• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should We Follow the Majority?

Pipiripi

End Times Prophecy.
Whenever we challenge the mainstream teaching on some doctrine, we always tend to get a number of people staying ... "Well, this has been the belief of the majority for centuries, so it must be right. I'm not going to go along with just a few who believe differently. It's the majority that have the truth".

So I thought I would take a look in the Bible and see if this statement is correct or not, and what did I find? The Bible shows us the complete opposite! Take a look:

MAJORITY OR FEW? In the days of Noah, who had the truth? The majority or the few?

When Elijah was on the mount with 450 'prophets' of Baal, who had the truth?

When the king of Babylon issued a decree for all to bow to the golden image, and Daniel's three friends refused. Who was in the right?

When the command was given during the reign of king Darius to not pray to God for thirty days, were the majority who went along with that decree in the right, or the few?

During the days of Jeremiah the prophet of God. Did the majority have the truth or the few!

During the time of Jesus Christ, who had the truth? The majority or the few?

During the dark ages, when the Roman Catholic Church reigned the world. Who had the truth? The majority within the 'visible church', or the few scattered around the world, reading and following the scriptures?

Before you answered read Matthew 7:13-14.
Bless.

Reactions: eik

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Whenever we challenge the mainstream teaching on some doctrine, we always tend to get a number of people staying ... "Well, this has been the belief of the majority for centuries, so it must be right. I'm not going to go along with just a few who believe differently. It's the majority that have the truth".

So I thought I would take a look in the Bible and see if this statement is correct or not, and what did I find? The Bible shows us the complete opposite! Take a look:

MAJORITY OR FEW? In the days of Noah, who had the truth? The majority or the few?

When the king of Babylon issued a decree for all to bow to the golden image, and Daniel's three friends refused. Who was in the right?

When the command was given during the reign of king Darius to not pray to God for thirty days, were the majority who went along with that decree in the right, or the few?

During the days of Jeremiah the prophet of God. Did the majority have the truth or the few!

During the dark ages, when the Roman Catholic Church reigned the world. Who had the truth? The majority within the 'visible church', or the few scattered around the world, reading and following the scriptures?

Bless.
If only the "Truth" was so easy to determine.

Of course, being in the "few" does not guarantee truth.
And as you are sure to point out sooner or later, those in the few that disagree with you are also "not in the truth", right?
I mean looksie at all the cults, sects, etc. that are even more "in the few" than yours...

Pipiripi

End Times Prophecy.
If only the "Truth" was so easy to determine.

Of course, being in the "few" does not guarantee truth.
And as you are sure to point out sooner or later, those in the few that disagree with you are also "not in the truth", right?
I mean looksie at all the cults, sects, etc. that are even more "in the few" than yours...
My friend I understand you. But look what they have done and still doing today. Killing Christians and tried to destroy the plain Bible truth. God Himself say that He have a remnant people to sent into the world. Read Revelation 12:1-17 and 14:6-12. I hope that you have understand what God said there.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
We should follow where the best evidence takes us, IMO.

Popularity is a peripheral thing that can either help or hinder that search for the truth. It's best to learn to navigate the currents, like a river boat. There are tried and true areas, such as our knowledge of gravity and other obvious aspects of reality that are easy going and quite popular for a reason. There are also snags and stumps we can smash into if we aren't careful, and we can get hung up on things that are popular simply because they resonate with folks more rather than actually being the truth. It takes a keen and far seeing eye to be able to look ahead and decipher the snags before you are already too close to steer out of the way, and find yourself in the morass of confirmation bias.

I really just want to go drift boat fishing for salmon right now more than anything else... :D

McBell

My friend I understand you. But look what they have done and still doing today. Killing Christians and tried to destroy the plain Bible truth. God Himself say that He have a remnant people to sent into the world. Read Revelation 12:1-17 and 14:6-12. I hope that you have understand what God said there.
As can even be said about your beliefs from those who take a different perspective of the Bible than you.

See, you first have to prove your beliefs are correct before you can use said beliefs as proof someone whose beliefs differ from your are wrong.

Now I realize you firmly believe your beliefs are correct ones.
And I understand that you firmly believe it to be true.
And that may well be good enough for you and your choir.
But you will have to do much more than merely presenting how your beliefs differ to show that differing beliefs are false.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Revelation reads like an old man's acid trip. I prefer the gospels.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Bless.
I am not a Christian, and do not know if my answer will count for how Christians see it.
I would say " the few" holds the truth.

Piculet

They say history repeats itself, but I don't think we can assume something must be happening now because it happened before sometimes.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They say history repeats itself, but I don't think we can assume something must be happening now because it happened before sometimes.

I think, given the history of religion and the rejection of all the Messages given by the Messengers, by the majority of people claiming a faith, it is more than logical that history has repeated itself and that the world is changing in light of that rejection.

Regards Tony

Piculet

Revelation reads like an old man's acid trip. I prefer the gospels.
You mean as opposed to actual revelation from God, you prefer whatever the writers of the New Testament scribbled down for their own reasons and whatever was left of those when your edition was printed?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Bless.
Thanks for your heartfelt words. Considering the narrow gate, a fat person cannot pass through, nor a camel. What is fat but pride? What is cut from the sacrifice is fat. What is burned is the fat. That which is destroyed in the judgment of fire is the fat, but the meat survives merely scorched. The lean (that which represents humility) is smaller than that which is fat. What is the test of the gate? Humility. What is the common problem of the masses of people? Pride. What causes quarrels between people? Pride. What comes before a fall? "Pride comes before a fall." What does the wide gate lead to? Destruction. Why? Pride.

I have spent my life going the other direction from the majority. Its not for everybody. It is lonely, and its not always the best thing to do. As for 'The Truth', that remains with God who does not change like shifting shadows, unlike us. 1 John says "If anyone claims he has no sin he is a liar..." That I think applies to doctrine, and your claim to 'The Truth' sounds strikingly like a claim to boasting perfection. Will God give his glory to you? I doubt it, but best of luck with that.

This is all a run-up to say something about the Roman Catholics. Love either covers a multitude of sins or it doesn't. I remember this "Let God be true and every man a liar that you may be proved right in your judgements." As for me, I haven't joined the Roman Catholics; but I don't think they are especially lest truthful than other groups in God's eyes. Who can stand before God and say "I am always right."

Anyone who loved their fellow human beings, the truth was shining upon them; but no one ever owns the truth but God. I reference James. Your post, to me, reads like someone criticizing a poorer man for his clothes. The Roman Catholics you refer to as poorly clothed in terms of doctrine, but you say that others have the truth such as yourself. Consider that James is talking about humility and is talking about education and not just physical clothing and golden rings, and you have taken the position of a person criticizing the poor man. James is addressing the mixed crowd of new gentile Christians and lifelong Jews, and the description of poor and rich is aptly describing the haves and the have not of doctrine not just physical wealth. Some of these people seemed backwards to their educated brothers. Lets not make a big deal out of variance from Roman Catholics. For a time they were judgmental. For time they were very harsh, hopefully centuries ago. The protestants unfortunately inherited a lot of that judgmental attitude, but it was a mistake to imitate that attitude.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
You mean as opposed to actual revelation from God, you prefer whatever the writers of the New Testament scribbled down for their own reasons and whatever was left of those when your edition was printed?

I'm curious to know what you hope to achieve by posting things like this... Like, what is the actual reason to do so?

Do you think you'll actually change his mind? Or, is it like having the urge to fart, where you just get it out of your system while others just furl their noses in disgust and reprimand you for it or just give you space?

McBell

The actual statement being misquoted is "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

So a little out of context when using the actual quote.

Pipiripi

End Times Prophecy.
As can even be said about your beliefs from those who take a different perspective of the Bible than you.

See, you first have to prove your beliefs are correct before you can use said beliefs as proof someone whose beliefs differ from your are wrong.

Now I realize you firmly believe your beliefs are correct ones.
And I understand that you firmly believe it to be true.
And that may well be good enough for you and your choir.
But you will have to do much more than merely presenting how your beliefs differ to show that differing beliefs are false.
If there is something that I have wrote isn't in the Bible, show me where I'm wrong. But if everything is in the Bible, then follow the Bible not me or my beliefs.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. the plain Bible truth.
Don't make me laugh with your clap-trap.
I think, given the history of religion and the rejection of all the Messages given by the Messengers, by the majority of people claiming a faith, it is more than logical that history has repeated itself and that the world is changing in light of that rejection.
Bahai cooking begins! :D
Who can stand before God and say "I am always right."
Nice post, but there should be a God before whom I can stand and say that "I am always right". Unfortunately, there is no God or Allah. All imagination. Only pressure selling.

Last edited:

Milton Platt

Bless.
You should follow neither. You should follow the facts.