the winter are homemade, and I maintain a potted garden with herbs... indoors in winter and outdoors on our deck during the summer. This summer, we also tried mini tomatoes. If it works, next year we will try a few more veggies.

I drive a five speed Civic hybrid that I love beyond reason. It gets anywhere from 37 - 50+ mpg (depending on traffic, and road conditions), and is the most fun I have had driving in many years. I've had it for almost five years now. Even so, and despite how much I love to drive, I try to keep the mileage to a minimum, and pre-plan all outings.

We try to rely on open windows and box fans as much as possibly before turning on the a/c. Other than that, our electric usage is higher than I would like, due to numerous computers, game systems, tvs, etc. And no option for hanging laundry to dry, which I dearly miss.

Food tends to be made from scratch whenever possible. if there are ingredients I can't pronounce on a label, I pretty much assume that it isn't good for us. We have dietary challenges so it can be "interesting"... Those what can eat certain things and those what can't.... Plus a young'un with a penchant for junk food full of lots of unpronounceable things (the girlfriend). Luckily, almost nothing she brings home appeals to me in the least, but I would be so much happier for her sake if she lost interest in that sort of stuff.

As for cleaning products, I use the least complex option whenever possible... and very much subscribe to the train of thought that most things can be cleaned with a combination of vinegar, lemon, baking soda, and castile soap. Even my oven, even though it is quite a bit more work. And when I have to buy a cleaning product, i try to stick to brands I trust, such as Seventh Generation, Ecover, or Mrs Meyers, despite the higher cost.

As for personal care products, I lean fairly heavily on the EWG website for guidance. Tried to post the website, but I don't have enough posts yet - fair enough. Google Environmental Working group, or EWG to access their personal care product ratings page. Alceste, I tried the crystal deodorant - it lasts forever, but frustrated me.

Hopefully, some other RF'ers will jump back in with some other ideas and suggestions? And I sincerely hope this wasn't too wordy or too much like a know-it-all, especially since I most certainly am not!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
One thing that may help with the electricity is to reduce "vampire usage"... appliances like TV's and Computers (anything with an power adaptor) will draw power even when they are off. I would suggest unplugging these devices when they are not in use the easiest way to do this is to plug them into a power strip with a master power switch on it. By shutting the power strip off you cut all power to the vampires and they will stop wasting energy.

wa:do

One thing that may help with the electricity is to reduce "vampire usage"... appliances like TV's and Computers (anything with an power adaptor) will draw power even when they are off. I would suggest unplugging these devices when they are not in use the easiest way to do this is to plug them into a power strip with a master power switch on it. By shutting the power strip off you cut all power to the vampires and they will stop wasting energy.

I am so sorry I did not get back to this post.... Unless I am wrong that you were at least partially answering me. But either way, it is a great post.

This is fabulous advice, even for inherently lazy people like myself. I have a hard enough time convincing the young 'uns to even close their laptops, unfortunately. But we do have several power strips with master power switches, and I really should start enforcing this. Thank you so much!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I am so sorry I did not get back to this post.... Unless I am wrong that you were at least partially answering me. But either way, it is a great post.

This is fabulous advice, even for inherently lazy people like myself. I have a hard enough time convincing the young 'uns to even close their laptops, unfortunately. But we do have several power strips with master power switches, and I really should start enforcing this. Thank you so much!
You're very welcome! :D

Sorry I can't be more help with the kids... our son is just turning one and we have been busy trying to shed as much excess 'stuff' as possible. We are aiming for a modified version of the 100 items challenge (we have a lot of shared "things" as a family).
stuckinstuff: 100 Thing Challenge

Here is another take on the challenge: Eclectic Geekology: Thoughts on the 100 Items Challenge

I really have to figure out how to make frubals happen, because this post is awesome. For now, I'll just have to owe you some, with an apology for being slow at learning my way around this amazingly complex place.

I love the concept of a 100 item challenge. We are truly too "stuck in stuff". There is a lot of rigidity in picking an arbitrary number, of course. And the blogger in the second link voiced several of my concerns. What counts as "one"? Why do things you don't want to part with, like books, not count? But the concept itself is wonderful. Americans are so stuck in stuff that many have storage units for long periods of time - because they can't fit all of their 'stuff" in their homes. What's up with that? It's insane, imho.

I was there for a long time, albeit to a much lesser degree. But I had the silly collections that added nothing to my life, more clothing than I could wear, etc., Along with an almost OCD like need to get all of a thing, such as a pretty blouse in three colors. Slowly, I came to realize that all that stuff was just wearing me down, coming between me and who I really was. I had to move from a fair sized home to a townhouse apartment five years ago, and a lot of that stuff went away - garage sales, donation, and gifts, as well as the trash. After the move, I continued the process, although much more slowly. Then last fall, I was supposed to move again, into the house my then-fiance lives in. It was slightly smaller in square feet and already housed someone with a fair amount of stuff... So, another massive weeding through. The relationship ended; the move did not happen. Part of the picking up the pieces and healing process has been, as you may have guessed, to further weed through belongings. It has actually all been amazingly liberating for me, and I have felt gratitude that I could help someone else's circumstances and life by ensuring that they had clothing, furniture, bedding, and even "pretties".

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

CEILING FANS!!!!!!

Love

Dallas

Nichole_R

Yes, a sustainable garden is a great idea both for the person and the environment.
I'd like a chicken coop too, but right now that just isn't feasible. Sticking with the garden for a while - herbs and spices.