• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the Boys Scouts and Girl Scouts be allowed to exist

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
No! She's revolting!
Society has expectations, & tis our job to live up to them all....even the conflicting ones.

*sigh*

Is it arm-wrestling time again between us? She's not revolting. I think she's downright Mystic-like and is a secret trampolinst-glompist.

Sorry, HexBomb, for talking about you like this. You're liked here. ;)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have been reading Some female philospher's and it has made me think a little more about some seemingly normal things.

For example when I am flustered I may go out and take a walk through town to collect my thoughts and usually am undisturbed. Is it the same for women.

Now to the thread.

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts which seprate boys and girls at 5 years age and puts them through training. In this day and age should they still exist.

Every meeting 5 times a month the Boy Scouts must say there Oath and Scout law and the Girl Scouts must say the Promise and Scout law.

Boy Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout law to help other people at all times to keep myself physically strong mentally awake and morally straight.

Girl Scout Promise
On my honor I will try to serve God and my country to help people at all times and to live by the Girl Scout Law.

Do you see the difference

Boy Scout Law
A Scout is trustworth, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

Girl Scout Law
I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, courageous and strong and responsible for what I say and do and to respect myself and others, respect authority use resources wisely make the world a better place and be a sister to every Girl Scout.

Still a difference.

I was a Cub Scout leader and some of my parents were in Girls Scouts as well Both Groups have to get similar patches.

Building patch Boys, Bird House and similar Girls Jewerly Box and similar
Sewing patch Boys, Leather wallet, Leather Satchel etc. Girls, Pillow, Doll Clothes etc.

In my opinion this is wrong. At 5 years old we are already gender discriminating. It should just be the Scouts. They should say and be able to do the same things. Why are we separating boys and girls at 5 years and teaching different principles and idea's. What are your thoughts?
Allowed to exist? Definitely.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Males and females are equal ... but they are not the same. Why should we pretend they are the same?
I think in limited circumstances there can be a time and place for gender segregation, but overall I feel that society is too obsessed with defining gender roles.

Pink toy aisles, blue toy aisles, girl scouts, boy scouts, cut the boy's hair short while he's young, let the girl's hair grow long while she's young, dress the boy this way, dress the girl that way, have boys exist as most of the powerful roles in fiction, market ovens and dolls to girls, market navy rescue helicopters and fast cars to boys, make a lot of male superheroes, put a bunch of overly sexualized female superheroes in supporting or minor roles and on covers in bikinis, etc.

I think culture greatly amplifies natural statistical gender differences by starting to segregate them while they're barely aware of anything, and then gender role policing and separating from then on.

IMO, this article explains it well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
*sigh*

Is it arm-wrestling time again between us? She's not revolting. I think she's downright Mystic-like and is a secret trampolinst-glompist.

Sorry, HexBomb, for talking about you like this. You're liked here. ;)
"Mystic-like"..."revolting"....what's the difference?
We're both equally adept at meeting society's expectations.

OK, OK, you're better than I am.
I was a Brownie. I got kicked out for teaching the other girls how to roll a joint. I learned it from a Webelo. I bet he got a merit badge. I got grounded.
There once was a gal who's a newbie.
She helped other gals make a doobie.
The Scouts kicked her out.
But now she can tout
it earned her a fabulous frubie!

I can't be blamed for this. When I gave her a frubie for the doobie, the spirit seized me!

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I was a Girl Scout, much to people's shock who know me. Yes men and women are different, but that doesn't mean gender stereotypes are okay. However, by the same token a lot of people who push for more "equal" organizations get snippy when people choose things they don't agree with. For example, I love fast cars, lifting heavy, a good Scotch, video games, guns and other things involving fire or things that go boom. All of that tends to be fine with women's groups: but I regularly get nasty comments because I also enjoy baking, crafts, sewing, throwing parties, proper etiquette and have a love for corsets.

I wouldn't have had fun in Boy Scouts, mostly because boys teased me for being a tomboy, or 'trying to be a boy'. Girl Scouts was comfortable for me. I could go camping and build things, but I could also do embroidery and be adorable and sell cookies.

I was a boy scout and have had my kids in scouting, I've never liked cars(I wish I made enough money to hire a chaufer), not big on heavy lifting or video games and think guns are stupid. I love baking and cooking can crochet and sew. I love the outdoors though, all of it which is why I like scouting.

What I would like is for all to have the choice to follow theire own love's and not be expected to follow a set path. It would just be scouts for kids to enjoy the outdoors with others of the same interest.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was a Brownie. I got kicked out for teaching the other girls how to roll a joint. I learned it from a Webelo. I bet he got a merit badge. I got grounded.
That just reminded me of one of the slang terms based on the rank "Webelo.":D

I can't recall what it's called, something with Campfire in it's name, or something like that. But anyways, it's a co-ed secular-based scouts. Personally I'm not too fond of the boy Scout's exclusionary policies or the pre-military mentality that is drilled into the head's of boys (and my how they, at least here, trumpeted and gloated about the glory of military service). I wish I knew more about the girl Scouts, but they seem to be much more inclusive and not even close to having the military-prep mentality.

IHaveTheGift

U know who U R
On the flip side of this, do we even care what the kids have to say about it or is this just another made up, discrimination issue?

To me, this is one step away from claiming..."why do we dress our infant boys in pants and cool shirts and girls with cute matching skirts and dresses?"

Nymphs

How about Campfire Girls & Boys? Combines Girl and Boy Scouts with out exclusion of genders. ;)