• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Spanking Your Children Be Illegal?

Bishka

Veteran Member
I mis-read your post, i stand corrected.

Yes they should be hit, it teaches them a lesson to not do it again.

Hardly, it just teaches them that if they get caught doing it again they'll get hit.

Disgusting.

The punishment should be appropriate for the crime. Hitting is not an appropriate punishment for any child. Do you need me to expound on this concept (i.e. punishment fits the crime)?

Its not disgusting, calm down... For gawds sake... If they do something, they need to know they will face consequences, bad ones too. That will prevent them from doing it. I don't need you to expound on it... I know what you mean, i know what you mean, i just dont agree with it at all. There are many ways to discipline, this is just one of them, the one which some prefer.

Of which some children children respond to differently.

Moey

Since when did spanking become hitting? And not once did I see someone write that a spanking is for everytime a child does something wrong.

Im goign to make a clear distinct difference between hitting and spanking. Spanking is a little smack on the bum. It is not as bad as it sounds. It stings for a couple of seconds then teh pain goes. Not inhumane disgusting, violent, terrible, evil, whatever you want to call it becky.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Im goign to make a clear distinct difference between hitting and spanking. Spanking is a little smack on the bum. It is not as bad as it sounds. It stings for a couple of seconds then teh pain goes. Not inhumane disgusting, violent, terrible, evil, whatever you want to call it becky.

It still is a hit, and still teaches them it's okay to hit other people. There are all sorts of 'spanking'. There is hard hits where you bum is left raw, with belts, with hands, etc. It still says to a child, "It's okay to hit/spank/etc"

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
It still is a hit, and still teaches them it's okay to hit other people. There are all sorts of 'spanking'. There is hard hits where you bum is left raw, with belts, with hands, etc. It still says to a child, "It's okay to hit/spank/etc"
I see.
So no more jail time for criminals.
Because it tells children that it is ok to hold someone against their will.

No more fines for breaking the law.
Because it tells children that others can take your money.

No more making a child clean up their room.
because it tells children that they have to things they don't want to do.

No more grounding children.
Because it tells children it is ok to take away things they want to do.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Massachusetts lawmakers think so..... ABC News: Should Spanking Your Child Be Illegal?

I personally find this to be ridiculous. What do you think?

I believe it's my right as a parent to discipline my children the way I feel is best and in a manner that is effective.
I prefer not to spank my children but there are times wheni t's necessary. There are no doubt complete morons who abuse and mistreat children and these people need to be dealt with.

Responsible citizens shouldn't be told how to raise their children, especially by lawmakers.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Spanking generally helps the spanker more than the spankee. Parents most often spank when they are visibly angry, it's more of a release for them than it is a deterrent for the kid. And, spanking can do long lasting psychological harm. There are much more efficient ways to discipline.

I'm not sure if I'd want it to be illegal but I'd consider the notion that's for sure.

I disagree that "spanking generally helps the spanker more than the spankee."

You're making assumptions about a lot of people, here. Always, there are exceptions to the rule but most women that I know abhore resorting to spanking but do so when it's the only way to get through to their child, after exhausting the time outs and the positive and non-physical negative reinforcements.

There is no release for me when I have to spank Em or Roo. I hate it. But sometimes, it's the ONLY effective method.

Teaching my children right and wrong is imperative for their own benefit.

I am so thankful for my parents. My Dad had his own problems with alcoholism but he's a great Dad. My Mom and Dad found this balance between loving and nurturing us and also TEACHING us right from wrong. Sometimes, the best punishment for my behavior was a whop against the behind. And I'm GLAD my parents loved me enough to stand by what THEY BELIEVED was right.

There's nothing easy about spanking your kid. My Mom and I have had heart to hearts about how hard it was for her during my rebellions as a kid...to spank me and use tough love. But her tough love has made me who I am.

I have good parents. My in laws are good people. My sisters have great in laws.

And we were all spanked!!

Please raise your kids as you see fit. And I'd really like to do the same.

(P.S....You know I love you, right? :) )

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I see.

I can't frubal you again for this post mesty, but I completely agree with the point you are making. Following along the lines of that logic it is wrong to discipline the child period, because it teaches them that when they do something "wrong" mommy or daddy makes them do something they don't want to do.

For the record, spankings aren't what hurts children. You know what hurt, seeing my father abuse my mother at every instance he could hurt me more than any spanking they ever gave me. Seeing both my parents on drugs at separate times in my life hurt me more than any whooping. That's what hurt me. My broken home, having to raise my siblings at the tender age of 9 and basically being robbed of my childhood is what hurt me. That was disgusting and evil, and wrong, not the spankings.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I disagree that "spanking generally helps the spanker more than the spankee."

You're making assumptions about a lot of people, here. Always, there are exceptions to the rule but most women that I know abhore resorting to spanking but do so when it's the only way to get through to their child, after exhausting the time outs and the positive and non-physical negative reinforcements.

There is no release for me when I have to spank Em or Roo. I hate it. But sometimes, it's the ONLY effective method.

Teaching my children right and wrong is imperative for their own benefit.

I am so thankful for my parents. My Dad had his own problems with alcoholism but he's a great Dad. My Mom and Dad found this balance between loving and nurturing us and also TEACHING us right from wrong. Sometimes, the best punishment for my behavior was a whop against the behind. And I'm GLAD my parents loved me enough to stand by what THEY BELIEVED was right.

There's nothing easy about spanking your kid. My Mom and I have had heart to hearts about how hard it was for her during my rebellions as a kid...to spank me and use tough love. But her tough love has made me who I am.

I have good parents. My in laws are good people. My sisters have great in laws.

And we were all spanked!!

Please raise your kids as you see fit. And I'd really like to do the same.

(P.S....You know I love you, right? :) )

I can't say enough how wonderful that post was. I think alot of people here are making a judgement call on others for one facet of child-rearing. Parents are more than their discipline. I created, as best I could, a balance whereby I did spank on occasion, but expressed beyond a shadow of their doubt that I loved them, and would die for them if need be. They knew that I cared for them and made all manner of sacrifice for their well-being. A parent who spanks is not an evil lazy parent who just want to have an excuse to hit their own flesh and blood without consequence. I hated administering spankings. I tried to reason with them to explain how much I just wanted simple obedience to simple orders and nothing more. When they corrected their own behaviour it was even better.

I refuse that I got some kind of release when I spanked them, because I never did it while angry. Always I calmed down first, I was never joyed to give out tough punishment/

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
And it is your belief that certain humans require physical punishment for them to be taught right and wrong? That's rather disappointing, but I think you'll find untrue. Recently studies have been taken on the topic, and most conclude spanking results in negative consequences. You can read one those here.

We [understood to be humans] are always amazed by mankind's desire for war and violence. Could it be that our use of violence at a young age, however well-intentioned, invites the argument "violence is okay if...." :sarcastic

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I can't frubal you again for this post mesty, but I completely agree with the point you are making. Following along the lines of that logic it is wrong to discipline the child period, because it teaches them that when they do something "wrong" mommy or daddy makes them do something they don't want to do.

For the record, spankings aren't what hurts children. You know what hurt, seeing my father abuse my mother at every instance he could hurt me more than any spanking they ever gave me. Seeing both my parents on drugs at separate times in my life hurt me more than any whooping. That's what hurt me. My broken home, having to raise my siblings at the tender age of 9 and basically being robbed of my childhood is what hurt me. That was disgusting and evil, and wrong, not the spankings.

Punishment is not the same as violence. That misconception unfortunately carries over into our culture and prison system. You can punish your best friend by not talking to him. You don't have to spank him so there's a physical reaction. Children yearn attention just like anyone else.

While I'm hesitant to respond to your second paragraph, I just want to make clear that at one time hurting spouses was acceptable for the same reasons corporal punishment has some traction today.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I see.

Hardly. :rolleyes:

Children do not need to be hit or spanked. The law is the law, children are different. If you teach them early then perhaps they can avoid those problems.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I have one question that anyone can answer...why is child spanking being compared in any way shape or form to wife-beating? They aren't that same thing so why are they being compared at all?

Luke_17:2

Fundamental Bible-thumper
Some parents' ideas of raising children is a swift fist in the face. These kids tend to be the most obedient persons you'll ever find.

Yes they are. But beating up children is abuse -that does leave damage. Spanking isn't anymore abuse then grounding, detention, or any other type of "tough love".

If spanking is seen as violence, the parent has no "right" to spank their kid.

Seen by who as violence? I'd ask you if you were a communist, but I already know you are. So I'll say this; if you mean the government "sees it" as violence, then I'll tell you that 80 years ago the government saw alcohol as evil.

It doesn't matter what the government thinks. They're responsibility is clearly defined, and matters of the family unit does not enter into that sphere.

The idea humans need violence for a sense of right and wrong to be instilled is not only wrong; it's scary.

This is the typical thing a liberal will do. It's not enough to disagree and argue the point; you must use hominem arguments to win your battles. You say it's scary, therefore implying that people who believe in spanking are somehow evil. Therefore justifying enforcing your beliefs in society.

I don't care what you think is scary. I think soviet communism is scary, but you seem to be warmed right up to it. It's all very subjective, isn't it? What one thinks? That's why we have a constitutional republic, and not a democracy.

I'll tell you what I know; the people who were disciplined enough to build nations were raised with spanking -what do you see in the current generation? Discipline? No. How can a country survive without discipline?