• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

similarities among religions

A Vestigial Mote

Like I said, when you can present hard evidence that one of your theories is actual fact then we'll discuss it. I have no interest in guessing games. You're right about that.
And you have such "hard evidence" for the various beliefs in your brand of theism? If not, then what makes it any less of a "guessing game?"

A Vestigial Mote

Hmmm. Trolling or you don't understand?
Well, he at least got the "pompous" part right.. but "pithy?" Not sure the statement being quoted from you qualifies.

Here's the accepted definition for "pithy":

"brief, forceful, and meaningful in expression; full of vigor, substance, or meaning; terse; forcible"

And your statement was:

DavidFirth said:
Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. There is no compromise, God does not compromise His holiness.

I'll give you "brief", and the more negative connotation of "terse", but not "meaningful", "forceful", "full of vigor" or "forcible." The quotes really just aren't any of those things.

DavidFirth

Well, he at least got the "pompous" part right.. but "pithy?" Not sure the statement being quoted from you qualifies.

Here's the accepted definition for "pithy":

"brief, forceful, and meaningful in expression; full of vigor, substance, or meaning; terse; forcible"

And your statement was:

I'll give you "brief", and the more negative connotation of "terse", but not "meaningful", "forceful", "full of vigor" or "forcible." The quotes really just aren't any of those things.

What in the Sam Hill are you talking about? Never mind. Meh.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Like I said, when you can present hard evidence that one of your theories is actual fact then we'll discuss it. I have no interest in guessing games. You're right about that.

Yes, I'm right about knowing when people aren't actually interested in learning anything. Many people are too attached to their fantasies to learn about the real world. I accept this.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Christianity has no similarities. You either accept Jesus Christ as the Son of God or you do not. If you do you go to heaven. If you do not you do not go to heaven. Pretty simple, really.
Right. None of these religious teachings has anything in common with Christianity: :rolleyes:

Baha’i World Faith:
“Blessed is he who preferreth his brother before himself. And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbor that which thou choosest for thyself.”

Buddhism:
“…a state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I inflict that upon another? Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.”

Confucianism:
“Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.”

Hinduism:
"One should not behave towards others in a way which is disagreeable to oneself. This is the sum of duty: do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you."

Islam:
"No one of you is a believer until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself."

Jainism:
“In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self."

Judaism:
"What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. This is the law: all the rest is commentary."

Sikhism:
“Compassion, mercy and religion are the support of the entire world. Don't create enmity with anyone as God is within everyone.”

Taoism:
“Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss.”

Zoroastrianism:
"Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others.”

DavidFirth

Right. None of these religious teachings has anything in common with Christianity: :rolleyes:

Baha’i World Faith:
“Blessed is he who preferreth his brother before himself. And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbor that which thou choosest for thyself.”

Buddhism:
“…a state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I inflict that upon another? Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.”

Confucianism:
“Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.”

Hinduism:
"One should not behave towards others in a way which is disagreeable to oneself. This is the sum of duty: do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you."

Islam:
"No one of you is a believer until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself."

Jainism:
“In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self."

Judaism:
"What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. This is the law: all the rest is commentary."

Sikhism:
“Compassion, mercy and religion are the support of the entire world. Don't create enmity with anyone as God is within everyone.”

Taoism:
“Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss.”

Zoroastrianism:
"Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others.”

None of that has anything to do with my post whatever. Jesus is not mentioned even once in those quotes of yours.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
None of that has anything to do with my post whatever. Jesus is not mentioned even once in those quotes of yours.
But His teachings are. Look, I'm a Christian. I love my Savior. I fully recognize that I could never attain salvation were it not for Him. But the fact remains that we as Christians can look for common ground between our beliefs and the beliefs of others. We're not loving our neighbor if we're only focused on condemning him. You might want to consider taking care of that beam in your eye before you go too much further in trying to get the mote out of the other guy's eye. You're not going to be very successful at the rate you're going.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
But His teachings are. Look, I'm a Christian. I love my Savior. I fully recognize that I could never attain salvation were it not for Him. But the fact remains that we as Christians can look for common ground between our beliefs and the beliefs of others. We're not loving our neighbor if we're only focused on condemning him.

Jesus, like his mentor John the Baptist, taught salvation through repentance. It was Paul who came up with the idea of Jesus' salvific death, and the pagan cannibalistic ritual of the Lord's Supper--Paul, the beast of Revelation.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Jesus, like his mentor John the Baptist, taught salvation through repentance. It was Paul who came up with the idea of Jesus' salvific death, and the pagan cannibalistic ritual of the Lord's Supper--Paul, the beast of Revelation.
If you are in any way suggesting that I believe repentance is unnecessary, you are very much mistaken. Jesus did, however, say, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." Christians believe what He said. And He did instruct His Apostles to gather together regularly to commemorate His life and sacrifice.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
there are many similarities among religions and denominations. people focus on the differences and start religious wars and terrorism and they shun the similarities. so I want to mention some similarities. christianity and islam both have fasting. catholics and orthodox venerate common saints. christianity and hinduism have a trinity concept. all religions as far as I know have a soul/spirit concept. and the list continues.

Actually, although I already replied, no. There are no similarities in each individual religion.

If each individual religion represented the letters U N I T Y.

They are not the same because they spell the word unity
They are not the same because they are letters

What defines this word is not the full word
What defines this word is not the nature of the word (that they are letters)

What defines this word is the individual shapes that make each letter what it is in itself. A U is not an N and a N is not an I and so forth.

So they are distinct. There is no similarity between these letters. The nature or foundation of the letter (the shape) makes them different. The word Unity and they are all letters does not make each letter the same.

That is why there are no similarities between religions.

The traditions are the shape of the letter which also is the core
The results of how the letter is used is similar to others when put together
They are all referred to as religions.

But because the core of these religions/their traditions and beliefs are not the same, they do not share similarities.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Why should he be? He's irrelevent and immaterial to them.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
If you are in any way suggesting that I believe repentance is unnecessary, you are very much mistaken. Jesus did, however, say, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." Christians believe what He said. And He did instruct His Apostles to gather together regularly to commemorate His life and sacrifice.
Most Christians would say that, but it isn't what Paul founded his version of the Jerusalem Church on--meaning he corrupted what Jesus and his followers believed:

"But didn’t he earn his right to heaven by all the good things he did? No, for being saved is a gift; if a person could earn it by being good, then it wouldn’t be free—but it is! It is given to those who do not work for it. For God declares sinners to be good in his sight if they have faith in Christ to save them from God’s wrath." --- Romans 4:4 (Living)

LukeS

Religion is a type of glue to the universe. There will be similarities, due to structural limits. I think the soul, if we have a dehumanisation circuit in the brain ("he's an animal, a reptile...") then there has to be an alternative circuit to engage normally.