• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Spanking Your Children Be Illegal?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
And it is your belief that certain humans require physical punishment for them to be taught right and wrong? That's rather disappointing, but I think you'll find untrue. Recently studies have been taken on the topic, and most conclude spanking results in negative consequences. You can read one those here.

We [understood to be humans] are always amazed by mankind's desire for war and violence. Could it be that our use of violence at a young age, however well-intentioned, invites the argument "violence is okay if...." :sarcastic

I believe physical punishment can an effective ALTERNATIVE when positive and non-physical negative reinforcement has failed.

Are you equating a pop on the rear to the violence seen in war?

How do you propose reprimanding your children if and when you have them. Children will do things that they aren't supposed to. And parents should be there to guide and correct them.

Moey

Since when has a swat on the rear become a vilolent act such as punching? And how can anyone say that spanking is why mankind has become predisposed to conflicts such as violence and war?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Since when has a swat on the rear become a vilolent act such as punching? And how can anyone say that spanking is why mankind has become predisposed to conflicts such as violence and war?

Again, if it doesn't hurt what is the point?

Moey

It doesn't have to hurt for a small child to know that they are in trouble. Once a child gets to a certain mental age spanking is no longer required. They can comprehend why it is wrong.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
It doesn't have to hurt for a small child to know that they are in trouble. Once a child gets to a certain mental age spanking is no longer required. They can comprehend why it is wrong.
If you want them to know they're in trouble and don't want to hurt them why not just tell them?

Moey

Have you ever had to explain to a small child why something is wrong? They don't comprehend. A little swatt says to them that it was bad and not to do it.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Have you ever had to explain to a small child why something is wrong? They don't comprehend. A little swatt says to them that it was bad and not to do it.

Taking away privileges, including social interaction, and enforcing that punishment works, too. And it serves all kids. On shows like Nanny Detective and Nanny 911 the parents are usually taking something to their rear and getting nothing done.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Matter of fact I have. I'm a full time dad of 3 small kids. 2 of whom are pre-school. How is slapping going to improve their comprehension?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I believe physical punishment can an effective ALTERNATIVE when positive and non-physical negative reinforcement has failed.

Are you equating a pop on the rear to the violence seen in war?

How do you propose reprimanding your children if and when you have them. Children will do things that they aren't supposed to. And parents should be there to guide and correct them.

And when the spank becomes a paddle? A punch? Where do you cut off the line? Some parents can kick their kids without acting rage, although from my observations most people who even spank their kids are doing it out of stress and wave it off as "proper punishment."

I've worked with some pretty bad kids before [not the monsters you see on television hitting their parents, but close to it] and I never had to use physical force. In fact, if I did I probably would have been fired and sued. My taking a child's privileges away for 30 minutes was 90% effective. I did the same to my brother and sister when they were younger and got about the same results.

Moey

Matter of fact I have. I'm a full time dad of 3 small kids. 2 of whom are pre-school. How is slapping going to improve their comprehension?

Again, slapping a kid and swatting a kid on the butt are two totally different things.

I will admit that I have no children but I have helped my sister raise her and what I found was that with some children taking something away does not teach them not to do it but how to act afterwards to get their stuff back.

Although I thought the point of this thread was not weather or not spanking is right but weather or not it should be made illegal.

Moey

Well I don't believe that it is wrong. I also don't believe that the government should be able to tell parents how to raise their children. (Except in child abuse instances) I was spanked and turned out just fine.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Well I don't believe that it is wrong. I also don't believe that the government should be able to tell parents how to raise their children. (Except in child abuse instances) I was spanked and turned out just fine.

I know you don't believe it's wrong. I asked you to hypothesize on the basis of your post -"Although I thought the point of this thread was not weather or not spanking is right but weather or not it should be made illegal"
In order to find out if you could see why I think it should be illegal.

Also what about my question:- if it doesn't hurt what is the point?

Moey

The goal is not to hurt the child but a stern NO and a swat on the butt tells them it is bad and not to do it again or be punished. Just the act of doing it is enough for them to understand. IMO.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
The goal is not to hurt the child but a stern NO and a swat on the butt tells them it is bad and not to do it again or be punished. Just the act of doing it is enough for them to understand. IMO.

If it doesn't hurt then just saying 'NO' accompanied with telling them 'it is bad and not to do it again or be punished' is enough. There is no need for anyone anywhere to spank.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Perhaps we should just agree to disagree?

Ah don't give up so easy.
You might persuade me that what my kids really need is a good slap! Or I might think that there isn't a strong enough argument to back up the view that raising a hand to children is perfectly good behaviour that should be endorsed by society.

It still is a hit, and still teaches them it's okay to hit other people. There are all sorts of 'spanking'. There is hard hits where you bum is left raw, with belts, with hands, etc. It still says to a child, "It's okay to hit/spank/etc"

Yeah, but you are just narrating events which wouldn't happen with normal people. Stick to the normal things.

Normal is a spank on the bottom, if its REALLLLLLY bad, then its a harder slap on the bottom.

If i knew that, then you would not have asked that question.