• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

GURSIKH

chardi kla
the dilemma that i have is that,
do you believe in god and gurbani because it is written in granth sahib and we have been told since birth to follow it and thats what we do ,

or you read and understand it so that you can implement it in your everyday life ,so far i havent , (quite simply the rebirth dosent make sense in todays world , and we are believing in it without asking how is that possible

hello Jaspreet /Jaspinder/Jaspal.. :)

i believe in God/Gurbani because it is requirement of my soul .For me Gurbani is same as monsoon shower for desert (soul) .

Gurbani teaches me to search within for joy, happiness and love myself rather than searching happiness in big mansions , cars ,...

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Maajh, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਘਰ ਮਹਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਨਾਹੀ ॥
Everything is within the home of the self; there is nothing beyond.

ਬਾਹਰਿ ਟੋਲੈ ਸੋ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਹੀ ॥
One who searches outside is deluded by doubt.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਜਿਨੀ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਸੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੁਹੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥
By Guru's Grace, one who has found the Lord within is happy, inwardly and outwardly. ||1||

Gurbani teaches me to love everyone , respect everyone as all Souls (Aatma ) originated from One Paramaatma (Supereme Soul) and all will merge to SAME .

ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Fifth Mehl:

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਖਾਲਕੁ ਖਲਕ ਮਹਿ ਖਲਕ ਵਸੈ ਰਬ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
Fareed, the Creator is in the Creation, and the Creation abides in God.

ਮੰਦਾ ਕਿਸ ਨੋ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਾਂ ਤਿਸੁ ਬਿਨੁ ਕੋਈ ਨਾਹਿ ॥੭੫॥
Whom can we call bad? There is none without Him. ||75||

Gurbani teaches to counter egoistical pride ,lust ,anger ,greed, attachment .

ਦੂਤ ਮੁਹਹਿ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥
The five enemies are plundering the world.

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਅੰਧੇ ਸੁਧਿ ਨ ਸਾਰਾ ॥
The blind, self-willed manmukhs do not understand or appreciate this.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੁ ਅਪਣਾ ਘਰੁ ਰਾਖੈ ਪੰਚ ਦੂਤ ਸਬਦਿ ਪਚਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੨॥
Those who become Gurmukh-their houses are protected. The five enemies are destroyed by the Shabad. ||2||

ਇਕਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਦਾ ਸਚੈ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਾਤੇ ॥
The Gurmukhs are forever imbued with love for the True One.

Gurbani teaches me to stand against Injustice ,aggression and feeling of Service ( Sewa ) is beyond words .

Regarding Rebirth Gurbani says ,

You become what you desire and if you are Satisfied then there is no Rebirth .

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
the dilemma that i have is that,
do you believe in god and gurbani because it is written in granth sahib and we have been told since birth to follow it and thats what we do ,
I wasn't born a Sikh, so that is not the case.

or you read and understand it so that you can implement it in your everyday life ,so far i havent , (quite simply the rebirth dosent make sense in todays world , and we are believing in it without asking how is that possible
I think rebirth makes a lot of sense, actually - but to each their own. :)

I believe in God because it makes sense to me, and because of personal experiences. I believe in Gurbāṇi because it speaks to my soul.

i guess i want to understand "GOD" better but may be with some practical answers , if thats possible
Don't we all? :)

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sikhism more pantheistic than monotheistic? Seeing as how the "God" figure in Sikhism is an intangible, unknowable, undefined force, it would seem Sikhism aligns more with Pantheism or even Gnosticism than monotheism.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sikhism more pantheistic than monotheistic? Seeing as how the "God" figure in Sikhism is an intangible, unknowable, undefined force, it would seem Sikhism aligns more with Pantheism or even Gnosticism than monotheism.
Sikhism is monotheistic in that it believes in ONE God, but panentheistic in that all is within God (but God is more than the universe). Gnosticism, I wouldn't say so, though. Gnosticism is dualistic, whereas Sikhism is explicitly nondualistic.

Bob Dixon

>implying
The Guru Granth Sahib seems to stress non-dualism quite a lot, describing the people stuck in reincarnation as "lovers of dualism". Is this "non-dualism" the same spoken of in the Vedanta?

GURSIKH

chardi kla

Sikhi is monotheistic but its different from Abrahmic monotheism . Non -Dualism ,Panentheism are more suitable terms to describe it , than Abrahmic monotheism .

Crazy Bear

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how do Sikhs feel about syncretism? You, Odion, are a Dharmic Syncretist by religion.

The gurdwara (sp?) in my city says it is open to non-Sikhs as well. How would they feel if, say, a Christian attended and wanted to blend beliefs? Or a pagan? Or any religion.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Sorry if this has already been asked, but how do Sikhs feel about syncretism? You, Odion, are a Dharmic Syncretist by religion.
There's some puritans, but some aren't so bothered. A friend of mine considers himself a Christian-Sikh.

Me, I'm just indecisive and I cling to (metaphorical) shiny things, so I'm a natural syncretist. ;)

The gurdwara (sp?) in my city says it is open to non-Sikhs as well. How would they feel if, say, a Christian attended and wanted to blend beliefs? Or a pagan? Or any religion.
Gurdwārās are open to all, no exceptions. Black, White, Indian, Chinese, Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Pagan, Buddhist, rich, poor, king, or farmer -- all are welcome.

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
I never really considered the syncretic aspect of Sikhism. I'm an atheist, I'll get that out of the way. I simplyy do not believe in God. But I'm a but of a pantheist in the idea that the "god" people see and believe in is just nature and the universe at work. Are there any Sikhs who hold beliefs like this that are a bit of an amalgam of atheistic or pantheistic views coupled with Sikh traditions and spiritual beliefs?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I never really considered the syncretic aspect of Sikhism.
Sikhism itself isn't an eclectic or syncretic religion: it is its own religion. Although some saints were Muslim and others Hindu, Sikhs have their own scripture and beliefs, which, although similar to these religion, do not really owe origins to them.

I'm an atheist, I'll get that out of the way. I simplyy do not believe in God. But I'm a but of a pantheist in the idea that the "god" people see and believe in is just nature and the universe at work. Are there any Sikhs who hold beliefs like this that are a bit of an amalgam of atheistic or pantheistic views coupled with Sikh traditions and spiritual beliefs?
None that I have encountered personally. I've never met a Sikh who wasn't a panentheist. Whilst there may be some, I've never personally encountered them.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Sorry if this was asked before, how does the laity live - what rules do they follow, what is Sikhism for them? Is there some info you could point me to? Thanks! Doing a great job on this thread.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Sorry if this was asked before, how does the laity live - what rules do they follow, what is Sikhism for them? Is there some info you could point me to? Thanks! Doing a great job on this thread.
Thanks. :D

Sikhism is a caste-less Dharmic religion, with a high emphasis on equality - everyone, male, female, African, Indian, Chinese, European, all are equal. If any Sikh ever says men and women aren't equal, or that people are not equal based on race or caste, they would be mistaken on their own religious teachings. There are no priests, everyone is laity.

Sikhs who are initiated into the Khālsā (which is not compulsory btw) are required to keep the five Ks: Kesh, kirpān, kachhera (also known as kachha), kanga, and kara: or, in that order in English unshorn hair, a short sword, loose fitting underpants for modesty, a wooden comb, and an iron bracelet. They all have significance:

Kesh: We are perfect as we are, so we don't need to change ourselves and should accept our perfection
Kirpān: To fight injustice and protect the innocent
Kachhera: For modesty and to control lust
Kanga: Cleanliness and order is important
Kara: To remember God: who has no end, no beginning, just like the circular bracelet.

Contrary to popular opinion, these are not necessary for one to be a Sikh. They are, however, required for one to be a Khālsā Sikh - but one does not take the baptism ceremony if they do not feel ready to do so. One who removes their hair is a Sehajdhari - a slow adopter of Sikhism. There are many, many Sehajdhari Sikhs.

Sikhism's philosophy and practices are:

Simran: Always remember God
Seva: Do good things for the sake of being good. Feeding the hungry, donating to charity, etc is seva. Many Sikhs consider my wife's advice to Sikhs about how to care for the "joora" [the knot long-haired Sikhs keep to put in their turban] to stop from damaging their hair or losing any, as seva, for example.

Follow the Three Pillars of Sikhism
Naam Japo: Repetition of the Naam (Name, or "Properties", if you prefer, of the Lord)
Kirat Karo: Honest living. Earn your keep from the sweat of your brow, not from begging.
Vand Chakko: Share your fruits with others.

Destroy the Five Thieves:
Kaam: Lust
Krodh: Anger
Lobh: Greediness
Moh: Attachment [to worldly things]. This is similar to Buddhism, in a way: accept things aren't static, and life is constantly changing. Sadness, etc, are natural, but lamenting over things that have happened long ago, or crying over spilt milk, is considered to be spiritually destructive
Ahankar: Egotism, pride

Replace the Five Thieves with the Five Virtues:
Sat: Truthfulness
Santokh: Contentment
Daya: Compassion
Nirmata: Humility
Pyare: Love

Additionally, one must:

• Believe in the One God who is the source of all.
  • See everyone as equal, regardless of race, caste, sex, creed, and sexuality.
  • Defend the innocent; a Sikh cannot just walk past as someone is mugged, for example. Whilst Sikhism does prohibit violence, it does hold the view that sometimes it is necessary to fight back for the sake of peace. The general idea from my perspective is that you don't go around starting fights with people, but if someone attacks you, your family, or even an innocent person, it is your duty to kick the living crap out of him.

Sikhs are prohibited from

• Intoxication: no booze, drugs, or smokes are allowed.
  • Adultery: don't sleep around with other people
  • Superstition: no icon-worship, veil worship, grave worship, veiling women, circumcision, fasting for spiritual purposes, or bathing in sacred rivers.
  • Materialism: You can't take it with you, so don't cling onto it
  • Animal sacrifice and sati (widow suicide)
  • Non-family living (as a beggar, hermit, etc)
  • Bragging, gossiping, etc
  • Following castes. Sikhism does not have priests. The closest thing is a "Granthi", one who cares for the Guru Granth Sahib, of which any Sikh may do regardless of race, sex or caste.
  • Eating ritualistically killed meat [that means, no halal or kosher], called kutha meat. Many take it to mean "no meat", though. All food in a langar, a Sikh food hall, is vegetarian. This one is so strong in many places, that even Sikhs who only keep one K (the iron bracelet), will still not eat kutha meat.

When one takes Amrit (baptism) and becomes initiated into the Khalsa (Army of the Guru), or decides to vow not to cut their hair, then that person is thusly prohibited from cutting their hair. Many Sikhs out there are what are called Sehajdhari Sikhs---literally, "Slow adopters". They are Sikhs who cut their hair. Some Sikhs do not believe those who cut their hair to be Sikhs, but I've seen many shaved Sikhs and I've never seen them treated badly. If one is not ready for kesh (unshorn hair), then what good would forcing them to keep it do. I feel that when others say "Tum sikhi nahi" (You are not a Sikh) because of kesh, they are influenced too much by maya, and so ignore them. After all, it says in the Guru Granth Sahib:

ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ ॥
ਭਾਵੈ ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ ॥

Kabīr parīt ik sio kīe ān dubidhā jāe
bhāvai lā'nbe kesh kar bhāvai gharar mudāe

Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.
You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald.
- Sri Guru Granth Sahib, page 1365.

A Sikh is encouraged to wake up early morning, bathe/shower, and then to chant and meditate on God's name. Naturally, a Sikh should, of course, follow the ten human gurus and see the Guru Granth Sahib as their guru.

Hope this helps. :)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I never really considered the syncretic aspect of Sikhism. I'm an atheist, I'll get that out of the way. I simplyy do not believe in God. But I'm a but of a pantheist in the idea that the "god" people see and believe in is just nature and the universe at work. Are there any Sikhs who hold beliefs like this that are a bit of an amalgam of atheistic or pantheistic views coupled with Sikh traditions and spiritual beliefs?

Hi Wanderlust :)

Pantheism is fully Compatible With Sikhi but not Atheism .

ਜਹ ਜਹ ਦੇਖਾ ਤਹ ਤਹ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥
Wherever I look, there I see my Lord and Master.

ਤੂ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਰਵਿਆ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ॥
You are permeating each and every heart, O Lord, Inner-knower, Searcher of Hearts.

ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਲਿ ਦਿਖਾਲਿਆ ਹਉ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਵਿਟਹੁ ਸਦ ਵਾਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
The Perfect Guru has shown me that the Lord is always with me. I am forever a sacrifice to the True Guru. ||2||

ਏਕੋ ਪਵਣੁ ਮਾਟੀ ਸਭ ਏਕਾ ਸਭ ਏਕਾ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਬਾਈਆ ॥
There is only one breath; all are made of the same clay; the light within all is the same.

ਸਭ ਇਕਾ ਜੋਤਿ ਵਰਤੈ ਭਿਨਿ ਭਿਨਿ ਨ ਰਲਈ ਕਿਸੈ ਦੀ ਰਲਾਈਆ ॥
The One Light pervades all the many and various beings. This Light intermingles with them, but it is not diluted or obscured.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਇਕੁ ਨਦਰੀ ਆਇਆ ਹਉ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਵਿਟਹੁ ਵਤਾਇਆ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
By Guru's Grace, I have come to see the One. I am a sacrifice to the True Guru. ||3||

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਬੋਲੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਣੀ ॥
Servant Nanak speaks the Ambrosial Bani of the Word.

ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾਂ ਕੈ ਮਨਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਭਾਣੀ ॥
It is dear and pleasing to the minds of the GurSikhs.

ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਕਰੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪਰਉਪਕਾਰੀਆ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੭॥
The Guru, the Perfect True Guru, shares the Teachings. The Guru, the True Guru, is Generous to all. ||4||7||

Last edited:

GURSIKH

chardi kla

Hi :)

As Od ji mentioned

Simran (Remembrance )and Seva (Selfless Service) are two important aspect of Sikhi .

Nitnem banis include :Japji Sahib ,Anand Sahib ,Kirtan Sohila , Chaupai Sahib .

One can recite Mool ( Root /Base ) Mantra for Simran ,Mool Mantra is very first line of Guru Granth Sahib .

EK ONKAAR - One God who is transcendent as well as immanent .
SATNAM -True and Eternal is HIS Name
KARTA PURAKH- Creative Being
NIRBHAU - Without fear
NIRVAIR - Without enmity/Hate
AAKAL MURAT -Beyond Time
AJOONI-Unborn
SAIBHAN-Self-existent
GURPARSHAAD-By Grace of Guru

Jap.
Chant And Meditate:

Āḏ sacẖ jugāḏ sacẖ.
True In The Primal Beginning. True Throughout The Ages.

Hai bẖī sacẖ Nānak hosī bẖī sacẖ. ||1||
True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever True. ||1||

http://youtu.be/f3zUYK4YU8M

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I have a question. This is something I've been wondering about for quite some time. What is the importance and symbolism of the Five K's?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I have a question. This is something I've been wondering about for quite some time. What is the importance and symbolism of the Five K's?

Kesh - unshorn hair: We are perfect as we are, so we don't need to change ourselves and should accept our perfection
Kirpān - the short sword : To fight injustice and protect the innocent
Kachhera (also kachha) - modest, long boxers: For modesty and to control lust
Kanga - a wooden comb: Cleanliness and order is important
Kara - a circular bracelet: To remember God: who has no end, no beginning, just like the circular bracelet.

Of course, to reiterate again, the five k's are not necessary for being a Sehajdhari Sikh. They are, however, compulsory for a Sikh baptised into the Khālsā, or Lord's Army of the Pure.

Oh, I have another one. :) Is Sikhism nondualistic? Or, are there nondual interpretations in Sikhism?
Sikhism is nondual:

ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ
Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.
ਭਾਵੈ ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ ॥੨੫॥
You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||25||

Gurū Granth Sāhib, page 1365.