• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should there be a predetermined structure in worship or not?

☆Dreamwind☆

Religion and its rites have a long history of structure and routines. From coming together to worship with each religion putting its own spin on how clergy go about leading followers in prayer, learning, song, meditation, mysteries, or praise. Performing special rites such as baptism, initiation, communion, funerals, and marriages. To observing special customs for holy days. My family is some form of Christian or other, with roughly half being Catholic. Even some people who practice in private may choose these things. I'd say it's already pretty deeply ingrained, even if it's been watered down in some sects. If you have a good relationship with a deity, doesn't matter if it's public or private. You do not necessarily need a religious building, or ritual to worship.

freelight

Soul Pioneer
Premium Member
I am Catholic and have grown up my whole life attending Mass. When I was young, I was very bored, and found the set prayers of the priest and the congregation to be monotonous. I also didn't know why we were doing what we were doing. Now, as I understand a lot more, I have grown to appreciate it. However, I understand from conversations with others, that for some, praying to God in nature is enough for them. My question is: should there be a set structure in worship at all (predetermined by someone else)?

Structure and ritual serve as an template perhaps in which spirit and meditation can be facilitated or directed, so therein is its usefullness when used appropriately to actually unite with Spirit. 'Church' as usual can get boring I suppose depending on what tradition you are raised, yet one may go on to use different rituals in their soul's journey to focus their worship.

I currently have no set rituals besides LIFE itself, hoping to allow love and wisdom to direct my path, as I abide in the omnipresence of Spirit, and lean towards a more gnostic and theosophic perspective of the divine. - our experience of 'God' is personal and subjective in its core essence. - all else can enhance or support our worship of Deity from microcosm to macrocosm to infinity.

Universally I offer J. Krishnamurti's perspective, that truth is a pathless land,...the grandeur of 'God' is ever present and unknowable (prior to thought, time, language, ritual and creeds).....its the grace that sustains every moment of existence, the most intimate reality knowable (to whatever degree we can know or re-cognize anything). - it is beyond space or time yet all-pervading, always already be-ing and be-coming whatever it wills to be. ("I AM"....& "I Will Be") - the name/identity of 'God' in all sentient life.

Holy spirit dove1.jpg

~*~*~

freelight

Soul Pioneer
Premium Member
Why. IT IS TRUE. The conflicts are based on this presumption

If we agree that one universal omnipresent ultimate reality exists which we can call 'God',.......that alone is absolute, while all else are relative abstractions and descriptions thereof....concerning the 'names' and 'forms' of 'God'. If we are true monotheists/monists....we will recognize the unity of all truth/existence....while differences exist from point of view and perspective.

Concerning the NAME of 'God'.....that reality and IDENTITY is universally the same for all, regardless of 'name'. - a universalist stays true to universals, never disturbed over particulars or differentials which arise in the ONE. Respecting God's name is key....which unifies all into source-essence....which is true worship of Deity, the "I AM" cognizant within all sentient beings. - just a few tid-bits to nibble on :)

~*~*~

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I’m going to suggest that this thread be moved to a debate subforum. @Bharat Jhunjhunwala has raised allegations and accusations that can be better addressed in a subforum that allows for a bit more heat.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I’m going to suggest that this thread be moved to a debate subforum. @Bharat Jhunjhunwala has raised allegations and accusations that can be better addressed in a subforum that allows for a bit more heat.
I agree. I was going to assert something further to what he said to me, but this is not the place for that.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
Mainly because people often develop religious wisdom on their own, even if at odds with the doctrines they have been taught.
Yes few do develop wisdom. But even the .Wise. among them always hang on to some diluted concept of exclusive relation with God. Eg. I do not know of a jew who would deny his divine right to the land of israel.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes few do develop wisdom. But even the .Wise. among them always hang on to some diluted concept of exclusive relation with God. Eg. I do not know of a jew who would deny his divine right to the land of israel.
I think that you are both wildly overestimating the significance of god-beliefs and wildly underestimating the ability of most people to develop religious wisdom by their own means.